Parents Lose Custody Of 7 Children Because They're Too Fat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Actually, this isn't surprising... for the past few years the UK gov't and drs have been discussing measures they should take, in what could be considered cracking down on obesity. Here is an article from over 2 years ago talking about it:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKL1445735220070614

Given that the UK has public healthcare, the gov't has the right to regulate a child's health as they see fit, is how I perceive it...

(ETA: mind you, I think it is harsh to take kids away from their parents like this. This kind of thing is one aspect that worries me about Obama wanting the US to have public health care: the gov't would get too much of an upper hand in controlling our lives.)

Should they take away children from parents who promote poor body images which can lead to anorexia and/or bulimia? I think watching your parents starve themselves or vomit has to be as bad as watching them gorge themselves on food.

Considering how many cases we've had lately of CPS failing to save starving children like the 18 month old in florida that weighed 11 pounds.... This is sad when they can identify fat kids but not children who are being starved and are at the point of death...

If the weight problems are due to over eating I don't see how they could have afforded all the food for around eight obese people.

Actually, cheap processed food is part of the cause of obesity in this country. You can feed a family of eight on high carb, high calorie, processed foods a whole lot cheaper than you can feed them on fresh, whole, healthy foods. Probably if everyone would stop eating out of boxes there wouldn't be much of an obesity problem at all. Unfortunately most people can't afford to eat the better way.

Actually, cheap processed food is part of the cause of obesity in this country. You can feed a family of eight on high carb, high calorie, processed foods a whole lot cheaper than you can feed them on fresh, whole, healthy foods. Probably if everyone would stop eating out of boxes there wouldn't be much of an obesity problem at all. Unfortunately most people can't afford to eat the better way.

I just read an article in the last few days about the fact that adding nutritional information at restaurants is still not changing what some people eat for the very reason that the cheaper food with more calories and fat is what they will still buy.

Poverty and the state of your appliances (if you have any, or any that work right) affects what kinds of food people purchase and eat. A bag of potato chips will keep in any temperature, whether or not your electric has been shut off, or if your landlord won't fix the door on the fridge. A fresh vegetable medley will NOT keep. Nor will a nice salmon fillet. Poverty and eating "good" foods just doesn't mix too well . . . education about food choices won't do a thing if you can't even cook or store them safely.

And if you're working two jobs and taking public transportation all over town to pick up your kids and make it home it's much harder to take the time to cook a fresh meal when everyone is hungry "now."

I forgot to add that last night I watched a recent Dr. Phil I had recorded on DVR about childhood obesity. One child they mentioned in the beginning was over 500 pounds as a 14-year-old. There definitely needs to be an intervention, which there was. I think it's good that they now include comments on weight on report cards. I think it would make some parents think more. I wish they had yearly classes on nutrition including some food preparation for children.

What "we" take for granted in the middle class are things that "come and go" to people living at a much lower socioeconomic level. I think it's hard to conceptualize the mindset and therefore, easy to judge that they are being lazy or careless when they can choose differently. Whether or not you live week to week in a motel with a hot plate and no fridge has an effect on your whole BEING, what your priorities are in life, and they certainly make choosing between feeding hungry kids something satisfying versus something "wholesomely" cooked and prepared from fresh ingredients!

People live within their "paradigms" like fish in fishbowls. They can't see outside these paradigms and have a hard time relating to those who live in a bigger world, because of more money, education, experiences . . . I think legislating against behaviors like overeating yourself or overfeeding your children is dangerous to an extreme because then we are trying to "control" how people think about themselves. Which should, in spite of it all, be a freedom each human being has. No matter the consequences. It can't be reasonably legislated, IOW. Not without imposing a Big Brother/1984 type state of control.

wow, really? i'm sorry, but are we CONDONING families raising their children to suffer heart attacks in their 20's? This is very VERY serious. I"m not a fanatical about it, and i'm not skinny but i'm healthy. my son is healthy. I am not KILLING him. I understand if there were issues with health that caused the weight to pile on, but i'm *advertiser censored*-uming (yeah i know, not smart) that the authorities looked into that before removing the children. When the KIDS want to leave, there IS an issue.

I would *advertiser censored*-ume (again lol i'll learn one day :) ) that the baby was given back because the baby is not yet overweight. I feel like when a child reaches 200+ pounds, that is a death sentence. But of course, I agree, beaten children go abused so I can see why some are outraged, but really, can't we have both?? Parents who don't beat their children AND don't teach them how to end life early??

I really hope there is more to this. Heavy people can care for children for God's sake. There has got to be more.

I would pray that there is more to it, also. Not knowing if the weight issue is partly genetics...one doesn't know how to come down on this issue. My husband was a normal weight when we met. His Father is 375 at 6' 4". He is now 289 at 6' 4". I prepare only whole foods, keep no sweets or sugar products. No soft drinks for more than 10 years...the man is just in a difficult position. We have been turned down for adoption by three countries due to his weight.....I am 110lbs at 5'4" and eat exactly what hub eats, prob more. We have raised 6 kids, some our own from our body and others from the heart. This man has been the best husband, Father and provider and friend I have ever seen. To see him denied the right to raise more children breaks my heart...from something that appears after great effort...to be beyond his control. I do not know what to think about this.

How sad that the 13 year old boy asked to be taken away. Unless he's a very tall boy he really does weigh alot, and could be the target of teasing and bullies. I hope they all get help and learn how to cope and do what it takes. If the weight problems are due to over eating I don't see how they could have afforded all the food for around eight obese people.

Fast food, convenience food and junk food are all the cheapest foods out there. They are readily available and cheap, and they are full of empty calories and things your body does not need like HFCS. I can buy soda for a lot less than juice. I can get a lot of unhealthy food and empty calories at every corner store, gas station, grocery store and fast food joint.

Not to mention, some people are overweight because of other related health issues, and their diet is not the sole cause.

A newborn baby who was taken away from her parents because they were judged too overweight to look after her has returned home.
The family from Dundee, Scotland was split up by social workers from the city's Children's Panel.
The baby girl was born two weeks ago and was taken from the arms of her 322-pound mother shortly after her birth.
The 40-year-old woman and her 53-year-old husband, who weighs around 252-pound, have not been named to protect the identity of their children.
Two of their children, ages 3 and 4, were taken away earlier this year.
Another four children, including a 13-year-old boy who is said to weigh 224-pounds, have also been taken from their parents.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,571646,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r4:c0.000000:b0:z5

OMG - I'm 60 pounds overweight. Is someone gonna come running to take my son away! I am appalled. :(

Mel

And if you're working two jobs and taking public transportation all over town to pick up your kids and make it home it's much harder to take the time to cook a fresh meal when everyone is hungry "now."

I do the weekend thang - we rarely eat out. Do you know it takes less than 10 minutes to make a proper meal:

Salad bag - rinse and serve (add carotts, cucumbers, boiled egg for protien)
Baked potato (can be microwaved)
Serve along with beef stew made over the weekend

Spaghetti - another big hit Cook n' freeze :)

Meatloaf!

Fish - 20 minutes max.

I do this every day -- no junk food in this house. Our treat is Starbucks or an Icee at the movie theatre.

McDonalds is NOT in our vocabulary. What I've started doing is buying the 10.00 for 10 individual cereal bowls. Quick n' easy.

While fast food is cheap, I'd rather cut back elsewhere (like getting my hair done) instead of feeding this carp to my family. Look for the sales - you'd be amazed!

Mel

ps: I think there's a recipe board on here - not sure.

Fast food, convenience food and junk food are all the cheapest foods out there. They are readily available and cheap, and they are full of empty calories and things your body does not need like HFCS. I can buy soda for a lot less than juice. I can get a lot of unhealthy food and empty calories at every corner store, gas station, grocery store and fast food joint.

Not to mention, some people are overweight because of other related health issues, and their diet is not the sole cause.

Spot on -- I have meds that made me gain weight, from diabetes, to menopause, to high cholesterol. My doc said I HAVE to get rid of the pounds. I'm a trying!

I might need to clarify that I do not think every overweight child should be taken from their parents; not sure if it sounded that way. I do think more education about nutrition is needed, even for thin people. My grandfather was thin as a rail, but ate tons of fat (he'd eat the pure fat I'd cut off my meat) and died of hardening of the arteries. And I am not actually working two jobs; I was just pointing out the problem with doing so for many people who are judged by what they eat or feed their children.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and currently overweight and pre-diabetic after developing gestational diabetes, due to age and an endocrinological condition. Eating breakfast, which I've never liked, and eating on the go are the most difficult for me. I just picked up some snack packs of nuts, which are 100 calories per pack. Walnuts are particularly good for the Omega-3s. I'm hoping that will help me continue my weight loss because I'm stuck at the moment.

I do the weekend thang - we rarely eat out. Do you know it takes less than 10 minutes to make a proper meal:

Salad bag - rinse and serve (add carotts, cucumbers, boiled egg for protien)
Baked potato (can be microwaved)
Serve along with beef stew made over the weekend

Spaghetti - another big hit Cook n' freeze :)

Meatloaf!

Fish - 20 minutes max.

I do this every day -- no junk food in this house. Our treat is Starbucks or an Icee at the movie theatre.

McDonalds is NOT in our vocabulary. What I've started doing is buying the 10.00 for 10 individual cereal bowls. Quick n' easy.

While fast food is cheap, I'd rather cut back elsewhere (like getting my hair done) instead of feeding this carp to my family. Look for the sales - you'd be amazed!

Mel

ps: I think there's a recipe board on here - not sure.

It's a fallacy to say that eating healthy=healthy weight. This is clearly not true.

Also, 10 minutes to prepare a proper meal is not an entirely true statement. You made the stew over the weekend, which adds a lot more to that 10 minute preparation time. It may take less than 10 min to make a salad and nuke a potato and heat up leftovers, but that's only one meal and it might not appeal to all. Plus you have to pay attention and shop the sales, and as someone who does that, I know how time consuming it can be.

I have to say that while this may be easy for you, it's not necessarily the same for everyone. You are missing key points and make a lot of assumptions.

People have to have enough money to buy in bulk. They also have to have space to store food bought in bulk. Not everyone can eat eggs (or meatloaf--we can't). Not everyone has access to fish or a market with a wide variety of foods. Fruits and veggies are in notorious low supply in lower income neighborhoods. You assume people have a microwave or can walk to a store (rather than a corner store or fast food joint). You assume people have the kitchen tools (working stove, fridge, microwave) and skills to make beef stew--or they would want to eat it. Also, not everyone has good nutrition skills. Some people have undiagnosed medical issues.

$1 for a small bowl of cereal not including milk is not cheap compared to a double cheeseburger for $1, especially calories wise. And a bowl of cereal is hardly a meal. It does not help that American servings are huge and contain too many calories. People are not well-educated on nutrition.

We don't do any fast food either (I am a veg and there are no typical joint around here). But I am a single parent (and my son and I have different dietary needs), and while putting myself through grad school I worked 2 jobs, and I ate a whole lot of instant rice and soup*. Thankfully I am done and have more time so I can cook. But I know better than to judge others.

I think it's great you have a way to eat healthy, but it's not always easy. And not everyone has the tools, time, money and ability that everyone else has.

*Even more confounding--I managed to stay slender even while eating like total crap. Apparently, it's about more than just food.

Poverty and the state of your appliances (if you have any, or any that work right) affects what kinds of food people purchase and eat. A bag of potato chips will keep in any temperature, whether or not your electric has been shut off, or if your landlord won't fix the door on the fridge. A fresh vegetable medley will NOT keep. Nor will a nice salmon fillet. Poverty and eating "good" foods just doesn't mix too well . . . education about food choices won't do a thing if you can't even cook or store them safely.

Petey Girl and Miss Scarlett, your posts both bear repeating. You both make great points.

And further prove it's not that black and white.

Just another POV: Does anyone else GAIN weight when eating "healthy"? I do. If you give me fresh vegetables & fruit at every meal I can gain 5-10 pounds a week until I give up and go back to my old (normal) eating habits.
My weight is "normal" or "healthy" unless I try to eat extremely healthy, then I just balloon up. Weird, huh?

Thanks, Mae. I do think that mgardener was just trying to be helpful. Although, you are correct that there are still many assumptions made about many people who just don't have the resources to buy healthy foods. It's not always one thing, I think, but when you truly have almost no time and have transportation problems and don't have the money to buy not just in bulk, but even just more economical packages, and so on (not even including the storing and cooking part), it really gets difficult. And with all of those problems someone is surely dealing with many others that get in the way of many health habits. Not getting enough sleep can really affect a person, even putting them in a pre-diabetic state.

Pandora, I used to be really thin when I ate junk. I think I'd eat just enough junk to satisfy myself then didn't really need anything else. Whereas, with healthful foods I don't always have that satiety, so I end up eating more to compensate. I recently had a friend tell me about the diet she is on, but that she eats fat more than the two times a week for this very reason.

ETA: And let's not forget how bad the sodium is in prepackaged foods!

I have two of the Eat This, Not That books and love them. Even my son likes to look at one of them. It's not a diet, nor are they saying "eat this," but pointing out that instead of "that" you could eat "this" and save many calories or fat, etc. And sometimes one food is an "eat this" in one section, but not in another. The reason could be that it's a better choice than something else in one case, like getting your own portions from a big bag, but not in another like with individual bags because people tend to eat the whole serving/bag, which is much larger than they were years ago. That's why I was excited to find those small bags of nuts I mentioned earlier. I think I'm pretty good at reading labels, but still feel I've learned some things from those books. And found some things I was doing right already. I really have trouble getting my husband to look at labels. I've bought V8 Fusion for our son (and husband sometimes), which is just fruit and vegetable juice, but he bought V8 Splash, which is some fruit and vegetable with lots of water and high fructose corn syrup. Not the same at all, even though it seems to have a healthy label of V8. Same goes for yogurt. I bought one brand for our son, but my husband bought another because it was cheaper. I asked him if he saw me take the one I bought and add just another dollop of yogurt then add a bunch of high fructose corn syrup to reach the calorie count in the other would he let him eat it? The answer was no, of course, but when the manufacturer has already added it people don't think about what they are really eating, I think. It had more calories, but only about 1% more calcium and maybe one more gram of protein; that means it's mostly hfcs that's the difference. I try to pack as much nutritional bang for the buck in what our son eats.

Has anyone read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food? I've read the article he wrote years ago that was the basis for it and have it, but have not yet read it. I think he makes really good points, though. If your grandparents wouldn't recognize it as food don't eat it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macattack
Back