Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"May I remind you this verdict was unanimous - all those judges think he's a liar" David Dadic.

i missed leach saying that. very good to hear.
another angle wiped off any possible appeal right there.

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 53 Sek.Vor 54 Sekunden
7 - and again I really believe they have the finances to launch that appeal and I think n face value they have grounds to at least be heard.

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 2 Min.Vor 2 Minuten
6 - I really can't see Oscar Pistorius - the icon - simply say yes put me away for 10 years uncontested.

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 49 Sek.Vor 50 Sekunden
9 - i believe she was quite soft on him the first time, will this judgment make her harder on him or will she go lightly with the sentence

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 2 Min.Vor 2 Minuten
8 - in the mean time he will sit under house arrest until Masipa re-sentences him next year when they will re-argue mitigation probably

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 23 Sek.Vor 23 Sekunden
10 - I think that will be decisive in whether he tries to appeal again - if he gets a "bearable" sentence (eg 3 years real time)

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 32 Sek.Vor 33 Sekunden
11 - if she goes hard on him say 7-10 years real time - I can't see him accepting it.

The End :)

10 - I think that will be decisive in whether he tries to appeal again - if he gets a "bearable" sentence (eg 3 years real time)

11 - if she goes hard on him say 7-10 years real time - I can't see him accepting it.

from what has been said above he has ten days to appeal... so he will have to make the appeal before knowing the sentence.

He only gets 10 days to appeal. So Dadic doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bad news for all wannabee murderers. Sorry, but you can't cite anxiety as a legitimate excuse for killing someone. Thank God the right decision was made. Masipa sought to minimise the murder as a genuine (although reckless) mistake. She also sought to minimise Reeva's character when she described her as 'good in front of a camera'. I sincerely hope she doesn't allow her feelings about having her judgment criticised to cloud her mind when handing down a new sentence. She did a bad job, and because of her errors she put Reeva's family through even more turmoil.

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 7 Min.Vor 7 Minuten
12 - last point the sentence is not mandatory - she has a discretion based on mitigating factors.

:facepalm: Nooo .... :tantrum:

Here are the Rules of the Constitutional Court
http://www.constitutionalcourt.org.za/site/thecourt/rulesofthecourt.htm

Section 19 deals with Appeals. 19.2 suggests the Defence has 15 days to lodge an application to appeal?

2. A litigant who is aggrieved by the decision of a court and who wishes to appeal against it directly to the Court on a constitutional matter shall, within 15 days of the order against which the appeal is sought to be brought and after giving notice to the other party or parties concerned, lodge with the Registrar an application for leave to appeal: Provided that where the President has refused leave to appeal the period prescribed in this rule shall run from the date of the order refusing leave.

Karyn Maughan - you can't say she isn't a trier can you! Here's what she has selected to tweet

#OscarAppeal on Pistorius/Steenkamp relationship: as often happens with young romance.."theirs was attended by petty conflict and tensions"

#OscarAppeal ruling details Pistorius disabilities. "Despite such a severe physical handicap, he made his way bravely into the world..."

The other day she said " Here's Oscar's TINY cell" and then subsequently deleted it in case it looked partial.

Time served if I'm not wrong, not time as yet unserved under house arrest, so I'm expecting 1 year off

Yes Tortoise, that 1 year off is for the year in Kgosi. That's standard.

Mitigation -
disability ?
loss of career and earnings?

what else? Not sure.

Bad news for all wannabee murderers. Sorry, but you can't cite anxiety as a legitimate excuse for killing someone. Thank God the right decision was made. Masipa sought to minimise the murder as a genuine (although reckless) mistake. She also sought to minimise Reeva's character when she described her as 'good in front of a camera'. I sincerely hope she doesn't allow her feelings about having her judgment criticised to cloud her mind when handing down a new sentence. She did a bad job, and because of her errors she put Reeva's family through even more turmoil.

Did they say specifically that Masipa had to do the re-sentencing? I am hoping since she retired it may go to another HC judge.

Even if he serves just 5 actual years, it's still very little considering what he did. When you take someone's life, you destroy every single member of that family forever. I've always found it strange that you can get longer for theft than for murder.

Just heard this on the radio! I didn't even know it was back at court, last I heard he was out of prison under house arrest.
Thoughts are with Reeva's family and friends. What an absolutely dreadful ordeal this legal process has been for them, in addition to losing Reeva.
Justice at last!

Did they say specifically that Masipa had to do the re-sentencing? I am hoping since she retired it may go to another HC judge.
It goes back to her as far as I know. I agree it should go to someone else.

Congratulations to the prosecution, Nel and his hardworking team, they finally got the judgement of murder. Must be a relief too for police experts like Mangena and the rest of the people who worked on trial and appeal.

Also thanks to all the posters who worked so diligently here, Fossil, Jitty, JJ, Viper, Katy's, Soozie, Germany, Sleuths, IB, T's...ok just imagine I list all your names are here ;). It's been an experience! But the most important part, as Dadic suggests, is that SA is safer in general with this clear legal judgement.

I don't believe Masipa will give him a heavy sentence. In essence, I do not believe he'll get more than five years in prison (perhaps she gives him 10 then he's out in half etc.) She has shown how lenient she is in believing his 'I'm the victim - grieving and hurt just like an abused woman' act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper