PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, former district attorney, Bellefonte, 15 Apr 2005 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
might not be criminal necessarily..as in like ongoing white collar crime..

but maybe other things,
like speeding, like a secret life, like getting busted in a park or being outed in a gay bar or affairs people turn a blind eye to. maybe he has propositioned women making them uncomfortable, maybe he got in a sting situation as a john. maybe cops had been called to his home before...maybe he was flat out running around town making a fool out of Patti Fornicola....and no one wants to say...which is why ship like this gets covered up to begin with.

so many options for why they don't release this information ..if it's all small change personal stuff or stuff that would embarrass the county, well then let's keep it out of the story..but if it's significant
and something on felony level...it's a whole nuther ball of wax.
gambling in an illegal way, grift, graft, high level collusion..reminds me of ex gov blago in that he was only playing politics as usual and he had a big mouth..he knew better but ended in prison. Like you say some garbage is bound to take place in job like his. It's almost a requirement that you are willing to play whatever cards get thrown at you.

that said, personal problems could indeed still be the root of this.

all speculation. mOO

things that don't show up in financials that don't exist because no one knows what Ray did with his money...

If he were buying drugs or gambling, there would be a lot of cash transactions. He only had about $16 K over a 2.5 year period.

In other words, yes, I had the same thoughts as you and checked it out. :)

yeah 16 K in legit cash. uh huh. because he obviously was keeping a separate stash of cash. Anyone who pays cash for stuff like cars and houses with no outstanding obligations..likes cash..pure and simple..clean cold cash..no financing no tracing, no 3rd party.

this is somewhat eccentric and while I admire it at the same time
it points to something in Ray's character..a certain gravitas, a certain secretiveness.. It's funny for someone who is a prosecutor for the state to be bureau-phobic and to appear to not spend more than 1200 a month on food, entertainment , clothing, travel, household repairs, pets, hobbies, gas , utilities, cable , internet.

I know groceries for 2 can exceed 600.00 alone..

these people are just weird....the whole thing is weird and Ray is obviously a WEIRDO...

also a massive flirt and ladies man... men don't get this moniker for no reason..if he is a known ladies man he is very much desirable and may have a reputation. For other men to call him a ladies man , that is more than just his attractiveness being noted by other men..in his circles I think it means more than that.

mOO

Snipped for emphasis.

this is somewhat eccentric and while I admire it at the same time
it points to something in Ray's character..a certain gravitas, a certain secretiveness.. It's funny for someone who is a prosecutor for the state to be bureau-phobic and to appear to not spend more than 1200 a month on food, entertainment , clothing, travel, household repairs, pets, hobbies, gas , utilities, cable , internet.

I know groceries for 2 can exceed 600.00 alone..

Remember two very important things.

1. RFG shared household expenses with PEF. Her salary was lower, but it still has to be added into the mix.

2. Something costing $600 today, only cost $413.02 in 2005. Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2022 His $129 K salary in 2005 would by the same as $187,400.74 today.

I guess there is the potential that what was on the laptop was correspondence with one or more love interests and why it was not on the home computer for PF to find. If that love interest were married, I could see where this could go South very badly, notably if the interest became pregnant or there was an illegitimate child involved. RG may have been given an offer he could not refuse.

Snipped for emphasis.

Remember two very important things.

1. RFG shared household expenses with PEF. Her salary was lower, but it still has to be added into the mix.

2. Something costing $600 today, only cost $413.02 in 2005. Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2022 His $129 K salary in 2005 would by the same as $187,400.74 today.

Is it a fact that PF shared expenses with RG or is it a supposition? If it is a fact, may I be pointed to a MSM link or database for I'd like to read the details within? It is not that I doubt your recollection. I feel you are WS's RG yet to be verified case expert.

If RG was truly a lady's man, would he ask PF for X # of dollars so the electric bill could be paid?

What other vehicle did the two of them possess other than the red Mini Cooper? Was the Mini Cooper's title in his name or in that of PF's? Standing at 6' that's not the most comfortable car for someone of that height to drive.

There were searches on the home computer seeking how to wreck a hard drive and how to fry a hard drive. Then, RGs computer was found destroyed in the Susquehanna River. Apparently, there was data on it that he did not want made available to anyone, especially the authorities.

I've always thought the work computer contained evidence about an investigation related to JSandusky as the reason for that destruction. I shall place possible contacts with lovers as a last consideration. However, if one is contemplating suicide, would one really care if the world discovered that he was communicating with other females? OTOH, a sensitive investigation could be a strong probability for wrecking his laptop's hard drive.

RG decided to play hooky from work that fateful Spring day. Was it super uncommon for him to miss work? It's possible he had decided it was time for the swirling thoughts in his head, whatever they were, to stop. What I cannot see happening is Ray walking away to start a new life knowing the anguish it would cause his lovely daughter, Lara, that he'd have to deal with day in and day out. I believe he offed himself in order to stop the feelings of lack of hope and could not see a light at the end of the tunnel due to untreated depression. His brother suffered severe depression. Maybe Ray preferred to hide his own pain.

"Nine months from retirement, DA RG was feeling extremely fatigued, taking naps after work or even at lunchtime, his girlfriend said. She suggested he see a doctor."
PF “had encouraged Gricar to seek a medical examination for any possible medical or mental conditions that may need attention,” according to court papers. For three weeks, he had been complaining of fatigue.

Missing DA: Is it foul play or did he commit suicide?

respectfully, mvhoo - with full names redacted from the news article

Here is my thought on the computer and hard drive.
If PF was concerned about work contents, he'd likely know the agency would professionally wipe the computer before disposing of it, and probably even before turning it over to him as surplus property. So that makes me think there was something that was not work related that he wanted to hide on the computer.
Of course, someone else may have had an interest in destroying the computer, but then why was Ray looking up how to do this? Unless he shared that info with someone else who would be harmed by what the computer contained?

Snipped for brevity.

Is it a fact that PF shared expenses with RG or is it a supposition? If it is a fact, may I be pointed to a MSM link or database for I'd like to read the details within? It is not that I doubt your recollection. I feel you are WS's RG yet to be verified case expert.

If RG was truly a lady's man, would he ask PF for X # of dollars so the electric bill could be paid?

There was never any statement that RFG paid the bills, though he did pay off the mortgage. That was in the police report.

What other vehicle did the two of them possess other than the red Mini Cooper? Was the Mini Cooper's title in his name or in that of PF's? Standing at 6' that's not the most comfortable car for someone of that height to drive.

PEF had her own car, I think a Subaru. The Mini is actually quite roomy, especially headroom. It had more headspace than my Dodge Avenger.

There were searches on the home computer seeking how to wreck a hard drive and how to fry a hard drive. Then, RGs computer was found destroyed in the Susquehanna River. Apparently, there was data on it that he did not want made available to anyone, especially the authorities.

I've always thought the work computer contained evidence about an investigation related to JSandusky as the reason for that destruction. I shall place possible contacts with lovers as a last consideration. However, if one is contemplating suicide, would one really care if the world discovered that he was communicating with other females? OTOH, a sensitive investigation could be a strong probability for wrecking his laptop's hard drive.

First, he had talked to the public defender, Lux, about cleaning the laptop in 2004. He had also purchased software to do it. This was not spur of the moment.

Second, RFG did not have this computer in 1998. He got it at some point after 2002. The 1998 police report was faxed to the DA's Office. If RFG had it on his computer, he would have had to have scanned the hard copy of the fax into his laptop. Since the fax was not on file in 2011, he would likely had to destroy it. Likewise, he would have had to chosen not to make a hard or digital copy, even one on his office computer.

There are many hypotheticals on Ray’s motive to walk off, but let’s think about the most likely motives.

4. He’s secretly a pedophile and runs off somewhere more pedophile friendly. Or maybe thinks someone is on to him and wants to get out before he gets caught. I actually think this is the most likely walk off motive. There’s nothing pointing to Ray being a ped, but then again aren’t most ped discoveries plagued by friends snd family saying “

Do you or anyone else know how many individuals Ray charged with child sex abuse/pedophilia during his time in Centre County?

Do you or anyone else know how many individuals Ray charged with child sex abuse/pedophilia during his time in Centre County?

No. I will note that, after the state-wide grand jury report, turning a blind eye was not uncommon. It was the idea of not ruining the perpetrator's reputation, especially if it would reflect badly on the institution employing the perpetrator. We saw this repeatedly with the Catholic Church.

It doesn't. RFG did not move to the county until 7/79 and I don't believe he started at the DA's Office until 80 or 81. Grine, the DA that prosecuted Hodne, hired RFG.

He is also the Grine from the Fenton sighting.

Interesting to hear from Grine. I don't believe he said anything on the Sandusky case when reporters were running everything down 10 years ago. This in spite of it being his ruling that put Matt into Sandusky's home where he was subsequently abused. Remarkable we don't have any reasoning or defense from him about this.

Interesting to hear from Grine. I don't believe he said anything on the Sandusky case when reporters were running everything down 10 years ago. This in spite of it being his ruling that put Matt into Sandusky's home where he was subsequently abused. Remarkable we don't have any reasoning or defense from him about this.

Grine became a judge in 1981, IIRC. The Sandusky incident that went to the DA's Office was in 1998. I am not sure of what Grine did in regard to Matt, but he would be relying on the county DHS for information, and possibly on Matt's testimony.

You bring up an interesting question. I do not know what Ray’s track record was on prosecuting pedophiles, but we do know that Ray chose not to charge Sandusky in ‘98. It’s possible that Ray had a soft spot for Peds and went light on them or didn’t charge them. We would need information on other cases to know that better. Very likely that his decision not to charge Sandusky was for some reason other than having a soft spot for Peds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper