Deceased/Not Found PA - Elizabeth “Beth” Capaldi, 55, last seen by husband, phone & car left behind, Sellersville, Bucks Co, 10 Oct 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How horrific. I always wonder how on earth people think they will get away with not only murder, but dismemberment. Not to be graphic, but that’s a pretty hard thing to hide the aftermath of. Not to mention just the act of going through with it — surely it would take some kind of psychological toll to do that to your WIFE??? The mother of your child??? Poor Emma. I cannot imagine. She just lost both parents in the most unspeakable way.

Makes me glad I’m single. My cat would never do this to me.

How horrific. I always wonder how on earth people think they will get away with not only murder, but dismemberment. Not to be graphic, but that’s a pretty hard thing to hide the aftermath of. Not to mention just the act of going through with it — surely it would take some kind of psychological toll to do that to your WIFE??? The mother of your child??? Poor Emma. I cannot imagine. She just lost both parents in the most unspeakable way.

Makes me glad I’m single. My cat would never do this to me.

According to the reports released today by the DA's office, we now have a murder by the husband, and dismemberment of the victim's body in the basement of the couple's residence.

Knowing the victim was missing for more than 2 months, it's still not clear whether or not authorities obtained search warrants to conduct a forensic investigation of the basement for evidence that the victim was deceased and that the murder happened inside her home.

Instead, we learned that during the questioning of the defendant on 12/8, he provided LE with his confession that he killed his wife in their bed and dismembered her body in the basement.

I'm reminded of the 2021 Wisconsin murders and dismemberment of Bart and Krista Halderson by their son, Chandler. Similar to this case, we learned very little at trial about the forensic evidence LE recovered from the dismemberment location inside the family home.

Accordingly, I've concluded that dismembering an adult does not exactly generate a blood bath as most tend to think (i.e., hide the aftermath), and therefore no immediate proof of how the victim could not survive the loss of blood that was evidenced at the crime scene.

In fact, an adult only has approx 1.2 - 1.5 gals of blood (10 units) in their entire body. And considering the properties of human blood including separation and coagulation, it seems to me it's more the volume or lack of here than it is the defendant doing a good job cleaning up the aftermath. JMO.

Good Grief! How twisted does one have to be to smother their life partner in their own bed and then ... dismember them!!
Godspeed Beth, prayers for all who loved you, especially your treasured daughter. I hope she gets all the love and support she needs to move on and have the wonderful life she deserves. Moo

Not to mention just the act of going through with it — surely it would take some kind of psychological toll to do that to your WIFE???
Oh, make no mistake, these evil psychopaths don't think like the rest of us. There's no psychological toll to them in dismembering people. It's just a job to be done, a bit like mowing the lawn.

Oh, make no mistake, these evil psychopaths don't think like the rest of us. There's no psychological toll to them in dismembering people. It's just a job to be done, a bit like mowing the lawn.
I think he wanted to be that psycho who could compartmentalize but it turned out he couldn't hack it. Too many comic books.

Can it be considered a crime of passion or a heat of the moment kind of thing when he killed her while she was asleep?

^^ I was about to say the same thing. ^^

I guess I could see it being a heat of the moment thing (sort of) if they were laying in bed and arguing, for some reason a switch flips and he strangles her. ** But ** that’s not as he described it according to the court documents.

(Edited to remove double quote)

Last edited:
I take back what I said about (MOO) unplanned.

I wonder how the gf feels, knowing what he did to his wife, with his bare hands.

Barbaric.

JMO
I really, really hope she's not supporting him in any way. If he'd do it to Beth he'd do it to any woman who was inconvenient to him and getting in the way of his grand plans.

TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE

15TH. DECEMBER.

DA - I'm here to report that the Beth Capaldi missing person case has now been charged as a homicide. First, I'd like to give you a timeline of important events. On Oct. 10th of this year, 57 yr. old, Stephen Capaldi, murdered his wife of 30 yrs., 55 yr. old, Elizabeth 'Beth' Capaldi, in their Sellersville home. On the 11th., the next day, he dismembered her. On the 12th., Beth Capaldi was reported missing by her daughter after her family, uncharacteristically, hadn't heard from her for two days. That same day, our investigation began. Also, on that same day, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, who is now charged with his wife's murder, disposed of her partial remains in a dumpster in Montgomery County. On Nov. 5th., Stephen Capaldi buried part of the victim's remains along the Delaware River shoreline at Hog Island in Tinicum in Delaware County. On Dec. 8th., the defendant appeared before the Bucks County investigating grand jury. He testified. He took a polygraph and he was then interviewed by us. As part of a counselled proffer agreement, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, was arrested, charged and arraigned for murdering his wife, Beth Capaldi, and for offences related to its cover up. The defendant is in Bucks County Prison on a no bail status for his murder of his wife. It is anticipated, by me, that he will plead guilty to these offences and be sentenced to 20-40 years in prison. The earliest that he will be eligible for parole, under the terms of this agreement, will be when he is 77 yrs. old.

On Dec. 9th, the defendant was transported by law enforcement, some of which you see arrayed behind me here, to the Hog Island burial site, where he led law enforcement, voluntarily, to where he believed he had buried his wife's remains. Pennsylvania State Police Trooper, Joe Carlston and his K9 cadaver dog, Jack, were there to help locate Capaldi's remains and, in fact, did so. Delaware County Detectives and Tinicum Township Police Department were also mobilised with very little notice, on many occasions, to assist in this recovery. Because this was of paramount importance, not only to us, but as you can imagine, to Beth Capaldi's family. On Dec. 12th., (??) Township Police Department, at our request, used rapid hits DNA testing of the recovered remains to identify Beth Capaldi and conclusively indicate that the remains that we found at that Hog Island site were hers.

I'd like to give additional thanks. This resolution, which is very, very swift in an unsolved murder case, was only possible after extensive law enforcement investigation, multijurisdictional cooperation and the utilisation of state-of-the-art investigative techniques. I would be remiss if I didn't give special thanks to the Bucks County Grand Jury, who is comprised of Bucks County's own citizens. They took testimony in this case, which put extreme pressure on the defendant. Thus, making it the viable homicide prosecution that it became and that it is currently today. I'd like to particularly recognise Bucks County analyst TC, who works out of the regional computer forensic lab. He downloaded the phones that were used in this case and discovered key evidence that we would have missed on our own equipment, as sophisticated as it may be, and I daresay without his help, the defendant might not be in custody for his wife's murder today.

I think it's very important to everybody to understand the principles and the goals that I considered in support of my negotiations with the defendant. Anytime that we undertake a negotiation of this magnitude, in which, literally, lives are at stake, the buck stops here. I want you all to understand that I did so while having engaged with Beth Capaldi's family. And, they are understanding and accepting of the agreement that we've made in this case. In speaking on their behalf, they'd first like to let everybody know, all the members of the public that they give thanks to you all, for your never ending support, from the minute that we reported Beth Capaldi's missing status on Oct. 26th., until today and, I'm sure, ongoing throughout this process. But, second, Beth Capaldi's family does not wish to make any public comment and wish to mourn privately, and would really appreciate it if you would respect their wishes.

The principles and goals that I focused on, in making this negotiation, with the defendant - First was to find Beth Capaldi alive, if possible. If you recall, on Oct. 26th., I said that we hold on to hope as long as there's room for hope. Sadly, and I am so sorry that this was not possible in this case. Her family and I and every member of law enforcement who are right here and all that participated in this recovery were devastated by this news. This goes without saying, but I think it's important for the public to understand that if I had some magic time machine and I could turn back the clock to prior to Beth Capaldi's murder, I would do so every time, but that's just not how our universe works. So secondly, and this is always second - To bring Beth Capaldi back to her family and to bring her killer to justice. We continue, to this day, for our job is not over, to pursue both of these goals. We will continue with our investigation and yes to look for Beth Capaldi's remains until it is no longer feasible to do so. But, this negotiated resolution will now allow Beth Capaldi's family to grieve on their own terms, knowing that we did all we could do to find her and, ultimately, to bring her home and free of the whims and the timing of the criminal justice system and the endless appeals that it affords its defendants. In a word, closure. Hopefully soon, Beth Capaldi will rest in peace and her family can find peace as well. That's all that I have to say in my remarks. I'm guessing you have questions and I will try to answer them if I can.

Reporter - The motives that I've been hearing is that Stephen had a woman that he was having an affair with. I'm wondering if you guys' are looking into that?. And, if there's anybody else that could potentially face charges for assisting him, in any of this, at all?.

DA - I think it's a fair question. Motive is often an elusive thing to pin down. We do have some theories. I think that would be an oversimplification, although that certainly would be a part of the apparent motivation for Stephen Capaldi, but only he really knows. Perhaps, someday, when he when he pleads guilty, he will reveal that to us. But, we are not yet satisfied that we know of the motive. To answer the second part of your question. As I said, the investigation is ongoing. What I would assure the public is that we here, in law enforcement, are convinced that Stephen Capaldi was solely responsible for his wife's murder, but the investigation is ongoing because there are still plenty of loose ends to wrap up, and we share the same interests and concerns that perhaps the public does, but I would like to reassure the public that it is safe and Stephen Capaldi is responsible for his wife's murder.

Reporter - Just as a follow up. You said 'could be part of the motive' - Is it because you are aware that he did have a mistress or someone he was having an affair with?.

DA - As I understand it, the Grand Jury issued a report in this matter. It was an extraordinary circumstance in which we got permission from the Judge to go outside the Grand Jury process because of a danger to Mr. Capaldi and we felt a danger to the community, but as a result, today, the Grand Jury issued a report and in that report they do indicate that Stephen Capaldi had a mistress. And, that document will be made available to the public and through the media.

Reporter - Can you talk a little bit about.. you mentioned something about phone conversations and you might not have gotten them readily if it.. Can you elaborate on that a little bit more?. What were the conversations and how did you get them?.

DA - Well, as you know, technology is quite sophisticated and oftentimes the technology advances quicker even than routine law enforcement could keep up with it. So, we had to take extraordinary measures and take the phones that we recovered down to the RCFL, which is located in Delaware County and we have somebody embedded with them, TG, and he dropped every other case that he was working on and he was able to crack those phones open and extract information, that not only had been stored on there originally, but that had been erased and deleted and, I believe, intentionally. That information was vital to us to establish Stephen Capaldi as, not only a person of interest, but our only suspect and, now, defendant in his wife's murder.

Reporter - I know this is part of the judicial process and you might not be able to answer this question, but - Is there a distinction of why you chose to charge him with 3rd degree murder and not 1st degree?. Is that because of the negotiated deal?.

DA - Absolutely, yes. If you know, we here, and this is a bittersweet thing, but we here in Bucks County, we are very, very aggressive in trying to locate people that are missing and unfortunately, in this case, as well in others, have met their demise, that have been murdered. And, it's a value judgement on my part, but one that I made in consultation with the family and one that I don't regret. And, that is that in order to locate Beth Capaldi and bring her home, we have to make a bargain. And, in this case, the bargain that Stephen Capaldi chose to strike, with us, was to cooperate and tell us where.. and frankly tell us and show us where Beth Capaldi was left, in exchange for a plea to a reduced charge of murder.

Reporter - What can you tell us about what you extracted from the phones?.

DA - You will see a lot of that in the report. I don't have that, in particular, right here.

Reporter - Do you know where in Montgomery County, he disposed of her remains?. Are you able to track that, where that went?.

DA - It was, according to Mr. Capaldi, it was a dumpster in Lansdale in an apartment complex. We did track that dumpster, which had, obviously, been emptied several months ago to a landfill, and that has proven to be an insurmountable challenge for us. Those recovery results, insurmountable challenge for us, but we continue to pursue leads on recovering additional remains of Beth Capaldi to bring her home to her family.

Reporter - How many search warrants were issued in regards to her remains?. You did Tinicum, Sellersville and Montgomery?.

DA - I couldn't say how many search warrants, but I can say that we have searched in, at least, three distinct locations for Miss Capaldi's remains, and we will continue to do so. If you can understand for perspective what these law enforcement, men and women, have accomplished is, they've essentially solved the case and so you could expect that this is not the case, that we could say our work is done here, but there's a humane part of this case that is very, very important to me and to my team, and that is - that we owe it to this family to try to recover Beth Capaldi. And, that's over and above how successful or unsuccessful this criminal prosecution will be. So, we remain committed to that process until it's no longer feasible.

Reporter - You haven't found any remains then?.

DA - We have, yes.

Reporter - You have found some?.

DA - Yes, in Tinicum.

Reporter - The murder scene was in the home?.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What part of the home?.

DA - Well, I still have to be somewhat circumspect. I'm technically not allowed to say whether somebody confessed or not, but our evidence indicates to us that Beth Capaldi was murdered in her bedroom. That she was strangled and/or smothered and that she was then taken to the basement.

Reporter - You mentioned that... and he did testify before the Grand Jury and had a polygraph. What did he testify to?. What did the polygraph say?.

DA - Well, I think if you read in the report, that will be made available to the public, it will indicate that he failed the polygraph. He was not... he failed the polygraph, I'll say that and that the Grand Jury found his testimony to be untruthful, incredible. That's a value judgement that they made, but as you now understand, we met with Mr. Capaldi after that and he was provably, demonstrably, truthful with us in his cooperation.

Reporter - Hate to ask this question, but can you give any... the nature of the remains that were recovered?.

DA - I'd prefer not to do that.

Reporter - Was that done in the basement?. Not to be overly gory here.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What was the catalyst for this conversation even to happen?. Was he called in and questioned or did he come to you guys with an attorney?.

DA - It's the power of the Grand Jury and the power of excellent investigative work and great work by our Prosecutor's. They put a lot of pressure to bear on him. He was called before the Grand Jury and candidly unraveled.

Reporter - Were there any calls of any domestic abuse history or any police calls to the house?.

DA - I normally wouldn't be able to comment on that, but the answer, in this case, is no.
Alright, thank you all. I really appreciate your patience and your help in this case. Thank you. God bless the Capaldi's.

GRAND JURY REPORT.

Last edited:
What, "How to control your dark impulses" doesn't qualify?!

Methinks this dude thought he was Batman or something, when in reality he was more like Darkwing Duck.

This comment made my day lol....not only is it hilarious.....but I have no doubt that it is completely accurate based on his passion for comic books. Such a pathetic man living in his own fantasies ...I'm sure he's envisioned himself in a cape at some point.

I didn't realize they had been married for 30 years....for some reason I had assumed this was a second marriage. Am I correct in assuming that he is that father to Emma? If not...I'm sure she saw him as one considering the length of time he was part of her family. How devastating for her.

It always surprises me that the abuse of a corpse charge doesn't come with a heavier sentence. In some cases it may refer to hiding or burying which is awful....but there is something esp. horrific about dismemberment. To be able to do that to another human being....let alone a loved one...seems it should come with a life sentence. M.O.O.

JMO.
Beth's husband was concerned about the financial repercussions of divorce so he took an alternative route.
<modsnip>
I wasn't aware she was asleep. I imagine that would eliminate "crime of passion".
This comment made my day lol....not only is it hilarious.....but I have no doubt that it is completely accurate based on his passion for comic books. Such a pathetic man living in his own fantasies ...I'm sure he's envisioned himself in a cape at some point.

I didn't realize they had been married for 30 years....for some reason I had assumed this was a second marriage. Am I correct in assuming that he is that father to Emma? If not...I'm sure she saw him as one considering the length of time he was part of her family. How devastating for her.

It always surprises me that the abuse of a corpse charge doesn't come with a heavier sentence. In some cases it may refer to hiding or burying which is awful....but there is something esp. horrific about dismemberment. To be able to do that to another human being....let alone a loved one...seems it should come with a life sentence. M.O.O.
Emma is his daughter. IMPOV he would have been charged with first degree, as I am sure he planned it all, BUT, as he confessed and led LE to at least part of her body, they charged him with 3rd degree, and now escapes the possibility of the Death Penalty in PA. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back