PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not if you want to claim a $10 K reward, and this was innocent.

It is less likely that RFG was in Lewisburg on 4/16 than on 4/15, but it is still likely.
That would depend on the person and what $10K was worth to them. Someone with a troubled background who might envision a dead body showing up? Not everyone would risk it for $10K or maybe a lot more. A completely innocent person, unable to see the possibility and with an eye on the cash would certainly go for the money. But not everyone. Plus, if that was the way it went down, the note passer certainly does not have to be innocent.

So I thought they actually located the woman. They did not reveal any info about her, but they know who she is and there is no connection...did this come from the podcast? I thought he slammed the door of his office ( angry) ???
I thought his car was seen at a rock quarry...am I hallucinating? were there not zero prints except a partial on the steering wheel suggesting a wipe down of the car ?
No, they thought it was Barbara Petito, initially, but it wasn't her.

JKA described it as "forceful door closing," but not based in anger.

Someone claimed the saw RFG with a boy at about 8:30 AM near a quarry. He was at home at the time.

There were partial prints in the car, which show that the car was not wiped.

What would the benefit of an informant be to a prosecutor? He doesn't build the cases, LE does. He simply decides whether to bring charges and then proves his case in court. He couldn't suddenly file charges against a person or entity with no investigation.

Similarly, he doesn't work for the defense, so someone presenting an alternative theory of a crime would hold no interest to him (or worth to them).

Even if, and I'm totally speculating here, the cops investigating a certain case were corrupt, Gricar wouldn't be much of a help. He's not going to hold some outsize sway within LE.

And certainly destroying his means of logging evidence and staging a relaxing/romantic vacation don't really jive with meeting an informant.

My opinion is if some criminal enterprise wanted to kill him, it would have been far easier to find a place for a quick drive by shooting than luring him to another location. And there would have to be a reason for Ray to cover his tracks so well for this trip.

My opinion is if some criminal enterprise wanted to kill him, it would have been far easier to find a place for a quick drive by shooting than luring him to another location. And there would have to be a reason for Ray to cover his tracks so well for this trip.

One of the things that people familiar with gangs, especially motorcycle gangs, has said is that they would left the body, as a warning. In every other case we have seen, including some with gang activities, the body is left.

In part, for that reason, I question if this was some type of organized activity. The killer could have gotten a UPS uniform and gone to his front door on the morning of 4/15, and then killed RFG when he opened the door. They could have just waited until he exited the house and killed him.

That said, I still give foul play a 26% chance. Most of that, however, involves him meeting some unknown woman.

That said, I still give foul play a 26% chance. Most of that, however, involves him meeting some unknown woman.
Is the other 74% evenly divided between walking away and misadventure (heart attack, accident, murder) with another woman? Doesn't the "other woman" possibility weaken with the sightings of him alone the next day?

Is the other 74% evenly divided between walking away and misadventure (heart attack, accident, murder) with another woman? Doesn't the "other woman" possibility weaken with the sightings of him alone the next day?
My current one, update on 4/15/23.

Walkaway: 71%
Suicide: 2%
Foul Play: 26%
Something Else: 1%

Foul play would include Abuse of Corpse.

Something else would be an accident or amnesia or something like that.

Since I have mentioned the possibility, here is the statute for Abuse of Corpse: 2021 Pennsylvania Consolidated & Unconsolidated Statutes :: Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: Chapter 55 - Riot, Disorderly Conduct and Related Offenses :: Section 5510 - Abuse of corpse It is often charge when people dump the body of a friend that dies of overdose and happened just outside of Pittsburgh in April of this year.

I do not believe "Concealing the Death of Another" was a crime in PA in 2005, and may not be currently.

Is Knight's podcast finished? Hasn't been an update there in a long time.
She posted on facebook in April that the remaining episodes would be released in “a few weeks.” It’s been 8 months since then. Hopefully she finishes it. I’m curious about the death threat she received. By the context of how she mentioned the death threat, it was apparent she was threatened because of the podcast.

Good observation as it relates to biker gangs or drug rings doing it in house. A professional hit by hired gun however, could have involved a woman luring him to L burg, then a professional accomplice taking care of the dirty work and disposal.

Doesn't the "other woman" possibility weaken with the sightings of him alone the next day?
I just wanted to address the last line; it is snipped for emphasis only.

Not tremendously. RFG was seen in the SoS by three people between 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM on 4/16/05. It could have been that they all saw him within a few minutes of each other. The woman could have dropped him off so that he could check the Mini and he popped into the SoS to wait for her to return. She could have buying something in a store (e.g. a gift for RFG) or could have been in the restroom when all three witnesses saw him. Even assuming that the witnesses were right, it does not weaken the "other woman" possibility very much.

I don't get the sightings on April 16th, the day after he was reported missing. He told Patty he was headed to Lewisburg and was known to antique shop. IF he was walking away or having an affair, he had to of known that there was the chance of him being reported missing..leading to LE and family looking for him in the Lewisburg area.
Why take that chance?
Also, if having an affair..if he was seen on the 16th, that meant that he probably spent the night with the other woman. What excuse was he going to give Patty for not coming home? A mistress isn't jiving with me. IMO

I just wanted to address the last line; it is snipped for emphasis only.

Not tremendously. RFG was seen in the SoS by three people between 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM on 4/16/05. It could have been that they all saw him within a few minutes of each other. The woman could have dropped him off so that he could check the Mini and he popped into the SoS to wait for her to return. She could have buying something in a store (e.g. a gift for RFG) or could have been in the restroom when all three witnesses saw him. Even assuming that the witnesses were right, it does not weaken the "other woman" possibility very much.

Don't forget the women who worked at the historic home on the corner, who saw him pacing in Soldiers Park across the street, while talking on a cell phone. At that time, his car was parked on Market St, in front of their museum.

My impression from witnesses and the timeline is that he spent some time there alone while waiting for the "mystery woman" to arrive.

So this mystery woman, if true, was important enough for Ray not to return home or at least text or call Patty to say he was ok...
What would be keeping him in the Lewisburg area ? If up to "no good," why would Ray tell Patty exactly where he was headed......why not lie about your destination?
Apparently, she was not a threat at the time..he was able to be left alone with a cell phone on the 16th.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator
Back