PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My thoughts Exactly on the MC jacket and the Engineer boots. Not an outfit for camping or hiking. Have the titles of the books he had ever been mentioned?

Yes, the books are mentioned in earlier posts. I actually obtained copies of those books years ago. They seem to be something that would have been used in college courses on Poetry or Philosophy.

Duwane Roy Dreher
Missing Person Case
Seems to have walked away from his life in Mason City Iowa in 1955.
Part of his story is "going to Chicago"
He's short compared to estimate and there's no indication he had or would have needed contacts.

I came across this guy and thought of Mr Bones.. especially because of his height. His weight is a bit on the thinner side but I thought I would add him any way.
These are old Wanted Ads in the Sheriffs Star from 1957 in Florida

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_1,_NO_1_MARCH_1957.pdf

JAMES BROWN and/or LEON FRAZER White male,
28-30, 6' 2", to 6' 6", tall, slender build, 160 pounds,
light brown hair with straight medium cut;
ruddy suntanned complexion.
On September 20, 1956 in Green Cove Springs subject using name JAMES BROWN passed a worthless check drawn on pay
roll check of O. D. YATES CONSTRUCTION CO., BANK OF GRAY, GRAY, GA.
On September 29, 1956 same described subject using name JAMES BROWN cashed a similar check in Wauchula, Florida. Claimed be bulldozer operator, using South Carolina drivers license ¹ 1220413 as means of identification. Both checks returned marked "No Account". Previously on June 18, 1956, a similar described person using name LEON FRAZER cashed three checks in Panama City drawn on same company and bank. A Bay County drivers license and a Social Security card used as means of identification. Checks returned marked "No Account". Notify Sheriff Daffin, Panama City; Sheriff Hall, Creen Cove Springs; Sheriff Carlton, Wauchula and Florida Sheriffs Bureau.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.png
    IMG_2400.png
    848.7 KB · Views: 10
I also found this guy who was missing from Kentucky.. I know I read somewhere on the thread that it was mentioned they thought he could of been from Kentucky. This guy is only 6 feet but I thought I would add him also. (I don't know if this guy was ever found either)

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_1,_NO_11,_JANUARY_1958.pdf

GEORGE A. HOWARD White male, age 28, height 6 feet, weight 175 pounds, light brown hair, grey eyes.
First joint of middle finger, left h a n d missing. Disappeared from his home, Walton, Ky. July 7, 1957.
Prior to coming to Kentucky he lived in Fort Lauderdale for three months.
Believed to be somewhere in Florida, possibly Cocoa, Orlando, Port Lauderdale. Shortly after his disappearance complications developed in his wife's pregnancy, and doctors advise it is most imperative to find him. If this subject's whereabouts known, notify his mother MRS. C. HOWARD, Route g„ i|)g)Esy., or FioriCh .She'riffs Bureau, '4 Tallahassee

Attachments

• IMG_2425.png
    IMG_2425.png
    971.8 KB · Views: 7
This is another guy within the height range wanted from October 1957

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_1,_NO_8,_OCTOBER_1957.pdf

BILL SAHDS (Photo at Left) white male, age 35 to 40,
height 6 feet 2 inches, weighs 190 pounds, regular build,
light brown hair, brown eyes, fah complexion. Occupation entertainer, comedian master of ceremonies.
Usually plays the larger night clubs. Felony warrant issued charge worthless checks. Notify Sheriff Dsfhn, Panama City, Fla., or Florida Sheriffs Bureau, Tallahassee, Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.png
    IMG_2410.png
    630.3 KB · Views: 5
I also came across this also and thought of Mr Bones..

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_1,_NO_3,_MAY_1957.pdf

WHO IS THIS MAN?
STUART, FLORIDA. On April 1, 1957 an unknown deceased person was found in a secluded area of Jonathan Dickinson State Park, located 16 miles south of Stuart.
The skeleton is believed to be that of a white male, age 50 to 55, height 6'6", weight 160 to 170.
There is nothing about the skeletalized remains to indicate cause and manner of death.
He appeared to have suffered from severe case of rheumatism or arthritis, causing him to walk in a slightly stooped manner. He wore clear transparent plastic framed glasses, the right lens being a semi-oval convex. indicating near-sightedness.
He carried. an aluminum spectacle case with blue cloth cover.
He wore suspenders with leather fastener tips and a pair Of black, high top shoes size 9 1/2 or 10. They were of cap toe design and had been reheeled and half-soled.
He apparently carried a small, medium brown canvas zippered handbag.-I two blade pocket knife with imitation pearl handles, ewe pound ball peen hammer with home made handle of ashwood; a 30 inch single barrel. 12 gauge shotgun with exposed hammer.
A complete description of teeth, and Xrays of imngs on file Sheriffs alee Stuart and Florida Sheriffs Hmeau. Anyone having or beliefs to have any knowledge ca information that may lead to the identify of this person notify Sheriff Baker, Stuart, PbL„or Florida Sheriffs

Attachments

• IMG_2406.png
    IMG_2406.png
    802.6 KB · Views: 10
I came across this guy and thought of Mr Bones.. ... Both checks returned marked "No Account". Previously on June 18, 1956, a similar described person using name LEON FRAZER cashed three checks in Panama City drawn on same company and bank. A Bay County drivers license and a Social Security card used as means of identification. Checks returned marked "No Account". ...

Some people say I'm a 'No count'
Others say I'm no good
But I'm just a natural born travelin' man
Doin' what I think I should, oh yeah
Doin' what I think I should...

LINK:

www.songlyrics.com/kingston-trio/greenback-dollar-lyrics/

I have read the entire thread. I have little to add other than thoughts on what all these clues mean. And thoughts that will not bring any further answers. I believe Mr Bones was a free spirit who wanted to explore and see what was out there.

dental work - I believe he had the means to have extensive dental work at one time (either family money or a well paying job/benefits) but something happened within his last few years and it was either no longer available or he no longer sought it out.

contacts - I think someone wearing contacts at this time would have been a heavy glasses wearer. I can't imagine spending that kind of money unless it was something that would be utilized. My mom had hard contacts in the 70's. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times she wore them. She said they were horribly uncomfortable. I think we are looking for someone that is noted as wearing glasses

The gun - I find nothing odd about traveling with a gun other than it's size making it difficult to carry around. It was very common back then and still is in my area during any kind of hunting season. I believe it was probably for hunting (food if he planned on being in the woods for any significant amount of time) and for protection (more from wildlife in the woods than anything else - I'm not sure what the bear population is in PA but I'm guessing it's right up there with Maine)

The clothing/supplies - I think he may have been a boy scout for a couple of years but I don't think he had any sort of survival training - boy scout or military.

Books - I think he was a poet or in the literary field or wanted to be. I do suspect he spent some time in NY. There seemed to be quite the free spirit culture going on in the Avenue A neighborhood and I think those were his people and that was his thing.

I think he may have decided to move on and decided to camp/sleep under the stars wherever he landed for the night. I'm not reading too much into his clothes. A non experienced camper probably wouldn't know what was best to wear. Nor would someone who had spent most of his life in a city environment.

So still no closer to finding our guy. I go between accidental death and suicide. I'm just not sure someone who was planning on suicide would have all that gear so leaning more towards accidental.

Last edited:
I live about 40 minutes from the location where Mr Bones remains were found in 1958.
I tried contacting the Bedford County Police about 1 1/2 years ago without success.

Today, I tried again and spoke to a very friendly officer who expressed great interest in contacting DNA Doe Project. I emailed her all of the information needed.

Fingers crossed that things proceed successfully and DNA Doe Project takes on his case !

He is long overdue in recovering his name.

I still think magnum PE had the answer. I think there is something in his family tree that threw this off track.
Thanks Eddie. The kind of DNA testing done then would not be expected to give a match except in the case of siblings or parent/child. If modern testing is done it may give an answer. I would NOT regard Charles Conner as a rule out based only on a non match from CODIS. It is just unproven either way. I am staying out of it, as I feel that I did all I could. I do hope that DNA Doe Project gets involved, but the LE entity in charge has to consent to it.

"Mr. Bones"- Bedford County, PA-October 9, 1958 Unidentified White Male

Found October 9, 1958 in a wooded area near Bedford, Bedford County.

•Estimated Age: 30 to 35 years old
•Estimated Height: 6'4" plus or minus 2"
•Estimated Weight: 200 lbs, "robust build"
•Hair Color: Brown
•Eye Color: Unknown
•State of Remains: Skeletal
•Estimated Time of Death: 6 months to a year, possibly longer.
•DNA: Available
•Dentals: Available, gold dental work.
•Other: One plastic contact lens

•Clothing:
Heavy black leather "motorcycle" jacket, black leather engineer-type boots, blue denim pants with wide black leather belt, white t-shirt, jockey type shorts, gray wool socks with red top.

•Items Found With Remains:
A 30-06 Springfield rifle with one bullet fired from it and two left in the chamber;three boxes of ammunition; sleeping bag or bed roll, backpack; spare underwear;towels, mess kit and shaving kit; wallet with $23 in it; heavy brass key with "Active 195 Avenue A" stamped on it, brand name "Unger"; three books - "100 Modern Poems", "Reading Poems" and "Science and the Modern World".

•Case Details
On Thursday, October 9, 1958, shortly after sunrise, a maintenance foreman for the Sun Pipeline Company and his crew of four men were clearing brush from a pipeline right-of-way that runs through the Chalybeate area of Bedford, about a 1/2 mile from the PA Turnpike's north Midway Plaza.

The foreman stumbled upon the worn and weathered skeleton of a man who has come to be known affectionately as "Mr Bones". His remains were scattered along a ravine, possibly due to a stream that runs through the ravine. Many of his bones were held together by the clothes he wore. His possessions were found nearby.
It was estimated that he lay there for at least 6 to 8 months, possibly longer.

There was no apparent means of transportation. A car that had been abandoned on the turnpike around the time that Mr Bones died was determined not to be associated with him, so how he got to where he was found remains a mystery. His camping equipment, including a mess kit, appeared to be new but there were no eating utensils and no indication that he had brought food supplies.

Cause of death was a gunshot wound that shattered his skull, but whether it was an accident, suicide or homicide remains unknown. Investigators learned that the rifle had been shipped to a store in Fort Wayne, IN in 1938 but there were no records indicating who had purchased the gun.

Investigators believed the man to be somewhat well-off because of his gold dental work and a single plastic contact lens - a rare item at that time. The lens was traced to a manufacturer in Chicago and was fitted by an Illinois doctor, but no records exist indicating who purchased the lenses. It is not believed that he was native to the Bedford area.

**In June 1959, it was erroneously reported that Mr Bones had been laid to rest in the cemetery at the Bedford County Home in a grave marked "Unidentified Remains", however, in the 50+ years since he was found, he and his possessions have remained in a cardboard barrel at the county jail.**

If you have any information about this case, please contact:

Pennsylvania State Police
Troop G
Trooper David Clemens
814-696-6100
or
Bedford County Coroner's Office
814-652-9384

http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/585umpamrbones.html
_____
NamUs UP # 8011

•ME/C Case Number: 2-C-3-55
•Bedford County, Pennsylvania
•30 to 35 year old White Male

https://identifyus.org/cases/8011
_____
The Doe Network Case File: 585UMPA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/585umpa.html

Facebook

[URL='http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrExdqYXlZglCIAGDZjCWVH;_ylu=c2VjA3NyBHNsawNpbWcEb2lkAzgzYWZkYmEyMDU3NmQ2ODNkYjIwYjlkMmFjMmFjMmUwBGdwb3MDNDMEaXQDYmluZw--/RV=2/RE=1616301848/RO=11/RU=https%3a%2f%2fdygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net%2fi%2f39766%2f34938798_1.jpg%3fv%3d8D76ACB0F893490/RK=0/RS=oK6hdnGr2bMKmBlQsJe_TNj_CHc-'][URL='http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrExdqYXlZglCIA8jVjCWVH;_ylu=c2VjA3NyBHNsawNpbWcEb2lkAzA5ZmQyNGY3ZjQ5MTU1ZTBhNzdmNThiNzMzYWYxY2VlBGdwb3MDNQRpdANiaW5n/RV=2/RE=1616301848/RO=11/RU=https%3a%2f%2fpicturearchive.gunauction.com%2f129204511%2f9718850%2f055_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg/RK=0/RS=fEVFOSII_Yr63GSw5zXCjB30F9w-'][URL='http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrJ4NblXlZgKKoA9GJjCWVH;_ylu=c2VjA3NyBHNsawNpbWcEb2lkA2RhYTk4Njc1NjczYzFkMWMyOGE2ZDAxZmEzOGJhOWRjBGdwb3MDOTUEaXQDYmluZw--/RV=2/RE=1616301925/RO=11/RU=https%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fcommons%2f1%2f19%2fRemington_721_722_Rifles_From_1956_Catalog.jpg/RK=0/RS=4JL7FdfRcMJtyWYTyijKtjIuSrk-']
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

The rifle found with "Mr. Bones" was a Remington Model 721A like the ones pictured above. It was chambered to take the .30-06 Springfield center fire round.

The Model 721 and Model 722 along with the later Model 725 variant are bolt-action sporting rifles manufactured by Remington Arms from 1948 until 1961. The 721/722 replaced the short-lived Model 720. The Model 721/722 is considered to be one of the first modern, economically produced sporting rifles whose design largely continued with the subsequent and highly successful Model 700.

Hey guys. Just made an account because I find this case so damn interesting. Richard, you mentioned learning that the gun belonging to Mr. Bones is actually a Remington Model 721. Did the officer who told you this also tell you about any markings or numbers stamped on the receiver or barrel? It looks like these guns had symbols stamped on the left hand side of the base of the barrel that could give us a month and year of manufacture. Hope this helps

The rifle found with "Mr. Bones" was a Remington Model 721A like the ones pictured above. It was chambered to take the .30-06 Springfield center fire round.

The Model 721 and Model 722 along with the later Model 725 variant are bolt-action sporting rifles manufactured by Remington Arms from 1948 until 1961. The 721/722 replaced the short-lived Model 720. The Model 721/722 is considered to be one of the first modern, economically produced sporting rifles whose design largely continued with the subsequent and highly successful Model 700.

Attachments

• 6B5DC850-CC08-4279-B25C-74563553C184.jpeg
    6B5DC850-CC08-4279-B25C-74563553C184.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads