PA PA - Uniontown, WhtFem 30-45, UP16509, in big rig accident, cigs, keychain, clothes, jewelry, May'86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The vitals sure match although I’m not sure how a devout Mormon would then become the woman with the hot and horny key ring. A lot would’ve needed to happen to her in the almost ten year gap?

Yes, this is a very unlikely match....It seems like she was a devoted Mormon by choice, not forced up on her, so yes it would be a complicated proces to go from that to the story around this Jane Doe. Huhhh just don't know it anymore. I'm going to look for newly entered missing persons.

Wow, I am surprised to see interest in this case, which is in my hometown. Don’t know if I posted this before, but I ran into the coroner and asked him if any tissue samples had been preserved from this victim before she was buried, on the offchance we could get DNA. He said no. IMHO the only hope for this case is exhumation (unless we miraculously match her prints), which he said costs a minimum of $15,000. (Does that sound right? I’ve never been involved in one) That ain’t happening unless someone raises the dough and persuades a judge that recent advances in DNA will make ID likely.
She’s not local to Uniontown. Her picture has been in the local papers every few years, and no one has ever recognized her. There were no truck stops in the area at that time, though there is one now.
Any thoughts on all this?

IMHO the only hope for this case is exhumation (unless we miraculously match her prints), which he said costs a minimum of $15,000. (Does that sound right? I’ve never been involved in one)
(RSBM)

$15,000?! :eek: Wow. I’m curious now if that is the norm. I didn’t think it was anywhere near that much. Not for an exhumation. Now, if that figure includes testing and all the other things involved, that seems a little more reasonable. But I have no idea TBH so I’m wondering the same now that you mention it!

Wow, I am surprised to see interest in this case, which is in my hometown. Don’t know if I posted this before, but I ran into the coroner and asked him if any tissue samples had been preserved from this victim before she was buried, on the offchance we could get DNA. He said no.
RSBM

I have a printout of her NamUs entry from 4/11/2017 and it says DNA: Sample is currently unavailable. But, post #206 of this thread, 2/10/18, says DNA tests complete. Color me confused.:confused:
PA - PA - Uniontown, WhtFem UP16509, 30-45, in big rig accident, May'86

Last edited:
RSBM

I have a printout of her NamUs entry from 4/11/2017 and it say DNA: Sample is currently unavailable. But, post #206 of this thread, 2/10/18, says DNA tests complete. Color me confused.:confused:
PA - PA - Uniontown, WhtFem UP16509, 30-45, in big rig accident, May'86
Me too. It’s been a while and I think the coroner was going to check, but he didn’t think they kept anything. I ran into him at a political dinner. I did not hear of any exhumation. I’m at a loss.
One thing I have not posted, If she indeed was a “working girl”, it’s possible that relatives know who she was and chose not to speak up, which would be very sad if that is the case.

Last edited:
This one has always stayed with me because it feels so sad and hopeless. I feel like it will never be solved without DNA. I bet she was from a different state and living a lifestyle estranged from family so likely never reported missing. Just my gut feel and opinion.

Wow, I am surprised to see interest in this case, which is in my hometown. Don’t know if I posted this before, but I ran into the coroner and asked him if any tissue samples had been preserved from this victim before she was buried, on the offchance we could get DNA. He said no. IMHO the only hope for this case is exhumation (unless we miraculously match her prints), which he said costs a minimum of $15,000. (Does that sound right? I’ve never been involved in one) That ain’t happening unless someone raises the dough and persuades a judge that recent advances in DNA will make ID likely.
She’s not local to Uniontown. Her picture has been in the local papers every few years, and no one has ever recognized her. There were no truck stops in the area at that time, though there is one now.
Any thoughts on all this?

Thank you for letting us know about the DNA. Such a shame..... 15.000 seems a lot. I have to go to work now. Will get to it later.

My father drove rigs in this timeframe and I travelled with him at times. No one could see me if I was resting or asleep in the bed behind the driver’s seat (a curtain often draws across) or even if I was curled up sleeping across the front passenger seat. So I wouldn’t be concerned that no one saw this woman when the driver stopped for soda. JMHO.

Here are the pics of the possessions https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/16509/Images/42789/Original

Original

I didn't see her mentioned when I searched the thread so - how about Agnes Ann Young? The weight is off but the husband never reported her missing because he seemed to like her SSI checks. Her family last saw her in 1985 or 1986.
She was disabled from a car accident (nature of disability I didn't find) when she was younger.
Maybe she had gained weight and the husband was prostituting her out. All he needs is a CB at the house.
She went missing from about 35 miles north of the accident scene.

Agnes Ann Young.png Agnes Ann Young.png The_Sentinel_Sat__May_18__2002_.jpg Pittsburgh_Post_Gazette_Fri__Jun_13__1986_ (1).jpg

It looks like Agnes had a head injury. So she isn't in a wheelchair (in theory) and could have had a disability the coroner wouldn't have picked up on.

Name: Agnes Ann Skvarek
[Agnes Young]
Birth Date: 9 Jan 1943
Birth Place: Pennsylvania
[Charleroi, Pennsylvania]
Notes: Jul 1959: Name listed as AGNES ANN SKVAREK; Aug 1968: Name listed as AGNES YOUNG; 07 Dec 1983: Name listed as AGNES A YOUNG

Attachments

Found online:

James Gibson lived just a half-mile up the road from Edward Young, but said he never knew his cousin was married.
"He was never with a woman that we saw," said James' wife, Jean.

Authorities have been searching of late for Young's wife, Agnes - who has some say has been missing for at least 10 years.

But that investigation will continue without Edward Young, 60, who apparently took his own life Friday.

When state police arrived at Young's residence at 10 Abbott Drive in Long Branch they hoped to talk to him and search for his wife.
Instead, they they found him lying dead on the floor near the door of his trailer - a victim of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Young was pronounced dead at the scene. Washington County Coroner S. Timothy Warco ruled the death a suicide.

Young's death is the latest bizarre twist in the search for Agnes Young.

On May 8, Leroy Grafton, a special agent of the U.S. Office of the Inspector General, contacted state police at the Belle Vernon barracks, according to a state police reported released late Friday.

Grafton learned that that Agnes Young had not been seen by anyone for at least 10 years. However, her Social Security checks had been cashed on a monthly basis from 1991 to September 2001.

Grafton spoke with the woman's relatives and friends, but he could not find anyone who had seen her in a decade.

Suspicion arose when Edward Young filed to receive for Social Security benefits Sept. 21.

Edward Young told a Social Security employee his wife went sightseeing in New York City with a friend in September and "maybe she also went to the World Trade Centers and was lost in the disaster," the affidavit states.

Edward Young never filed a missing person report.

Young told Grafton he did not know the names of his wife's friends or a description of the vehicle they supposedly took to New York, police said.

Social Security officials terminated Agnes Young's benefits and Grafton attempted to contact her.

Edward Young began to receive Social Security benefits in January 2002, police said.

He told Grafton that his wife "would be driven to town by unknown persons to cash her (Social Security) checks," and that he did not cash his wife's checks," the affidavit states.

Edward Young would not let Grafton enter his residence during an interview, the affidavit stated.

Mary Santo, Agnes Young's sister, told Grafton, "Edward had told her that Agnes was moved to a mental institution in upstate New York" and that she had not seen her sister in 10 years, the affidavit stated.

Steve Svarek, Agnes Young's brother, said he last saw his sister in 1985.

Svarek said Edward Young told him Agnes Young was unavailable when he attempted to visit her at the trailer on Abbott Drive.

Steve Svarek's wife, Anna, said she was told Agnes Young was transferred to New York after "the mental institution in Pittsburgh burned down," the affidavit stated.

Anna Svarek said Edward Young's sister, Helen, provided that information.

Police said they could not find records of recent residence for Agnes Young in mental institutions in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

However, mental health records indicated Agnes Young attempted suicide three times, police said.

Her name also was absent from records at the Bureau of Vital Statistics in New Castle, police said.

Elizabeth Ray, a bank teller at National City Bank in Speers, said she repeatedly saw Edward at the bank with his aunt, Viola Lecat, but never with Agnes Young.

Because Edward Young would not cooperate with Grafton, state police obtained a warrant from District Justice Larry Hopkins of Charleroi Thursday to search for the body of Agnes Young, 59, or documents related to her whereabouts.

The warrant targeted the Edward Young residence and adjacent ground owned by Lecat.

Nothing was uncovered in the search, state police reported.

State troopers returned to Young's residence 9:30 a.m. Friday to interview him about his missing wife and to conduct a second search. That's when state police found him dead.

Young's death surprised family members.

"I was a little shocked," James Gibson said of his reaction Edward Young's death.

"He was a nice man. He was always nice to me."

Gibson said he knew Agnes Young's nephews, but never knew the she and his cousin were married.

Gibson said he saw Edward Young from time to time, but never with Agnes Young.

"I hope they find out what happened," James Gibson said.

An unidentified woman met reporters outside the Young and Lecat residences Friday.

"Get off the property," she said. "We're not going to answer any questions."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyi ... 72148.html

Thanks to the OPs who linked the photos of the items!

I apologize my unending slew of questions but it's been a while since I've read up on this case so I am trying to refresh my memory.

Is there any information regarding a possible tax number on the cigarettes (provided that it was legible, they appear to have made it out well preserved in the photo) or perhaps something that seems to be engraved on the keys.

I'd assume the keys are engraved with the key brand but you never know. For example, I found a house key hidden under my porch with a local former lock brand engraved on them. It isn't exactly proof of identification, but I wonder if it could have led them to at least a particular state. The items she had with her make me wonder just how far from home she expected to be.

The second and last question is: Did the police ever put out an UIP photo/description in newspapers of the states JDR was suspected to have passed through?

Found online:

James Gibson lived just a half-mile up the road from Edward Young, but said he never knew his cousin was married.
"He was never with a woman that we saw," said James' wife, Jean.

Authorities have been searching of late for Young's wife, Agnes - who has some say has been missing for at least 10 years.

But that investigation will continue without Edward Young, 60, who apparently took his own life Friday.

When state police arrived at Young's residence at 10 Abbott Drive in Long Branch they hoped to talk to him and search for his wife.
Instead, they they found him lying dead on the floor near the door of his trailer - a victim of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Young was pronounced dead at the scene. Washington County Coroner S. Timothy Warco ruled the death a suicide.

Young's death is the latest bizarre twist in the search for Agnes Young.

On May 8, Leroy Grafton, a special agent of the U.S. Office of the Inspector General, contacted state police at the Belle Vernon barracks, according to a state police reported released late Friday.

Grafton learned that that Agnes Young had not been seen by anyone for at least 10 years. However, her Social Security checks had been cashed on a monthly basis from 1991 to September 2001.

Grafton spoke with the woman's relatives and friends, but he could not find anyone who had seen her in a decade.

Suspicion arose when Edward Young filed to receive for Social Security benefits Sept. 21.

Edward Young told a Social Security employee his wife went sightseeing in New York City with a friend in September and "maybe she also went to the World Trade Centers and was lost in the disaster," the affidavit states.

Edward Young never filed a missing person report.

Young told Grafton he did not know the names of his wife's friends or a description of the vehicle they supposedly took to New York, police said.

Social Security officials terminated Agnes Young's benefits and Grafton attempted to contact her.

Edward Young began to receive Social Security benefits in January 2002, police said.

He told Grafton that his wife "would be driven to town by unknown persons to cash her (Social Security) checks," and that he did not cash his wife's checks," the affidavit states.

Edward Young would not let Grafton enter his residence during an interview, the affidavit stated.

Mary Santo, Agnes Young's sister, told Grafton, "Edward had told her that Agnes was moved to a mental institution in upstate New York" and that she had not seen her sister in 10 years, the affidavit stated.

Steve Svarek, Agnes Young's brother, said he last saw his sister in 1985.

Svarek said Edward Young told him Agnes Young was unavailable when he attempted to visit her at the trailer on Abbott Drive.

Steve Svarek's wife, Anna, said she was told Agnes Young was transferred to New York after "the mental institution in Pittsburgh burned down," the affidavit stated.

Anna Svarek said Edward Young's sister, Helen, provided that information.

Police said they could not find records of recent residence for Agnes Young in mental institutions in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

However, mental health records indicated Agnes Young attempted suicide three times, police said.

Her name also was absent from records at the Bureau of Vital Statistics in New Castle, police said.

Elizabeth Ray, a bank teller at National City Bank in Speers, said she repeatedly saw Edward at the bank with his aunt, Viola Lecat, but never with Agnes Young.

Because Edward Young would not cooperate with Grafton, state police obtained a warrant from District Justice Larry Hopkins of Charleroi Thursday to search for the body of Agnes Young, 59, or documents related to her whereabouts.

The warrant targeted the Edward Young residence and adjacent ground owned by Lecat.

Nothing was uncovered in the search, state police reported.

State troopers returned to Young's residence 9:30 a.m. Friday to interview him about his missing wife and to conduct a second search. That's when state police found him dead.

Young's death surprised family members.

"I was a little shocked," James Gibson said of his reaction Edward Young's death.

"He was a nice man. He was always nice to me."

Gibson said he knew Agnes Young's nephews, but never knew the she and his cousin were married.

Gibson said he saw Edward Young from time to time, but never with Agnes Young.

"I hope they find out what happened," James Gibson said.

An unidentified woman met reporters outside the Young and Lecat residences Friday.

"Get off the property," she said. "We're not going to answer any questions."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyi ... 72148.html
Very sad story but it really comes across as Edward having killed his wife in my opinion.

Is there any information regarding a possible tax number on the cigarettes (provided that it was legible, they appear to have made it out well preserved in the photo)

It looks like the cellophane wrap was removed from the pack of cigarettes. Since the tax # is stamped/applied after packaging, there likely wasn't one on the pack.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back