PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, former district attorney, Bellefonte, 15 Apr 2005 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the opposite of what I said.

The computer searches were made prior to 4/15 but were not discovered until after the Mini was discovered.

Pardon, but I still don't understand how that means that Ray probably didn't do that search for directions to Lewisburg? Was it a shared computer, so other people could have done that search?

Are you saying Ray did do the search? Why would he need to search for directions to Lewisburg at any time when he already knew how to get there? He had traveled there frequently in the past.

Pardon, but I still don't understand how that means that Ray probably didn't do that search for directions to Lewisburg? Was it a shared computer, so other people could have done that search?

Are you saying Ray did do the search? Why would he need to search for directions to Lewisburg at any time when he already knew how to get there? He had traveled there frequently in the past.
My understanding is that it was office computer. The search was done earlier in the week, when RFG was in the office. The computer was password protected.

I'm fairly sure he did the search for the route. I suspect that he was checking the time it would take someone else to get to, or from, Lewisburg.

RFG knew how to get to Lewisburg, so he did not need the map for his own directions. He also knew how long it would normally take him to drive that route.

Directions from Bellefonte, via 192, are easy. They are, without looking:

1. Drive down 144 until you get to Centre Hall.
2. In Centre Hall, turn left at the traffic light.
3. Stay on that road until you get to Lewisburg.

In other words, he didn't need MapQuest to give someone else directions.

He could have wanted to check the mileage. He could use that for compensation or tax deduction, if this was a business trip. There is no indication that it was.

RFG was known as a "adventurous" driver. He liked to drive fast, and he might not be ticketed as readily as someone not in LE. Many other people drive more slowly, in part because they don't want to be ticked.

My theory is that RFG wanted to see how long it would take someone driving under the speed limit to get to Lewisburg, or from Lewisburg back to Centre County.

Whomever was trying to make his disappearance/murder look like suicide. Sorry to be vague, but I'm not sure.

Had he walked away and started a new life, with new technology and tools LE has today, he probably would have been identified/found.

The detailed descriptions of witnesses who saw him parked and walking around near the Packwood House Museum make it sound like he was waiting and looking for someone.

Street view of Packwood House Museum

PennLive Map of Lewisburg, PA and locations where Ray was seen and where his car was found.

Both of those witnesses, who worked for the museum, were very credible and consistent. The red Mini Cooper was a distinctive car and there weren't many around.

Some have speculated that Ray was still investigating the Jerry Sandusky case and was possibly meeting with other witnesses in that case. He handled a lot of cases over the years, though.
The way people have tried to connect Ray's disappearance to the Sandusky case is pure idiocy, but he could have been set up for a hit. It would be far more likely to have something to do with drug dealing or organized crime of some sort.

I still see suicide as the most likely scenario.

He might also have been having some mid-life crisis that led to some kind of sexual activity that went awry.

Here in Detroit a year or two ago, a local celebrity chef was murdered and dumped. His body was found by chance; he just as easily might not have been found if the perps had gone to a little more effort. He was shot and killed by an underage prostitute's pimp during an argument over whether he would have to wear a condom.

Years ago, we had a case where a prominent psychiatrist got involved with a young woman and her boyfriend/handler/pimp, and they killed him and cut off his head and hands and dumped his body. If they had buried him instead, he never would have been found. (I don't think anyone ever found his head and hands.)

The way people have tried to connect Ray's disappearance to the Sandusky case is pure idiocy, but he could have been set up for a hit. It would be far more likely to have something to do with drug dealing or organized crime of some sort.

He might also have been having some mid-life crisis that led to some kind of sexual activity that went awry.

Here in Detroit a year or two ago, a local celebrity chef was murdered and dumped. His body was found by chance; he just as easily might not have been found if the perps had gone to a little more effort. He was shot and killed by an underage prostitute's pimp during an argument over whether he would have to wear a condom.

Years ago, we had a case where a prominent psychiatrist got involved with a young woman and her boyfriend/handler/pimp, and they killed him and cut off his head and hands and dumped his body. If they had buried him instead, he never would have been found. (I don't think anyone ever found his head and hands.)

I realize the Jerry Sandusky investigation is the popular theory, but I'm keeping an open mind. I agree, it could have been any number of other cases that could have caused Ray to be targeted.

It sounds like Ray was a very busy guy, a workaholic, so to speak. He often worked 70 hour weeks

He took the DA's job from part time to full time with a staff of 17 people, so over the years, he was uncovering a lot of criminal activity. Things had probably been quiet there before, which seems a little odd for a college town. He may have upset some people by making the DA's office more active.

The long work weeks probably didn't leave a lot of time for extracurricular activities.

He had too many other projects on the burner in the coming year to have been considering suicide. His finances were healthy and he had good relationships with his loved ones. LE fully investigated his finances, work, etc. and found everything fine.

Also, remember LE tracked his movements to just outside of his car. It appeared he got out of his car and into another. Not a likely scenario for suicide.

Last edited:
The long work weeks probably didn't leave a lot of time for extracurricular activities.
Snipped for emphasis.

Between 1/2001 and c. 12/2003, RFG divorced a wife, asked a waitress to marry, and moved in with his girlfriend; these are just the ones we know about. "Workaholic" would not be how I'd describe RFG.

Also, remember LE tracked his movements to just outside of his car. It appeared he got out of his car and into another. Not a likely scenario for suicide.
Snipped.

Where is the information coming from that he got into another car? I don't remember hearing that.

Ray's disappearance could very well be related to the Sandusky situation but have nothing to do with any kind of hit or foul play.

It might help to broaden the possibilities of what was going on in the football program.

Ray's disappearance could very well be related to the Sandusky situation but have nothing to do with any kind of hit or foul play.

It might help to broaden the possibilities of what was going on in the football program.

Interesting. I don't follow sports much, so what other ways could that be connected to his disappearance?

Interesting. I don't follow sports much, so what other ways could that be connected to his disappearance?
He may have discovered other things going on in the football program aside from just Sandusky.Perhaps it was too much for him to take on but too risky to ignore and he decided to disappear.

He may have discovered other things going on in the football program aside from just Sandusky.Perhaps it was too much for him to take on but too risky to ignore and he decided to disappear.

It would have been LE that was doing the discovery. RFG was not an investigating DA.

The only way that this would been a motive for disappearing is if he was paid off. After all this time, there is zero evidence he was ever bribed.

Nobody has ever asked, "Where did Ray Gricar get all this money?" The reason is that, based on his income there was not a lot of money there. He did not live above his means,

It would have been LE that was doing the discovery. RFG was not an investigating DA.
Perhaps they did.
"Oct. 13, 1998. Schreffler, Ralston, Sloane, Gricar. Investigation going to Penn State meeting. Ray. Fran Ganter. Ron Schreffler is taking us to the football building and I will finish this memo, Sue, and either Ray will type something, handwrite something or he'll tell me to dictate this and I'll give you the tape when we get back. Thanks."

Perhaps they did.
"Oct. 13, 1998. Schreffler, Ralston, Sloane, Gricar. Investigation going to Penn State meeting. Ray. Fran Ganter. Ron Schreffler is taking us to the football building and I will finish this memo, Sue, and either Ray will type something, handwrite something or he'll tell me to dictate this and I'll give you the tape when we get back. Thanks."
Then why was that not revealed? Further, why wait 6 1/2 years.

Perhaps the boy problem went further than Jerry. We assume this meeting was about Jerry. Maybe it was about Fran.

I would not assume it was about Jerry. However, it was still 6 1/2 years prior to RFG's disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper