PA PA - Toni Sharpless, 29, Gladwyne, 23 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NetworkingStar- What I wrote in my post came from Crystal's mouth. She and Toni left the party together around 5. After Crystal exited Toni's car, she called Toni twice. I didn't post the article b/c the time table had been backed up by other posters on the board. As for the "V8" engine, Crystal apparently was mistaken but her point was the car did not do well on gas. If you still need to verify the timeline "google" is your friend.

Link to the WGAL article:

http://www.wgal.com/news/21319293/detail.html

If she had no cash to speak of, and hasn't used her credit card or atm card, where would she get the money to be running around? The PI suggests that she has been "seen" in Camden and Harrisburg. Seems unlikely.

That PI sounds to me like she is more interested in publicizing herself than she is in finding Toni.

Sounds unlikely and crazy to me too. I guess stranger thinks have happened, but I will be in absolute shock if she is found alive. Especially if she has been away on her own free will.

If the river was thoroughly checked along the entire stretch of River Rd., the most probable explaination has been eliminated. There is certainly the chance she is hidden in vegitation off the road. She might turn up after the leaves fall, which should be in the next couple of weeks. (there was a young man in Calif who disappeared after a party. Two weeks later, after an extensive, highly publicized search, His body and the car were found in some decorative foliage along an urban freeway on the expect route from the party to his home)

The most important clue is her phone. We know it was "off" within a few minutes of the "arguement" with Chrystal. The phone either went "off" through some "mis-adventure" or Toni turned it off (or let the battery run down). By interviewing Toni's friends and family and checking cell phone records in the prior weeks, LE could tell wheter or not Toni kept her phone "on" pretty much all the time. If Toni was in the habit of leaving her phone "off" all bets are off; anything could have happened at any time. She could have had an accident or been abducted or, perhaps, taken off on her own. If however, she is like most folks and keeps her phone "on", It pretty much limits what could have happened. We must assume the "mis-adventure", almost certainly an accident, occured right after the argument.

Hopefully, if this is the case, Chrystal was asked for the approx time between Toni taking off and the first call. Then a maximun distance that Toni could have driven could be established. The search would be restricted to that range alonge the probable/possible routes ONLY where there is vegitation or water where a car could be hidden and no guardrail or other barrier.

It is not unheard of for young women, driving alone at night, to be hikacked. I have never heard of a case where the car was taken and made to "disappear". I find it unlikely that a hijacker would make a point of turning of a cell phone at the time of a hijacking. (If they even thought of the phone, they would probably pitch it). I think it is improbable that the "mis-adventure" (that shut the phone off) was a hijacking.

Good post, kemo. I am sure LE has done a thorough investigation but nothing is guaranteed. One other possibility that would blow the case wide open is that Toni didn't leave the house as reported and foul play was involved at the house. I don't believe that but at this point who knows?

I was just coming here to post this! This really was a good article. I didn't realize that the Lancaster Newspapers had it in them!

What really strikes me is the distinct possibility that her car's tag is getting passed around for use on other vehicles. That means that I should be watching for that tag rather than focusing on black Pontiacs when I am out and about.

I note, once again, that the "hits" seem to all be in New Jersey. So why isn't anyone searching Camden? The PI seems to think she's alive and in Camden. Yet I haven't seen ANYONE mention that the LE or anyone else is searching in Camden for her...

I note, once again, that the "hits" seem to all be in New Jersey. So why isn't anyone searching Camden? The PI seems to think she's alive and in Camden. Yet I haven't seen ANYONE mention that the LE or anyone else is searching in Camden for her...

The article says that the NJ State Police are involved. They are in a better position to search Camden than the Brandywine Regional Police or the Lower Merion Police.

Does anyone know what a "hit" on a stolen plate means? Are there actually cameras that can "read" plates then interface with data bases of stolen vehicles?

I sure would like to learn how long ago the hits were and where. It not that difficult to get to Camden from Gladwynne.

If there really were "hits" on her tag that came from these automated "readers" , that would pretty much confirm that Toni was a crime victim. I'm a little skeptical however, Are these "readers" all that accurate or are they prone to "false positives"? Also, the article is not all that clear that these "hits" were from automated readers at all. A reported sighting from a member of the public would have a lot less credibility.

Not sure how credible the article is, but the hits sure make it sound like her car or at least her plate is on the roads. This tells me she is either driving around by her own free will or a victim of foul play. I find it hard to believe though that someone else would be using her car or plate if they know that she has been a victim of crime. Not the smartest thing to do while trying to avoid LE.

Not sure how credible the article is, but the hits sure make it sound like her car or at least her plate is on the roads. This tells me she is either driving around by her own free will or a victim of foul play. I find it hard to believe though that someone else would be using her car or plate if they know that she has been a victim of crime. Not the smartest thing to do while trying to avoid LE.

True. But if the person who has her tag doesn't know that she is missing and just needs to drive a stolen car a few hundred miles....

If the Kennett Square sighting of her tag is credible, that car could have been in Delaware 5 minutes later and Maryland 30 minutes later, crossing state lines where there are no cameras.

I still fret about the fact that her cellphone seems to have "died" right after the alleged argument. Ditching into the river would explain that. I can't help but wonder whether another river search would be a good idea.

True. But if the person who has her tag doesn't know that she is missing and just needs to drive a stolen car a few hundred miles....

If the Kennett Square sighting of her tag is credible, that car could have been in Delaware 5 minutes later and Maryland 30 minutes later, crossing state lines where there are no cameras.

I still fret about the fact that her cellphone seems to have "died" right after the alleged argument. Ditching into the river would explain that. I can't help but wonder whether another river search would be a good idea.

I'm definitely with you for another river search! I'm also toying with the bipolar mixed with alcohol and losing control after days with no medication! Still a huge mystery to be solved either way!

With the pings on the plate in Camden and the supposed sighting under the Ben Franklin bridge, I have to wonder if we should have been looking in the Delaware River

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back