PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The last sentence in the article quotes her lawyer saying they plan to enter a guilty plea.
Back thread already discussed that it was a misprint. Best not to spread misprints.
I don't even know what to say.....
Her attorney already appeared in front of the Judge to confirm this is going to trial.

To clarify-- Virzi’s attorney David Shrager told The Post Saturday his client was innocent, and planned to plead not guilty.

I am still amazed at how little publicity here..from the beginning.
Perhaps the trial will change things.

I am also thinking about Kimberly Singler, who killed her children, escaped to London, and is sitting comfortably in jail on another country.
Im waiting for that trial too.

Wow! I live in Pittsburgh and had not heard one peep about this case! Granted I was away last week so may have missed the local news stories, but still.

I’m getting Lucy Letby vibes from her too, and envision her as the type to have hurt the babies purposefully to see their reactions with cold clinical detachment. I suspect the second baby was harmed because she was hurting him and perhaps he was screaming and wouldn’t stop so she just killed him.

How absolutely devastating for these parents. Not only do they have to deal with the tragic loss of their baby, but also the guilt and shame they will feel for trusting this woman. I wonder if she persuaded them to go out on the town so she could have some alone time with the babies. What was she doing in Pittsburgh anyway? Here just to visit her friend?

Her family presumably is very wealthy if her father is a prominent cardiologist. Her attorney, David Schrager, is one of the highest-profile attorneys in the Pittsburgh area and has a reputation for being a bulldog, so we should expect a very vigorous defense.

Wow! I live in Pittsburgh and had not heard one peep about this case! Granted I was away last week so may have missed the local news stories, but still.

I’m getting Lucy Letby vibes from her too, and envision her as the type to have hurt the babies purposefully to see their reactions with cold clinical detachment. I suspect the second baby was harmed because she was hurting him and perhaps he was screaming and wouldn’t stop so she just killed him.

How absolutely devastating for these parents. Not only do they have to deal with the tragic loss of their baby, but also the guilt and shame they will feel for trusting this woman. I wonder if she persuaded them to go out on the town so she could have some alone time with the babies. What was she doing in Pittsburgh anyway? Here just to visit her friend?

Her family presumably is very wealthy if her father is a prominent cardiologist. Her attorney, David Schrager, is one of the highest-profile attorneys in the Pittsburgh area and has a reputation for being a bulldog, so we should expect a very vigorous defense.

Pittsburgh born and bred as well. So I do tend to have interest with Pittsburgh cases.
A few points I have noticed...
WHEN this actually happened, there was so little press.
Way back in the thread, I posted many of her academic works (just Google Google Scholar ). She had an interesting study about physical experience and resulting PAIN.
So, I too, felt she was experimenting with her academic theories.
Inappropriately
THIS is why, to me, that this is a very interesting as well as horrific situation.
Moo.

Pittsburgh born and bred as well. So I do tend to have interest with Pittsburgh cases.
A few points I have noticed...
WHEN this actually happened, there was so little press.
Way back in the thread, I posted many of her academic works (just Google Google Scholar ). She had an interesting study about physical experience and resulting PAIN.
So, I too, felt she was experimenting with her academic theories.
Inappropriately
THIS is why, to me, that this is a very interesting as well as horrific situation.
Moo.
Another lifelong Pittsburgher here, still live here. I have noticed that media is often very scant with news on the progress of some cases - particularly crimes against children. I saw it with the Nalani Johnson case. Not sure why.

jmo

Another lifelong Pittsburgher here, still live here. I have noticed that media is often very scant with news on the progress of some cases - particularly crimes against children. I saw it with the Nalani Johnson case. Not sure why.

jmo
Do the defense attorneys play some role in what the media is allowed access to?

Do the defense attorneys play some role in what the media is allowed access to?
Interesting thought. I don’t know. Perhaps some influence through advertising on media. More likely is Allegheny County and Pittsburgh homicide either keep things under wrap, or are too overwhelmed to respond to media - or both.

jmo

No way do I believe she'll plead guilty. I imagine her father will help with her legal expenses and she has an excellent criminal attorney. I'm not saying she is innocent, but I do think she'll fight this in court. Depends a lot on the evidence how it turns out. All MOO
From Super Lawyers-- "earned him several accolades, including being listed in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100; holding an Avvo “Superb” rating; and being listed in the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys’ 10 Best. Mr. Shrager is a member of the Pennsylvania …"

Virzi, a graduate of Pepperdine University who holds a graduate degree in clinical psychology from San Diego State, grew up in the tristate area, the daughter of Dr. Peter J. Virzi, a highly-respected cardiologist affiliated with Mt. Sinai Doctors in Manhattan.

“I have no words,” a friend and colleague of Virzi’s told The Post Saturday. “I am absolutely shocked. I had no idea.”

The friend said she did not know Virzi to be violent but said noted she “had some interpersonal issues. I would say she was a little rigid. She was nice. But very driven and motivated.”

[...]

Virzi’s attorney David Shrager told The Post Saturday his client was innocent, and planned to plead not guilty.
Her family presumably is very wealthy if her father is a prominent cardiologist. Her attorney, David Schrager, is one of the highest-profile attorneys in the Pittsburgh area and has a reputation for being a bulldog, so we should expect a very vigorous defense​
I totally agree with you, @Kittybunny, that we can expect a vigorous defense from a top notch attorney. Her attorney is already fashioning her into the caring, thoughtful friend that doesn't want the parents to have to hear what happened. (cough, cough)

MOO, I think Defense is going to have to go with her inexperience caring for children and it wasn't intentional harm. What else do you think Defense can use? Going after the parents?
News Video shows large group of people attending the hearing, but that only lasted minutes.

Virzi remains in the Allegheny County Jail. Her formal arraignment is set for Aug. 23. That's when the case will be assigned to a judge and she'll enter her plea.

MOO, I think Defense is going to have to go with her inexperience caring for children and it wasn't intentional harm. What else do you think Defense can use? Going after the parents?
SBM
I think it will be the first, but you never know what a defense team is capable of. If they try and deflect blame onto the parents, it won’t be the first time that strategy has been used.

This case is so painful that I’ve avoided reading the details until now.

I am an identical twin. We are in our 60s now, so when we were born, there were few of the conveniences of modern times, or even what existed when my daughter was born in 1981.

I don’t know how my parents coped with two simultaneous infants, both of us poor eaters who cried at different times. Cloth diapers that had to be washed because Pampers et.al. had not yet been invented. Formula that was actually a formula of ingredients that had to be mixed together.

No sonograms and two babies was a surprise to our parents, so our dad took on two part-time jobs in addition to his real job.

Yet somehow they made it through without harming us in any way.

I literally don’t want to dwell on this because it is too heartbreaking…a trusted family friend, well-educated and affluent, who doesn’t live close by and did not have to do this, day upon day, for years….like my parents and all those of you who are parenting twins.

IMO this is the most frightening thing…a wolf in sheep’s clothing, because you don’t catch the clues that this person is actually evil. It’s so easy to be lulled into believing that someone you know, someone educated and wealthy from a good family, would be an upright person.

R.I.P., baby Leon. May your memory be a blessing to your family. Baby Ari, you will not remember your brother, but may knowing he existed give you double strength as you grow.

Just my opinion as a twin.

I totally agree with you, @Kittybunny, that we can expect a vigorous defense from a top notch attorney. Her attorney is already fashioning her into the caring, thoughtful friend that doesn't want the parents to have to hear what happened. (cough, cough)

News Video shows large group of people attending the hearing, but that only lasted minutes.

Virzi remains in the Allegheny County Jail. Her formal arraignment is set for Aug. 23. That's when the case will be assigned to a judge and she'll enter her plea.

I agree that the defense will go with a tragic accident defense. They must remain committed to the version of events she gave to law enforcement and attack the medical experts and examiner’s conclusions that the injuries baby Leon suffered could not have been caused by an accidental fall. They will put up their own experts to dispute that, I’m sure. Schrager may also have to put her on the stand to tell her story - but it will depend on how good an actress she is and if she seems meek. Some of the accounts of her “inter-personal relationship issues” and “being rigid” may work against her on the stand.

As far as attacking the parents, I think given the circumstances of them rushing the other baby to the hospital and leaving her alone with the other baby out of necessity not choice, defense would be better off not at all going there as the jury will have a tremendous amount of sympathy for these parents. If they had dumped their babies on someone they barely knew and were out at bars till 3am, maybe. But Schrager’s too smart to play that card I think.

Then I think the other thing Schrager will do or should do is to keep anything out related to the genital injuries of the other twin and the opinion that she is responsible. I don’t know whether they will be trying to charge her for that as well in this case or if it would be a separate case altogether. I think he has a good shot at making the case that it’s too prejudicial and it’s separate from the death. But if it gets in, it’s great for the prosecution because it shows some depravity that can make it easier to believe she was capable of it.

Although it’s not required, the prosecution should try to find and present some semblance of a motive. We cynical true crime followers know that evil comes in many guises, but the jury may not be so jaded and find it hard to believe a young female could be capable of such a heinous crime.

As far as attacking the parents, I think given the circumstances of them rushing the other baby to the hospital and leaving her alone with the other baby out of necessity not choice, defense would be better off not at all going there as the jury will have a tremendous amount of sympathy for these parents. If they had dumped their babies on someone they barely knew and were out at bars till 3am, maybe. But Schrager’s too smart to play that card I think.
SBM
Yes, good points.

Prosecution going for H1 homicide and aggravated assault. This indicates to me they have definitive evidence from the hospital that this was no accident.

I predict a plea, or possibly a bench trial.

jmo
Yes, in the earliest articles the physician at Children’s Hospital had already stated to law enforcement that both twins had sustained injuries from child abuse, and not from natural or accidental causes. Unless the defense wants to try and deflect blame for the abuse onto the parents, they’re going to have a difficult time arguing that the doctor’s statement is false.

...They must remain committed to the version of events she gave to law enforcement and attack the medical experts and examiner’s conclusions that the injuries baby Leon suffered could not have been caused by an accidental fall. They will put up their own experts to dispute that, I’m sure. Schrager may also have to put her on the stand to tell her story -...​

Excellent view of what the Defense's plan most likely will be, @Kittybunny. You really hit all of valid points. Yes, keeping the other twin's genital injuries out of it would be a smart move. Including it adds so much suspicion that "something must be wrong with that girl" to it when combined with the other twin's death.

Then, Defense can concentrate on the "caring, but inexperienced sitter and the infant's accidental fatal fall that certainly was not intentional harm" defense. She'll be coached to milk it for sympathy, and probably produce some showy tears. All MOO

...Unless the defense wants to try and deflect blame for the abuse onto the parents, they’re going to have a difficult time arguing that the doctor’s statement is false.

Oh, you know, @SMK777, that's exactly what Defense will do, in my opinion. I think Defense will get their own experts and we will hear and see the bouncing chair the baby was in and diagrams and computer projections of different directions and ways a baby could sustain those head injuries. Infants' heads are so delicate, and as we all know they have what is called fontanelles (soft areas). We will probably hear about that, at trial, as well by Defense's expert(s).

This is all MOO though.

Excellent view of what the Defense's plan most likely will be, @Kittybunny. You really hit all of valid points. Yes, keeping the other twin's genital injuries out of it would be a smart move. Including it adds so much suspicion that "something must be wrong with that girl" to it when combined with the other twin's death.

Then, Defense can concentrate on the "caring, but inexperienced sitter and the infant's accidental fatal fall that certainly was not intentional harm" defense. She'll be coached to milk it for sympathy, and probably produce some showy tears. All MOO

Oh, you know, @SMK777, that's exactly what Defense will do, in my opinion. I think Defense will get their own experts and we will hear and see the bouncing chair the baby was in and diagrams and computer projections of different directions and ways a baby could sustain those head injuries. Infants' heads are so delicate, and as we all know they have what is called fontanelles (soft areas). We will probably hear about that, at trial, as well by Defense's expert(s).

This is all MOO though.

True; I guess what remains to be seen is if it will convince a jury.

I agree that the defense will go with a tragic accident defense. They must remain committed to the version of events she gave to law enforcement and attack the medical experts and examiner’s conclusions that the injuries baby Leon suffered could not have been caused by an accidental fall. They will put up their own experts to dispute that, I’m sure. Schrager may also have to put her on the stand to tell her story - but it will depend on how good an actress she is and if she seems meek. Some of the accounts of her “inter-personal relationship issues” and “being rigid” may work against her on the stand.

Then I think the other thing Schrager will do or should do is to keep anything out related to the genital injuries of the other twin and the opinion that she is responsible. I don’t know whether they will be trying to charge her for that as well in this case or if it would be a separate case altogether. I think he has a good shot at making the case that it’s too prejudicial and it’s separate from the death. But if it gets in, it’s great for the prosecution because it shows some depravity that can make it easier to believe she was capable of it.

Although it’s not required, the prosecution should try to find and present some semblance of a motive. We cynical true crime followers know that evil comes in many guises, but the jury may not be so jaded and find it hard to believe a young female could be capable of such a heinous crime.

This seems a fairly comprehensive idea of how the defense may argue the case.

To be honest, I don’t think I could be a truly impartial juror, even if I virtuously listened to all the evidence from each side.

One, being a twin I already feel disposed toward the prosecution due to the unbearable loss, and because I know what Ari’s life will be missing due to Leon’s horrifying death.

Two, because the fact that one baby was injured seriously enough for the parents to rush him to the hospital, only to return and find the other baby dead, would be wildly too coincidental for me.

No matter how the defense tries to present it, I know I’d be thinking that 100% of the babies left in her care suffered grievously.

I haven’t been to Pittsburgh in years and years, but I hope that jury gets to hear the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!