GUILTY PA - Rebecca Stahl, 37, Hempfield, 18 February 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_20044412

Police: Pennsylvania teacher's death probed as homicide

Investigators are treating the death of a western Pennsylvania middle school teacher whose body was found in some weeds as a possible homicide, state police said Saturday. Meanwhile, her husband, who has a criminal history of domestic violence, was hospitalized and awaiting a mental health evaluation.

The Westmoreland County coroner's office said an autopsy had been done but declined to release the cause and manner of death pending further investigation.

I'm watching WPXI, story coming up
I'll give highlights:

homecide
cause and manner of death not released
her car is impounded
husband is in hospital
and he has not formally named as suspect

that's it

http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_20044412

The Westmoreland County coroner's office said an autopsy had been done but declined to release the cause and manner of death pending further investigation.

Police: Pennsylvania teacher's death probed as homicide
Investigators are treating the death of a western Pennsylvania middle school teacher whose body was found in some weeds as a possible homicide, state police said Saturday. Meanwhile, her husband, who has a criminal history of domestic violence, was hospitalized and awaiting a mental health evaluation.
Yep, Excela Health in Greensburg has a locked unit. A psychiatrist should have examined him today. The hospital can keep him for 72 hours from the time he was admitted (not from when he entered the ER hours earlier) if he told the hospital staff that he was thinking of harming himself. (section 302)

He could also be held on a 302 if the staff believed he could be a danger to others.
http://www.alleghenycounty.us/dhs/commitment.aspx

Maybe they are not releasing the COD because there is a piece of evidence missing that may have been used in her death? Maybe the missing leash? (speculation) Did they find her brown outfit she supposedly had on that Monday morning...if true?

could there be more than 1 cause of death?
I don't mean to be funny, but could she of been strangled
and beaten causing her new operation to bleed to death also.
Or does ME just use 1 COD?? more tests?

A quick note about dogs, and not to contradict Grainne (who I totally respect). I think a lot of dogs would bite to defend, but not on 'command', as it were, as in shutzhund or K9 work.

I know Gracie would. She put herself - at 6 months old - between me and someone who was being a bit aggressive, and created a space between me and this other woman. I wasn't actually in danger, just being yelled at and she was waving her arms, but Gracie decided her bulk (she was about 70 pounds then) was a way to push me back from danger. Do I think she'd bite? Yes, if I were clearly in need of the help. Have I trained her to guard work? No, absolutely not, and won't. But I think she'd definitely give me a hand if necessary.

As for carrying, there may be several issues. Those already discussed, but also, some dogs freeze when scared, and need to be carried (Romeo, for example, will freeze, so I have to pick him up). Also, the cops may not have been willing to enter the back because of the dogs (which is understandable), and couldn't search the back unless it was cleared of the pups, and this was the fastest way to get the one out.

This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach. Poor Rebecca, poor dogs, and poor everyone who is not the murderer.

Best-
Herding Cats

could there be more than 1 cause of death?
I don't mean to be funny, but could she of been strangled
and beaten causing her new operation to bleed to death also.
Or does ME just use 1 COD?? more tests?

..i believe the ME lists the final COD.

..( in the case of the recent jane bashara murder --it was noted that there was trauma to her back, her chest, extensive bruising to her upper body, her windpipe was crushed-----COD was listed as "strangulation".)

Did you locals know they called in the big gun?

"Dr. Cyril Wecht, a Pittsburgh pathologist who conducted the autopsy on Stahl for the Westmoreland County coroner..."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pit...5.html?_s_icmp=NetworkHeadlines#ixzz1nUglwztg

If DS doesn't already have a big headache...:bang:

Interesting. You wouldn't think they would need Wecht's services unless there is a lot more to all this than we know. Not that we really know much. I don't recall there ever being a case in this area where every little tid-bit wasn't splashed across the front page of the Trib. They are really keeping the details close to the vest.

Well it's not his jurisdiction right? - so he must've been invited.

It's a high profile case and they want/need to get it right.

Who ya gonna call?

Well it's not his jurisdiction right? - so he must've been invited.

It's a high profile case and they want/need to get it right.

Who ya gonna call?

I didn't think he worked for the public any longer. I know he has a private forensic pathology business though. I'm assuming he was called in because of his expertise. Wondering what he would be needed for that the Westmoreland County coroner couldn't do on his own.

sometimes a coroner is not a medical doctor.
Cyril is an MD and a Lawyer IIRC.
Having an experienced coroner can seal the 'pending COD'
I have a feeling the report will be horrific.

I didn't think he worked for the public any longer. I know he has a private forensic pathology business though. I'm assuming he was called in because of his expertise. Wondering what he would be needed for that the Westmoreland County coroner couldn't do on his own.
The coroner in Westmoreland is not an medical doctor. (I have never read anything negative about this coroner.) The coroner likely asked for an additional opinion and Dr. Wecht lives very close to the Greensburg coroner's office (near Somerset, Pa). Dr. Wecht has lived in this area at least half a century and is probably a friend of the Westmoreland Co. Coroner. He is a most respected pathologist and will make an excellent witness before the jury.

Prayers for Rebecca's family, friends, and students.

Do we know if the remains have been released? I'm not seeing an obit and haven't seen any indication that she's been released. It sure doesn't seem to be a clear cut case or we'd have seen an obit today.

Interesting. You wouldn't think they would need Wecht's services unless there is a lot more to all this than we know. Not that we really know much. I don't recall there ever being a case in this area where every little tid-bit wasn't splashed across the front page of the Trib. They are really keeping the details close to the vest.

BBM. Ken Bacha is not a pathologist, or even a doctor, and cannot perform autopsies. It's not unusual at all for a county coroner to be a non-medical person, so autopsies are performed by contracted forensic pathologists in the area.

WPXI 11 news at 6pm had nothing more to add.............absolutely the same.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeCoffeeMa
Back