Outrage! - being made to wear pants

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it legal for non citizens to file lawsuits? If not, it should be. IMVHO.

They should not get full rights until they become citizens.

That would not be fair! There are millions of LEGAL permanent residents. They abide by our laws and pay taxes. Are you aware of the citizenship process, and how long it takes?

Do other religions have these issues,or is it just Muslims? I think Orthadox Jews regard pork as unclean,but do they refuse to handle it grocery stores? I truelly don't know,just that I never hear of these issues,unless its someone of Muslim faith. Does the media just publicize these things to stir up trouble?

Prior to 9/11, we didn't hear too much about Muslim's and their beliefs. So, I would say that a lot if it is the media stirring up trouble. They LOVE to do that!

I don't eat pork, won't touch it, or go near it! It is against my beliefs!

I have always admired Muslims. I only wish I could be so faithful and devoted in my own religion. These people are taught to live and breath their religion. How many of us can honestly say we do that every single day of our lives?

Prior to 9/11, we didn't hear too much about Muslim's and their beliefs. So, I would say that a lot if it is the media stirring up trouble. They LOVE to do that!

I don't eat pork, won't touch it, or go near it! It is against my beliefs!

I have always admired Muslims. I only wish I could be so faithful and devoted in my own religion. These people are taught to live and breath their religion. How many of us can honestly say we do that every single day of our lives?
I have no problem with anyone who lives and breathes their religion, until, it means everyone else around them, has to accomodate "their" beliefs- then it is a problem-

I wonder how well Americans would be treated in some of these complaining refugees' countries of origin trying to follow through with religous practice?:rolleyes:

I wonder how well Americans would be treated in some of these complaining refugees' countries of origin trying to follow through with religous practice?:rolleyes:

Welcomed with open arms and completely accomodated!

(or executed)

OK, I'm up late with a migraine, so maybe this won't make sense....

To totally avoid the subject of religion altogether, why can't they show a video and do some training about what happens when you wear dresses around the tortilla machines and suggesting a safer clothing code. Then have everyone sign a waiver stating they understand the risks if they choose to dress in a manner that may be unsafe.

Like I said, I'm on meds so this may not be a workable solution, but it seems to me like it would put the responsibility back on the people who could actually get sucked into the machines...

Kind of like the Driver Education movies from when I was a teen. They sure made ME drive better! Yuck!

Do other religions have these issues,or is it just Muslims? I think Orthadox Jews regard pork as unclean,but do they refuse to handle it grocery stores? I truelly don't know,just that I never hear of these issues,unless its someone of Muslim faith. Does the media just publicize these things to stir up trouble?

What a good question. I have never heard of an Orthodox Jew being mentioned in the same context as this. I would imagine that they avoid jobs that would force them to compromise their beliefs. Which is what these people should do.......don't drive a taxi if you are picky about who you pick up or what is in their luggage, don't be a grocery clerk if you can't handle the groceries; it would be wise for them to avoid applying for Christian church/Jewish synogogue secretary jobs, etc.

I think alot of the problem with the Somalian Muslims is that they are basically uneducated and the types of jobs they qualify for don't seem to meet their special needs for irregularly scheduled breaks and put them in contact with people/products they wish to avoid.

I really think the answer for them is education. If they open up their own businesses, the problem is solved. Heck, if 10 of them open up businesses, they've improved the economy and provided jobs for their fellow Somalians.

I just don't think we can expect American production factories to ignore safety regulations and loss of productivity through excessive break-times, etc. And surely we cannot expect a taxi company to employ drivers who refuse to pick up fares! Or grocery stores to hire clerks who won't handle everything the customer buys. These companies should be free to fire ANY employee who cannot or will not perform the job competently, efficently and without raising safety hazards.

Some of the comments made here are so ethnocentric and narrow minded. If people would quit being so reactionary and actually take the time to learn about our involvement in these regions, the consequences of that and the reasons why this country takes in refugee's. And don't act like we allowed these people to come here out of the goodness of our gov't heart. They are here due to save face and to help fill crap jobs with crap wages to make some millionaire businessman more money while he treats his employees like slaves and denies them their Freedom of Religon which is a guaranteed right in this country. The same people who act so offended because these Muslims want to pray as THEIR religion dictates are some of the same people who want prayer in public schools to become mandatory....that is a double standard if I ever saw one.
If these people were not Muslims then I do not think this post would even be here. Americans have allowed themselves to fall victim to media propaganda filling their heads with stereotypes and prejudices.
Comments like 'watch out or this will become a third world country' are dripping with ignorance. So people who are other nationalities, religions, dress and economic class create the third world? No. Poverty creates the third world and what creates poverty on a massive scale like that? Why is it that some of the poorest countries in the world are the richest in resources? Could it be because huge 1st world companies run under the premise of capitalism only come in make deals with the ruling party, buy up the land which was owned by the people, then hire those people at slave wages to harvest it, export the countries resources and put nothing back into the economy. THAT creates the third world because that creates abject poverty which creates extremism, class struggles, government instability. It is all related. It is all cyclic. But of course I don't expect most of you to even begin to try to understand because you have been so endoctrinated into believeing one thing, one way and one of those is to believe that anyone who questions the intentions, the actions and the motivations behind countries fueled by capitalism are 'crazy and radical'. Not really. We are just critical thinkers who have taken the time and initiative to read beyond the nightly news and the NYTimes.

I hope these people sue this company for violation of their first amendment rights. They were hired under the understanding they could dress in the accords of their religion and to most of these people their religion is their LIFE. When they were living in Somalia surrounded by death, disease, starvation, war, women being raped by the hundreds, all they had was their religion and for some corporate *advertiser censored* to ask them to violate one the tenants of that religion is unacceptable and unfair. To them, it is the equivalent of your boss walking up to you and telling you that you can't wear that gold cross on your necklace anymore or you have to stop praying before you meals when you eat in the cafeteria.

Okay, have fun freaking out and talking about how nuts and misguided I am. I have been studying this stuff for years.

Couldn't disagree more with this post. In the past refugees have assimilated. I feel it is ethnocentric of others to come to this country and expect us to embrace their practices, beliefs and customs.

They do not feel the need to now and that is wrong. People need to come here and want to assimilate or we will be lost in the chaos.

I have even worked in the Peace Corp and the first thing you are told to do is prepare yourself for culture shock..because the culture is different..then assimilate if you want to make head way.

So these people come here looking for change from where they are currently living..be it war, poverty, religious freedom..but then they do not embrace the change. They expect to keep their own language and practices and then influence us to accept them. Try to make us feel we are the ones who need to change. If they want jobs..they need to apply for jobs they can do..not jobs they can't do for whatever reason. They need to learn to speak English..which few anymore even try to do..because English is our country's language. They need to assimilate or go home.

Perhaps there are other countries that would be a better fit. But since when did we have to assume that because THEY have come here they can take away the way we live and work, make new rules, because of their customs?

This isn't harsh, this is realistic based on our country's history. We have always been made up of so many different heritages, customs, languages..yet all of our forefathers came here and learned to assimilate to create this country we now have.

I would suggest that the newcomers either start trying to assimilate or find another country more compatible to their beliefs and customs and language.

Absolutely it's the employer's right to change whatever they want. However, the employees also have rights and included in them is the right to quit and file a lawsuit. I was working for a company for over a year, when they changed my hours and I was forced to quit. They fought my unemployment on the basis that I quit. However, I won, because they changed the terms of my employment and I wouldn't have quit except for the change in hours. Also, I've worked HR in manufacturing companies. I know that if the company wanted to, they could work with these women and come up with an alternative.

I remember a time when companies cared about their employees.

I would like to get a little more of the story and see if the company offered the employees an alternative. Maybe they changed to pants to get rid of the female Muslim employees? Who knows, but bully for them in jumping on board and exercising their right to frivolous law suits!!

Is it legal for non citizens to file lawsuits? If not, it should be. IMVHO.

They should not get full rights until they become citizens.

Sewing Deb,
Absolutely. It's absurd that a non citizen can sue, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark2221
Back