GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Any thoughts as to why it shouldn’t, or maybe more accurately - why they wouldn’t - want it to be charged in Allegheny County?

The kidnapping began here. SN is a resident here. The baby was a resident here. Allegheny Co has greater resources.

I believe that the charges are filed in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. Whether that's the law, tradition or just the way it's done, I have no idea. Legal Eagle I'm not.

Accused cop-killer Rahmael Sal Holt shot Officer Brian Shaw in New Kensington, Westmoreland County. Officer Shaw was pronounced dead in Allegheny Valley Hospital in Harrison, Allegheny County. Holt lived in Natrona/Harrison, Allegheny County. But murder charges against Holt were filed and the trial will take place in Westmoreland County, where the shooting occurred.

I don't know what will happen with Nalani's case(s), especially if it's determined that she died outside of Allegheny County. Maybe it will be decided though interjurisdictional cooperation. Time, and more info, will tell.

Then there's change of venue, which is a whole other issue that, who knows, may come up with SN. Nalani's murder has had such a profound effect on this entire area. Is it even possible for SN to get a fair trial here?

Based on what they have said repeatedly, that SN is the only one responsible for Nalanis death, can you help me understand where a hot car death might have occured?

<modsnip - bickering>

the cause of death has not been proclaimed yet and SN has not been tried and convicted. Additionally, other statements have alluded to the investigation still being open to who all may be responsible. Until all facts come out, I think it is prudent and wise to consider all possibilities. But that's just how I view things.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question! A quick Google search for metabolic testing postmortem led me to an article from the Mayo Clinic Labs site. It's all above my pay grade but the gist seems to be to investigate possible unexpected death from; something called Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders; to check for genetic causes and to investigate possible child abuse.

I won't try to explain any of this but my best unprofessional guess is to screen out some sort of natural death. IOW, maybe making sure every possible cause is explored? MOO. Hopefully the forensic pathologist knows what he's doing and will present a comprehensive report.
The Metabolic Autopsy: Postmortem Screening in Cases of Sudden, Unexpected Death - Insights

Good question! A quick Google search for metabolic testing postmortem led me to an article from the Mayo Clinic Labs site. It's all above my pay grade but the gist seems to be to investigate possible unexpected death from; something called Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders; to check for genetic causes and to investigate possible child abuse.

I won't try to explain any of this but my best unprofessional guess is to screen out some sort of natural death. IOW, maybe making sure every possible cause is explored? MOO. Hopefully the forensic pathologist knows what he's doing and will present a comprehensive report.
The Metabolic Autopsy: Postmortem Screening in Cases of Sudden, Unexpected Death - Insights

Thanks for the info! Very interesting! And it really supports the fact that they are trying to rule out every possible cause including causes that Nancy may not have directly contributed to (but obviously didn't help either). Which is why I asked about a hot car death being ruled out. Some people don't understand that just bc they say that Nancy is responsible doesn't mean they still don't have to investigate all possibilities.

I know the coroner said that Nalani didn't pass from exposure. Does that automatically rule out a hot car death?
The coroner didn't say Nalani didn't pass from exposure. That is the DA's opinion. Her cause and manner of death won't be determined until toxicology and other tests are complete. MOO
Any thoughts as to why it shouldn’t, or maybe more accurately - why they wouldn’t - want it to be charged in Allegheny County?

The kidnapping began here. SN is a resident here. The baby was a resident here. Allegheny Co has greater resources.
Allegheny County is prosecuting SN.

Investigation into toddler's death continues
He means the time of death is 4:12 on the day they found her, not the day she died, right? Because 4:12 would probably be the time the coroner officially pronounced her dead?
Yes, she was pronounced deceased at 4:12 p.m. See coroner's report:

Attachments

Last edited:
I believe that the charges are filed in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. Whether that's the law, tradition or just the way it's done, I have no idea. Legal Eagle I'm not.

Accused cop-killer Rahmael Sal Holt shot Officer Brian Shaw in New Kensington, Westmoreland County. Officer Shaw was pronounced dead in Allegheny Valley Hospital in Harrison, Allegheny County. Holt lived in Natrona/Harrison, Allegheny County. But murder charges against Holt were filed and the trial will take place in Westmoreland County, where the shooting occurred.

I don't know what will happen with Nalani's case(s), especially if it's determined that she died outside of Allegheny County. Maybe it will be decided though interjurisdictional cooperation. Time, and more info, will tell.

Then there's change of venue, which is a whole other issue that, who knows, may come up with SN. Nalani's murder has had such a profound effect on this entire area. Is it even possible for SN to get a fair trial here?

Good points. Thank you.
It may be that SN would have a better chance at a multi-cultural and diverse jury pool in Allegheny County. Just my thoughts from living in the area all my life. I had family in Blairsville. It was quaint at one time. It’s a rather depressed, monochromatic area now.

I do think finding a sympathetic jury to the murder of a not yet 2 year old would be tough... anywhere.

The Allegheny Co. and Indiana Co. DA's met on Wednesday and later issued a joint statement:

NALANI JOHNSON: DA: Woman who abducted toddler was only person involved in her death, evidence shows
In a joint statement, Zappala and Dougherty’s offices said the following Thursday morning:

“Although the cause and manner of death for Nalani Johnson are pending further test results by the Indiana County Coroner, the expectation is that the manner of death will be homicide.

“At the conclusion of the meeting it was agreed that all of the charges resulting from the investigation will be prosecuted in Allegheny County with District Attorney Dougherty and the Indiana County District Attorney’s Office having a significant partnership role in the prosecution.

“The Allegheny County Police Department will remain the lead investigative agency with Westmoreland and Indiana counties, along with the Pennsylvania State Police continuing their involvement as well.”

Thanks for the info! Very interesting! And it really supports the fact that they are trying to rule out every possible cause including causes that Nancy may not have directly contributed to (but obviously didn't help either). Which is why I asked about a hot car death being ruled out. Some people don't understand that just bc they say that Nancy is responsible doesn't mean they still don't have to investigate all possibilities.
I think I get what your saying and while nothing can be absolutely ruled out at the moment I *think* one reason your question met some push back is that in order for Nalani to have died in a hot car implies a longer period of time which would mean that she was dead before her father and uncle got out of the car. And right now the DA is saying the evidence points to Nancy being the sole murderer.

To be clear I don't think a hot car death is what happened - IMO it would take quite a while for Nalani to be sitting alone in the car before the temperature rose to a point of being fatal plus it would also implicate the father and uncle. Again, currently the facts as we know them don't support that scenario.

Never say never but what we have to work with right now seems to point to Nancy doing something active to Nalani rather than passive. What she did is still being determined but my money is on her suffocating Nalani in some fashion as I think poison or a drug overdose would not have killed her so quickly, again assuming Nancy acted alone. All MOO.

And to add, IMO and understanding of TOS, it's okay to posit possibilities as long as we don't point a finger directly at anyone considered a victim in the case. The whole reason for discussion is to throw out options and as a group we consider and either embrace or discard those options. In nearly all cases here the facts and evidence change as more information is released.

Since I was the one that answered another poster about the hot car, and whether that could have happened at Kennywood, I would like to posit a theory. One that I do not believe, by the way. I’m going with suffocation or poisoning. I also think SN is mentally ill, drug addicted, or both.

But, there’s a scenario of a hot car that could involve only SN. *Warning*: this is a made up version of events.

Let’s say the 3 of them went to Kennywood together. Then the baby got tired and SN said she’d take the baby back to the car and sit with her or take her somewhere to nap. In this made up scenario, she took the baby, and left the two men at Kennywood with plans to return and pick them up later. While gone, she went elsewhere and then left her in the hot car, while hanging out in a bar or mall or even her house. She then returned to pick up the men later, and Nalani was by then deceased.

It’s a very unlikely theory. I only say it because it’s one way a hot car death could occur and not involve the two men.

And it was actually hot in the mid to late afternoon that day. Temps were mid 70s, but in the car without a/c it was definitely hot.

I just can't come up with a scenario where this baby died so quickly without signs of trauma It seems like that monster did not have much time to drive straight to the park and back...stopping at the sheetz as well.....

I guess we have to trust LE that the baby wasn’t left to die slowly in that car seat for 3 days.

It’s an unbearable scenario.

When I google “metabolic testing homicide” it brought me results with the words antifreeze, ethylene glycol, and the case of Patricia Stallings.

Death from antifreeze poisoning could take up to ~72 hours.
Also most antifreeze manufacturers today put in an additive which makes it taste very bitter. Good for the animals and babies who used to drink it due to its sweet taste.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back