Owen Wilson hospitalized

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agree and disagree.

Doctors, therapy, medication and family are all available to him. Not so with many others who don't have wealth. Additonally in his industry there is nothing taboo about anything......except maybe a marriage that lasts :D

It would look that way from the outside, wouldn't it? But when you are in the midst of depression and thoughts of suicide, things don't necessarily look that way from the inside.

Agree and disagree.

Doctors, therapy, medication and family are all available to him. Not so with many others who don't have wealth. Additonally in his industry there is nothing taboo about anything......except maybe a marriage that lasts :D

I think you might be missing the point that depression does not allow anyone in any situation to see a positive "reality".

To us, on the outside, it may seem like he has so much available to him that others don't; but to him, on the inside, I assure you it doesn't seem this way at all.

If you get on the rollercoaster of cocaine/ heroin; it's very hard to get off that track. You're addicted; you HAVE to have help.

When you start using, you usually don't think rock bottom can happen to you.

It's a good sign that he only "attempted" suicide. He's crying for help.

Many men are proud and think they can detox or break the habit on their own. They can't.

I'm beginning to wonder even MORE about Hollywood. How can they get on to this stuff and ruin their lives? It's horrible and very sad. (I'm thinking Downey, Lohan, how many others are there?

I'm beginning to wonder even MORE about Hollywood. How can they get on to this stuff and ruin their lives? It's horrible and very sad. (I'm thinking Downey, Lohan, how many others are there?

There is a multitude of people that sidle up next to you when you are a celebrity spouting all kind of crap into your ears. And most of them are all yes-men, so that doesn't help matters either.

"It's a good sign that he only "attempted" suicide. He's crying for help."

Martha, it seems you are interpreting the phrase "attempted suicide" to mean that Wilson didn't actually desire to kill himself. I think they only use the word "attempted" because he was not successful in completing the act rather than to imply that this was not a serious desire to kill himself.

Taking a bunch of pills and slitting one's wrist(s) sounds to me like more than "a cry for help". It sounds like a plan for death.

I have not seen any info as to how his brother came to find him when he did, but I am glad for Owen that he was found. I too wish him well. Clinical depression is bad enough - then to add drug abuse to the mix, how sad for him.

I feel bad not only for him but for his family and friends also. While most likely very happy and very grateful that he is alive, they surely must be going through a whole lot of anguish of their own right now.

Eight suicides among families/friends that I know about:
1.) Man in his 40's, long time history of alcoholism. Divorce from wife #1 after being charged with sexually molesting a teenage neighbor girl. Left town, remarried, had two small children with wife #2. She was out one day and came home to find he had shot himself with a shotgun sitting in a chair, used his toe to pull the trigger, they said.
2.) 15 year old female with two year history of "mental problems". She was "in counseling". Slit her wrists while parents were not home and died.
3.) Elderly widowed man (80's) who lived alone, had been ill for a long time but did not have cancer or anything terminal. Shot himself in the chest using a shotgun. This was the grandfather of a friend.
4.) 50-something wife of a work acquaintance. She had a history of "being in counseling". According to husband, their adult son came over to visit on a Sunday morning. She cooked breakfast for all, got up from table at end of meal, went into bedroom and shot herself in the head. She left a note, he did not share what it said. Husband claims there was no arguement or anything like that. They had just returned 4 days earlier from a two week European vacation - he said he thought they had a good time.
5.) Two males in their mid 20's living in a cabin together at a local ski resort, both working as ski instructors/ski patrol. They were at a local bar drinking and partying with friends, but "not getting shyte-faced or anything like that" according to roomate. Suicide guy left before roomate saying he was going home to go to bed. Roomate came home an hour or so later and found he had hung himself.
6.) Easter Sunday morning a husband who was a police officer and long-time drinker did not want to go to church with wife and two small girls. Wife went to church, returned to find husband had shot himself in the mouth with his service revolver.
7.) Mid-50's father of a friend, no known mental history and "didn't drink much". Mom and daughter went shopping, returned to find that father had killed himself by shooting himself in the chest.
8.) 26 year old female living at home had just had a second abortion. Shared this info with her older sister who was extremely harsh in her reaction to this news. 26 year old took fathers gun, called sister and said "I'm going to kill myself" and shot herself in the chest. Sister heard sound of shot through phone. She died 10 hours later.

Frightning, isn't it?

Frightning, isn't it?

Yes, it is.

My history:

1) My mother's mother, history of mental illness and possibly drug addiction, killed herself with a purposeful drug OD when my mother was 10.

2) My mother's stepmother, a control freak alcoholic witch, killed herself by shooting herself in the heart when my mother was 26.

3) Very popular best-all-around type classmate of mine for 12 years, with history of depression, hung himself in his garage when he was 22.

4) A close friend of our family's, with a history of depression and addiction, hung himself in his parent's home in his early 20s. Possiblity that he was gay and unable to come to terms with that.

5) My aunt's best friend and another close friend of our family shot herself when she was in her 60s, not too terribly long after her husband of many years had died.

6) My husband's stepbrother's younger brother, who had a history of drug abuse, suicide attempts and overachieving (he was athletic, musically gifted, going to Loyola on a full violin scholarship) came home from school one afternoon when he was 17-years old and a month before high school graduation and shot himself in his head. His mother found him, her only child. There is a large possibility that he was gay and couldn;t come to terms with this.

7)Roommate freshman year in college with history of mental illness and drug addiction slit her wrists one night and came and found me....she was not successful and got help and is doing well today.

8) Close friend of mine, history of drug addiction and depression, got clean and was clean for a year and doing well and then started using again and spiralling down in depression again - shot herself in the head several months ago.

9) Close friend of mine, history of drug addiction, got clean and was clean for 8+ years and then started using again and purposefully overdosed on heroin.

I know several other acquaintances in recovery who have similar stories to 8 and 9 - they just weren't close friends, but it's kind of an age-old story for addicts.

There are more in my life but am tired of writing about it. I don't know many people who haven't been touched by suicide (attempted or carried out) on some level. I am grateful that I have never wanted to do this and have enourmous empathy for people who see this as an option.

Despite the gossip, I'm not so sure Owen's problems are ILLEGAL drugs (Cocaine & Heroin) - especially after what, 2 stints in detox-rehab. I tend to believe that like Anna and Downey and others in the news lately, that Owen's addiction problems are much more likely to be "legal" prescription drugs - Vicodin, Oxy et al - combined with alcohol and perhaps even (like Anna, Marilyn, Garland and many others) combined abuse of pain meds, alcohol, anti-anxiety meds, sleeping aids and even "uppers" like Adderall and Ritalin. Owen has to be insurable to work in movies and I doubt he was buying and using street drugs - especially when the legal equivalents are so available in Hollywood and elsewhere. He would have been introduced to appropriate prescription substitutes in rehab.

I am going with bipolar, adult ADHD, addiction to alcohol & prescription drugs. Fame and Wealth do not "fix" the 1st two and merely make the 2nd two more easy to obtain and the addiction easier to hide. A combination of those 4 ARE a recipe for suicide - either by accident or by intent. Being single and apparently unable to maintain a relationship long term doesn't help either - especially now that he is not as "close" to his support system - his brothers and his family - as he once was pre-fame.

Suicidal people are NOT cured by fame, money or success. They aren't cured by love, children, love of family or "having it all". Their pain is INSIDE - in their mind - and it goes on despite "perfection" in their life. In fact - the more the INNER world is in opposition to EXTERNAL reality, the greater the pressure to end/escape the pain and confusion and helplessness by ending it all grows. THEY KNOW they have no reason to feel the way they do, but they do - and finding no answer in alcohol or drugs they sometimes decide that they are worthless and flawed - it HURTS daily to be them and no-one understands how THEY could be in pain when they have it all. The more the person has, the more successful he appears to be, the less understanding and more dismissive people are.

Just look at what people here who don't know him are saying. He couldn't have a problem - he's funny, talented, rich, women want him, he's always joking - he and his family are healthy, everything is GREAT, he is a success in a tough business. Therefore...He must be weak or immature or spoiled - just plain DUMB for attempting suicide with ALL THAT going for him.

Suicide doesn't make sense - that's why people are so SHOCKED when it touches them. And often the signs aren't there - making survivor's guilt so prevalent. "How many times have we heard the survivors say.."if only I had known"?

My Opinion

Despite the gossip, I'm not so sure Owen's problems are ILLEGAL drugs (Cocaine & Heroin) - especially after what, 2 stints in detox-rehab. I tend to believe that like Anna and Downey and others in the news lately, that Owen's addiction problems are much more likely to be "legal" prescription drugs - Vicodin, Oxy et al - combined with alcohol and perhaps even (like Anna, Marilyn, Garland and many others) combined abuse of pain meds, alcohol, anti-anxiety meds, sleeping aids and even "uppers" like Adderall and Ritalin. Owen has to be insurable to work in movies and I doubt he was buying and using street drugs - especially when the legal equivalents are so available in Hollywood and elsewhere. He would have been introduced to appropriate prescription substitutes in rehab.....

Legal or illegal - I'm not sure how much it matters. I've been to at least five funerals in the past five years from people dead at the hands of legal narcotic painkillers. It doesn't matter if you are using heroin to get high or oxycontin to get high - the result is the same as a drug addict.

Plus, heroin and cocaine are totally acceptable and popular in Hollywood.

There is a multitude of people that sidle up next to you when you are a celebrity spouting all kind of crap into your ears. And most of them are all yes-men, so that doesn't help matters either.

Good point, Paladin. I'm plenty addicted to caffeine and nicotine. But I've never had to deal with sycophants offering me cocaine or heroin on a regular basis.

I'm NOT saying Owen Wilson bears no responsibility for his situation, just that he and people like him deal with pressures and temptations I've never faced.

The whole thing is just sad, sad, sad.

And may it be a wakeup call to some of the others in Hollywood who are pushing the envelope really hard lately!

More prayers for Owen and his family...

Steve Coogan blamed for Owen Wilson's drug spiral

Owen Wilson reportedly went on a three day drug bender before his suicide attempt
Steve Coogan has been dragged into a blame game over the apparent suicide attempt of Hollywood actor Owen Wilson.

Coogan's former girlfriend Courtney Love claimed that the Alan Partridge star's notorious lifestyle could have been partly responsible for Wilson's downwards spiral into drug problems.

Wilson, who is recovering after reportedly slashing his wrists and taking a cocktail of illegal drugs, is a close friend of Coogan, 41.

Today Love suggested that Coogan's drug-taking and bad influence pushed Wilson, 38, over the edge.

Coogan and Wilson were scheduled to work together on Ben Stiller's forthcoming film Tropic Thunder, however Wilson has pulled out of the project to focus on his recovery, according to American publication Varitey.

"Under normal circumstances I wouldn't comment but I care too much about Owen," Love said.

Love, 43, goes on to say that Coogan's friendship fuelled Wilson's drug use - reportedly heroin and cocaine - his descent into depression and his attempt to take his own life.

A report in The Sun claim the actor went on a three-day bender, which saw him induce a cocktail of crystal meth and OxyContin - also known as "hillbilly heroin."

"I went through it with Steve," said Love. "I tried to warn Owen. I tried to warn his friends."

MORE AT LINK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=478430&in_page_id=1773

Steve Coogan blamed for Owen Wilson's drug spiral

Owen Wilson reportedly went on a three day drug bender before his suicide attempt
Steve Coogan has been dragged into a blame game over the apparent suicide attempt of Hollywood actor Owen Wilson.

Coogan's former girlfriend Courtney Love claimed that the Alan Partridge star's notorious lifestyle could have been partly responsible for Wilson's downwards spiral into drug problems.

Wilson, who is recovering after reportedly slashing his wrists and taking a cocktail of illegal drugs, is a close friend of Coogan, 41.

Today Love suggested that Coogan's drug-taking and bad influence pushed Wilson, 38, over the edge.

Coogan and Wilson were scheduled to work together on Ben Stiller's forthcoming film Tropic Thunder, however Wilson has pulled out of the project to focus on his recovery, according to American publication Varitey.

"Under normal circumstances I wouldn't comment but I care too much about Owen," Love said.

Love, 43, goes on to say that Coogan's friendship fuelled Wilson's drug use - reportedly heroin and cocaine - his descent into depression and his attempt to take his own life.

A report in The Sun claim the actor went on a three-day bender, which saw him induce a cocktail of crystal meth and OxyContin - also known as "hillbilly heroin."

"I went through it with Steve," said Love. "I tried to warn Owen. I tried to warn his friends."

MORE AT LINK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=478430&in_page_id=1773

Let it be noted that if Courtney Love thinks someone is a bad influence, my ears perk up! :eek:

I still continue to pray for Owen's recovery. He is so very talented and appears to be a very likeable person.

Unless you have suffered from severe depression, you have no idea what the depths of sadness can be to one. When you are at the point that you are ready to commit suicide, you feel as though that it is clearest thought you have possibly ever had. You are not selfish or cowardly. You have finally found a way to ease the pain of your existence, not only for yourself but also for those around you. I pray no one here ever feels that lonely.

I couldn't do it because I was afraid my children would find me and I didn't want that image to be with them forever.

Let it be noted that if Courtney Love thinks someone is a bad influence, my ears perk up! :eek:

I have read she is clean, sober and healthy for the first time in years. I pray that is so and that she can keep it up for the sake of Francis Bean, at least. She needs her mom.

I have read she is clean, sober and healthy for the first time in years. I pray that is so and that she can keep it up for the sake of Francis Bean, at least. She needs her mom.

Me too, tennessee, and I am delighted for her and Francis. I am actually an unrepentant Courtney Love fan - I relate to her a lot in a lot of ways and always have.

Still, if someone with her history calls someone else a bad influence, I listen!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k2910
Back