PA - Grace Packer, 14, murdered, Abington, 4 July 2016 *Killer died*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Monday, Sept. 17th:
*Trial was set to begin-Postponed! Might have Hearing today instead (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016/found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to see DP; trial set for September 17th
and for *Jacob Patrick Sullivan (44) (Bf of amom) indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA seeks DP.
Trial was to start March 26, 2018, was delayed until Sept. 17th.
8/13/18 Update: Motions to continue trial filed by defense; Judge grants motion re scheduled for 1/14/19.

IN FIRST PUBLIC TESTIMONY, KATHERINE ALLBRIGHT ACCUSED OF HIDING SARA PACKER ON DAY OF ALLEGED "SUICIDE PACT"

Timeline questioned for 'suicide pact' in Grace Packer case

By Laurie Mason Schroeder / Of The Morning Call
Posted Oct 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM

The woman described by prosecutors as being in a “polyamorous” relationship with Sara Packer and Jacob Sullivan testified Monday in Bucks County Court that she was not aware the couple planned to commit suicide as police closed in on them for the rape and murder of 14-year-old Grace Packer.

Katherine Allbright, 40, described coming home to the one-bedroom Horsham apartment she shared with Sara Packer and Sullivan on Dec. 30, 2016, and immediately seeing Sullivan sprawled unconscious in the bedroom doorway. She called 911, she told Bucks County Judge Diane Gibbons, and spoke to a detective who arrived shortly after the ambulance that took Sullivan to a nearby hospital.

More than an hour after the paramedics and detective left, Allbright said, she found Sara Packer sitting in the apartment shower. Sara Packer was “barely conscious,” Allbright testified, but was able to walk to Allbright’s car with her help. Allbright said she drove Sara Packer to a hospital.

“I was in shock,” Allbright said.

She denied knowing that the pair was planning to commit suicide, and said she could recall few details of what transpired.

“My brain, in order to protect me, has blocked a lot of it out,” Allbright said. “I’ve been through a lot in the past two years.”

Allbright’s testimony, delivered during a pretrial hearing , is the first time she has spoken publicly since Sara Packer and Sullivan were charged with killing Grace Packer. Prosecutors say Sullivan raped and strangled Grace on July 8, 2016, in a rented Richland Township home he shared with Sara Packer, 44, Grace’s adoptive mother.

The pair is scheduled to stand trial in January. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Sullivan and say they have not ruled it out for Sara Packer.

Sullivan’s lawyer, Chief Public Defender Christina King, pressed Allbright for details about her client’s suicide attempt. King noted that a full five minutes passed after Allbright got home before she dialed 911. A neighbor’s security camera recorded her car arriving, and 911 logs showed the time of the call.

“Weren’t you indeed hiding Sara in the bathroom at that time?” King asked.

“No,” Allbright replied.

Allbright previously testified before a grand jury, and will likely be called as a trial witness. She has not been charged with a crime.

Prosecutors say Sullivan first confessed to raping and murdering Grace to employees at Abington Hospital, where he was recovering from ingesting 13 different kinds of medication. When talking to police, several nurses described “feeling ill, losing work” and said “they vomited” after hearing Sullivan’s words, Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub said in court Monday.

Sullivan’s attorneys have argued in pretrial motions that portions of the nurses’ statements could unfairly sway a jury when the case goes to trial. Lawyers on both sides reached an agreement that prosecution witnesses will be instructed to avoid talking about the emotional impact Sullivan’s words had on them.

Sara Packer is accused of helping Sullivan plan the killing. Prosecutors say she watched Sullivan rape the child and bought the saw used to dismember her body.

The couple hid Grace’s body in the attic of the rented home for months, packed in cat litter, prosecutors contend in court records. After a detective asked about the missing teen in October, Sara Packer and Sullivan dismembered the girl’s body and dumped it in Luzerne County, where hunters discovered the remains, court records say.

At the time of the couple’s arrest, Weintraub said Sara Packer and Sullivan expressed hatred toward Grace and that her death was the culmination of a rape-and-murder fantasy the couple shared.

Gibbons must rule on numerous pretrial issues before the trial. Sara Packer and Sullivan are being held in jail without bail.

In court Monday, King disclosed that she had interviewed Sara Packer at the county jail before she knew that she would be assigned to represent Sullivan. The conversation was placed on the record after Sara Packer’s court-appointed attorney confirmed that his client was waiving her attorney-client privilege. King said she wanted to avoid any ethical dilemmas that might arise.

King testified that she introduced herself to Sara Packer and asked if she had any questions.

“Is he dead?” King recalled Sara Packer asking. “Did he make a statement? That wasn’t the plan.”

Not sure what Prosecutor King's theory is.

FYI, I gained access to the actual apartment in question during a showing of the apartment when it was for rent. I stood in the hallway, stood in the bathroom, stood in the bedroom in question. I have posted to this effect here, with photos from inside the apartment and bathroom.

I have shared my speculations around the "suicide pact" day and timeline here. In brief:

1) The suicide pact between Packer and Sullivan was a ruse on the part of Packer. Packer has no intention of killing herself, but every intention of luring Sullivan into killing himself. Packer duped Sullivan into taking a much higher dose of whatever drug was agreed upon, with Packer taking much less of the drug or none at all. Packer's goal was to have Sullivan dead, herself a "suicide survivor" and eliminate Sullivan (and his testimony) from the legal equation.

2) I speculate that the "suicide note" found with Sullivan on this day is a forgery. Packer has been charged with forging other handwritten notes in this case. I do not believe Sullivan wrote the suicide note. Someone did, maybe after Sullivan ingested his near-fatal suicide dose.

3) Who wrote the suicide note? I asked DA Matt Weintraub this question personally, in a face to face meeting in Bristol, PA. Weintraub said that no documentation expert has verified that Sullivan wrote the suicide note. I posted about my chance meeting with DA Weintraub here.

If document experts cannot link the Sullivan suicide note to Jacob Sullivan, then someone else wrote it. I would like to see forensic document analysis of that note to rule in / out who the writer of the note is or is not.

David

Hi David, thanks for your response. I do remember that you had asked a couple different members of the media and people involved with the case about the possibility of the note being a forgery, but hadn’t gotten a satisfactory answer yet. It’s interesting the suicide attempts themselves are so suspicious, between the note & SP’s statements and the time lapse of 5 minutes between the third roommate arriving home and calling 911.

One thing I’m NOT surprised about is that Allbright is having some suspicion cast on her; I’m not saying she did or did not do anything in relation to the murder, but if there was systemic abuse of Grace occurring at the hands of SP and her boyfriend, then it’s logical to assume she’d have seen something living with them all in close quarters.

Some scheduling details from their docket sheets:

They are scheduled to have pretrial conferences 1/14/2019 through 1/18/2019. Jury selection is scheduled to start on 2/19/2019. The trial will start 3/14/2019. The schedule also has 3/4/2019 listed as "trial," but there are no details for that date down in the entries section.

Thanks a BUNCH lsv7!!

Monday, January 14th:
*Pretrial Hearing (Day 1) (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to see DP.
*Jacob Patrick Sullivan (44) (Bf of amom) indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA seeks DP.
Trial was to start March 26, 2018, was delayed until Sept. 17, 2018, delayed again to 1/14/19 & again to 3/14/19.
8/13/18 Update: Motions to continue trial filed by defense; Judge grants motion re scheduled for 1/14/19.
1/7/19 Update: Trial has been moved (again!). Today (1/14/19) is a pretrial hearing which will run thru 1/18/19. Jury selection begins 2/19, final pretrial hearing on 3/4, trial set to begin 3/14.

Tuesday, January 15th:
*Pretrial Hearing (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to see DP.
*Jacob Patrick Sullivan (44) (Bf of amom) indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA seeks DP.
Trial was to start March 26, 2018, was delayed until Sept. 17, 2018, delayed again to 1/14/19 & again to 3/14/19.
1/7/19 Update: Trial has been moved (again!). Today (1/14/19) is a pretrial hearing which will run thru 1/18/19. Jury selection begins 2/19, final pretrial hearing on 3/4, trial set to begin 3/14.

Wednesday, January 16th:
*Pretrial Hearing (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to see DP.
1/7/19 Update: Trial has been moved (again!). On 1/14/19 is a pretrial hearing, which will run thru 1/18/19. Jury selection begins 2/19, final pretrial hearing on 3/4, trial set to begin 3/14.

@lsv7 - any updates on what is going in court with this one??

TIA! :)

I'll keep posting this until someone updates the latest! :)

Thursday, January 17th:
*Pretrial Hearing (Day 4) (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to seek DP.
1/7/19 Update: Trial has been moved (again!). On 1/14/19 is a pretrial hearing which will run thru 1/18/19. Jury selection begins 2/19, final pretrial hearing on 3/4, trial set to begin 3/14.

and supposedly the last day of pretrial hearings:

Friday, January 18th:
*Pretrial Hearing (Day 5) (@ 9am ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016) – *Sara Packer (42) adopted "mom" indicted on 1st degree murder, rape, kidnapping & dismemberment. DA not sure yet to see DP.

Judge tosses “emotionally disturbing” photos from Grace Packer trial

District Attorney Matt Weintraub told the judge that he wanted to show the photo, as well as a picture of Grace’s face and torso lying in the woods, to show what hunters saw when they stumbled upon her body.

Calling the images “emotionally disturbing,” Bucks County Judge Diane Gibbons on Friday denied prosecutors’ requests to show close up photos of Grace Packer’s dismembered remains to a jury.

At issue were photos depicting the 14-year-old’s head, torso and limbs in the condition they were in when found by hunters in October 2016.

“I don’t know how anyone could look at that photo, as a human being, and not be emotionally disturbed,” Gibbons said of a collection of limbs laid out on a blue tarp.

Judge tosses "emotionally disturbing" photos from Grace Packer trial

Public defender Chris King objected to what he called “a particularly chilling display.”

Gibbons also denied a defense request to delay the trial pending appellate court rulings on challenges to Pennsylvania’s death penalty statute.

A jury in March will determine what happened to Grace, a former Allentown student allegedly raped and murdered by her adoptive mother and her mother’s boyfriend in Richland Township in 2016.

Police say Sara Packer, a former Northampton County adoption supervisor, planned and carried out the crime with Jacob Sullivan in July 2016, in a home they rented together on East Cherry Road in Richland Township, just outside Quakertown. Grace was bound, gagged, drugged and left in a hot closet overnight to die, court records say. Police allege that when Sullivan found her alive the next day, he strangled her.

He and Packer then allegedly hid Grace’s corpse for months under a pile of cat litter before dismembering and discarding it in rural Luzerne County.

Bucks County man headed to trial in rape-murder of Grace Packer could face the death penalty

FES2GO5SENAA3POBKLNO4WZDJU.jpg

LUC4VKNXX5BV5DD4ONC65W56CM.jpg

A Doylestown man charged with raping, killing, and dismembering 14-year-old Grace Packer in 2016 is finally headed to trial. On Friday, a Bucks County judge vowed there would be no further delays in the case against Jacob Sullivan, and denied a defense request to postpone the proceedings as they await a higher court’s ruling on the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

“I see this issue as very clear and easy,” Common Pleas Court Judge Diane E. Gibbons said. “The request for a delay here is for a delay that is indefinite.... We could be waiting here for another year or two.”

With that ruling, Friday’s pretrial conference in Doylestown was set to be one of the final court sessions before Sullivan’s trial, which is to begin in March. At the hearing, Gibbons not only denied the defense motion to postpone the trial, but also reviewed grisly crime scene photos to determine which could be shown to a jury.

Bucks County man headed to trial in rape-murder of Grace Packer could face the death penalty

Judge denies request to delay trial involving Grace Packer's death

There are new developments in the criminal case against the man charged in the rape and murder of 14-year-old Grace Packer.

Jacob Sullivan was in a Doylestown court Friday morning arguing to get his trial delayed.

"Waited a long time for this. A terrible tragedy, no matter who is responsible," Bucks County district attorney Matt Weintraub said.

Prosecutors said Jacob Sullivan and Sara Packer are the ones responsible for torturing and killing Sara's 14-year-old adopted daughter Grace.

Sullivan asked the judge Friday to delay his upcoming capital murder trial.

His defense argued two pending death penalty cases in front of Pennsylvania's Supreme Court are grounds for postponement.

However, the D.A. argued it's been two years since Sullivan was charged, and they shouldn't be asked to play the waiting game for a guessing game.

The judge agreed and said the trial will go on as planned.

"I'm pleased about that. We've had this date for a while and we are looking forward to just getting in there and letting a judge or jury decide what should happen in this case," Weintraub added.
<snip>

Sullivan is set for trial March 14, with Sara Packer to follow.

Judge denies request to delay trial involving Grace Packer's death

Oh - I thought they were going to be tried together - guess not, eh?

So - Grace after Patrick - but I haven't seen any dates on "when" hers is supposed to start.
Anyone here seen a date?
or can get into the PA court site? TIA! :)
Maybe @lsv7 ?? :D

Oh - I thought they were going to be tried together - guess not, eh?

So - Grace after Patrick - but I haven't seen any dates on "when" hers is supposed to start.
Anyone here seen a date?
or can get into the PA court site? TIA! :)
Maybe @lsv7 ?? :D

I can't find anything specifically saying when she will be tried. I found this:

"Packer was not in court. She and Sullivan are being tried separately, with Sullivan’s case going first. Her attorney, Keith Williams, said Packer has not yet been asked to testify against Sullivan, and declined to say if she would if asked."

I really hope they are not going to give her a deal to testify!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back