GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“The remote location where authorities found the little girl was a familiar area to Nancy, according to Zappala. As a rideshare driver, she had previously been to the area, and only a few days prior to Nalani’s death.”

Nalani Johnson: Rideshare driver Sharena Nancy is the ONLY suspect in tot girl’s disappearance, death: DA
Since LE has Nancy's phone pings it seems like the window for her murdering Nalani is pretty tight, yes? Since they reported that she was already dead when placed against the tree in the park would there have been enough time for some sort of poisoning?

Also, is it possible that due to the amount of time between her death and LE finding her body postmortem changes could have concealed or masked some trauma (or vice versa)? I'm glad a forensic pathologist was called in. I hope a COD will be determined.

Pennsylvania doesn't require a Grand Jury indictment for felonies which is probably why Zappala has been so outspoken in sharing some details. But if he's correct that there were no signs of exposure or ligature marks then IMO it leaves a pretty short list of COD.

I've read that sometimes faint bruising can be seen around the mouth of a child who had been smothered by a hand or pillow. There are probably other possibilities but I can't think of many right now. I hope we hear something soon!
NALANI JOHNSON: Death of child who was reported kidnapped believed to be homicide

SEP 6, 2019
Investigation into toddler's death continues
The Indiana County coroner’s office continues a study of findings from an autopsy of a Penn Hills girl, whose body was discovered Tuesday in Burrell Township, while prosecutors in Allegheny County virtually declared Thursday that Nalani Johnson was murdered, likely by the woman charged earlier this week in her abduction.

[...]
snipped
The cause and manner of Johnson’s death won’t be determined until completion of toxicology and other tests that Overman said could take six weeks or more, “which is frustration for us all.”

Overman didn’t disclose where Nalani Johnson’s body was found. He listed the “time of incident” as 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and put her time of death at 4:12 p.m.
“The expectation is that the manner of death will be homicide,” Zappala and Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty said in a joint statement publicized Thursday on social media.

Nalani Johnson would have turned 2 years old Sept. 15.
snipped for focus and BBM
Does this mean she was in the car alive at 3:30pm and dead at 4:12? How can they be that accurate - body temp? poor baby

Does this mean she was in the car alive at 3:30pm and dead at 4:12? How can they be that accurate - body temp? poor baby

That part - time of death listed on Tuesday - bothered me too, but someone upthread kindly explained that the coroner will note the time pronounced dead as the time of death for purposes of the referenced documentation. I would hope that the autopsy will provide clearer answers as to the actual time of death.

Pommy,we never heard anything from the friend/uncle last night did we?
Erin Clarke on Twitter
New details: We’re learning more about Nalani Johnson’s uncle, who was the third person in the car right before she was abducted, tonight on 11 News at 5.
5:03 PM - 5 Sep 2019

WPXI on Twitter
"No reason to lie." The friend who was in the car with Nalani Johnson's father the night she went missing explains what happened, NOW on 11 News >>> https://on.wpxi.com/watch-live
EDurMYaWkAMkeKS.jpg

5:01 PM - 5 Sep 2019

No, those times relate to the day she was found. DA Zappala said she was likely already deceased when placed in the park on Saturday (paraphrasing). MOO
Pommy,we never heard anything from the friend/uncle last night did we?
There was a link to a (live) local news broadcast but I couldn't listen to it at the time. I assumed they would follow up with an article but so far, nothing that I've seen. I would really like to hear his version of events. MOO

RE: Nalani's Uncle. It turned out to be a short written statement which the newscaster read and she also stated that Justin Rouse, the Uncle, did not want to appear on camera
The gist of the short statement was basically: Why would we lie because there is nothing to lie about and we have nothing to hide. Nalani is my niece and I love her.

Not surprising with this DA at all.

Absolutely agree.

So, what's the DA thinking? That Nayani was already deceased before Sharena was captured on video at Sheetz in Murrysville? I know he's doing his level best trying to make sure that she is charged for murder in Allegheny County.

5:00 - 911 call is made
5:13 - car spotted at Rtes 48 & 22 in Monroeville, Allegheny County
5:25 - 5:30 car/Sharena spotted at Sheetz in Murrysville, Westmoreland County
Pretty tight timeline. Would like to know where in Allegheny County the DA believes that sweet child was killed.

Just a little note, perhaps apropos to nothing but does demonstrate how close the border is to the next county - 2.4 miles up Rte 22 from 22/48 intersection is a plaza (Murrysview Shoppes): Dollar General, Bella Luna, etc. That strip mall is in Monroeville, Allegheny County. At the other end of the plaza parking lot is a Wendy's. That is in Murrysville, Westmoreland County, outside of Zappala's jurisdiction.

Map shows intersection of 22/48, then Murrysview Shoppes and finally Sheetz in Murrysville.
Google Maps

Absolutely agree.

So, what's the DA thinking? That Nayani was already deceased before Sharena was captured on video at Sheetz in Murrysville? I know he's doing his level best trying to make sure that she is charged for murder in Allegheny County.

5:00 - 911 call is made
5:13 - car spotted at Rtes 48 & 22 in Monroeville, Allegheny County
5:25 - 5:30 car/Sharena spotted at Sheetz in Murrysville, Westmoreland County
Pretty tight timeline. Would like to know where in Allegheny County the DA believes that sweet child was killed.

Just a little note, perhaps apropos to nothing but does demonstrate how close the border is to the next county - 2.4 miles up Rte 22 from 22/48 intersection is a plaza (Murrysview Shoppes): Dollar General, Bella Luna, etc. That strip mall is in Monroeville, Allegheny County. At the other end of the plaza parking lot is a Wendy's. That is in Murrysville, Westmoreland County, outside of Zappala's jurisdiction.

Map shows intersection of 22/48, then Murrysview Shoppes and finally Sheetz in Murrysville.
Google Maps

Any thoughts as to why it shouldn’t, or maybe more accurately - why they wouldn’t - want it to be charged in Allegheny County?

The kidnapping began here. SN is a resident here. The baby was a resident here. Allegheny Co has greater resources.

I know the coroner said that Nalani didn't pass from exposure. Does that automatically rule out a hot car death?

I don’t think it rules out hot car death prior to the kidnapping. I think he meant exposure to the outdoor elements in the Pine Ridge Park, and the storm.

Are you thinking hot car death while left in car in parking lot at Kennywood?

SEP 6, 2019
Investigation into toddler's death continues
The Indiana County coroner’s office continues a study of findings from an autopsy of a Penn Hills girl, whose body was discovered Tuesday in Burrell Township, while prosecutors in Allegheny County virtually declared Thursday that Nalani Johnson was murdered, likely by the woman charged earlier this week in her abduction.

[...]

The cause and manner of Johnson’s death won’t be determined until completion of toxicology and other tests that Overman said could take six weeks or more, “which is frustration for us all.”

Overman didn’t disclose where Nalani Johnson’s body was found. He listed the “time of incident” as 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and put her time of death at 4:12 p.m.

[...]

“The expectation is that the manner of death will be homicide,” Zappala and Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty said in a joint statement publicized Thursday on social media.

[...]

Zappala told Pittsburgh reporters that his office would ask to postpone a preliminary hearing now set for Sept. 16 for Nancy, who was charged with kidnapping of a minor, custodial interference and concealment of the whereabouts of a child, and move forward with court proceedings after adding a homicide charge to the case.

[...]

It remained unclear what led Nancy, whose movements Saturday were captured by cellphone data and security video, to travel Route 22 to the Pine Ridge Park area in Indiana County.

Mike Manko, a spokesman for Zappala, said he didn’t know whether Nancy had an established connection to the area or traveled through Blairsville at random.

[...]

Nalani Johnson would have turned 2 years old Sept. 15.
He means the time of death is 4:12 on the day they found her, not the day she died, right? Because 4:12 would probably be the time the coroner officially pronounced her dead?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back