Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
GlitchWizard said:
No kidding. I'd want to get some kind of wart remover to get rid of it! How in the way can you GET?

Some of them are small enough that wart remover might just work! :rolleyes:

IrishMist said:
JessieBell, I always tell them the same thing...

It's YOUR book, YOUR rules, YOU got to Hell! :D
Yeah exactly! It's like a child telling me that their closet monster is going to eat me because I didn't cross myself after spilling salt.

Jessiebell said:
Yeah exactly! It's like a child telling me that their closet monster is going to eat me because I didn't cross myself after spilling salt.
Silly Jessie, you throw a pinch over your left shoulder after spilling salt!!
punch.gif

Jeana (DP) said:
Believe me, I'm certainly not advocating that anyone stay in an abusive marriage. My comment was aimed more towards those divorces of convenience where the selfishness of the adults takes precedence over the needs of the children. Staying in an abusive marriage is never the right thing to do. Staying in an abusive marriage teaches the children that its the "norm" and the cycle continues and the children feel worthless. I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone should live that way and I apologize if I came across that way.

Jeana what if it's the situation where the parents are no longer in love with each other? Maybe they aren't happy in the current marriage b/c there has just been too many hardships, emotional let down, whatever. Do you think the kids would be better off with the parents staying married for the sake of the children?

jubie said:
James Chamberlain is a teacher here in British Columbia and he's a HUGE advocate for books about same sex parent books being available to teachers as support material. My son was in his kindergarten class nine years ago. What a great year. As a teacher he was amazing with the kids and I'd say the 'book' thing was like a nano second compared to the rest of the school year. My son turned out just fine. The books are not sex guides, they simply tell a story and the characters just happen to be gay parents.

Ghosts and goblins are great for halloween but we can't tell a story that has two moms that love eachother in it?

I guess those that would not want this material in schools are most likely to let their children know they feel being gay is wrong. How anyone can say it's their place to judge how two consenting adults show eachother love behind closed doors is beyond me.

Jubie
I love the idea of those books. It just plain introduces the idea that these people exist and are families - so that our kids don't laugh at little Johnny when his moms or dads come to the school play. So the next generation is more tolerant than ours.

IrishMist said:
Silly Jessie, you throw a pinch over your left shoulder after spilling salt!!
punch.gif
:D - and if I don't a little smiley head comes out and smacks my forhead.

Nova said:
While I agreed above that for some people, religious faith is a great source of ethical behavior, I absolutely agree with Jessie and IM that it is not the ONLY source of ethical behavior.
This is so true.

Princy said:

Jeana what if it's the situation where the parents are no longer in love with each other? Maybe they aren't happy in the current marriage b/c there has just been too many hardships, emotional let down, whatever. Do you think the kids would be better off with the parents staying married for the sake of the children?

Sometimes. Every case should be taken on its own merit, but my feeling is that adults have had their chance. We all know that children (most, but not all) of divorce have a more difficult time in life than children from a stable home. I think that you need to earn your way out of a marriage. If you read stories of children who take drugs, commit crimes, etc., nine times out of ten, you'll hear the word "divorce" in there and that's usually when the kids start to go downhill. I think that "love" is something that we have to work on. If people put half the energy into their marriages as they do other things, maybe there's a way to fall "back in love."

[QUOTE=Jeana (DP)]... I think that you need to earn your way out of a marriage. If you read stories of children who take drugs, commit crimes, etc., nine times out of ten, you'll hear the word "divorce" in there and that's usually when the kids start to go downhill. I think that "love" is something that we have to work on. If people put half the energy into their marriages as they do other things, maybe there's a way to fall "back in love."[/QUOTE]

I don't know about this one. How does 1 earn their way out of a marriage?
I have no doubt that alot of the criminals, druggies etc come from a broken home, but there is always that 1 or 2 where the parents are like WTH???
I've seen situations where the couple stayed together until the kids are older or grown and then get the divorce and the kids are pondering why they waited so long? Or the kids are so messed up b/c they grew up in home where they were never exposed to a loving couple. That's a few therapy sessions!
Life is too short to not do whatever you can to make it happy. Sometimes you have to love someone enough to let them go be happy.

Jeana (DP) said:
Sometimes. Every case should be taken on its own merit, but my feeling is that adults have had their chance. We all know that children (most, but not all) of divorce have a more difficult time in life than children from a stable home. I think that you need to earn your way out of a marriage. If you read stories of children who take drugs, commit crimes, etc., nine times out of ten, you'll hear the word "divorce" in there and that's usually when the kids start to go downhill. I think that "love" is something that we have to work on. If people put half the energy into their marriages as they do other things, maybe there's a way to fall "back in love."
It's all such a domino effect isn't it?!

If we taught more TOLERANCE then kids would grow up more confident with better self-esteem, which is essential in good decision making and provides them the ability to chose someone that is truly a good partner (not to mention helps in providing the tools we need to engage in healthy relationships) so that life time commitment to each other and children becomes something you work happily for and not somethig you struggle miserably with...

And forcing gay people to marry straight just to conform to relgious opinion is one of the worst marriage foundations you could create.

Nova said:
Alas, jubie, here in the States some of the same parents who are most opposed to any mention of same-sex parents have also forbidden any mention of ghosts and goblins. On the ground that these are "demonic" or "pagan" beings.

Once you start down the road of legislating your superstitions...
When parents started getting Halloween removed from schools, I warned people it would set a precedent that might come back to haunt them, no pun intended. It in some cases, as you said, it has done so. No one listened to me then, either, hmph.

Nova said:
Now if we could just get the message to your party leaders...

Actually, in gay-majority Palm Springs, we have plenty of Republicans who are gay themselves. But don't get me started on that.
Or she could switch parties, instead. There's a novel idea.

Jeana (DP) said:
Actually, those stories include more children where the fathers were not present at all from birth...leaving a single parent to raise their kids alone.

Getting a divorce isn't the problem...it is putting the children in the middle of an adult fight where they feel insecure and emotionally torn between the parents who have to rage around them. Parents need to grow up. If you treat your ex with respect no matter how much you disagree...the children thrive in spite of you not living together. It is called placing their needs over all else.

There isn't a way to "fall back in love", but what we have to do is remember that we were once friends with our ex and have to find our way back to that point. If you have to "pretend" you like each other long enough...one day you wake up and realize you aren't pretending anymore.

IrishMist said:
JessieBell, I always tell them the same thing...

It's YOUR book, YOUR rules, YOU got to Hell! :D

:clap:
i knew I liked you i/m...!

jubie said:
James Chamberlain is a teacher here in British Columbia and he's a HUGE advocate for books about same sex parent books being available to teachers as support material. My son was in his kindergarten class nine years ago. What a great year. As a teacher he was amazing with the kids and I'd say the 'book' thing was like a nano second compared to the rest of the school year. My son turned out just fine. The books are not sex guides, they simply tell a story and the characters just happen to be gay parents.

Ghosts and goblins are great for halloween but we can't tell a story that has two moms that love eachother in it?

I guess those that would not want this material in schools are most likely to let their children know they feel being gay is wrong. How anyone can say it's their place to judge how two consenting adults show eachother love behind closed doors is beyond me.

Jubie
bolded by j2m
great post Jubie

Dark Knight said:
When parents started getting Halloween removed from schools, I warned people it would set a precedent that might come back to haunt them, no pun intended. It in some cases, as you said, it has done so. No one listened to me then, either, hmph.

DK, I always listen to you. Really, I do, even though we often disagree.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

At least Catholicism allows room for mystery and wonder and imagination. There, I said it!

Nova said:
DK, I always listen to you. Really, I do, even though we often disagree.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

At least Catholicism allows room for mystery and wonder and imagination. There, I said it!
You are just neat-o Nova.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back