Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenience for his disability? isn't Oscar the one who carried an almost dead adult woman down a flight of stairs no less?? In my eyes I just don't see him as disabled. Of course he doesn't want to be locked up but too bad so said. Killing some one the way he did, I do not feel sorry for him
at all. JMO

He may indeed be disabled, but if he is further safe living in the hospital wing, he will be enough privileged, IMO. In addition to consider his disability as a mitigating factor seems double advantage somehow.

Hi cotton,

I haven't ever studied it myself but I'd like to believe in it if it means 25 years for OP :D

Oh Dear - didn't recall it said that at the bottom!!! Not realistic at all. Looks like they should done Masipa's chart too.

Respectfully Snipped:
I have a feeling that Masipa will either recuse herself or the Minister of Justice will appoint another judge. IMO.
I hadn't thought of that and you may be right....I have mixed emotions....While having a different judge set the sentence would be popular with many, I'm concerned with how many more months' delay this might entail for new judge to familiarize her/himself with the case in order to make informed decisions regarding Aggravating/Mitigating Factors.

I am still catching up on the past several pages so everyone may have moved on from this, but I wanted to comment regarding the negative posts about Reeva and the comparison to the negative posts about OP.

All of the negative comments about OP directly relate to this case and the crimes he committed - he's privileged, he thinks he's above the law, he's a hothead, he's controlling, he's reckless, he's a liar. All of the negative comments about Reeva have absolutely NOTHING to do with this case unless one feels whatever skeletons she may have had in her closet and her "failed modeling career" warrant blowing her arm and head off with bullets powerful enough to stop an elephant in its tracks.

Reeva's alleged skeletons and career choice are irrelevant. She didn't deserve any of this. She didn't deserve to be ridiculed by OP for her accent or gum chewing. She didn't deserve to be humiliated and forced to leave her best friend's engagement party because of his jealousy and insecurities. She didn't deserve to be asked to compromise her integrity and not tell anyone the truth about the Tasha's incident after convincing his buddy to take the blame. She didn't deserve the fear she undoubtedly felt during the last moments of her life. She didn't deserve to be executed while trapped in the tiny toilet cubicle of a house she felt safe in by a man she trusted. And she certainly doesn't deserve to have people on a message board judging her and her career choice.

bbm
Let me say this also: She didn't deserve to scream in mortal fear and nobody came for help, no neighbour, no Frankie, no security guard, not a single one. :tears:

Oh Dear - didn't recall it said that at the bottom!!! Not realistic at all. Looks like they should done Masipa's chart too.

No, the one I watched said 25 yrs. The one you linked said he was entering a 20 yr phase which wasn't looking good for him, but didn't specifically say imprisonment.

I'm a bit shocked that Roux threw a party tbh. Hardly time for a celebration while Reeva's parents were devastated, I find it completely distasteful.

and "Pistorius wore the calm, satisfied look of a man who felt he had been vindicated by the justice system and believed his honour had been saved. "
Wasn't he supposed to be devastated over the loss of Reeva and a broken man? 100% fake and manipulative.

Murder verdict revives Pistorius suicide fears
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Africa/article1642128.ece

Facing a long jail term for killing his girlfriend, ‘the Bladerunner’ is likely to retreat into despair, says John Carlin, who is close to the athlete’s family

“I don’t give a **** about the sentence,” he told Roux. “I am not a murderer.”

:facepalm: :sick: :notgood: ---> :innocent: <---> :ignore: ---> :copcar: finally ---> :behindbar:

I don't doubt that most murderers "retreat into despair" when facing long prison sentences. What's so special about this particular one? Are we supposed to be moved, or something?

If he'd held his hands up to what he'd done from the very, very beginning - demonstrated true remorse, not made a spectacle of himself with self-serving public apologies and snotty courtroom sobs, accepted full and total responsibility for everything then MAYBE people would give a damn about his "devastation".

I don't doubt that most murderers "retreat into despair" when facing long prison sentences. What's so special about this particular one? Are we supposed to be moved, or something?

If he'd held his hands up to what he'd done from the very, very beginning - demonstrated true remorse, not made a spectacle of himself with self-serving public apologies and snotty courtroom sobs, accepted full and total responsibility for everything then MAYBE people would give a damn about his "devastation".
I agree. I think the arrogance and lack of humility he showed on the stand did him no favours at all.

Somehow I don't think it will. I think there will be lenience for his disability and now that he is publicising being on the verge of a breakdown I think Masipa/whoever will take that into consideration. I am guessing 10 years with 5 years suspended minus 1 year served will probably bring it down to 4 years. Too short IMO but that is what I am expecting. However, I was very dubious about the result of the Appeal so I am probably totally wrong.

I don't think it will either. I think there will be lenience for his disability as well. Somewhere between 14 months and 2 years actual jail time followed by a full 5 years of house arrest and community service.

He has to get away from that family. They are a poison to him, with their belief in his innocence. He needs professional help and a place of safety to even begin to come to terms with the huge mess he has created. All the legal people on his side are interested in is his wealth, publicity, and now his wealth has dried up, his uncle's wealth. The way it's going there's sure to be a sorry ending, because he is too scared to admit what he did. Admitting responsibility is not in his nature, and that is why he needs to be removed from the enablers. He needs to prepare himself for the rejection that will follow, but ultimately there may come forgiveness and understanding of how they have enabled him to be what he is.

At the very least the enabling must stop! His only path for rehabilitation is to be truthful with himself, find true remorse and face up to what is to come with a modicum of dignity.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t give a **** about the sentence,&#8221; he told Roux. &#8220;I am not a murderer.&#8221;

:facepalm: :sick: :notgood: ---> :innocent: <---> :ignore: ---> :copcar: finally ---> :behindbar:

Does anyone have a subscription to The Times. The important "stuff" is greyed out for me. It looks as though Barry Roux had a PARTY to which this guy and OP went. A PARTY!! what were they celebrating - getting him off a murder rap! Roux and Pistorius partying together - is this normal behaviour between lawyer and client? I would love to be able to read the rest of the article. I have seen snippets have been posted but does anyone have a full copy?

Does anyone have a subscription to The Times. The important "stuff" is greyed out for me. It looks as though Barry Roux had a PARTY to which this guy and OP went. A PARTY!! what were they celebrating - getting him off a murder rap! Roux and Pistorius partying together - is this normal behaviour between lawyer and client? I would love to be able to read the rest of the article. I have seen snippets have been posted but does anyone have a full copy?

I don't have a subscription, want to tell you only the date of the party: night of 11. September 2014. :)

SA Breaking News &#8207;@SABreakingNews 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden
No warrant of arrest for Oscar: Jeff Wicks

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has reiterated that no w... http://bit.ly/1llm5Ze

On twitter:

Supporting tweets for Oscar: "vulnerable boy, can't take any more" ... and so on.

It
SA Breaking News &#8207;@SABreakingNews 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden
No warrant of arrest for Oscar: Jeff Wicks

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has reiterated that no w... http://bit.ly/1llm5Ze

On twitter:

Supporting tweets for Oscar: "vulnerable boy, can't take any more" ... and so on.

Someone refers to him as a "boy"?? Because of his immaturity, no doubt.

Sorry, no IB. But apparently it does have a photo of OP about to set off in a car with a companion, photographed Friday . I can't post it because it is on social media, Twitter but not allowed to post here, regardless of the content of the tweet.

In her time on the bench, Judge Masipa has shown little tolerance for crimes against women, handing down a 252-year sentence last year to a serial rapist and robber and, prior to that, a life sentence to a policeman who shot and killed his wife during an argument about a divorce settlement.

During that trial she said: "No one is above the law. You deserve to go to jail for life because you are not a protector, you are a killer."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/9959652/The-woman-who-will-decide-Pistorius-fate

No one is above the law - except Pistoriuses, it seems.

BBM This perception is what gives legs to stories like this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-claims-about-Saturdays-nightclub-fight.html

"“He was going on about how influential his family is and how connected they are,” he told The Juice website. “He even pulled out his phone to show me pictures of armoured cars. He said ‘My family owns SANDF. Zuma works for us. I’ll p--- on Zuma’.”"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngluteplayer