PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I called for a status report some time ago and had a bad experience, so I won't do that any more. DNA for Mr. Bones has been on file for some time, which is why it was crucial to get DNA from a suitable relative of CC. This we managed to do when the article ran in The Lima News.

I think you have done a great job with this, and have worked really hard, and have done all you can at this point. Sorry someone was rude to you when you checked the status last. The few times I tried to make tips about UIDs to LE it was not a good experience either.

I think you have done a great job with this, and have worked really hard, and have done all you can at this point. Sorry someone was rude to you when you checked the status last. The few times I tried to make tips about UIDs to LE it was not a good experience either.

Thanks dogperson. Good things have come as well, most of the LE contacts I have made have been great. I may have just got someone on a bad day.

May I please ask have you heard of any updates on Mr Bones?

There is still no match and no rule out for Charles Conner and Mr. Bones. Since they are both in the system, I would think that it should be known by now. I do not make a pest of myself, but I have been completely frozen out. No one has returned calls or emails. I may send one more letter to the Pa. Attorney General's office just to be thorough.

Do any of you have any idea why it would take so long? Did I step on toes? I was not comfortable doing the interviews but without a news story a suitable relative would not have come forward.

Any suggestions?

I still think this is a great match and you did really good work putting all this together. Until we hear otherwise I'm not giving up hope that Charles Conner and Mr. Bones are the same person.

I still think this is a great match and you did really good work putting all this together. Until we hear otherwise I'm not giving up hope that Charles Conner and Mr. Bones are the same person.

Thanks dogperson. I still have never found anything that makes it unlikely that there is a match, and a few things never made public actually make it more likely. But until they run the test or reveal results this is as far as I can go, the end of the line.

It has been 56 years now since the death of "Mr. Bones". Hopefully there will be some determination soon regarding the DNA testing.

So many clues and so many seemingly dead ends in this case.

The Charley Project page for Charles Conner now includes a section about the possibility that he is Mr. Bones.

August 10, 2014 will mark 57 years since the shooting of Charles Conner. As of yet, Mr. B. and CC have not been matched or ruled out. No one has returned my emails or phone messages, and I have no idea when this will be resolved one way or the other.

August 10, 2014 will mark 57 years since the shooting of Charles Conner. As of yet, Mr. B. and CC have not been matched or ruled out. No one has returned my emails or phone messages, and I have no idea when this will be resolved one way or the other.

I made a recent side trip to Bedford, spoke to two people and neither had heard of Mr. B.
Camp Chalybeate was evidently a fishing camp.

I assume that DNA from a Conner nephew was not adequate for either a match or exclusion. I will attempt to find a potential mitochondrial match, they got a good mitochondrial sample from Mr. B.

In all that's been posted and/or read in regard to dear old Mr. Bones, has the make or model of the abandoned car that was found at the Midway Service Plaza ever been stated?

In all that's been posted and/or read in regard to dear old Mr. Bones, has the make or model of the abandoned car that was found at the Midway Service Plaza ever been stated?

No. I doubt it would be significant if we knew. He was found about a half mile north of the Turnpike, but to get there you have to exit the Turnpike and drive several miles on back roads. In other words, it is a short distance in a straight line but hard to get from point a to point b. I bet that was the first thing they investigated in 1958.

Last time I passed through I found out that Camp Chalybeate was a fishing camp.

Charles Conner is the best potential match in 56 years. My last best hope of solving this is to locate a relative who could potentially match the mitochondrial DNA and turn the information over to the family I am in contact with ( wonderful folks btw). Websleuths rules prohibit me from making that approach but certainly other family could.
I need to go back several generations in the maternal line, then forward to find a living descendant.

Anyone here good with genealogy and want to help? PM me.

I am low on energy and discouraged because no one in LE returns calls or emails. I guess it is time to start working on him again.

Mr. Bones, Mr. Bones
In a barrel all alone
Will we ever get you home, Mr. Bones?
Nobody cares, nobody tries
To find out how you lived and died
The Websleuths are your only kin
We look and look and look again
In every archive we can find
And surely the answer lies in some dusty book
Waiting for us to take a look
The Sleuths await the coming day
Through dentals or your DNA
When we'll no longer call you Mr. Bones.

Not good poetry but I had to get that off my chest....

Every time I see you reply, Magnum PE, I hold my breath that Mr Bones has his name back. We will be here rallying on until it happens. Charles Conner is such a strong match. I hope it's confirmed one day.

With all due respect, no piece of information is insignificant until proven otherwise... So if anyone is aware of the vehicle info, please let me know.

Has anyone heard of any updates on Mr Bones? Can someone call and find out? We should have heard at least something by now.

Hello Ms. Suzanne,
We are presently doing genealogy to find a suitable mitochondrial match. We believe that one exists, and if it is determined that one does, relatives who are involved in the case will make the approach.

My feeling is that this man - IF he killed himself - did it by placing the rifle with the trigger in a tree branch, and pulled it toward his head. But it would have seemed rather obvious if that were the case, and it was never mentioned in initial police reports.

A full size man can easily put the barrel in his mouth and pull the trigger with his hand.

Poetry is often the refuge of the distraught. Maybe we went out solo hoping to resolve some inner turmoil. When he couldn't resolve it, he resulted to plan B...suicide. Also, he was found not far from the highway. Although today a hitchhiker would have a hard time finding a ride with a rifle, in the 50's firearms were viewed differently and less suspiciously.

Pass thru - if you read the last few pages of this thread, you will learn all you need to know. Although, we can't speak in absolutes, yet....Magnum has single handedly figured this thing out.

I am sure you will agree, he did an excellent job.

Pass thru - if you read the last few pages of this thread, you will learn all you need to know. Although, we can't speak in absolutes, yet....Magnum has single handedly figured this thing out.

I am sure you will agree, he did an excellent job.

Thanks Eddie. We have identified two individuals who are potential matches for the mitochondrial DNA of Charles Conner. Relatives are in the process of contacting them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back