OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is a long (11 minutes) youtube from a retired gun loving LE.

He goes through what is on a Fed firearms form and he nails it. You self report if you are a fugitive or if you have mental health issues.

Interesting vid. Makes great points,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN6rjamk0Q0
5 days ago - Uploaded by Mark Carman
To All Responsible Gun Owners! ... +Mark Carman I understand better now, it's not uniform ...

Personally, I don't think it's fair or accurate to imply that someone who collects guns is addicted to guns. I'm not a fan of guns at all, but if a normal person who is functioning in society has a safely stored collection, and uses them responsibly, I don't consider it an addiction. People have interests I don't understand and they might not understand mine. Hey, I might be more addicted to WS than they are to their guns! :D

There are many people in this country who are responsible gun owners/collectors who feel very threatened by potentially restrictive gun law proposals. They're afraid that if they give an inch, they will lose it all. That's not addiction. I can understand where they are coming from (without agreeing) and I hope they can understand why I feel threatened by people like these shooters and by gun owners who won't even consider various options. It's such a hugely complex issue, and I really doubt that there is a guaranteed solution that retains people's rights, but protects people at the same time. It's a mess. JMO

Personally, I don't think it's fair or accurate to imply that someone who collects guns is addicted to guns. I'm not a fan of guns at all, but if a normal person who is functioning in society has a safely stored collection, and uses them responsibly, I don't consider it an addiction. People have interests I don't understand and they might not understand mine. Hey, I might be more addicted to WS than they are to their guns! :D

There are many people in this country who are responsible gun owners/collectors who feel very threatened by potentially restrictive gun law proposals. They're afraid that if they give an inch, they will lose it all. That's not addiction. I can understand where they are coming from (without agreeing) and I hope they can understand why I feel threatened by people like these shooters and by gun owners who won't even consider various options. It's such a hugely complex issue, and I really doubt that there is a guaranteed solution that retains people's rights, but protects people at the same time. It's a mess. JMO

The addiction-- when guns are more important than anything. That is an addiction.

Yes, she could possibly be charged. If she knew he was mentally ill and she helped him acquire weapons OR knew he had weapons she could be held responsible.

Investigators probe Oregon gunman's relationship with mother:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/45266400...mans-relationship-with-mother/?#sp=show-clips

Well, that was clear as mud. In the youtube I posted. It says you can buy guns ftom a private person with no background check.

Th killer spent time in a mental istitution as a teen? Does that change things as he was a minor?

Lots of questions

Well, that was clear as mud. In the youtube I posted. It says you can buy guns ftom a private person with no background check.

Th killer spent time in a mental istitution as a teen? Does that change things as he was a minor?

Lots of questions

He was in the psyche hospital in 2010, so he was what...21 at the time? And in 2008 he was discharged from the army after a suicide attempt.

There have been several comments about medication, and how he wouldn't take his meds which is why he ended up in the psych ward in 2010. Who was writing the script???

She said she saw Harper-Mercer leave 3 baskets of clothes at the dumpster the day before the shooting.

“It just seemed like he was never coming back again, which he didn’t,” she said.She said her friend in the complex gave Harper-Mercer’s mother a ride recently, and now she wonders if there were signs.

“When she was riding with the mother, they were talking about all different things and she had mentioned her son had been pretty depressed for quite a while,” Marks told KOIN 6 News. “Then they met later and she was introduced to him at the house and the mother mentioned how he just stays on his computer behind a closed door in his room all the time.”

http://koin.com/2015/10/01/the-gunman-what-we-know-so-far/

Hatfield, following up on your post about the challenges of screening people for mental health issues for gun purchases. Have you seen this?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

I'd love to hear your, and everyone else's thoughts, about this. Its a graphic showing a bit of the history and process that fourteen of recent mass shooters used to obtain their weapons.

After reading it, I found myself really scratching my head about possible solutions.

I think the best one is for more people to start paying attention to red flags/warning signs in acquaintances, co-workers, neighbors, friends, and family members, and then reporting folks to the threat assessment teams in law enforcement.

Based on reading that threat assessment article I linked a while back, I do think that if more effort had been made, Elliott Rodgers and Seung-Hui Cho could have been intercepted beforehand. I'd like to think Adam Lanza could have if the dad and brother had gone to law enforcement and expressed concern about the weapons in the home. I hope that more and more families with children/teens/young adults who are showing these sorts of patterns start to become more attuned, and at the very least, make sure they cannot access weapons.

But no easy answers regardless.

I have seen quotes about prying guns from dead hands so I don't see anything unusual in her love of guns, I have seen similar things to what she has said on WS.

No one can force her to be seen or to speak. If you read the article about getting a picture of herself for a nametag for work, you will see that this is standard for her. She would not allow a picture to be taken.

I have read similar sentiments on WS re rights. She is exercising her rights, She has broken no laws.

BBM At my workplace, refusal to have your photo taken for your id badge would end your employment right there. Photos on id badges are for the protection of both clients and coworkers. I'm gobsmacked that an employer would actually cave to that.

BBM At my workplace, refusal to have your photo taken for your id badge would end your employment right there. Photos on id badges are for the protection of both clients and coworkers. I'm gobsmacked that an employer would actually cave to that.

I read she joined some nurses group and they asked for a copy of her badge, she refused them. She didn't refuse her employer.

Hatfield, following up on your post about the challenges of screening people for mental health issues for gun purchases. Have you seen this?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

I'd love to hear your, and everyone else's thoughts, about this. Its a graphic showing a bit of the history and process that fourteen of recent mass shooters used to obtain their weapons.

After reading it, I found myself really scratching my head about possible solutions.

I think the best one is for more people to start paying attention to red flags/warning signs in acquaintances, co-workers, neighbors, friends, and family members, and then reporting folks to the threat assessment teams in law enforcement.

Based on reading that threat assessment article I linked a while back, I do think that if more effort had been made, Elliott Rodgers and Seung-Hui Cho could have been intercepted beforehand. I'd like to think Adam Lanza could have if the dad and brother had gone to law enforcement and expressed concern about the weapons in the home. I hope that more and more families with children/teens/young adults who are showing these sorts of patterns start to become more attuned, and at the very least, make sure they cannot access weapons.

But no easy answers regardless.

Legal, legal, legal, etc.

Who knew in the La--- case that there were all of these guns? Mom? No help there.

Who knew in this Oregon case? Mom? No help there.

Who knows as these people are loners.

As the Onion article says, we simply don't know what the problem is

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-36131

The addiction-- when guns are more important than anything. That is an addiction.

Yes, like with anything if it gets to the point where it's not a choice and interferes with your life it's a problem. A person can be a collector of anything - cars, books, sports memorabilia - but if it's a compulsion (like hoarding) then it's an addiction and sign of trouble.

For instance, Beanie Babies:

How one family went bankrupt spending $100,000 on Beanie Babies

Some good news...the service dog that was with Sarena Moore during the shooting is apparently fine, at least physically, and has been returned to her family.

Turns out the pup's name is "Bullet" of all things.

oregon7n-5-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/photos/dn-photographers/photographer?author=Anthony-DelMundo

He was in the psyche hospital in 2010, so he was what...21 at the time? And in 2008 he was discharged from the army after a suicide attempt.

There have been several comments about medication, and how he wouldn't take his meds which is why he ended up in the psych ward in 2010. Who was writing the script???

The mother told the other person about the psych hospital in 2010, doesn't mean it happened in 2010. Since she seems to have had the ability to get him out, if it was in 2010 was she appointed his conservator?

The mother told the other person about the psych hospital in 2010, doesn't mean it happened in 2010. Since she seems to have had the ability to get him out, if it was in 2010 was she appointed his conservator?

So much of what she says doesn't add up, or there are so many details missing it doesn't make sense. I wonder if she even knows what the truth is.

JMO.

"Chris Mintz, dubbed the “Oregon Shooting Hero” for his attempts to save classmates during the attack, has been released from the hospital to $800,000 raised towards his medical bills.

An update posted on the page Tuesday links out to pages for other victims of the shooting and says, “We just want to make sure that before you donate to Chris, please remember all of the other victims and consider helping them out if you can. It is what Chris would want.”

What a class act, all the way around.

Prayers for your continued healing, Chris.

http://time.com/4066710/chris-mintz-oregon-hospital-********/

Released? Wow. The $800,000 should be used for any care at home.

Released? Wow. The $800,000 should be used for any care at home.

He apparently has a LOT of physical therapy ahead of him, especially his two broken legs. There's more info at the family's page.

I believe I heard on OPB radio today that all of the survivors are now out of the hospital.

I read she joined some nurses group and they asked for a copy of her badge, she refused them. She didn't refuse her employer.

She refused to take a picture for a badge, not a copy of her badge. She told them she didn't like to have her picture taken.

When Harper's nursing agency held a meeting in Steele's house three weeks ago with the other nurses assigned to the family, the agency asked Harper to take a photo for a badge, but she refused.

EXCLUSIVE: Mom of Oregon mass killer stockpiled firearms out of fear of stricter gun laws, took son to shooting range

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back