Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree w you both but as the parent of a 20something I do know they are way more open about it than I ever was w my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know far more people who hide or did hide their drug use from their parents than who did not.
the only ones that didn't hide it are the ones that couldn't because the use was substantial and changed their lifestyles (i.e. it wasn't just taken at parties sometimes)

I wanted to say also that I think a study needs to be done on the River Walk....Engineers hired... The river's here in Pittsburgh have a swift current. The river edge drops off quickly in many places where the walk is very close. We have bad weather here. It gets icy!!!! We have a lot of young people in Pittsburgh....It is a college town. Maybe something needs to be done with the River Walk.

Engineers need to move the Walk a further distance from the water...and no access to climb down close to water under bridges.

Totally, totally agree. I was afraid walking along there during daylight hours. Iciness. Wind. No barriers. 😱

On another topic, I wonder if the family has results that are perhaps allowing them to accept things more. I detect less anger in the mom's fb posts. Just my opinion.

Perhaps it's not a matter of acceptance of anything. Many are speculating here. Perhaps mom is just trying to peacefully say goodbye to her child.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Perhaps it's not a matter of acceptance of anything. Many are speculating here. Perhaps mom is just trying to peacefully say goodbye to her child.

Exactly!! ❤

I wanted to say also that I think a study needs to be done on the River Walk....Engineers hired... The river's here in Pittsburgh have a swift current. The river edge drops off quickly in many places where the walk is very close. We have bad weather here. It gets icy!!!! We have a lot of young people in Pittsburgh....It is a college town. Maybe something needs to be done with the River Walk.

Engineers need to move the Walk a further distance from the water...and no access to climb down close to water under bridges.

I think that is a good idea. Why can't they just put a fence at areas that are dangerous. What do people do at the river anyway? Fishing or swimming? Or is it just a city built with a river running through it as some nice scenery? No problem placing safety fencing around it then IMO. If it saves someone else's life why not.

I agree, and my heart goes out to DJ's mom, as i know what it's like to lose a young and healthy adult son suddenly. It is the worst thing a parent has to go through. She will have questions for sure and i wish her peace in trying to find answers for her son.

I think that is a good idea. Why can't they just put a fence at areas that are dangerous. What do people do at the river anyway? Fishing or swimming? Or is it just a city built with a river running through it as some nice scenery? No problem placing safety fencing around it then IMO. If it saves someone else's life why not.

Kayak, bike, run, walk, fish, boat, etc. There are some races and the swim portion of the Pittsburgh triathlon starts at the river there too.

It's especially nice near the ballpark. It's lovely to just walk along the river and take in the view.

And there's Point State Park. Another great spot to hang out.

I was born and raised in Pgh. I'm not saying there aren't accidents. But people are not just falling into the river and drowning.

I was just wondering about that. How many people drown after falling in? So far all I can find are numbers that include other rivers (like the Youghiogheny). Most of them are boating accidents and people not wearing life jackets. The average is 13 - 17.

Here is an article that states about what i had mentioned earlier. It is called "Dry drowning".
(quote)
Occasionally a condition called 'dry drowning' may present itself; this is where the deceased's larynx has gone into spasm as water has entered the throat, thus the passage to the lungs is blocked and any water that is already in there cannot get out and more water cannot get in.
http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/drowning.html

This part from the same article was interesting as well
(quote)
Drowning and Crime
Drowning is difficult to prove beyond the accidental death stage simply because of the nature in which it happens. Proving that an unknown assailant in some way aided the death of another by drowning is difficult to establish and can usually only be established if there are physical wounds such as cuts or bruises or indeed if an eye witness has saw the event take place.

Kayak, bike, run, walk, fish, boat, etc. There are some races and the swim portion of the Pittsburgh triathlon starts at the river there too.

It's especially nice near the ballpark. It's lovely to just walk along the river and take in the view.

And there's Point State Park. Another great spot to hang out.

Sounds nice & thankyou for describing it.

Here is an article that states about what i had mentioned earlier. It is called "Dry drowning".
(quote)
Occasionally a condition called 'dry drowning' may present itself; this is where the deceased's larynx has gone into spasm as water has entered the throat, thus the passage to the lungs is blocked and any water that is already in there cannot get out and more water cannot get in.
http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/drowning.html

I wonder tho , if this does not apply to someone who has been submerged for time especially in a moving river.

I wonder if this is like if someone fell in a pool and were yanked out in 10 minutes yet still drown.

After death it would seem the larynx would open ........

How far was it where he was found and suspected to enter?

Dead Man's Float

At first, not all parts of the body inflate the same amount: The torso, which contains the most bacteria, bloats more than the head and limbs. The most buoyant body parts rise first, leaving the head and limbs to drag behind the chest and abdomen. Since arms, legs, and the head can only drape forward from the body, corpses tend to rotate such that the torso floats facedown, with arms and legs hanging beneath it.

if a body stays on the surface of the water for a long time it will release the built-up gas and sink once again. Decomposition continues underwater—more gas accumulates—and the body may become what rescue workers sometimes call a "refloat." Since refloats are at a more advanced state of decay, they may be more evenly bloated and thus more likely to float faceup.

alls in face-first might remain on the surface, since there would be no way for the air inside the lungs to escape. (A faceup corpse would fill with water and sink in the normal fashion.)

best evidence indicates that a body will go to the bottom regardless of how deep the water may be, unless it meets with some obstruction or upward current which tends to prevent it. As a body sinks into deep water, the pressure of the water tends to compress gasses in the abdominal and chest cavities with the result that the body displaces less water as it sinks deeper and consequently becomes less and less buoyant, the further down it goes.

When a body is fully distended it is almost impossible to sink even with counter weights.

When a drowning occurs in a river, the most common mistake is to search for the body too far downstream. Sinking takes place immediately, which results in the victim reaching the bottom close to the point he was last seen on the surface. When the body begins to rise, it will appear on the surface not far from where it disappeared. If drowning takes place when a river is swollen, the supposition is that the rapid current will carry a body along before it strikes the bottom or encounters an obstruction. The fact is that the current on the surface is entirely different from the current on the bottom. While the speed on the surface may be 10 knots, current speed will decrease with depth.

The victim then inhales again, this time aspirating water into the lungs before a fresh spasm closes the trachea again but for a shorter duration. With each successive inhalation, more water is aspirated; anoxia increases, and laryngospasm duration decreases until they are finally abolished and the lungs are filled with water. I

http://www.operationtakemehome.org/sar/Fire and Rescue Personnel/Biology of drowning.pdf

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/09/dead_mans_float.html

Some blood resulting from the tearing of lung tissue by forceful breathing just prior to unconsciousness may exist with it.

If death occurred on land, a noticeable horizontal line should exist on the eyeball if, as is common, the eyelids remained partially open, thereby allowing exposure to air and its drying effects. The line, or border, between the clear and cloudy cornea--the raised, usually clear area of the eyeball covering the pupil and iris--and the white and discolored sclera--the opaque, normally white portion--will occur only in these instances.

Conversely, if the victim drowned and is submerged in water at the time of death, then the eyes will retain a lifelike, glistening appearance. No lines will be present.

She saw an ear

Any person who has died on land and remained in a terrestrial environment during the onset of rigor mortis will display a different posture. The head likely will be rotated to one side, a position almost never found in a drowning victim

Interesting

These arm and hand positions are much less pronounced or not present at all in victims who drowned while intoxicated because these individuals generally do not struggle, but simply disappear below the surface of the water.

Legitimate postmortem injuries can occur to a body, especially around the head, face, knees, tops of the feet, and backs of the hands, although investigators should take care not to confuse these with defense wounds

in most instances, corpses refloat facedown, so those that occur after death nearly always will be to the back and shoulders, back of the head, or buttocks.

No morphologic findings diagnostic of drowning exist. Although an autopsy usually is not sufficient by itself, it can exclude other possible causes of death.

One has to wonder how many of those 'accidents' are more than they appear?

Homicidal drowning is almost impossible to prove by an autopsy. Drowning is a diagnosis of exclusion.

drowning in a river or the ocean where samples of the water in the lungs can be tested for salt or other contaminates
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] to determine where the drowning took place

... may find swelling in the brain
andhemorrhaging in the petrous or mastoid bones. Authorities also may encounter these symptoms in people who died of heart disease, abuse of substances, or other causes. Thus, the drug overdose victim dumped in a lake and the heart attack victim collapsing into the water can have the washerwoman and goose flesh appearance, pulmonary edema, and hemorrhage into the petrous and mastoid bones. This demonstrates for investigators the importance of gathering other information to assist medical examiners in determining the proper cause of death when drowning is suspected

possibility exists that the resultant postmortem blood alcohol analysis may measure as much as 30 percent less than before death.

Officers need to be aware of the unique nature of these incidents. Investigators should not assume that an autopsy will
establishcause of death; they need to ascertain as much information as possible at the scene. Then, they must provide these important details to the coroner.

The investigator's role in a drowning investigation is crucial to a medical examiner in establishing an accurate cause of death. The officer must treat a drowning like any other death investigation and help to make sure it is conducted thoroughly and professionally.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Drowning+investigations.-a0143342211

[FONT=&amp] Weird cut and post below !

................hard to diagnose a drowning based on the circumstances of the death alone. People sometimes die of other causes, such as a drug overdose, heart attack, or epileptic seizure, then fall into water. Also, people can dispose of already dead bodies in water, making it difficult to know how the person actually died. Occasionally, there are suicides by drowning as well.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The diagnosis of drowning is based more on the circumstances of the death than on tests. A complete [/FONT]autopsy[FONT=&amp] is done, and if the person is found in water and no other causes of death are discovered, the examiner [/FONT][FONT=&amp]presumes [/FONT][FONT=&amp]the victim has drowned.[/FONT]M icroscopy (particularly of the lungs) in the diagnosis of drowning Wwjhas been described as yielding ‘nothing conclusive’(Giertsen 2000) and is ‘unreliable’

Drowning without evidence of liquid aspiration (‘dry drowning’) has been reported in up to 15% of cases, although in a series of 578 adults presumed to have drowned (Lunetta et al 2004), only 1.4% had lungs of ‘normal weight’ and no macroscopic signs of over-inflation.

Despite evidence that alcohol is frequently found in the blood of adult drowning victims (Howland and Hingson 1988, Quan and Cummings 2003, Wintermute et al 1990), a causative role between alcohol and drowning has not been proven.

strongest association between drowning and alcohol was inrelation to ‘fall-related’ cases (82.8%)

is not always possible, due to the effects of immersion, confidently to determine whether all or some of the injuries present are ante/
periorpostmortem in origin

disposal of bodies in water
iswellrecognised
following homicide (Copeland 1986).

Read more:
http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/pathology/bodies-recovered-from-water/

http://www.relentlessdefense.com/forensics/drowning/

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

I'm not familiar with toxicology reports so my question is can they tell the exact levels in a toxicology report after 6 weeks? Sorry just not to familiar with toxicology reports.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back