OR OR - Sweet Home - 'Swamp Mountain Doe' - Am Ind/Native/WhtFem 18-40 - UP7765 - Jul'76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's a new 1974 case newly added to Namus:

Lula Ann Miller

b0e85972-e85a-4405-bdb1-bead8f727fda.jpg
2697654150045078242S600x600Q851_zpsebf52303.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23155/0

We have a pretty good resemblance to the recon.

Height (60-63 inches) is good.
Age (27) is good
Timeline (20 months from 1-Nov-74 to 24-Jul-76) is good.

The negatives (or big unknowns) are the distance from Indiana to Oregon, and whether or not she would be seen in the same kind of hippy clothes that the Jane Doe was found in.

According to Emily Craig, "Anecdotal information is that the MP has dentures, but I think investigators will be completing DNA FRS collection and submission for any sort of exclusion(s) or match(es)".

So this is likely not a match.

According to Emily Craig, "Anecdotal information is that the MP has dentures, but I think investigators will be completing DNA FRS collection and submission for any sort of exclusion(s) or match(es)".

So this is likely not a match.

:eek:fftopic:
What do y'all think about Lula Miller for Sahara Sue?

WARNING - POST-MORTEM PICS INCLUDED IN THIS LINK!!!

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/159

Definitely some differences - but there's those dentures again!

I'm not seeing it.

The sole picture of Lula isn't much of a help. And the details of her report seem a bit sketchy - like whoever reported her missing didn't really know her that well. But for me - besides the dentures - it's the distance between their eyebrows.

I would think those shoes would narrow it down to no earlier than 1970, and I am being generous with that. I didnt start seeing wooden soles like that till around 72ish.

I would think those shoes would narrow it down to no earlier than 1970, and I am being generous with that. I didnt start seeing wooden soles like that till around 72ish.

I had a pair of wooden-soled shoes in high school but I don't remember what year. I graduated in 1971. So possibly 1969 but that would be pushing it.

They weren't around much later than maybe 1973, either, as I recall.

Here's a newly added MP whom I've never heard of before.

Paula Pope

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21696/0

I retouched out the creases in the photo. You can see the unretouched photo by clicking the thumbnail next to the retouched image.

attachment.php
Paula Pope img_38657.jpg

Her very short stature (4'11") fits this Jane Doe, and she seems a reasonable possible on the other metrics.

Attachments

• Paula Pope img_38657 (Retouched).jpg
    Paula Pope img_38657 (Retouched).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 335
Yes, the stats and time look good. Santa Rosa to Oregon is reasonable as well.

Paula Pope was from Sacramento, I've found a 1971 senior portrait for her as well (attached).

I've found a differing story about her disappearance, but this is from 1972 so could have been proven wrong. Story from the Mountain Democrat newspaper:

All is as described on NamUs, except Paula and the group were camping around Ice Lake Reservoir within the campsite. She leaves them as described. However, she apparently hitch-hikes to the Carson City Rock Festival as she said she would, and afterward is given a ride by Sacramento locals Terry Laber and Carol Cooper. They took her as far as Fresh Pond, but there she decided to get out of the car, saying she wanted to hitch back to Ice Lake Reservoir. Laber and Cooper try to dissuade her, saying she should just continue on to Sacramento. But she gets out anyway, and no one sees her again. In a November 1972 article, Terry Laber says that Paula was talking to "motorcycle types".

There is no description of shoes or belts etc, but Paula is described as wearing a short-sleeved white blouse and faded blue jeans.

Also, in the November article it says that she is/was being considered as a possible for a Jane Doe found in a communal grave presumably at some point contemporaneous to November 1972, which was being investigated by Mendocino County Sheriff. Anyone know what case this might be? I cannot find any article about Paula after November 1972, except that in May 1980 her husband was granted a divorce from her in absentia (so presumably she did not turn out to be that Jane Doe).

Won't do any more digging in this thread as it's about the Jane Doe, but just from looking there doesn't seem to be anything that completely doesn't fit, or isn't explainable.

Attachments

• paulapile.jpg
    paulapile.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 100
The mention of dentures makes me think of Jeannette Miller who incidentally has a new composite: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4581/11

Her DNA is in the system, according to NAMUS, so thinking she probably was ruled out but it might be worth an ask...

According to Namus, Jeannette was wearing a brown suede jacket with fringe. The rest of the clothing doesn't match, though.

It's probably worth checking to make sure her DNA really is in a place where it's run against the database.

I retouched the recon a little bit to look a little less clay like...

Attachments

• linnjane.jpg
    linnjane.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 131
In recently re-reading Ann Rule's book on Ted Bundy, I was thinking one of his victims was last seen wearing platform sandals. But the book is at home and I am at work, and I'm not sure if it was a victim who was later found or not. Will check this out though.

How likely is it that the UID's face was actually that long and narrow? I mean I've never seen anything like that before and that alone rules out everyone except that one girl (name escapes me) with the black and white photo. Her eyebrows were the exact same too.

How likely is it that the UID's face was actually that long and narrow? I mean I've never seen anything like that before and that alone rules out everyone except that one girl (name escapes me) with the black and white photo. Her eyebrows were the exact same too.

Maybe this will help. I took the basic facial shape and gave her a more lifelike appearance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sweethome Jane Doe.jpg
    Sweethome Jane Doe.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 303
Hello! This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes.

I'm looking for any information about Virginia Erickson, who went missing in Oct 1973. Her husband didn't report her missing for six months, and his children were later removed from his care.

Here is more info: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/erickson_virginia.html

I've looked through newspaper archives and ancestry.com, but I can't find a single record of this woman anywhere, nor can I find any more information about her disappearance or what happened to her children. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

I looked on Ancestry and couldn't find any record of her at all. :(

I looked on Ancestry and couldn't find any record of her at all. :(

I didn't mean the genealogy websites, I meant Oregon public records, where marriages are recorded. I don't know whether they have a central database or if it goes by county, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back