PA PA - Shawn Baur, 15, & Scott Fosnaught, 15, Butler County, 17 July 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is my first time reading about this case and a couple things jump out at me if they were hit by a vehicle I would expect someone to see a vehicle with damage to the front even if no evidence was left at the scene I don't see how a vehicle could hit someone and not have at least a dent, a cracked grill, headlight or something. Maybe they were not hit where they were found but placed there after being hit somewhere else? I don't know why the one would have different injuries than the other maybe it just had to do with how the vehicle struck them?
Just a thought, but maybe one boy was actually hit by the car and the other boy injured in some other fashion because he was a witness?
complete speculation, imo.

Just a thought, but maybe one boy was actually hit by the car and the other boy injured in some other fashion because he was a witness?
That could be a real possibility as well, I think the boys knew the person responsible for their death that would be a big motivator for not leaving any witnesses. I know some have speculated that maybe the person was intoxicated and it was an accidental hit and run but I'm not sure that a hit and run would get out of the car to check on either of the boys or do more harm to them most likely they would have just drove off and never looked back. These are all just my opinions though.

Certainly possible, especially given that the most recent article says:

Fosnaught’s injuries were consistent with being hit by a vehicle. Bauer had an injury to the top of his head.

Cold Case: Was it a hit-and-run or something more sinister?
February 18, 2021 rbbm.
''Fosnaught’s injuries were consistent with being hit by a vehicle. Bauer had an injury to the top of his head.

Rausch believes it was made to look like a hit-and-run.

“I believe that it was no accident. I believe the boys got somebody angry, maybe, and it was a plan for them to leave that house. And it was setup. I had people look at his autopsy report, and they all say it’s consistent with a car but my gut feeling I think he was beaten and ran over. I mean, I can’t get rid of that feeling again. I mean it’s in my head,” said Rausch.

No skid marks or car parts were found.''

''Rausch said her son went to a party that July night at an abandoned farmhouse and hung out with friends. He ended up at a friend’s house on Cashdollar Road, near Evans City. But according to another friend, early the next morning, Fosnaught and Bauer decided to leave the house and walk to their homes about a mile away.''

''An autopsy revealed the cause of death as blunt force trauma for both teens. While the death certificates do not list a manner of death, police told Earle they are treating it as a double homicide.

If you have any information on the case, you can contact the Butler State Police Barracks at (724) 284-8100.''

I've had a lot of time to think about this case and there are a lot of questions that I've come up with that may be able to be answered now with todays forensic technology, I wish I knew where to ask them, I'm sure not all of the questions that I have are answerable or if they are even logical, but I think with the advances in forensic science that there may be answers hidden in plain sight, I don't know maybe none of it makes any sense, but I live in the area where this crime occurred and I have an interest in wanting this crime to be solved, and if maybe someone out there reads the questions I have may help provide new evidence I want to help.

I've had a lot of time to think about this case and there are a lot of questions that I've come up with that may be able to be answered now with todays forensic technology, I wish I knew where to ask them, I'm sure not all of the questions that I have are answerable or if they are even logical, but I think with the advances in forensic science that there may be answers hidden in plain sight, I don't know maybe none of it makes any sense, but I live in the area where this crime occurred and I have an interest in wanting this crime to be solved, and if maybe someone out there reads the questions I have may help provide new evidence I want to help.
Welcome to Ws @aco330!
Try directing your question about forensic science on the awesome @othram thread..
Othram - General Discussion | Page 30 (websleuths.com)

Families Seek Answers 10 Years After Teen Sons’ Deaths – CBS Pittsburgh (cbslocal.com)
cashdollarrdaccident.jpg

I have a huge list of questions that I would like to ask the people investigating this case or have investigated this case, because there are a lot of factors that I feel given the newest developments in forensic sciences maybe there are clues that are present that were not even considered back when this happened. I wanna know what agency I need to direct these questions to, I am obviously not a scientist or professional but I feel like if I can find someone to look at the list of questions I have and can tell whether or not these questions could yield new evidence then its worth a shot. If anyone knows where in PA I can send this list of questions to, let me know.

I have a huge list of questions that I would like to ask the people investigating this case or have investigated this case, because there are a lot of factors that I feel given the newest developments in forensic sciences maybe there are clues that are present that were not even considered back when this happened. I wanna know what agency I need to direct these questions to, I am obviously not a scientist or professional but I feel like if I can find someone to look at the list of questions I have and can tell whether or not these questions could yield new evidence then its worth a shot. If anyone knows where in PA I can send this list of questions to, let me know.
Bureau of Forensic Services (pa.gov)
''Regional laboratories are located in Bethlehem, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Lima and Wyoming. The Forensic DNA Division is located in Greensburg. Regular business hours are: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Tours of the Pennsylvania State Police Labs are not available to the public.

The Bureau, Investigative and Operational Support Division, and Scientific Services Division administrative offices are located at Departmental Headquarters, and the Quality Management Division is located at 2900 Seminary Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601.

Testing services vary by laboratory. Please contact the laboratory for details. Within the Bureau, the following forensic disciplines are performed:

• Biology (Body Fluid Identification, Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, DNA)
  • Drug Chemistry (Controlled Substances, Clandestine Laboratory Analysis, Alcohol Beverage Analysis)
  • Firearms and Tool Marks (including Serial Number Restoration)
  • Latent Prints (including Impression Evidence/Footwear &Tires)
  • Questioned Documents
  • Toxicology (Blood Alcohol, Blood-Drug Analysis)
  • Trace Evidence (Paint, Fiber/Textiles, Gunshot Residue, Hair, Explosives, Fire Debris, General Physical and Chemical Analysis)''
Pennsylvania State Police Regional Forensic Labs - Google My Maps
PSP Bethlehem Regional Laboratory
22-blue-dot.png

PSP Erie Regional Laboratory
22-blue-dot.png

PSP Greensburg Regional Laboratory
22-blue-dot.png

PSP Harrisuburg Regional Laboratory
22-blue-dot.png

PSP Lima Regional Laboratory
22-blue-dot.png

PSP Wyoming Regional Laboratory

My initial thoughts.
Maybe the boy with the obvious auto related injuries was hit first and intentionally. The second boy, maybe not knowing / realizing that the act was intentional, is checking on his friend and the car turns around and hits the second as he is stooped over. A truck etc. with a sturdy brush guard could have hit the boys and left little to no damage possibly. I wonder if any suspects have a vehicle equipped with this?

Or it could have been that one boy was further off the road and tying his shoe or something.

Last edited:
My initial thoughts.
Maybe the boy with the obvious auto related injuries was hit first and intentionally. The second boy, maybe not knowing / realizing that the act was intentional, is checking on his friend and the car turns around and hits the second as he is stooped over. A truck etc. with a sturdy brush guard could have hit the boys and left little to no damage possibly. I wonder if any suspects have a vehicle equipped with this?

Or it could have been that one boy was further off the road and tying his shoe or something.

My thoughts about that, is that the one boy whos injuries were consistent with being hit by a car was, obviously hit by a car, but my thoughts are that once the other boy saw his buddy get mowed down by a car, he took off running and then the car gave chase and the passenger in the vehicle leaned out the window and hit him in the head with a baseball bat or something similar, because his injuries were mainly blunt force trauma to the head without having any injuries that were consistent with being hit by a car.

To follow up on my reply, the boy that was hit by the car, I would like to know specifically what areas of his body were injured, I believe that could potentially be used in some way to determine the height of the vehicle that struck him, also I find it a little curious that they didn't find any paint or any type of evidence from the vehicle on his body. I mean if there was a paint fleck, couldn't it be analyzed and find out what car company used that type of paint. I don't know, maybe that's outlandish, but there are new forensic methods that may be able to make a break through.

So, Just gauging interest, but if I were to post my list of questions on here, would anyone want to read it? Would anyone know where to send them where they might get to the right people? I know I asked before. I really would like to get a conversation started about this and maybe end up getting somewhere new with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snathan
Back