OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Woah....this article states he was discharged from the army due to a suicide attempt!

In 2008 he joined the army and tries to kill himself after 4 weeks of basic training? Then in 2010 he ends up in a psyche hospital?

Why wasn't he flagged in the system??? He obviously had a LOT of mental problems and he was under psychiatric care at least TWICE in the last few years.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/accused...from-army-after-attempting-suicide-1444249903

So at least 7 years it was known that he was suicidal? great Have we seen or heard from mommy yet?

She also opened up about her difficulties raising a son who used to bang his head against the wall, and said that both she and her son struggled with Asperger’s syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/mother-of-oregon-gunman-wrote-of-keeping-firearms.html?_r=0

At night, when his mother went to her nursing jobs, a neighbor whose bedroom was directly below Mr. Harper-Mercer’s frequently heard him pacing until 3 or 4 in the morning, the neighbor said. She complained to her own family about the noise, but never mentioned it to Mr. Harper-Mercer or his mother.

She also opened up about her difficulties raising a son who used to bang his head against the wall, and said that both she and her son struggled with Asperger’s syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/mother-of-oregon-gunman-wrote-of-keeping-firearms.html?_r=0

At night, when his mother went to her nursing jobs, a neighbor whose bedroom was directly below Mr. Harper-Mercer’s frequently heard him pacing until 3 or 4 in the morning, the neighbor said. She complained to her own family about the noise, but never mentioned it to Mr. Harper-Mercer or his mother.

Of course he had autism :eyeroll:

Not sure where the link is but Mom sure sugar coated in recent comments. So lets surround a suicidal kid with many, many guns :banghead:

And mom was a "licensed medical professional". :facepalm:

I have tried to think of ways to allow reporting of individuals like him to some type of database that could prevent gun buying and I keep running into a roadblock.

I was thinking along the lines of how schools and doctors have to report to authorities if a child shows signs of child abuse. Its a good example because then the child gets checked out and sometimes it turns out he or she is not being abused. There is no harm or foul in that case.
Sometimes it also identifies a victim of child abuse and the system works.

The problem with trying to do that for mental issues is I keep hitting a roadblock because we don't want people not to seek treatment.
I thought maybe pharmacies could report if a certain drug is prescribed but then it may cause people not to seek treatment.

Same with phych doctors being able to report.

And the other huge problem is someone has to make a judgement call. It is very difficult for shooters like him. Some people who are dangerous would not be easily identified.

The reason it works well with child abuse is there is usually a definite Yes or No. Its either the kid is being abused or they are not.

The mental aspects of people that should not have guns is a huge GREY area. That is what makes it so difficult. And we don't want to do anything that would keep people from wanting to get help.

Maybe the parents is the answer. Have a process where a parent could report their own child to prevent gun ownership. Or allow other family members to also report. Someone with a valid family connection.

Its a really tough thing to try to develop something like that. All kinds of grey issues start to come into play. For example a parent may just be mad at their child and report them and maybe they are not really ill.

Maybe we error on side of safety and if a person is reported then they have to go to a federally licensed doctor for further evaluation if they still want to obtain a gun. Questionaiires and tests could be developed.

Its all very difficult to create something like that but I do think it is possible. Would take lots of work and a task force assigned to develop some new process.

Me too, I thought it a very odd coincidence. Just Hmmm

I noticed too, but had a different response- -despair how readily many Americans seem to resort to weapons in response to every kind of "threat," real or imagined.

Hatfield I see what you are saying, one of the problems is who gets to say who is on the list and who is not? With the way the healthcare is now, I had a recent hospital visit, (pneumonia)and was given a web link to follow up and have a second xray so it could be added to my list of med issues, I didn't do it and am not going for follow up xray. Hard headed I am but they can profile others. jmo idk

Hatfield I see what you are saying, one of the problems is who gets to say who is on the list and who is not? With the way the healthcare is now, I had a recent hospital visit, (pneumonia)and was given a web link to follow up and have a second xray so it could be added to my list of med issues, I didn't do it and am not going for follow up xray. Hard headed I am but they can profile others. jmo idk

I know exactly what you mean.

With so many hackers that can steal identity I try to avoid signing up for anything anywhere and especially on the internet. I hate it that more and more things are requiring us to sign up for things on the internet. Its horrible and just not right because our info can be hacked.

I was just watching CNN last night and they had a report about an elderly gentleman who was scammed by people using the "you won the lottery" scam.

He killed himself after being cheated out of lots of money and they kept calling him over and over for 3 years for more money. They were threatening him and he had dementia and he killed himself over it. It was terribly sad.
The family thinks they got his name and number from some sort of database related to healthcare. Uggggg

I received 2 different notifications about my information has been included on databases that were hacked. TWO DIFFERENT TIMES already for 2 different unrelated databases. One was healthcare related.

So now I have to always worry about my identity being used. It is crazy and just not right.

And all the companies do when this happens is give you free access to sign up for credit monitoring. LOL

The last thing I want to do is go on the internet and sign up for something else related to that.
And to top it off the credit monitoring people want me to sign up using my SSN. LOL
Sorry but Ill watch my own credit.

It is crazy and just out of control. It is sad that we are now making choices not to participate in certain things because of this issue. Things like your example where we really need something but its too dangerous to sign up anymore.

I don't even sign up for free things at the fair anymore. I learned that lesson years ago. I had signed up for free giveaways at the fair and for the next year I started getting all kinds of solicitors calling me and mailing me offers. It finally dawned on me that they got my phone number and address from the fair giveaways.

I NEVER do that anymore. Its sad that I cant even try to win a free car anymore. :)

Probably she would have been shot had she complained. JMO

I have tried to think of ways to allow reporting of individuals like him to some type of database that could prevent gun buying and I keep running into a roadblock.

States can and do make their own laws (in addition to Federal Laws). In Georgia if a person wants a carry permit and they have been an inpatient in a mental health/alcohol or drug treatment facility in the last 5 years they need to sign a waiver releasing their records for review.

The judge of the probate court may require any applicant to sign a waiver authorizing any mental hospital or treatment center to inform the judge whether or not the applicant has been an inpatient in any such facility in the last five years and authorizing the superintendent of such facility to make to the judge a recommendation regarding whether the applicant is a threat to the safety of others and whether a license to carry a weapon should be issued.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

Personally I believe a similar law enforced by EACH STATE (not the feds) would be a reasonable option. Wouldn't be easy to facilitate even if NICS were used but state level enforcement would be key to gaining support.

It would have allowed the doctors in Mercer's case a voice in the matter without them having to commit him involuntarily and involve the courts.

Of course he could have just used his mom's guns. On that note I wonder if he DID use some of his mom's weapons??? Any word on that?

When I was in school they had us (students) crawl under owe desk & cover our heads, (like that was going to save us), & we had bomb shelters as well. Last I heard it was a right not an addiction, for some that like to collect things others may see it as addictions & that's fine, but I don't call stamp collectors addicts so I wouldn't think to call a gun collector an addict. jmo idk

The definition of an addiction. If a stamp collection interferes with aspects of life, it would be an addiciton.

A suicidal mentally unstable young man that wears camo everyday, idolizes the IRA, and has a history of angry outbursts.

Where was he getting the money to buy all of his firearms? Was he on SSI? Was he mother giving him money?

I know it is not practical for various reasons (slippery legal slope etc...) but I wish the mother could be held partially accountable. She knew he was unbalanced, suicidal and prone to anger issues yet she encouraged him to own multiple weapons.

And then what does she do? She "runs away" and hides after this happens, and the media gives her a "free pass".

I have seen quotes about prying guns from dead hands so I don't see anything unusual in her love of guns, I have seen similar things to what she has said on WS.

No one can force her to be seen or to speak. If you read the article about getting a picture of herself for a nametag for work, you will see that this is standard for her. She would not allow a picture to be taken.

I have read similar sentiments on WS re rights. She is exercising her rights, She has broken no laws.

Last I heard it was a right not an addiction, for some that like to collect things others may see it as addictions & that's fine, but I don't call stamp collectors addicts so I wouldn't think to call a gun collector an addict. jmo idk

Addicts LOL. As there were an epidemic of "firearm addicts" mortgaging their homes and losing their life savings after week long binges on gun auction sites.

Have to admit those sites are pretty darn tempting, especially after a couple of beers. That "buy now" button has surely lead to more than a few impulse buys. :blushing:

(For those that are not familiar with auction sites, buyers still go through the background check).

Addicts LOL. As there were an epidemic of "firearm addicts" mortgaging their homes and losing their life savings after week long binges on gun auction sites.

Have to admit those sites are pretty darn tempting, especially after a couple of beers. That "buy now" button has surely lead to some impulse purchases. :blushing:

That is not everything about addiction. That could be just one thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back