Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go on record and be one who does not think these are "connected" (i.e., serial killer, or smiley face) but are instead coincidences. As someone who studies coincidences, this is oddly fascinating and helpful. Hard to explain, but it is...

Very very sad for Dakota and all those who knew and loved him. This is just heartbreaking no matter how much closure it offers.

ETA: I am not positing the idea that DJ was not killed in some way, simply that there is no connection to the others, nor those deaths to his.

Robinson police stated that his clothes were intact. Blue Columbia jacket, red hoodie, blue jeans, cell phone, cash, and wallet.

This made it quick to ID him. At least family did not have to wait. The suspense would be terrible if they had to. I am glad that it is over for them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am now convinced that he went down there for some reason and accidentally fell in. Swimming in open water is much different than swimming in a pool. Add alcohol, clothing weighing you down and darkness and you have a bad situation.

I am now convinced that he went down there for some reason and accidentally fell in. Swimming in open water is much different than swimming in a pool. Add alcohol, clothing weighing you down and darkness and you have a bad situation.
Totally disagree. After speaking to his brother at one of the searches the likelihood of DJ going down to the rivers edge to relieve himself is slim to none. Brother says DJ would have gone in the alley or on the bridge itself. I am now convinced something sinister happened. He didn't put himself in the river. I think he was put in a car, killed and dumped in the river.
This made it quick to ID him. At least family did not have to wait. The suspense would be terrible if they had to. I am glad that it is over for them...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He didn't put himself in the river. I think he was put in a car, killed and dumped in the river.

Snipped by me. What might the motive have been? Your theory is very specific so I am wondering if you have a specific motive as well? Constructive discussion is a good thing even if we disagree so please know that I am asking this in good faith and am not at all trying to discourage your line of thinking. We just don't know yet.

Some people kill just to kill. I'm not sure there has to be a motive outside of that. Some just do it because they can.

I'll go on record and be one who does not think these are "connected" (i.e., serial killer, or smiley face) but are instead coincidences. As someone who studies coincidences, this is oddly fascinating and helpful. Hard to explain, but it is...

Very very sad for Dakota and all those who knew and loved him. This is just heartbreaking no matter how much closure it offers.

ETA: I am not positing the idea that DJ was not killed in some way, simply that there is no connection to the others, nor those deaths to his.

I agree with you. North Shore, Downtown, South side are all locations that have venues that would attract young, college age men. The rivers are close to large sections of the area. I think the river is an "easy dumping ground" to try and conceal a crime. The four or five white men that have disappeared in the last few years and have made it on the news are hardly the only ones. Family member was thrown into a river after a crime was committed back in 1997, so the last few years aren't the only time this has occurred, either.

Do I think there is a killer? Yes, probably someone met on Grinder/similar app. Wouldn't be surprised if it is accidental as well. Just can't buy into the "someone is throwing our young white men into the river" line of thinking, especially with limited evidence.

On the banks of the Mississippi River where it is at its widest point and where the currents are deadly, millions of drunks from all over the world dance, party, stumble and play every year. RARELY does anyone FALL into the river and drown - RARELY.

Pittsburgh has MANY young gay men who are last seen at bars drowning in the river. These aren't accidents, you folks have a serial killer preying on young gay men and you need to address this ASAP.

On the banks of the Mississippi River where it is at its widest point and where the currents are deadly, millions of drunks from all over the world dance, party, stumble and play every year. RARELY does anyone FALL into the river and drown - RARELY.

Pittsburgh has MANY young gay men who are last seen at bars drowning in the river. These aren't accidents, you folks have a serial killer preying on young gay men and you need to address this ASAP.

Who are the others?

Snipped by me. What might the motive have been? Your theory is very specific so I am wondering if you have a specific motive as well? Constructive discussion is a good thing even if we disagree so please know that I am asking this in good faith and am not at all trying to discourage your line of thinking. We just don't know yet.
Call it my uneducated gut feeling. People don't just vanish in an open public setting. No one saw him on the bridge? No camera picked him up walking down those steps? He is seen walking in Katz then his shoes appear in another video, then nothing. Something happened to him after his shoes were seen. Not only are the cameras on the bridge, but many businesses have cameras pointed so the bridge is visable...still nothing? In this day and age? Unbelievable. Nothing, not a trace. Per his mother DJ although small in stature, was in exceptional shape. He was a runner/jogger, swimmer, walked most places. Healthy eater, etc. I agree with another post here that if he was conscious when he "fell" into the water adrenaline would kick in once that cold water hit him. By looking at the picture in Katz Plaza, DJ looked stable. His gait was strong and he was coordinated. Doesn't appear to be inebriated. If inebriated I may feel differently. But he is even texting.
Therefore, in my opinion the only scenario left to explore is that DJ was removed from that location. How could that happen? Only by vehicle. I can't see any other way. I've paid close attention to family and friends comments about DJ. This wasn't just some party hard grad student. He had a life plan.

This is how I came to this conclusion. I realize it's not factbased yet. I am very interested in what unfolds in the days/weeks to come.
I also believe this case is related to others. I know some here do not agree, but to me there are too many similarities.

Call it my uneducated gut feeling. People don't just vanish in an open public setting. No one saw him on the bridge? No camera picked him up walking down those steps? He is seen walking in Katz then his shoes appear in another video, then nothing. Something happened to him after his shoes were seen. Not only are the cameras on the bridge, but many businesses have cameras pointed so the bridge is visable...still nothing? In this day and age? Unbelievable. Nothing, not a trace. Per his mother DJ although small in stature, was in exceptional shape. He was a runner/jogger, swimmer, walked most places. Healthy eater, etc. I agree with another post here that if he was conscious when he "fell" into the water adrenaline would kick in once that cold water hit him. By looking at the picture in Katz Plaza, DJ looked stable. His gait was strong and he was coordinated. Doesn't appear to be inebriated. If inebriated I may feel differently. But he is even texting.
Therefore, in my opinion the only scenario left to explore is that DJ was removed from that location. How could that happen? Only by vehicle. I can't see any other way. I've paid close attention to family and friends comments about DJ. This wasn't just some party hard grad student. He had a life plan.

This is how I came to this conclusion. I realize it's not factbased yet. I am very interested in what unfolds in the days/weeks to come.
I also believe this case is related to others. I know some here do not agree, but to me there are too many similarities.

I agree with every word you said.

I can't imagine why anyone would go down to the river, it is winter in Pittsburgh, even though the temps have been moderate, it is still COLD. No one would go down there, it's dark, and a crazy idea at midnight (even on a warm night). I have to agree with his mom, he did not look that drunk. To be walking and texting or on the phone, if you are that intoxicated you cannot multi task like that. No, this has something to do with one of those hookup apps, there is something more sinister behind these young men disappearing and ending up in the water.

RIP Dakota!

I was always pretty sure he's in the river. Seen it too often here.

At least his family and friends can stop wondering and worrying now, and start grieving and remembering him.

Bottom line...if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. If this gets chalked up as another "accidental" fall into the river, the investigators are dropping the ball big time.

Bottom line...if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. If this gets chalked up as another "accidental" fall into the river, the investigators are dropping the ball big time.
Truth.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but your logic is flawed. His brother saying what he thinks DJ would have done doesn't make it true. He wasn't there, doesn't know what condition he was in, etc. His brother is simply looking at the best case scenario. It's a heartbreaking situation.

Agree. Just some thoughts -- news agencies are repeatedly pointing out that he's gay, but fail to discuss what it means for the case. As a gay man, I think I can provide a little more insight into the impacts it might have on the case. If he was out with a friend, whether he was inebriated or not, but was later seen alone attached to his phone at night, it makes me think he was looking to meet up with someone on Grindr. The hook-up culture disguises the utter creepiness of the men on apps like that. If you're insinuating that he was removed, it could just be someone picked him up from an off-camera location for a Grindr hook-up. His texting on the footage can easily be talking on Grindr or with his hook-up on a different app like Kik. I've been around the gay-app block so many times. It's upsetting that they keep discussing his sexuality in the head/taglines yet fail to mention the danger of using apps like those.

To be honest, the steps from the bridge down to the river aren't the best. They are steep, narrow stair treads (can't think of the word), and wonky in parts. It's not easy going down them during the day when sober. I couldn't even imagine at night when slightly drunk. Honestly, it wouldn't seem so far fetched if he was walking down them on the inside part, lost his balance either going around the turn or after starting down the second part, stumbled over to the left side and fell over. If that were to happen, there'd even be a chance of hitting his head on concrete before entering the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974