Found Deceased PA - Paul Kochu, 22, Allegheny County, 17 Dec 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Our society does not address alcohol use well at all. My college was a dry campus yet it still was one of the state's top party schools. It's like teaching abstinence and teen pregnancy. One night can change your entire life. Kids don't realize ALL the consequences. Our culture is also going in the direction of "work hard, party hard." I notice with my own friends, there is no in between. I can't remember the last time my friends just wanted to have one drink and go home. It's why I don't go out anymore.

Paul had everything going for him, he had a few days off, the game was on. What happened next?

Shane hit home for me. I've been in that area. The water is so close. You don't even have to be drunk to end up in the drink there. There's a parking lot across fro. Kildare's. Years ago, a guy hit the gas instead of the brakes and ended up too close to the water for comfort. Thank goodness they put up a fence.

Gotcha. I thought you might be hinting, but wasn't sure. I think there is a lt of merit to what you say. When I was in my 20's, I remember drinking and driving was very common, and to a degree, socially acceptable. Not smashed drunk, but definitely buzzed driving. I think the anti drunk driving campaign has definitely worked to some degree. Perhaps they need to have a campaign on not being alone and drunk. Hannah Graham and Morgan Harrington come to mind.

Is there a specific quote in MSM from the roommates that state the roommates had an argument with Paul?

IMOO.

What if - The argument was with others at the bar or even bar management? Perhaps thrown out due to intoxication?
What if - "emotional" = angry
What if - Paul was headed back to the bar for a confrontation? (Yes, I know the bar was closed, so this would be unreasonable. But what drunk person do you know who is reasonable?)

I just want to pose this question. How many young people can you think of, in the near recent past, who have died after a night out drinking in an area near a form of water? I can think offhand of at least 4-5 in the past 3 years.

And how many go into that water at a time of year when alcohol combined with cold water will kill them quicker than anyone realizes?

I don't bring this up for any other reason than it is such a common occurrence. And, I don't say this to point towards any other cause than poor judgement. Today's young people seem to underestimate the power of alcohol and the effects it has on one. Is it because drinking to excess is so commonplace to them? Does our culture encourage it?

I can think of half a dozen in the Boston area. At least two were caught on video going into the water (no smileyface killers involved) and in one case, in winter, rescuers were there within five minutes but weren't able to find the body until it surfaced some distance away when the harbor waters warmed up in the spring.

In reviewing Paul's SM, I noticed that he was a baseball player at one time. I would bet he had a baseball bat lying around the house somewhere. If there was some type of altercation, a bat would be a handy weapon. I just watched a story on the ID channel where a soldier was killed by another soldier with a baseball bat after a night of drinking. I don't think that's what happened, but who knows?

I can think of half a dozen in the Boston area. At least two were caught on video going into the water (no smileyface killers involved) and in one case, in winter, rescuers were there within five minutes but weren't able to find the body until it surfaced some distance away when the harbor waters warmed up in the spring.

I suspect that what fuels the Smiley Face Killer theory is that it is very difficult for families to accept the idea of their loved one committing suicide or that they would be so incapicated for an accident to occur. They are trying to find an alternative explanation to something that they can not come to grips with.

This entire case is one of the most frustrating I've been involved with. Especially since this happened 10 minutes from my house, and given how busy the South side is. I just don't understand the lack of coverage. The lack of details.

I'm also not sure why I am so reluctant to think he is in the water, but I just am. To me, given this particular person, it just seems so unlikely. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry, but something was clearly wrong and I don't believe that the hand injury is the issue.

Oddly enough, given that there hasn't been a discovery, the thing that makes the most sense to me is some kind of abduction. Maybe Paul willingly accepted a ride from someone due to his state. They may have saw him as an easy target?

Also... He had his keys with him. To me that says he has intention to return to his residence.

This entire case is one of the most frustrating I've been involved with. Especially since this happened 10 minutes from my house, and given how busy the South side is. I just don't understand the lack of coverage. The lack of details.

I'm also not sure why I am so reluctant to think he is in the water, but I just am. To me, given this particular person, it just seems so unlikely. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry, but something was clearly wrong and I don't believe that the hand injury is the issue.

Oddly enough, given that there hasn't been a discovery, the thing that makes the most sense to me is some kind of abduction. Maybe Paul willingly accepted a ride from someone due to his state. They may have saw him as an easy target?

Definitely frustrating and I agree with the lack of details. I wish we could hear more from the roommates. BTW, whatever happened to groovy girl? She posted a lot on the first thread and seemed to be close to the situation. I got the sense she knew the roommates, if I remember correctly.

I don't buy the Smiley Face Killer either. I was trying to hint at that in my post, but not come right out and say it.

Shane Montgomery hit home for me as 1) I was originally from that area and 2) at least two of my kids have lived in that area and frequented the bars there as well as some of my nephews. Sarah Majoras hit home for me because I frequented New Hope as a teenager and young adult.

I am the parent/ stepparent to 3 twenty-somethings and have 12 nieces and nephews all in that age group. Out of the 15 of them, at least 3 have had either underaged charges or DUIs. I would bet that every one of them has participated in drinking to excess at some point. Please don't get me wrong- these are kids that are educated, intelligent, and usually responsible. A couple have attended huge party schools, where alcohol consumption, even underaged, is common.

Part of me wonders if they become numb to the possibilities of what could happen to them while drinking to excess. As a society, we drove home the results of drinking and driving. So, if they don't drive, they are safe, right? WRONG!

Most of these cases seem to happen when 1) it is younger people, for the most part under the age of 30, 2) they have been out for an evening of drinking and are intoxicated, and 3) they are alone. I can't think of a single incident of where it has happened in a group setting!
4) They are on foot, also.

So many missing young men. Getting word right now near my area a Kutztown PA 24 year old man from Hellertown PA has gone missing. Last seen leaving Kutztown Pub 6:30 PM
How does a thread get started?

So many missing young men. Getting word right now near my area a Kutztown PA 24 year old man from Hellertown PA has gone missing. Last seen leaving Kutztown Pub 6:30 PM

Sorry Heart, I don't know how to start a thread. Can you let us know when a thread is started for him? Interestingly, I just googled missing man in Hellertown and found a case from 2013 where a missing 38 y/o man was missing. He was found in Grist Mill Pond and it was ruled accidental drowning.

Sorry Heart, I don't know how to start a thread. Can you let us know when a thread is started for him? Interestingly, I just googled missing man in Hellertown and found a case from 2013 where a missing 38 y/o man was missing. He was found in Grist Mill Pond and it was ruled accidental drowning.

Also... He had his keys with him. To me that says he has intention to return to his residence.

Good point, he did have his keys with him. If did set off to hurt himself, why take your keys? Unless it was just force of habit. Shane also had his keys with him, but then again I'm not convinced that Shane hurt himself. I'm not sure any of us really knows what happened to that boy. :(

Believe me, I am not suggesting that this had anything to do with the SFK, and some of you may think that is all nonsense. But for those of you that are relatively new to this topic, and if you have some time, just read up on some of the cases. A lot have taken place in the heartland. Most were college students who were out drinking for the night at a bar with friends. And, in many cases, they were mysteriously asked to leave the bar for no apparent reason (this one reminds me of Shane). This caused separation from friends. A lot of them called their friends inside the bars and set up a meet up point for when they left. They were all found in a body of water. In many cases, the body of water was not along a path they would have taken home or to meet their separated friends. And of course, a good number of them had a smiley face drawn on something nearby.
It's actually very fascinating and at the very least, creepy. Last I read, they were up to a count of almost 50. And some say even higher. Two retired NYPD detectives have dedicated themselves to investigating and researching, so that would probably be the best source to read if you are interested. Again, just a suggestion.

Why is it always water?!? This young man is from Hellertown, PA. He went missing from Kutztown Pub in Kutztown. I am assuming he is a college student at Kutztown University, a popular college choice for many kids from this area.

Water a few block from where he was last seen.

Sorry to interrupt this thread. Once one is up, I'll post a link. Hopefully he is found before a post goes up!!

I haven't been following this case super closely, but I saw on the family's Find Paul facebook page today that they thanked the Allegheny Mountain Rescue team for searching. The post says, "we are scared but would like the truth." They didn't say where they searched and I guess it doesn't have to be in the mountains....but I'm wondering - is there reason to believe he would flee to the woods/mountains/just away?

Sorry, I know this is random. I will catch up on the posts on both threads this afternoon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back