Outburst during JS hearing!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok - to be honest, I did not think the shoes were tied together ( it did happen very quickly...) for what it's worth, she appeared to have kicked the shoes off. It appeared (to me and I am being very careful here) that the shoes were of a variety that probably were not known for their excellent fit and that when she rose from what appeared to be a semi-supine (sorry - had her feet up on the "pew") that she grabbed the shoes by their straps between her fingers. As the shoes were white - I think that media types saw the criss-cross type straps and her fingers intertwined in those and (BOMBSHELL) shoes tied together! IMHO sad girl, sad situation, made a very bad decision (I think she meant to, but didn't have the capacity to calculate the fallout)- moreover, she didn't grab the shoes before she was being hustled out by the bailiffs. In other words - just another day in in the (very sad) life. No rocks please!
No - no rocks at all. But Geraldo showed the video again tonight and if you watch closely you can see the laces are tied together as they swing in-between her hands. (I watched closely because this had been a question of mine). In fact, one swings way up on the outside of her left hand. They were tied together.

I thought her choice of words were funny" "She killed somebody anyway!". Why does she use "anyway"? Was that in response to something the potential juror or the judge was saying? I thought the statement coming out of nowhere was bizarre. I thought the whole account was funny at first but later when she explained herself I felt sorry for her...thought they should just let her go. She obviously had some problems.

No - no rocks at all. But Geraldo showed the video again tonight and if you watch closely you can see the laces are tied together as they swing in-between her hands. (I watched closely because this had been a question of mine). In fact, one swings way up on the outside of her left hand. They were tied together.

Thanks Wise - I think where I fall off is - did she intentionally tie them up to throw them at ICA or anyone in the room?- Or, (sigh) did she just sit down, kick 'em off, and like someone who's wearing bad shoes, in Florida, who probably doesn't quite get taking off one's shoes isn't really acceptable, and who appears to have been through a variety of systems (where shoes are highly coveted and often stolen) and tie them together like she was taught to do by whatever facility she'd been in? She was looking for some outlet for her desire (whether outrage or 15 minutes of fame). I think ICA was some kind of unfortunate catalyst and not a target.

Sorry my statement is convoluted, but I am trying to avoid being too forward.
IMHO always

Thanks Wise - I think where I fall off is - did she intentionally tie them up to throw them at ICA or anyone in the room?- Or, (sigh) did she just sit down, kick 'em off, and like someone who's wearing bad shoes, in Florida, who probably doesn't quite get taking off one's shoes isn't really acceptable, and who appears to have been through a variety of systems (where shoes are highly coveted and often stolen) and tie them together like she was taught to do by whatever facility she'd been in? She was looking for some outlet for her desire (whether outrage or 15 minutes of fame). I think ICA was some kind of unfortunate catalyst and not a target.

Sorry my statement is convoluted, but I am trying to avoid being too forward.
IMHO always
That's why I said its my only question. It could be a "habit" because of certain facilities she's been in before. In Florida, no shoes is a very common thing - though not as much as when I was a kid. I don't think she meant to throw them - but you never know.

The"anyway" in her statement tells me that it was very low impluse control. She was running something through her head and was maintaning it til she got to the end and blurted out "She killed somebody anyway" - lost that control. I got that.

Its the shoes. Why? Could be she just hates wearing shoes. IDK

Can anyone say 5150?

What is 5150, please?

Someone said that this woman would lose her SSI because she was convicted of contempt of court?

Is this true?

Did she if she more family than the husband who is in jail?

If she had thrown the shoes, I would have been highly tee'd off... it wouldn't have been funny... it wouldn't have been acceptable AT ALL. it would have created so many problems and driven an already sensationalized case into overdrive, totally stalling out the process because the defense would have played the attack for everything it was worth and more.

Caylee deserves justice... that lady's action could have screwed Caylee over and made this get drawn out further.

What is 5150, please?

Someone said that this woman would lose her SSI because she was convicted of contempt of court?

Is this true?
i
Did she if she more family than the husband who is in jail?

5150 (I believe) is a psychiatric hold. As for the BBM part - I don't believe the he is an actual husband (I know...) but according to my sleuthing is a live-in who is 20 years older than she, with a very long habit of assaulting her (but I given the dates, it would appear that he did not do that before he met her, so it may be a case of "who started it".) As for the SSI - no clue - but considering her "frequent flyer miles" on the Pinellas County website, I would think that her recent outburst might actually strengthen her need for disability.(oh god, please someone, rescue that baby of hers....)

[/B]

5150 (I believe) is a psychiatric hold. As for the BBM part - I don't believe the he is an actual husband (I know...) but according to my sleuthing is a live-in who is 20 years older than she, with a very long habit of assaulting her (but I given the dates, it would appear that he did not do that before he met her, so it may be a case of "who started it".) As for the SSI - no clue - but considering her "frequent flyer miles" on the Pinellas County website, I would think that her recent outburst might actually strengthen her need for disability.(oh god, please someone, rescue that baby of hers....)

Thanks for the info BFMD..You are so right about the poor child. Hope he is taken care of. This situation is truly sad.

I cannot cut her too much slack, because I have a 24 year old son, who is mentally challenged, ADHD, schizophrenia, autistic and a few other things. He takes much daily medication. But he also understands it is his responsibility to take his medication; if he doesn't and gets 'in trouble' he must deal with the consequences. He knows appropriate behavior, and even with low impulse control, he understands he must at all times try to control his impulses. We cannot cut him much slack, because if we did, he would know that, and expect it or manipulate with it. "Tough love" is very important in his management. Someday, I won't be here, and he must be able to survive in our world, even though someone will always be supervising him. He knows the responsibility for his behavior is on him, not us, not his aides or his supervisors. He does 'work', and attends adult daycare. He must obey the rules there. too.

I understand the judge did not want to imprison this woman for six months..I am ok with that,-but I am glad that he gave her the two days. She also needed to know she couldn't just walk away on such a serious offense. I don't think that with young people with these illnesses, that a six month or super heavy sentence will add much to the lesson they learn with a couple days or a week. I know it wouldn't with my son. The lesson is in the fact that he would go to jail at all, not in the length of time.

I do think this woman was pretty well aware of what she was doing, and I believe she intended to say what she said. I don't think, however, that she knew how MUCH trouble she would be in for saying it. I think she was pretty panicked when she had to go before the judge. I can't say too much about the lack of tears, as my son responds very emotional to crisis's, and when he gets in trouble, (and perceived injustices). He doesn't usually have the tears-he does have the emotional behavior and the 'panic'.

However, a valid question was raised-if Casey is proven to be diagnosed with these or equal mental problems, will the judge or the courts cut her slack in the sentencing? Using the standards applied yesterday, it seems that whatever 'slack' this woman was given, would also have to be applied in some degree to Casey, would it not? Granted-this girl didn't kill a child-but if it can be proved Casey didn't know right from wrong at that time, or has/had poor to no impulse control..wouldn't the same standards apply? Is this what the DT is counting on?

Just for the record, I don't think I would ever take my son into a courtroom-I have very serious doubts he would be able to be quiet-whatever goes through his brain, comes out his mouth. He would never be intending to hurt people, or cause trouble, but whatever he thinks, he says.

This is all JMO.

When HHJP sentenced the woman to "2 days", I stupidly thought he meant "48 hours" or at least until Sunday. No, she was released Saturday 5/21/2011 7:21 AM.

Is this why Florida has so many crazies running loose? Someone has a serious math problem, too. Or was this her appeal at work?
:eek:

When HHJP sentenced the woman to "2 days", I stupidly thought he meant "48 hours" or at least until Sunday. No, she was released Saturday 5/21/2011 7:21 AM.

Is this why Florida has so many crazies running loose? Someone has a serious math problem, too. Or was this her appeal at work?

Where I live a person like this would not be jailed immediately to serve sentence. Here, she would be given an opportunity to take care of business at home (arrange for child care, etc.) and be expected to serve her sentence at some point within a specified time frame.

HHJP said initially she was entitled to counsel and he would appoint a PD. She later appeared in court with that PD. The sentence stood, but that might not mean she had to serve that sentence right then and there. I can't speak for how Florida does this, but her being released within hours might mean she still has to report at some point to serve her sentence (or what is left of it after credit for time served).

Where I live a person like this would not be jailed immediately to serve sentence. Here, she would be given an opportunity to take care of business at home (arrange for child care, etc.) and be expected to serve her sentence at some point within a specified time frame.

HHJP said initially she was entitled to counsel and he would appoint a PD. She later appeared in court with that PD. The sentence stood, but that might not mean she had to serve that sentence right then and there. I can't speak for how Florida does this, but her being released within hours might mean she still has to report at some point to serve her sentence (or what is left of it after credit for time served).

I don't think this was the case in this instance. IIRC, she asked the Judge if she could turn herself in that afternoon and he said, "no ma'am".

I thought her choice of words were funny" "She killed somebody anyway!". Why does she use "anyway"? Was that in response to something the potential juror or the judge was saying? I thought the statement coming out of nowhere was bizarre. I thought the whole account was funny at first but later when she explained herself I felt sorry for her...thought they should just let her go. She obviously had some problems.
-------------
I was also thinking about what this woman said. Here's my take partly of what she may have been thinking. IMO: My guess would be that this woman has been through significant abuse, and yes, has been through the court system many times, perhaps feeling abused by what she went through there as well. While she has experienced this, she hasn't made the decision to kill somebody. I suppose in a way she is drawing a contrast between herself and ICA. ICA seems to be getting what some have termed to be "kid-glove" treatment, and acts like she deserves that treatment. Perhaps ICA was abused in the past; however, does that justify killing somebody anyway?

re: word choice

Immediately prior to the outburst, the judge was explaining the DP aspect to the jury. I don't have time to look up the exact quote, but it was to the nature of 'we're talking about someone's life, here..' to which she responded with her outburst.

Ergo, the "anyway" carrying the connotation of if ICA takes such liberty with human life, why does hers merit such consideration?

Just my interpretation of course!

(in other news, *delurk*)

I think she walked in and sat down just as the PJ was giving her response to what she had just heard. She (ER) had to be focused in on the only conversation going on in the room, right? So when she blurted out "She killed somebody anyway" could it have been in response to what the PJ or AF had just said? Wouldn't hurt to go back over the Q & A that was going on right before the outburst.

I agree. This woman claimed that she'd never been in a courtroom before and wanted to see what it was like (well, giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she meant a DP hearing) yet she then claimed to have been in another courtroom prior to coming into ICA's hearing. Later we find out she's had multiple arrests, which would mean she's been in court before.

It was crocodile tears. MOO

A post or two above says she's already out? How? I thought she was sentenced to two days? Did I miss something?

Shes a LLPOF too, she was arrested in the past for cocaine, she didn't have to go to court for that???? Betcha it's not her "fiance's" first time in the courthouse for "domestic" violence, either.

I disagree with the idea of letting them take care of family affairs, etc prior to serving a few days (or even months) for such an outburst. I must be hardcore because I say throw em in jail immediately, like JP did. Hardships such as who will watch her kid, etc are just too bad. Inconvienence and Incarceration should go hand-in-hand. Inconvienence should be part of the punishment, give her something to think about. Just MOO.

I cannot cut her too much slack, because I have a 24 year old son, who is mentally challenged, ADHD, schizophrenia, autistic and a few other things. He takes much daily medication. But he also understands it is his responsibility to take his medication; if he doesn't and gets 'in trouble' he must deal with the consequences. He knows appropriate behavior, and even with low impulse control, he understands he must at all times try to control his impulses. We cannot cut him much slack, because if we did, he would know that, and expect it or manipulate with it. "Tough love" is very important in his management. Someday, I won't be here, and he must be able to survive in our world, even though someone will always be supervising him. He knows the responsibility for his behavior is on him, not us, not his aides or his supervisors. He does 'work', and attends adult daycare. He must obey the rules there. too.

I understand the judge did not want to imprison this woman for six months..I am ok with that,-but I am glad that he gave her the two days. She also needed to know she couldn't just walk away on such a serious offense. I don't think that with young people with these illnesses, that a six month or super heavy sentence will add much to the lesson they learn with a couple days or a week. I know it wouldn't with my son. The lesson is in the fact that he would go to jail at all, not in the length of time.

I do think this woman was pretty well aware of what she was doing, and I believe she intended to say what she said. I don't think, however, that she knew how MUCH trouble she would be in for saying it. I think she was pretty panicked when she had to go before the judge. I can't say too much about the lack of tears, as my son responds very emotional to crisis's, and when he gets in trouble, (and perceived injustices). He doesn't usually have the tears-he does have the emotional behavior and the 'panic'.

However, a valid question was raised-if Casey is proven to be diagnosed with these or equal mental problems, will the judge or the courts cut her slack in the sentencing? Using the standards applied yesterday, it seems that whatever 'slack' this woman was given, would also have to be applied in some degree to Casey, would it not? Granted-this girl didn't kill a child-but if it can be proved Casey didn't know right from wrong at that time, or has/had poor to no impulse control..wouldn't the same standards apply? Is this what the DT is counting on?

Just for the record, I don't think I would ever take my son into a courtroom-I have very serious doubts he would be able to be quiet-whatever goes through his brain, comes out his mouth. He would never be intending to hurt people, or cause trouble, but whatever he thinks, he says.

This is all JMO.

I appreciate your candor, and I agree with you so much.

I have lots of experience with mental illness, my own as well as many other peoples. I've learned from all the years of dealing with this, the worst thing people can do is enable. Unfortunately, I feel like the majority of people don't seem to get this, and IMO, our country is turning into a place where one person's mental illness trumps everyone else's rights.

In many states, if not all, when a person is sentenced to..let's say 6 years.. they don't serve the whole 6 years. They serve about 2/3s of it and 1/3 is 'time off for good behavior'. Unless HHJP had said she was to serve the entire 48 hours it would be normal for them to let her out early.

As far as "crazies running loose", one can not hospitalize or commit a person to psychiatric care anymore unless it is proven that they are a danger to themselves or others. Proven. That's why so many mentally ill people are living on the street homeless. *** a few years ago in my state, a mentally ill man was living with his sister, her husband and their children. They took him to Mercy Hospital 2 times in an evening because he was talking about killing people. Mercy sent him home both times because he hadn't done anything except talk about it. The next morning the whole household was dead except him. Those are our wonderful liberal laws now, MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stefunee
Back