Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so shocked.
I stepped away from the keyboard for a while to try to gather my thoughts.
Yesterday when I thought about the case, I expected her to sentence him to 12 years. And I'd have been disappointed with that. I just can't believe this.

In her summary, it seemed to me that she focused 90% on 'poor' OP. She didn't seem to care too much about the crime itself or even the effects of his crime on his victim and her family. She gave very little attention to Reeva, a beautiful young woman who was murdered by him at the age of 29. She gave very little attention to Reeva's family. It was all poor OP this and poor OP that.

She still didn't consider the circumstantial evidence fully, IMO.
She's effectively sent an 'Up Yours' to the SCA and to the entire legal system. 'You want to overturn my verdict? Ok fine, I'll just add an extra year to my original sentence'.

I've visited SA several times. It's a beautiful, but troubled country. The State cannot, must not allow this sentence to be final.

I might have to drop out of this case now

It's just so disappointing and soul destroying.

It is but maybe the State will appeal. They would have a good case to.

What gets me most is I could 'get it' if she made sound judgements where you might think 'Well I don't agree but I see your point' but she so often doesn't.

Case in point: her argument that he showed remorse by his public apology and attempts to contact the Steenkamps. You could look at that as sincere, and perhaps it was, but you could also see it as a cynical move, suggested by his counsel to give the impression of remorse. Either or both could be true so how can she say which it is? There is no irrefutable evidence either way. And some could view that apology at the start of the trial, which she referenced today, in a very cynical light given they had not wanted to meet with him at that point to hear his apology and were then forced to sit and listen without any opportunity to say anything about it. She even went on to imply that the fact that they didn't want to meet him somehow added to the veracity of her assumption.

It's these conclusions of hers that carry the weight of a judgement but have no solid factual foundation that get to me.

6! wow, double bollox masipa.
do they now give her a third chance?

@tomsteinfort ( he's a correspondent there today, so let's hope this is an accurate rumour.)

Am hearing prosecution likely to appeal against 6yr sentence for Pistorius...they believe it's farcically below the 15yr min for murder
I don't think they will Appeal
I want them to, but nothing's indicating this so far , if anything, it's going the other way that they won't be Appealing
They said they would if less than 8 years sentence, so this result it close to it, will they bother, the money , the Case has drawn so much negative attention already.

Six years for Murder? Ah, it's so good to be a wealthy white boy in South Africa! So what if rhino poachers spend more time behind bars, those are beautiful creatures. Besides, he's really sad and has no legs FFS!, give the guy a break! (Sarcasm)

Stuck on stupid.

I tried that after the original verdict and sentencing.... The thing is it all still makes my blood boil, so I keep coming back :maddening:

If I have to hear any more nonsense from the Pistorius family or the judge that suggests that OP is the victim here rather than Reeva I might just start screaming and not be able to stop!

Yeah I know

I shouldn't really be surprised.

A friend of mine worked at Refuge and the stories that she told me about that were enough to blow my mind.

So we know women can't be safe, but when they actually catch the guy read handed with gun and body, you would think they could manage to achieve justice

Piers Morgan
1h
Piers Morgan‏ @piersmorgan
'Fallen hero'?
Try 'angry, gun-toting maniac'.
Judge behaved like a fan-girl & sentenced accordingly.
Disgusting. #pistorius

What gets me most is I could 'get it' if she made sound judgements where you might think 'Well I don't agree but I see your point' but she so often doesn't.

Case in point: her argument that he showed remorse by his public apology and attempts to contact the Steenkamps. You could look at that as sincere, and perhaps it was, but you could also see it as a cynical move, suggested by his counsel to give the impression of remorse. Either or both could be true so how can she say which it is? There is no irrefutable evidence either way. And some could view that apology at the start of the trial, which she referenced today, in a very cynical light given they had not wanted to meet with him at that point to hear his apology and were then forced to sit and listen without any opportunity to say anything about it. She even went on to imply that the fact that they didn't want to meet him somehow added to the veracity of her assumption.

It's these conclusions of hers that carry the weight of a judgement but have no solid factual foundation that get to me.

I know.

Absurd.

He didn't make himself available as a witness so no finding of remorse was possible. Indeed he went on TV and said he would not serve one day for murder!

One could be forgiven for thinking that she was inviting an appeal with that sentence, if the NPA don't act I will be disgusted.

It was as if the family were on trial for thinking he deliberately killed their daughter and refusing to meet him and regard his apology as sincere. No wonder they don't want to comment.

Tom Steinfort ‏@tomsteinfort 1h1 hour ago

"A long term of imprisonment will not serve justice in this matter" - judge to Pistorius

Tom Steinfort ‏@tomsteinfort 1h1 hour ago

"He is a fallen hero, has lost his career and is financially ruined" - a lot of sympathy for Pistorius from the judge during sentencing

what has previous heroism, career, and bank balance got to do with it? if he were not a hero, had no career, and had no finances - but then murdered someone, would masipa have given a longer sentence? the law is supposed to be blind woman!

Piers Morgan
1h
Piers Morgan‏ @piersmorgan
'Fallen hero'?
Try 'angry, gun-toting maniac'.
Judge behaved like a fan-girl & sentenced accordingly.
Disgusting. #pistorius

I despise Morgan but that is probably the most accurate 140 character summation of the case you could give

Masipa, once again, has disgusted the world.

How can any credible judge sincerely believe that there's a difference of one year between negligent killing and intentional murder?

Her arrogance too is quite startlng. She's read the SCA judgement and entirely ignored the tone. They explicitly requested that the sentence be applied in the light of their comments. She's taken no notice of anything they said. Her attitude seems to have been...."Well, if I really must give you extra time, here, have a year".

I bet there are five very senior judges sitting with their mouths open this morning.

I want the NPA to appeal. Not because I care any longer about the snivelling weasel but because I want Masipa to be thoroughly discredited. She has made a mockery of the SA judicial system in the most blatant and shameful way.

"No evidence that he's violent"? Reeva's bullet ridden body is not evidence enough for you?

Once again she has made identity central. He didn't know it was Reeva, thought it was an intruder....therefore, fair enough?

Appalling.

But, I do take heart about the widespread fury that's greeted this. Any forlorn hope that the murdering liar had about coming about of prison and being forgiven because he "really, really luvs kids, innit" is gone. He is the new OJ. He will spent the rest of his misreable existence being shunned by anyone decent. Of course there's a few fools around that will be forever on his side but not anyone worth knowing, IMO.

I will say, though, that I thought Nel played this badly.

It was a mistake to focus on Pistorius' behaviour in jail because it really wasn't that bad. Huge, huge numbers of prisoners convicted on much lesser offences behave far worse and Masipa will know this.

What he should have done is stressed the issues surrounding that night - made Masipa see that her initial assessment of the incident was probably wrong. Roux opened this up and Nel should have countered it. He didn't.

Please, NPA, appeal - even if you're sick to death of the man by now. Remember....all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. Justice has NOT been done for Reeva. Society owes her that enormous debt and you are the only people who can pursue it. You MUST appeal.

Yeah I know

I shouldn't really be surprised.

A friend of mine worked at Refuge and the stories that she told me about that were enough to blow my mind.

So we know women can't be safe, but when they actually catch the guy read handed with gun and body, you would think they could manage to achieve justice

And even if, heavens forbid, justice can't be obtained...at the bare, absolute minimum...maybe not excuse, justify, and minimize such violence against any other human being?

so no appeal on sentence from pistorius... clearly his team are happy this is the dream result.

didn't he say that he would never do a day in prison on a murder charge?

if they are accepting of this, why did they appeal to the constitutional court ffs.

i really hope there is an appeal on sentence [didn't the pt say they would appeal anything below ??12years??]. and i really hope pistorius spends the time waiting for that appeal in a cell.

I don't think they will Appeal
I want them to, but nothing's indicating this so far , if anything, it's going the other way that they won't be Appealing
They said they would if less than 8 years sentence, so this result it close to it, will they bother, the money , the Case has drawn so much negative attention already.

They have 14 days to decide and will no doubt want to look at various aspects of it. I have a hunch they will. Yes it has been a lengthy case but a lengthy case that the vast majority of people, laymen and lawyers alike, feel has been poorly handled. It has put South African justice, along with the many issues the country faces, in the spotlight of the world's media and it has come out looking inept, to those who followed closely, and unfair, when seen through the prisms of race, wealth, justice etc. Basically it has embarrassed SA twice I would think - the original verdict and today's debacle. The one time their law system looked good was at the SCA appeal.

So I can see two reasons to appeal - that on a personal level the punishment is too lenient for this specific crime and on a larger, more symbolic level to restore some confidence and pride in the legal system in both South Africa and to the world's eyes. It's not just that Oscar Pistorius has almost 'gotten away with murder', it is that in doing so this judge and her handling of the case has made South Africa look foolish on the world stage and a bit more time and money could go some way to remedying that. Everyone knows there are individual inept judges in all countries but no one wants their justice system to be an international cause for bemusement.

SophieWalker ‏@SophieRunning 2h2 hours ago
#Pistorius sentence is a travesty. Violence against women must end. There are no 'mitigating factors'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScoopyC