Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about half a million GBP

Lisa ‏@lisawJ13 [video=twitter;750631038318022656]https://twitter.com/lisawJ13/status/750631038318022656[/video]
We've heard from a source that #OscarPistorius was paid roughly 10M Rand for ITV interview

:worms::facepalm:

That Nick sure has his sources. Bet he can "investigate " better than that "journalist " MWT. Let's see if they get any proof.

:guitar::rockon:
ooo er oooo er .
That's the sign .

Discussions & tel calls going on all over
Head of NPA, Justice Minister, SCA .....:phone: :lookingitup:

ETA :deepbreaths:Hold my horses - is that a new tweet Tortoise.
I checked earlier and could only see his old ones wtte

LOL where are you finding these emojis? Never spotted any of them before.

That tweet was from 3 hours ago.

LOL where are you finding these emojis? Never spotted any of them before.

That tweet was from 3 hours ago.

BIB Cool, my sprits have risen.

Emojis in a special box called "Sanity Savers"
It's purely for my own amusement . I also thought before the thread was closed it was apt to do something totally meaningless that somehow fits with my sense of the surreality .......

No when you press smiley or see the rectangular box of emojis there is a word More, press that and the lot come up.
I never use them on my phone, just here on WS

I'm not thinking of this as an outright win for OP.

More of a draw. Nel gets murder DE conviction which stays with him for life. As I type he is in prison!

Roux gets the light sentence.

Remains to be seen if this is the end.

Well well well... seems m'lady got her undies in a mega knot for being reversed on appeal so this 'sentence' is like the ultimate "fk you" to everyone. Had this been a poor South African man, he would be languishing in prison for the rest of his life. But Masipa bought into the Pistorius sob story. Sad day friends, sad day.

I hope he never knows peace, he never finds solace. He murdered a wonderful woman who had much to give to this world. Insert super ultimate expletives here.

Yes T, all cops who worked the case. I agree, their faces spoke volumes.
What a soul destroying job. You're underfunded, under resourced with little professional development, you work on these cases and some **&^$£%% with a bun comes and stymies your every success.
I call that job satisfaction .....not.

They were very dignified in the circumstances.
Edit _ I think u mean the 3 middle aged white guys, grey hair etc. Many gave evidence. Moller I can name. Others....
They'll have gone straight to the pub!

I think all of them are exasperated with Masipa. All of the State's witnesses and experts were superb, as was Nel; as opposed to the fairytale Roux painted with his clowns. It really was a clown show that Roux put on, if you recall. And yet Masipa liked the freak show fairytale better than the true facts and the reality that this was a simple, violent, domestic homicide.

Being a prosecuter is typically a relatively easy job, they choose which cases to prosecute because they believe they have an overwhelming chance of winning, and they do +/- 95% of the time. But Masipa has been a knucklehead, taken the social workers' and pyschologists' evidence over the crime scene and the event's evidence. I feel bad for Nel and really he must just appeal, although Masipa may deny and I don't know that he can go above her, anyone?

Well well well... seems m'lady got her undies in a mega knot for being reversed on appeal so this 'sentence' is like the ultimate "fk you" to everyone. Had this been a poor South African man, he would be languishing in prison for the rest of his life. But Masipa bought into the Pistorius sob story. Sad day friends, sad day.

I hope he never knows peace, he never finds solace. He murdered a wonderful woman who had much to give to this world. Insert super ultimate expletives here.
BIB - I'm sure she'd have given him a custodial sentence if she thought she could have got away with it. As it is, she's gone with the next lightest, a year more. Big whoop for justice...

BBM - I found the next bit from that link as disturbing as this practice to send a successfully appealed case back to the same judge who had already displayed such egregious errors in their initial judgement.

http://news.sky.com/story/1722468/oscar-pistorius-case-could-see-one-more-twist
"This is dependent on the Commissioner of Correctional Services judging him to be fit to be considered for correctional supervision (which can include what's commonly known as house arrest).

And IF the commissioner does find him a suitable candidate for correctional supervision (and one has to assume he may well do as the Paralympian has been under correctional supervision for the past nine months for his culpable homicide conviction and living at his uncle’s home in an upmarket part of Pretoria), then his case will go before Judge Masipa once more to make the decision."

:gaah: This just keeps getting worse!

No, I don't believe that Masipa would have any say in that at all. It would be a corrections department matter; and the commissioner has already demonstrated his view of OP by denying his parole for as long as possible.

Thanks....much better!

Another thing I just thought of. She basically disregarded much of Scholtz's evidence and accepted that the prison nurse's testimony was reliable, meaning that he lied about and/or exaggerated his prison experiences. So she is acknowledging that he will be economical with the truth to suit his purposes. Then, she turns around and says he has demonstrated remorse based on nothing but him saying he is remorseful, crying at the scene of the crime, making overtures to the Steenkamps and commencing his testimony with a courthouse apology. All things which could be just as false as claiming to have heard a rape and seen a suicide's body. Does she have some special power that can sift lies from truth? No, she doesn't, so how is she so sure of herself and of his remorse?

BIB - I'm sure she'd have given him a custodial sentence if she thought she could have got away with it. As it is, she's gone with the next lightest, a year more. Big whoop for justice...

Yup, whoop-dee-fkn-doo....

I watched the ESPN documentary on OJ Simpson last week (AWESOME, by the way). This case REEKS of privilege, just like that one did back in the day. Sad day. At the end though, OP will show his true colors, just lie OJ did. Stay tuned for drunken brawls in 5, 4, 3, .....

Back to this tweet in late afternoon after trial ended

https://twitter.com/JamesGrantZA/status/750737562545844224?lang=en-gb

I thought Nel's aggravation arguments and huge range of cases cited was seriously impressive and did wonder if that came from an academic's assistance.
Someone like Grant - all that knowledge of jurisprudence is not the meat and potatoes of Nel & Andrea

Yes , sure, it went right over Ms Masego's head BUT, there would be a more appreciative audience in the SCA, IMO.
So Grant maybe will be reading the transcript tonight too and giving an opinion.

The tweet , maybe he has just given us a big hint?. :It's not over.

[video=twitter;750737562545844224]https://twitter.com/JamesGrantZA/status/750737562545844224[/video]

Damned thing won't paste up.

I'll wait for transcript upload but IIRC she didn't really ref any/many cases in response.

RSBM I feel bad for Nel and really he must just appeal, although Masipa may deny and I don't know that he can go above her, anyone?

She allowed the appeal against the verdict on the grounds that another court's judgement might differ from hers. Now, she has given less than half of the minimum sentence and essentially just added one more year despite a big jump in the seriousness of the crime. With that in mind, maybe it is not even her choice anymore and the State can just appeal directly to the SCA. But, if she does get to rule on it, shirly she must justify her reasons as to why if she refuses leave to appeal and she couldn't possibly claim that no other judge might see fit to deviate from her sentence. Hopefully we are at a stage where all the balls are not in her court.

I have been speechless all day..Masipa ruined my day!

Sentencing OP to 6 years is an insult to Reeva's family..to all women..to the SCA..to all of us. She has no shame!

Yup, whoop-dee-fkn-doo....

I watched the ESPN documentary on OJ Simpson last week (AWESOME, by the way). This case REEKS of privilege, just like that one did back in the day. Sad day. At the end though, OP will show his true colors, just lie OJ did. Stay tuned for drunken brawls in 5, 4, 3, .....

Yup. Back to relying on Karma.

RSBM I feel bad for Nel and really he must just appeal, although Masipa may deny and I don't know that he can go above her, anyone?

She allowed the appeal against the verdict on the grounds that another court's judgement might differ from hers. Now, she has given less than half of the minimum sentence and essentially just added one more year despite a big jump in the seriousness of the crime. With that in mind, maybe it is not even her choice anymore and the State can just appeal directly to the SCA. But, if she does get to rule on it, shirly she must justify her reasons as to why if she refuses leave to appeal and she couldn't possibly claim that no other judge might see fit to deviate from her sentence. Hopefully we are at a stage where all the balls are not in her court.

BIB he could go over her head in the previous instance - the conviction - even without her permission but sadly I can't rem if it still holds for sentencing, if she refuses.

If her permission isn't needed to grant an appeal , heck Why would anyone bother even asking her! Just bypass,wasting everyone's time ..............except Oscar's of course.

Wouldn't ask her the time or I'd have to go double check it .

I

BIB he could go over her head in the previous instance - the conviction - even without her permission but sadly I can't rem if it still holds for sentencing, if she refuses.

If her permission isn't needed to grant an appeal , heck Why would anyone bother even asking her! Just bypass,wasting everyone's time ..............except Oscar's of course.

Wouldn't ask her the time or I'd have to go double check it .

I

Even with sentencing Nel can go over Masipa's head and make an application to the Supreme Court
WIsh he had stood on her head today, to ssssh her up

exactly. The only person who REMINDED that Court WHO the real victim was in this Trial was Barry Steenkamp.
And Judge Masipa criticised him for having wrongly suggested his daughter , in his opinion, was killed as the result of an argument, how dare she,
Silly c*w.
I agree totally. From a bystanders' point of view. From everything pitched in todays sentencing. All i heard is OP this and OP that.
I never really understood or grasped how he OP got to live out under house arrest at his Uncles. I mean come on...really?
He was depressed was suffering with being detained. Err hello! He murdered in cold blood, a beautiful inside and out young woman.
Wth should he get preferential treatment cuz he's not mentally stable!
That really endeared him to the people of SA .... NOT!
Seems money talks.... it's a shame HE (OP) doesnt talk. And take it on the chin like a REAL member of society.
Not pussy foot around like an ageing DIVA.
Masipa has been far too lenient in her recommendations for sentencing. That will be down to OP's Legal team. Liasing with mental health agencies. Pushing the fact OP needs this that and a pink padded cell . Blah blah blah sorry JMO

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member