OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for me, we have four biometric safes throughout our house. I put my hand on it and it opens within seconds. I also have a highly trained 100lb Doberman to buy me time.

I think for schools it's a bit more complicated, but I think securing campuses and having more security, possibly having trained members of faculty who are armed and permitting college students to carry could help.

There were people on campus with CCW's they either did go help or were prevented from doing so. (heard reports both way)

Comparing countries is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges.

For one, Austrailia population is much lower than US (July 2014 est.) :
US = 318,892,103 VS Austrailia = 22,507,617

http://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/compare/united-states.australia

All European countries combined obviously may have more population but when considering how Europe is broken down into different parts like France, Spain, etc. each behaves like a different society to some extent.

And considering the differences in the cultures, laws, freedom, breakdown, etc. of all those different places, it is not comparing apples to apples.

And its not to say that both Austrailia and Europe have been immune to recent shootings of multiple people. The recent Austrailia Sydney Café hostage situation and Im just reading about today's Parramatta shooting in Austrailia. Europe having the Norway mass murder of 80 and the terrible other mass shootings they have had.

But again, its like comparing apples to oranges because of all the differences. So I don't think you can compare or even claim that they don't have issues just because of their gun laws.

No matter how you slice and dice it, the per capita death rate by fire arms in the USA far exceeds any other developed country .. As in per 100,000. Culturally we are not that different to each other, Europe, Australia, Canada, the States .. There is one glaring difference in the States however, and you pay the price.

So, how much time will you have when he kicks in your door and shoots you dead?

Your forgetting that all situations are different. Each and every situation is different.

Sometimes there is ample time. Like if you hear someone breaking the glass of one of your windows you would have time to access a weapon and be ready if he proceeds to crawl through that window to attack, rape, rob, or kill you.

Similar with schools. People forget that it would only be for teachers who would want to have a conceal carry permit and are comfortable using their weapon that would elect to have one.

No teacher that does not want a weapon would ever be forced to carry one. It would only be for those teachers that want one and have the permit and training required to have one.

Some cases where a school shooter is working their way down a hallway from room to room seems like it would allow time for an armed teacher to be ready for him if he opens the door and didn't expect someone to shoot back for once.

Instead of being sitting ducks.

Your forgetting that all situations are different. Each and every situation is different.

Sometimes there is ample time. Like if you hear someone breaking the glass of one of your windows you would have time to access a weapon and be ready if he proceeds to crawl through that window to attack, rape, rob, or kill you.

Similar with schools. People forget that it would only be for teachers who would want to have a conceal carry permit and are comfortable using their weapon that would elect to have one.

No teacher that does not want a weapon would ever be forced to carry one. It would only be for those teachers that want one and have the permit and training required to have one.

Some cases where a school shooter is working their way down a hallway from room to room seems like it would allow time for an armed teacher to be ready for him if he opens the door and didn't expect someone to shoot back for once.

Instead of being sitting ducks.

That's true. In this case though, I fail to understand how it would have helped since the killer seems to have headed directly to where he wanted to go and had the element of surprise on his side.

<modsnip>
If there had been CCPs allowed by students or an armed Security Guard on campus yesterday. The outcome would have likely been much different, imo..

Only in movies and video games. Not in real life.

[video=youtube;8QjZY3WiO9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s[/video]

Those single mentally unstable terrorists are mass murdering people sever times a day in the US. Students can't go to school without having to worry about homicidal maniacs, armed with semiautomatic weapons busting into their classrooms and murdering them. Yes, I call them gun roaming hoards. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the world except maybe a few third world banana republics.

"Several times a day" ? Link please.

I think people are getting confused with gang shootings and inner city violence shootings that has nothing to do with schools.

How many teachers would walk off the job tomorrow of we told them they had to carry on campus?

These akward young men often have high expectations, they dont get a grip in life.
Somehow fall through the cracks, go unnoticed . Spend time online but socially akward, often with mental disorders.
No wonder they fail to attract women and are lonely,
They are almost born losers, low self-esteem, hating everybody,

Someone may be needs to educate them, what skills they need to be successful in life, what's realistic ,whats not.

And no you dont have to be famous, only a few are, to be respected and successful in life.
Losers also think they are entitled to everything, terrible mentality, they are not prepared to fight and work hard for success.

Those spree killers/shooters somehow accept that they are ultimate failures, that they never had any chance in life.
NO GUTS.

All jmo

Sent via Tapatalk

That's true. In this case though, I fail to understand how it would have helped since the killer seems to have headed directly to where he wanted to go and had the element of surprise on his side.

Why is the answer more often about meet the shooter and fight back with a gun, not prevent the shooter from getting a gun and arriving on the scene with it in the first place?

We've resigned to letting these cowards show up wherever they want, whenever they want, and carrying the weapons of their choice.

Sigh.

How many teachers would walk off the job tomorrow of we told them they had to carry on campus?

That's quite possible. And let's not overlook the possibility of mentally unstable educators carrying.

Just gotta add this. I have a friend who is solid GOP and pro-NRA. She was a high school teacher - ditzy as heck, unable to see well in one eye. She staunchly stated if permitted by the district, she would carry. Lord help us.

Well for me, we have four biometric safes throughout our house. I put my hand on it and it opens within seconds. I also have a highly trained 100lb Doberman to buy me time.

I think for schools it's a bit more complicated, but I think securing campuses and having more security, possibly having trained members of faculty who are armed and permitting college students to carry could help.

You shouldn't have to live like that in a developed country.

That's quite possible. And let's not overlook the possibility of mentally unstable educators carrying.

Right? "You don't have to carry, but several of your coworkers will be, including Mr. Jones, the guy who broke up with his wife and puked on your new suit at Christmas. Ms. Smith, who spent six weeks in the psych ward might be packing too. Stay safe!"

So, how much time will you have when he kicks in your door and shoots you dead?

You may not have any.. But you may have that chance to save kids and even yourself.
That chance is worth something.

You shouldn't have to live like that in a developed country.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, I have a stalker who had stalked me since I was 15, and who has physically attacked me. For me, that is what it takes to feel safe.

The initial attack is always hard to stop even for a security guard if the criminal just whips out a weapon and starts to fire.

I read that we went from one building over to another science building. I read that it lasted about 10 minutes or so before he was taken down by the officers that showed up and so I think there was a little time if there would have been an armed person somewhere.

I personally would prefer having armed trained security staff on hand for each school. I know its costly but it would be a wise investment. I would rather have trained people there just for job of protection. Then it gets into cost and how many guards are enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngluteplayer