GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OCT 25, 2019
NALANI JOHNSON: Woman charged with homicide in 2-year-old's death
[...]

According to the court documents, the coroner noted that there were no visible signs of trauma to Nalani's body that could have caused her death. The coroner ruled out all natural and accidental causes of death, however, saying, "Nalani was deceased when she was left in the Pine Ridge Park. (The coroner) concluded that Nalani's cause of death was homicidal violence of unknown etiology."

[...]

Police File Homicide, Abuse Of Corpse Charges Against Woman Accused In Nalani Johnson's Disappearance
[...]

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala said technology tracked Nancy’s car and phone from Penn Hills to Blairsville and back.

According to the criminal complaint, police say when they confronted Nancy about Johnson, she asked them, “Whose baby?” Then said, “It wasn’t me” before saying, “Officer, it’s not me.”

Last edited:
David Kaplan on Twitter
Bottom Line Up Front: This complaint doesn't give us any more insights into what exactly happened to Nalani Johnson. Police have indicated that Sharena Nancy was the last person with the little girl. They were able to ping her cell phone to a location in Pine Ridge Park...
EHwB6GfXYAA3j5x.png

4:21 PM - 25 Oct 2019

David Kaplan on Twitter
In the rest of the complaint, police paint a picture of Nancy as being unreliable, as telling stories that were false or disprovable according to police. #WTAE
4:30 PM - 25 Oct 2019

If you are breaking up with your lover, why bring your child and a friend along? Nothing makes much sense. I wonder if we'll ever know what really happened.

As for the abrasions on the child's face, could they be fingernail marks where someone held her face in order to put something poisonous in her mouth?

If you are breaking up with your lover, why bring your child and a friend along? Nothing makes much sense. I wonder if we'll ever know what really happened.

As for the abrasions on the child's face, could they be fingernail marks where someone held her face in order to put something poisonous in her mouth?
:( Sounds possible poor baby!!

How can there be a determination of "homicidal violence" with no cause of death, just "small abrasions" on Nalani's face?

How can one person be charged with murder when there's no real time of death. Saturday, Aug 31st - but when?

IF Nalani was already deceased before Sharena took off with her, is that kidnapping?

In the end, the only thing the DA may be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt against Sharena, if there is a jury whose members are looking for truth and justice and not revenge, is Abuse of a Corpse, a second degree misdemeanor.

.(6) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding two years, or both.
Title 30

Paul Martino/KDKA said in his live broadcast that they are still waiting on the toxocology report. But I'm with you. If it was something that Nalani ingested shortly before death (and possibly causing death) you'd think they'd be able to identify the substance.
Punjab immigrant to Canada Sukhwinder Dhillon was murdering people around him for insurance money. An insurance adjuster noticed his somewhat unusual name pop up as a life insurance payee more than once spawning the investigation of this serial murderer. He got away with it for sometime because Canadian toxicology panels did not look for the poison he used on his victims, a poison he flew to India to purchase.
Hamilton serial killer Sukhwinder Dhillon dies in prison

There is a book (Poison:From Steeltown to the Punjab) and a Bollywood movie about the case, as well as an episode of The New Detectives (season 9 Silent Killers). iirc from the episode, the poison caused heart attacks, and the deaths in Canada were originally deemed natural causes, allowing Dhillon to collect large insurance payouts without initial suspicion.

I'm just reading along here on NJ's terrible case, but I had wondered before if this is what SN used, a very unusual foreign poison. News today that NJ did have some yellow substance in her stomach not readily identified by the coroner just reminded me of the Dhillon case again. I had previously hesitated to post about Dhillon because I would never want to distract from NJ's thread, but I am wondering even more strongly now if SN had knowledge of and access to a difficult to detect poison.

Punjab immigrant to Canada Sukhwinder Dhillon was murdering people around him for insurance money. An insurance adjuster noticed his somewhat unusual name pop up as a life insurance payee more than once spawning the investigation of this serial murderer. He got away with it for sometime because Canadian toxicology panels did not look for the poison he used on his victims, a poison he flew to India to purchase.

There is a book (Poison:From Steeltown to the Punjab) and a Bollywood movie about the case, as well as an episode of The New Detectives (season 9 Silent Killers). iirc from the episode, the poison caused heart attacks, and the deaths in Canada were originally deemed natural causes, allowing Dhillon to collect large insurance payouts without initial suspicion.

I'm just reading along here on NJ's terrible case, but I had wondered before if this is what SN used, a very unusual foreign poison. News today that NJ did have some yellow substance in her stomach not readily identified by the coroner just reminded me of the Dhillon case again. I had previously hesitated to post about Dhillon because I would never want to distract from NJ's thread, but I am wondering even more strongly now if SN had knowledge of and access to a difficult to detect poison.
Oh WOW!! I’ve not heard of that! It could def be a possibility here in Nalani’s case! MOO

They were at Kennywood that day. I wonder if the "yellowish substance" in Nalani's stomach could've been the cornbread coating from one of Kennywood's famous corn dogs. But you'd think Dr Whaley or Coroner Overman would have figured that out.
jmo

A few possibilities

1. Nalani consumed the yellow substance earlier in the day, either by accidentally ingesting something she found or someone gave it to her. Possible none of the adults even knew she consumed it if she found it in a home or at the carnival/fair they went to (Kennywood? My cases are blurring)

2. Someone gave the yellow substance to nalani in the car. When dad and uncle exited, nalani was alive but died soon after. Nancy may or may not have known about this. She may have thought nalani just randomly died? but then why leave her body in the park and not call 911?

3. nancy gave her the yellow substance after the dad and uncle got out of the car, knowing it would poison/kill her quickly. do we know for sure what she bought at sheetz? Could it have been a small bottle of chemicals like antifreeze, engine fluids/chems, do they sell pesticides?

4. the yellow substance is not related to nalani’s death. i think this is least likely because then it would have to be a relatively normal thing to find in the stomach. Fair food, juice, candy, etc, are things the ME would have no problem identifying.

I don't think he planned to break up with her at that time. This is my speculative scenario:

She was an über driver, and I think she did drive him around, as a favour sometimes.

I think he was already cooling things off between them, and she was more into their relationship than he was. But for some reason, I am not sure how, he ended up getting a ride in her vehicle, with his friend and baby. I don't think he planned to have a deep discussion , he just needed a ride somewhere?

But as women tend to do, she may have forced the discussion on him. " what's going on with us, why haven't you called me, or answered my texts?' Things got awkward fast.

At some point he says 'we will get out here, I'll talk to you later' or something like that, maybe even harsher ....she is angry and upset...

as he steps out to go around to the other side, to get the car seat out, she accelerates and is gone?

How can there be a determination of "homicidal violence" with no cause of death, just "small abrasions" on Nalani's face?

How can one person be charged with murder when there's no real time of death. Saturday, Aug 31st - but when?

IF Nalani was already deceased before Sharena took off with her, is that kidnapping?

In the end, the only thing the DA may be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt against Sharena, if there is a jury whose members are looking for truth and justice and not revenge, is Abuse of a Corpse, a second degree misdemeanor.

.(6) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding two years, or both.
Title 30
Perhaps they are taking the words of the 2 occupants in the car that the baby was fine when they stepped out , and were about to take her out of the carseat.

If they had killed her themselves, I don't understand why she would have driven away with a dead or dying baby and leave her in a park. Why not call 911 or speed to a hospital with her, and tell them the father killed his baby?

Unless I hear a good motive for that man killing his baby, right then, in front of 2 witnesses, after a visit to the fair, I am going to think she was the one with the motive, not him.

I'm glad you brought this up! I've never heard of this case, but it certainly is interesting in how it was tracked to India so he could purchase it.

I think the ME is waiting for the toxicology report to come back to see if they can identify the yellow substance in her stomach. Poor little darling, I hope they find answers as to what caused her death and the person(s) responsible get locked up for life. I still shudder at the thoughts of her being all alone in that park- deceased or not, she was just a baby! She didn't deserve this.

Title 30
Question: if the baby was already dead, why did she stop at a convenience store and act normal, as if nothing was wrong? If a man had just killed his child and the dead body was in her car, why stop and get something at a minimart? It seems pretty callous, and not very victim like behaviour, in my opinion.

Why didnt she call 911 immediately and report the death of the child?

Question: if the baby was already dead, why did she stop at a convenience store and act normal, as if nothing was wrong? If a man had just killed his child and the dead body was in her car, why stop and get something at a minimart? It seems pretty callous, and not very victim like behaviour, in my opinion.

Why didnt she call 911 immediately and report the death of the child?

Maybe she needed gas for that car on the surveillance video that is not the same car she was driving when she was stopped on Rodi Road.

Has anyone seen any pics from the Sheetz cameras that have actual time stamps on them?

Also wondering if there's any video from Kennywood showing the four of them there earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Maybe she needed gas for that car on the surveillance video that is not the same car she was driving when she was stopped on Rodi Road.

Has anyone seen any pics from the Sheetz cameras that have actual time stamps on them?

Also wondering if there's any video from Kennywood showing the four of them there earlier in the day.
So she just dumps the baby's body off at a park and then goes to get gas?

So she just dumps the baby's body off at a park and then goes to get gas?

I'm guessing that if she needed gas, she would have stopped at Sheetz on the way to Blairsville. But that's just a guess since there's no timestamp on the security video pics released to the media.

Title 30

Breaking: allegheny district attorney talks about kidnapping and death of toddler. Says evidence reveals that woman who abducted child was only person involved in toddler’s death. Details at 5 #wpxi
EDtzxMxWsAEf-GL.jpg

12:57 PM - 5 Sep 2019

Rick Earle on Twitter
DA says child was found deceased and still buckled in car seat. He suspect child was killed prior to being dropped off at remote wooded area near Blairsville. #wpxi
1:03 PM - 5 Sep 2019

John Shumway on Twitter
Allegheny County DA Stephen Zappala Jr believes Sharena Nancy acted alone in the death of toddler Nalani Johnson. Homicide charge will come when autopsy results are complete. The DA says Nalani was found still strapped in her car seat in an upright position. More @KDKA 5 & 6.
1:21 PM - 5 Sep 2019

For some reason, unknown to us still, the DA believe es they have evidence to show that Sharena was solely responsible for the child's death.

I wish we knew what that evidence was. I do have faith that there is such evidence however. Why wouldn't they go after the father and his friend if there was any evidence they were involved?

I'm guessing that if she needed gas, she would have stopped at Sheetz on the way to Blairsville. But that's just a guess since there's no timestamp on the security video pics released to the media.

The main question is, aside from the gas, why would she leave a dead baby in a park, if she was not involved in her death? I can't come up with a good explanation for that.

Title 30
I think the ME can use information from LE to help determine whether a death was accidental or a homicide. Defense can dispute it during trial of course. MOO.

I think if the DA can make a compelling case of kidnapping due to the cell phone pings tracing Nancy to the park where Nalani's body was found combined with two witness statements saying she was alive when Nancy took off in the car then there may be cause to charge felony murder. IOW, Nalani died during a felony - kidnapping. The defense would have to show evidence that Nalani was dead when Nancy took off and I don't see that happening. JMOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back