Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm

It's quite possible LE is trying to keep everything confidential in case there is foul play involved. If there is, they wouldn't want anything to be revealed to the potential perpetrator. But this makes it extremely difficult on the family to not receive any answers at all.

I'm not sure if I read it was WPXI who reported the bridge sighting? If so, they do have the tendency to report false news.

I believe I read somewhere that one of DJ's family members said LE seemed to think he did this to himself. I'll have to find where it was stated.

I'm curious. Examples?

I don't hear the word "official" and source used together in the video where DJ is reported on the bridge. They do not name their source which is an issue. WPXI crafts their words to infer it is an official but who knows who gave them this information. If it is an official source, why is this official releasing this confidential information to a reporter but not the family who are stating otherwise? I believe reports such as the WPXI video perpetuated the article that came out from KDKA this morning with the national group criticising the amount of disinformation in this case.

I don't hear the word "official" and source used together in the video where DJ is reported on the bridge. They do not name their source which is an issue. WPXI crafts their words to infer it is an official but who knows who gave them this information. If it is an official source, why is this official releasing this confidential information to a reporter but not the family who are stating otherwise? I believe reports such as the WPXI video perpetuated the article that came out from KDKA this morning with the national group criticising the amount of disinformation in this case.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/pittsburgh...s-search-for-missing-north-side-man/490995274

bbm

Investigators said they now believe James may have been walking toward his home on the North Side, but officials said he was seen at least one more time that night on the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

I can't think of exact examples, I'm sorry. What I do remember happening several times with WPXI is they will report a story without checking facts. I live in Western PA and used to watch WPXI news.

I found DJ's sister commenting on the "Dakota James Search Party Pittsburgh" Facebook group page (post suggesting Texas Equu Search and Recovery, dated 2/12), "We had this search group onboard. It police told them no. PGH police think he did this to himself so they aren't pressured to do much. So heartbreaking for we the family."

Watch the video again, the reporter does not say officials. The officials are cited as providing the Katz photo. The writers on the website are writing from teleprompters and are also anonymous. I read their click bait news often and there are often errors in the writing. I wouldn't put much faith into anything written on that website but the person with more credibility and nothing to gain and everything to lose, DJ's sister, is stating this is false. I choose to believe her.

bbm

No, we do not "know". The report attributed the information as being from an official source. I do not believe that news organization would make up such a thing regarding such a sensitive situation... the organization had nothing to gain and everything to lose: credibility.

LE, on the other hand, could have investigative reasons to not want that info released but it was inadvertently revealed or was a premature conclusion on their part.
You're correct in saying that we don't know, I should've worded it better and said now we can ASSUME the statement was not true. true We don't KNOW anything. I understand where you are coming from with LE maybe not wanting this info getting out "just in case", but if that is true then they have outright lied to the family. I don't feel that would be very productive in finding him. I have to go with that the family members say at this point.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

bbm

You're correct in saying that we don't know, I should've worded it better and said now we can ASSUME the statement was not true. true We don't KNOW anything. I understand where you are coming from with LE maybe not wanting this info getting out "just in case", but if that is true then they have outright lied to the family. I don't feel that would be very productive in finding him. I have to go with that the family members say at this point.

In many cases, it's neutral (and hopefully competent) professionals that triumph over emotional family. It is important to accept input from family, but LE approaches cases from statistical analysis and experience and (hopefully) weighs information without prejudice. Yes, I know that's an ideal perspective but legitimate.

An example case of family emotion blinding them to reality is that of Kayelyn Louder. KL's family insisted she was not experiencing mental health issues prior to her disappearance and ultimate death, even in the face of undeniable evidence. The KL case remains unresolved as to why / how KL ended up in a river five miles from her home but it seemed obvious to many that something was going on with her. Her family insists there wasn't.

This is not to say something was going on with DJ; the point I'm making is it is not always best to rely on emotionally-involved people (family) for unbiased insight and untainted truth.

LE has a method to their madness, and the frustrations of an information-hungry public and even family should not override the professional aspects of a case (assuming competency and integrity are primary values in the organization).

bbm

In many cases, it's neutral (and hopefully competent) professionals that triumph over emotional family. It is important to accept input from family, but LE approaches cases from statistical analysis and experience and (hopefully) weighs information without prejudice. Yes, I know that's an ideal perspective but legitimate.

An example case of family emotion blinding them to reality is that of Kayelyn Louder. KL's family insisted she was not experiencing mental health issues prior to her disappearance and ultimate death, even in the face of undeniable evidence. The KL case remains unresolved as to why / how KL ended up in a river five miles from her home but it seemed obvious to many that something was going on with her. Her family insists there wasn't.

This is not to say something was going on with DJ; the point I'm making is it is not always best to rely on emotionally-involved people (family) for unbiased insight and untainted truth.

LE has a method to their madness, and the frustrations of an information-hungry public and even family should not override the professional aspects of a case (assuming competency and integrity are primary values in the organization).
Agreed, however; they have people out there searching. In my mind...emotions aside...how does it help the investigation in any way to have searches going on in an area that is completely off base? The only way all of this will make sense to me (not that any of us are entitled to making sense of it) is if down the road we find out there was foul play involved.

I do agree with where you're coming from though. An officers job is never easy, especially in a case like this that is getting a lot of attention in that area. I do hope that they know more than they are putting out there, and I do hope they continue to keep it close to their chest if that is what will help them find DJ.

bbm

Agreed, however; they have people out there searching. In my mind...emotions aside...how does it help the investigation in any way to have searches going on in an area that is completely off base? The only way all of this will make sense to me (not that any of us are entitled to making sense of it) is if down the road we find out there was foul play involved.

I do agree with where you're coming from though. An officers job is never easy, especially in a case like this that is getting a lot of attention in that area. I do hope that they know more than they are putting out there, and I do hope they continue to keep it close to their chest if that is what will help them find DJ.

Since no one seems to know where DJ is, is there really an "off base" area?

bbm

Since no one seems to know where DJ is, is there really an "off base" area?
If they know he was not seen on the bridge then what sense would it make to have searches based on him being seen there or vice versa? Likewise, if they have a video/photo of him definitely being there wouldn't it be "on base" to search based on that evidence? I would be surprised if they don't have more visuals of him than just those mentioned in the media...which would give them some idea of where to focus. So yes, I believe there is an "off base".

I find it interesting what the psychic offered.

The Commons is a square block on the Northside. 158 W Commons is about a block away from the Park Ave Apartments complex. 158 S Commons is just off Federal Street which would make it likely DJ crossed the Clemente Bridge.

I find it interesting what the psychic offered.

The Commons is a square block on the Northside. 158 W Commons is about a block away from the Park Ave Apartments complex. 158 S Commons is just off Federal Street which would make it likely DJ crossed the Clemente Bridge.
I have read post after post since this was first brought up on this thread. I cannot find this psychic's post on SM anywhere. Would like to see exactly what was said. I find it interesting...

I can't think of exact examples, I'm sorry. What I do remember happening several times with WPXI is they will report a story without checking facts. I live in Western PA and used to watch WPXI news.

I found DJ's sister commenting on the "Dakota James Search Party Pittsburgh" Facebook group page (post suggesting Texas Equu Search and Recovery, dated 2/12), "We had this search group onboard. It police told them no. PGH police think he did this to himself so they aren't pressured to do much. So heartbreaking for we the family."

WPXI is terrible! So many "alternate facts". I can't give any examples now either since I quit watching them in 2007 due to shoddy reporting. WTAE and KDKA are usually the best sources in our area.

I am wondering why if the river plays a significant part in his disappearance, why have they not searched downstream in the Ohio? The rivers had been running swiftly so if he had ended up there accidently or as a result of foul play, why would they not check the shorelines and dams of the Ohio River into West Virginia? It seems that LE may have reason to believe or evidence to suggest that what happened to Dakota had nothing to do with the river at all. I don't know, but the whole situation and footage surrounding his disappearance seems to be inconsistent (ie. time stamps, video footage, release of relevant information etc.). His poor family has been through so much. The amount of frustration and pain they have had to deal with seems overwhelming.

I am wondering why if the river plays a significant part in his disappearance, why have they not searched downstream in the Ohio? The rivers had been running swiftly so if he had ended up there accidently or as a result of foul play, why would they not check the shorelines and dams of the Ohio River into West Virginia? It seems that LE may have reason to believe or evidence to suggest that what happened to Dakota had nothing to do with the river at all. I don't know, but the whole situation and footage surrounding his disappearance seems to be inconsistent (ie. time stamps, video footage, release of relevant information etc.). His poor family has been through so much. The amount of frustration and pain they have had to deal with seems overwhelming.
I have wondered the same thing many times. Unfortunatley, I believe the same things were happening when Paul Kochu was missing as well. I don't believe they searched down river then either. I'll have to research that to make sure.

I have wondered the same thing many times. Unfortunatley, I believe the same things were happening when Paul Kochu was missing as well. I don't believe they searched down river then either. I'll have to research that to make sure.

Is it a jurisdiction issue perhaps? I have also wondered this.

bbm

I'm curious. Examples?

ChuckMaureen - I have no personal opinion on WPXI, as I'm just a bit out of their coverage area. But I wanted to pull this post of yours forward, as you pointed out an example of their questionable reporting. It's something that personally always bugs me. New information is released and rather than properly editing a prior article to assure only updated info is included, they just toss the new info at the beginning of the old article without regard to the accuracy of previously written portions of the article.

What the heck?

http://www.wpxi.com/news/pittsburgh...nce-video-of-missing-north-side-man/490995274

This article shows the image where DJ is walking alone through Katz Plaza at reported time-stamp of 11:46 PM.

The article then reports DJ was seen on video with a co-worker (who left in an Uber) in front of the Wood Street T station time-stamped at 11:49 PM.

One or both of those times are wrong...

...frickin' media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads