OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The mother told the other person about the psych hospital in 2010, doesn't mean it happened in 2010. Since she seems to have had the ability to get him out, if it was in 2010 was she appointed his conservator?

I looked that up and it wasn't 2010 after all, I think it was mentioned in an article that was also quoting posts from 2010. She told another nurse in 2005 while they were working, so yeah he was a minor at that time.

The other nurse doesn't say much in the interview.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/10/07/oregon-shooting-mom-friend-newday.cnn

Really interesting data on mental health and how the "safe" EU nations compare to the US.

They have over 10 times the number of people as in-patients in mental hospitals! Many have as many as 100-200 patients per 100k, yet the US has less than 14 beds per 100k available at any time.

According to a 2002 report [PDF] by Central Institute of Mental Health for the European Union, the number of involuntarily detained mental patients, per 100,000 people, in other countries looks like this:

Austria, 175
Finland, 218
Germany, 175
Sweden, 114
England, 93

http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_projects/2000/promotion/fp_promotion_2000_frep_08_en.pdf

The US had 14 beds per 100k in 2010, and it has gone down since then! In the 1950's the US had about 350 beds per 100k.

Bed availability - nationwide

A total of 43,318 public psychiatric beds were available in 2010, a reduction of 7,191 beds, or 14%, since 2005 (Table 1). The number of beds in 2010 was 14.1 per 100,000 compared with 17.1 per 100,000 in 2005.

Compared to the minimum number of public psychiatric beds deemed necessary for adequate psychiatric services (50/100,000 population), the combined 50 states provided only 28% of the beds needed nationwide in 2010. No state provided 50 beds per 100,000, and 15 states provided fewer than ten beds per 100,000 people. Minnesota, for example, provided 3.9.

http://www.tacreports.org/trends-in-availability

Now grant it the numbers of referring to public beds, not private hospitals. I would assume most hospitals in the EU are public. But since many cannot afford private psych hospitalization 14 is just plain shameful.

Yup, There are patients with mental health issues in the EU and plenty of them. They get psychotropic drugs as well.

So, what is the difference between the US and the EU?

I believe they keep people in the hospital longer and do not release people as quickly,

In France, a nurse comes to the home of a new mother for a year, There are liberal parental leave options as well as vacation.

When I was in England, I was talking to a woman who worked at Harrods, She said she was a shopgirl but received 6 weeks paid vacation a year, She could not understand the intense work demands of the US.

I had a teacher friend who spent a year teaching school in England. She said teachers walked around with their cup of tea and made hair appts during the day.

She had to go to the doctor and was going to pay, They had no mechanism for taking money so they just gave her a free appt, They also have free transportation, if needed, to the doctor.

And of course, they have no unregulated access to guns.

I don't agree with this, but I had a young friend who taught in Australia for a year, On Friday afternoons, they had cocktails in the teacher's lounge.

There is a whole world out there that we could learn from because the American way apoears to have some huge meltdown

I was shocked recently to find how little "time off" Americans get. In the UK 4-6 weeks annual leave is standard, plus the 8 bank holiday days depending which industry you're in. A national law firm I worked for gave everyone their birthday off plus a day for Xmas shopping. My husband gets the Queens birthday off (I still can't figure that one...). I also opted to "buy" a few extra days for a small reduction in monthly salary. The last full year that I worked for them I had a total of 45 days leave - 9 weeks off. Add to that the wonder that is flexi-time (work extra hours to gain extra leave) and we managed to have a 4 month backpacking honeymoon that year, well over half of it on full pay! We are very lucky in this respect, I believe other European countries are comparable, if not even more generous.

I was shocked recently to find how little "time off" Americans get. In the UK 4-6 weeks annual leave is standard, plus the 8 bank holiday days depending which industry you're in. A national law firm I worked for gave everyone their birthday off plus a day for Xmas shopping. My husband gets the Queens birthday off (I still can't figure that one...). I also opted to "buy" a few extra days for a small reduction in monthly salary. The last full year that I worked for them I had a total of 45 days leave - 9 weeks off. Add to that the wonder that is flexi-time (work extra hours to gain extra leave) and we managed to have a 4 month backpacking honeymoon that year, well over half of it on full pay! We are very lucky in this respect, I believe other European countries are comparable, if not even more generous.

Sigh. Lucky. Can I come live with you???:tantrum:

Now off to bed. I have to get up at 5 and go to work. God bless America.

"Lucas Eibel, 18, came from a family that friends describe as extremely close. He was born in Portland to Keith and Donna Eibel, along with three siblings as a set of quadruplets.

“He really was amazing, you know. He always had a smile on his face,” said Leila Goulet, education coordinator for the Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon.

Goulet spent a summer in 2014 working with Eibel as part of the Safari’s “junior zookeeper volunteer program.

Goulet says Wildlife Safari plans to put up a remembrance plaque in Eibel’s honor. They also plan to fulfill a request from Lucas’ mom: Name a baby animal after him. ”

Church on the Rise will hold a memorial service for Eibel at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 10. His family asked that donations go to the Roseburg FFA, victim relief funds, Wildlife Safari and Saving Grace Animal Shelter."

Rest in Peace, Lucas.

Much more about Lucas at the link:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/lucas-eibel-remembered-as-lover-of-animals-and-life/

Sarena Moore, 44, was in her third semester at Umpqua Community College studying business.

What defined her, friends and family said, was her incredible capacity for love and her infectious positive attitude.

“She had a caring heart that was bigger than life itself,” her family wrote in a statement.

As an adult, Moore lived in Nevada and spent time volunteering with a homeless shelter and with the Special Olympics. She was married twice, and raised three sons.

The Seventh Day Adventist Churches in Grants Pass and Myrtle Creek have both held memorial services for Moore.

“There are some that believe that had Sarena known her shooter, she would have cared for him as much as she does everyone else,” her family said in a statement.

Rest in Peace, Sarena.

Much more at the link:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/roseburg-oregon-love-remembering-sarena-moore/

Jason Johnson, 33, was in his first week at Umpqua Community College.

School was a new start for him. Last year, he was arrested along with his brother on drug charges and a parole violation. According to media reports, he had recently finished a treatment program at the Salvation Army.

The Oregonian reported that Johnson was born in Hawaii and grew up in California. He moved to the Roseburg area in 2008.

According to The Oregonian, Thursday was Johnson’s birthday. He would’ve been 34 years old.

Rest in Peace, Jason.

Much more at link:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/jason-johnson-ucc-shooting-oregon-victim/

Friends describe Larry Levine as a quiet man who loved rivers, his fishing buddies and the blues. Levine was an English instructor at Umpqua Community College. He even looked the part of a professor, with a grizzled gray beard, and sometimes smoking a pipe.

In the fall, he would disappear into the forest for long stretches. Then he’d show up at his friend’s homes with bags of wild mushrooms as gifts.

Friend Joe Howell: “I just would like his legacy to be how much he loved the river, fly fishing and its environs and everything connected to it. “He was jovial and always joking and laughing. I never heard him say an unkind word about anybody. He had a big heart.”

In an essay in Fly Fisherman magazine Levine described a moment while fishing, eating a peanut butter jelly sandwich on a warm day.

He wrote:”Standing in the sun overlooking the river, I think there has never been a more delicious moment.”

Rest in Peace, Larry.

Much more about Larry at the link:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/roseburg-remembering-lawrence-levine/

I have no "time on"-how about that!

Jason Johnson, 33, was in his first week at Umpqua Community College.

School was a new start for him. Last year, he was arrested along with his brother on drug charges and a parole violation. According to media reports, he had recently finished a treatment program at the Salvation Army.

The Oregonian reported that Johnson was born in Hawaii and grew up in California. He moved to the Roseburg area in 2008.

According to The Oregonian, Thursday was Johnson’s birthday. He would’ve been 34 years old.

Rest in Peace, Jason.

Much more at link:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/jason-johnson-ucc-shooting-oregon-victim/

Tears.

President Obama visited survivors in Roseburg and spoke at the highschool during part of his trip to the west coast. The unrelenting divisiveness saddens me. It wasn't the time to discuss issues, and the President understood that. He was there to give comfort, human to human. I would have loved to see the community make a decision to show respect for his office, set aside their feelings for a short time, and accept his condolences graciously. Civility and human kindness are the road to solutions. JMO

ROSEBURG -- President Obama, visiting a city Friday where emotions are still raw from last week's shooting massacre, was alternately berated by hundreds of demonstrators and warmly embraced by many survivors of the victims.
The president met privately for about an hour with about 40 people, including survivors of at least three of the nine dead, and made only a short public statement afterward. Many in the community have said they were angered by his pro-gun-control remarks hours after the shooting at Umpqua Community College.

However, the president added, "Today it's about the families and their grief, and the love we feel for them. And they surely do appreciate all the support that they've received."
One woman, leaving the high school after meeting the president, refused to stop for an interview. But she said emphatically, "It wasn't a discussion, it was a hug."

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...n_roseburg_it_wasnt_a_d.html#incart_big-photo

Sigh. Lucky. Can I come live with you???:tantrum:

Now off to bed. I have to get up at 5 and go to work. God bless America.

Yeah, haha! We have PLENTY to moan about while we're on our days off though! Back on topic I must admit I am very glad we don't have much gun crime to contend with. There's only ever been one school shooting here, Dunblane in 1996. It shocked us to the core:

"Within a year and a half of the Dunblane massacre, UK lawmakers had passed a ban on the private ownership of all handguns in mainland Britain, giving the country some of the toughest anti-gun legislation in the world. There were firearm amnesties across the UK, resulting in the surrender of thousands of firearms and rounds of ammunition"

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/17/world/europe/dunblane-lessons/

President Obama visited survivors in Roseburg and spoke at the highschool during part of his trip to the west coast.

including survivors of at least three of the nine dead, and made only a short public statement afterward

Three? Hmmmm...pretty clear message IMO.

Apparently the visit was a bit covert, and the families weren't invited until the last minute. The "private" meeting forced invitees to leave their cell phones outside and there was no press access.

Three? Hmmmm...pretty clear message IMO.

Apparently the visit was a bit covert, and the families weren't invited until the last minute. The "private" meeting forced invitees to leave their cell phones outside and there was no press access.

Please provide a MSM link for your post, per WS TOS.

This is JUST MY OPINION but on a day when so many of the victims are being laid to rest it would be nice if this thread could remain focused on the victims.

This is JUST MY OPINION but on a day when so many of the victims are being laid to rest it would be nice if this thread could remain focused on the victims.

It's MY OPINION too, and I'm sorry I posted the article about the President's visit. I hoped for better here. Can the verbal arms against the president not be laid down for one day?

I will get sent to banned camp if I say more, but I will say this: The hatred toward the President displayed in Roseburg and here is why I fear that he will not leave office alive. Unrelenting and unreasoning anger leads to hatred, and hatred leads to murder.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75
Back