PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noting this UID male. FWIW.
Ws thread..
PA - Male, 30-60, Lower Chanceford Township, near Susquehanna River, 14 July 2013 * Parabon initiative*
Sept 18 2020
Unsolved mysteries in Pennsylvania: John Doe in Lower Windsor Township
''The hikers were walking in dense woods about a half mile south of Route 372 in Lower Chanceford Township, not far from the Susquehanna River, on July 14, 2013, when they came across something that looked odd.''

''The case of the partial human remains found in Lower Chanceford Township is considered what’s called an “equivocal death.”

“It’s not exactly a homicide. But yet, it’s not a natural death, either,” he said. “So we’re kind of in the middle, in limbo, not knowing.”

''The University of North Texas Center for Human Identification, he said, determined through DNA that the bones belonged to a man and uploaded the profile into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS.

The man was between the ages of 30 to 60 — but that’s give or take 10 years, Roberts said''

RSBM

Since Ray Gricar's DNA is available and because his is such a high-profile case, I'm thinking he's been looked at and ruled out.

From an article on Feb 20, 2018:

Colarusso said the case immediately became a homicide investigation. He sifted through more than 200 missing persons cases in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware, and has narrowed that search to 20. But none of those 20 have DNA on file.
State police are working with other agencies, hoping to collect DNA from the family members of those 20 missing men who have not yet been ruled out.

Dismembered remains found in 2013 still not identified

Although it is unlikely that the UID male is RG, just noting that at this time, they have been unable to extract his DNA. imo speculation.

Unsolved mysteries in Pennsylvania: John Doe in Lower Windsor Township
''The DNA obtained from the bones is degraded, so police are waiting to hear if that can be done in this case.''

Also from that article:
The University of North Texas Center for Human Identification, he said, determined through DNA that the bones belonged to a man and uploaded the profile into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS.

This sounds much like Beth Doe. Her DNA was extracted in 2007 and uploaded into CODIS but the DNA is degraded for the purpose of genetic genealogy. It is currently at a lab that is attempting to develop DNA suitable for that purpose.
Sounds like the same issue with the Lower Chanceford UID.

Sorry for being absent. I am swamped at work, guess they want to take as much advantage of my skills as possible before I retire in Sept 2021. Also been working on a local case with what little time I have. Hopefully early next year I can dig into this again and use a real mini on the actual bridge. Already used a mini to take the measurements. Will look for pictures of the tree lines. I have walked the entire area on both sides of the river and the tree line along the river on the far side is very open with most of the undergrowth cut down for some sort of use by a business or locals.

are there any small plane landing strips nearby Lewisburg?

Fairfield Farm Airfield near Pine Grove, Fox Hollow Airport and Sauers Haven Field near Winfield are the only small airfields near Lewisburg. This may not take into account small personal air strips on farms and other large properties.

The nearest large airports to Lewisburg-PA-USA is Williamsport (IPT) Airport which is 19.6 miles away, State College (SCE) (51.4 miles), Harrisburg (MDT) (53.8 miles), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AVP) (65.7 miles) and Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) (79.3 miles).

thanks, any take offs late in the day from nearby? I know you know! HA! just wondering..could he disguise himself and take a flight somewhere..I know he's not James Bond..but...

mOO.

Possible RG still alive and communicated as much to daughter so she at least knows. I never like to assume to much but you would figure LE would circle back around from time to time to see if there has been any contact. Would she keep that secret if her father asked her to?

Possible RG still alive and communicated as much to daughter so she at least knows. I never like to assume to much but you would figure LE would circle back around from time to time to see if there has been any contact. Would she keep that secret if her father asked her to?

It's such a small world these days I find it hard to believe he'd be off the radar so completely after all these years, especially since it was dealt with as a "missing person" case.

It is possible, certainly.

After RFG was declared dead, she was one of his heirs, so there would be a financial motive not to tell.

I wonder if RFG had any friends who were private pilots?

Sloan was in the Air Force, but not a flyer. I cannot find anything indicated that his other close friend, Walker, is a pilot.

That said, I'm sure he would have known someone that was a pilot.

Flying out of Lewisburg would create a problem. There is only one airfield in the immediate area, Fox Hollow Airport -3PA6. It is an emergency field that consists of a grassy field and a wind sock.

It is abuts the Penitentiary grounds. A plane landing there would, no doubt, have attracted the attention of the corrections officers. No lights for a night landing.

Last edited:
That is why I used someone born in 1945. :) We cannot say, definitely, that RFG reach the age of 65.

Just so we are on the same page I quoted the article below. Someone who is 65 in 2012 is "expected" to live to 84.3. That person would have been born in 1947 I think two years after Ray. As far as if and when he died we have no idea. He may not have even reached 60, but if he was murdered or committed suicide then that goes against dying of old age.

"Infants born in 2012 are expected to live to age 78.8, while those who reached age 65 in 2012 are expected to live another 19.3 years to age 84.3."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member