Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
City Press Online Verified account ‏@City_Press 15h15 hours ago

Nel: Life was the most valuable asset of the deceased,she had no contribution in her death.Murder is a very serious offence #OscarPistorius

Ah! Back to Oscar not wanting to fire a warning shot for fear of ricochet hitting him, but willing to fire four shots into a tiny cubicle.

Karyn Maughan Verified account ‏@karynmaughan 15h15 hours ago

Nel arguing again and again that #OscarPistorius - and mercy for him - cannot be the only focus of the court's sentencing decision.

Court normally ends at 3pm. But Judge Masipa yesterday said court would run until #OscarPistorius sentencing argument complete.

Nel: I had to look up the word 'gratuitous'. Firing four shots that tore up the body of the deceased, was gratuitous #OscarPistorius

Jacaranda News ‏@JacaNews 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel now on the SCA judgment - when shooting through the door the possibility of death was very large.

Nel is right to spend time on the matter of four (4) shots, the gun itself and the ammo. Premeditation, deliberation and way way beyond negligence or carelessness. 4 shots, fer petes sake!... that s 3 more than is necessary for murder..

Oscar's problem was his propensity for overkill.

eNCA Verified account ‏@eNCA 15h15 hours

Michelle Craig
‏@MichelleL_Craig

Nel cites the example of convicted rapist, 75-year-old former tennis coach, Bob Hewitt, who earlier this month received a jail term

Nel refs case of Tennis coach that perp'd many years ago. Coach got direct imprisonment. Why should OP escape direct imprisonment?

Distinction twixt DE & D Indeterminatus.

Nel : DE is NOT per se a mitigation factor. Two cases cited by Nel. Gradations of foresseability as DE is an elastic concept, it can border CH all the way to DD.
Nel: Subjective perception of the perp is so important. Again we don't know as he is not testifying now and many versions back in orig trial. We know he was worried about a ricochet

SCA said the possibility of death was clearly obvious and then 4 shots even more likely to be fatal. Irresistable inference that OP did foresee RS's death

Nel is right to spend time on the matter of four (4) shots, the gun itself and the ammo. Premeditation, deliberation and way way beyond negligence or carelessness. 4 shots, fer petes sake!... that s 3 more than is necessary for murder..

Oscar's problem was his propensity for overkill.

Gratuitous overkill.

Jacaranda News ‏@JacaNews 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel stressing that it doesn't make it a mitigating factor because OP thought it was an intruder - still guilty of RS murder

Aislinn Laing ‏@Simmoa 15h15 hours ago

Nel: "There's still no acceptable explanation for why the accused fired four shots." #OscarPistorius

OO er IB.

Recently "not expecting a prison sentence". I Don't believe it.

They only get a whiff of the specific no. of years after the case closes
Remember last time, at post sent hearing party at Oscars - he already knew what he was getting that night. So said JCarlin

If I remember correctly Roux quoted Sholtz as saying a prison sentence would be wrong. Also the family is not expecting a prison sentence (where did that come from)? They must have had a reason to say that. I will see if I can find the article if you haven't seen it please let me know. I don't want to start a search if you have already read the family's comment.

Nel: Accused said he didn't want to shoot a warning shot into the shower as he was worried bullet might ricochet & hit him #OscarPistorius

Nel: But he fired through a door four times, death was obvious result. With four shots the result was even more likely #OscarPistorius

19s ago
14:01
Nel says the finding that Pistorius did not specifically intend to kill Steenkamp is not a mitigating factor. He says if an offender sets off a bomb that kills 50 people, it does not matter that he does not know the identities of those 50 people.

He is guilty of the murder of Reeva. He killed her.

Believing he was shooting at an intruder is not a mitigating factor, Nel insists:

The identity of the victim is irrelevant to his guilt and irrelevant to sentence.

8m ago
13:52
Nel: 'Reeva can never walk in court'

It is fair for the court to take the accused’s personal circumstances into account, Nel says. But in this case, this “recedes into the background” compared with the seriousness of the offence.

Reeva Steenkamp “disappeared” in this trial, he says. The court should take into account “who she was … what dreams she had”.

She is just as important as the personal circumstances of the accused … She can never walk in court.

It doesn’t matter if Pistorius thought he was firing at an intruder, Nel goes on:

Is an intruder’s life not important? Did he think of that life?

Pistorius’ actions were gratuitous, Nel tells the judge:

I cannot think of a more excessive use of a firearm … He fired four shots that tore up the body of the deceased.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ius-sentencing-live-day-three-reeva-steenkamp

Nel: Reeva Steenkamp will never realise her dreams..she died a horrific death. She was standing facing the door when #OscarPistorius fired.
2 retweets 0 likes

Erin Bates Verified account ‏@ermbates 15h15 hours ago

She will never realise her dreams, says Nel, adds @reevasteenkamp died horrifically, she had no part in her death @News24 #OscarPistorius

Nel: The deceased was intentionally murdered for reasons only the accused knows #OscarPistorius

If I remember correctly Roux quoted Sholtz as saying a prison sentence would be wrong. Also the family is not expecting a prison sentence (where did that come from)? They must have had a reason to say that. I will see if I can find the article if you haven't seen it please let me know. I don't want to start a search if you have already read the family's comment.

Don't go searching IB, it doesn't matter. After OP goes down , I will have a look so I can feel some schadenfreude for Arnold.

I'm focussing on trying to get more than 10 second snatches of nel between endless buffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member