Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Notre Dame Fire Ravages Iconic Paris Cathedral | HuffPost
[...]

Firefighters responded to the scene around 7 p.m. local time on Monday, Le Monde reported.

The gravity of the fire is still to be determined, but firefighters told the local news outlet that the blaze began in the cathedral’s attic.

5cb4d8a82a0000460a4f8f2f.jpeg

The fire is “potentially linked” to renovation work in the building, firefighters told Agence France-Presse.

[...]

André Finot, a spokesperson for the cathedral, expressed concern that the fire’s destruction will be beyond repair.

“Everything is burning. The framework, which dates from the 19th century on one side and the 13th century on the other, there will be nothing left,” he told Le Monde. “We have to see if the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not.”

Emmanuel Grégoire, first deputy to the mayor, said on local station BFM TV, according to Le Monde, that they have begun working “to try to save all the works of art that can be [saved.]”

[...]

Many videos and tweets within the article

Wonder why this is being considered for criminal investigation?
That may be the reporter's assumption? This is the only report of this I've seen so far but every time I refresh my screen, I see 100 or so more tweets in a variety of different languages. :eek: The firefighters are saying it's related to the construction and that the fire began in the attic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. MOO

Last edited:
They are not sure if they can actually contain the fire. I think they are just trying very hard for the fire to not destroy anything else around the Cathedral. Those poor firefighters, my God.
I know many are under the impression that they started working on the fire very late but the whole evacuation proccess was very well done. I am amazed that nobody got killed or hurt. Everyone respecting LE's orders and staying somewhat away. Reporters saying that people are just in the streets looking at the fire in absolute silence, a lot of them crying.

Any news about evacuation of the neighborhood? I haven't been there - is it residential, business? I haven't heard if they are moving people away.

jmo
Both. Next to the cathedral are many side streets with cafes and shops. But there are also apartment buildings on this island and the smaller one next to it (Saint Louis). Extremely exclusive neighborhoods

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...paign=bffbbuzzfeedvideo&ref=bffbbuzzfeedvideo
sub-buzz-22758-1555351542-1.jpg

Video and photos posted on social media showed flames engulfing the church, before both the ceiling and the 90-meter (295 feet) — spire collapsed, drawing gasps and moans of disbelief from witnesses.

Police said there were no deaths and it is unclear if there were any injuries. The fire broke out just before 7 p.m., minutes after the cathedral closed to the public. Around 30,000 people visit the church daily.

Church spokesperson André Finot told French media that the entire wooden interior, which dates from the 13th century, is burning and likely to be destroyed.

"Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame," Finot said.

[...]

Around 8.30 p.m. local time, around an hour and a half after the fire began, video footage no longer showed huge flames as firefighters began to get the fire under control.

sub-buzz-16632-1555357389-1.jpg

[...]

President of U.S. Bishops’ Conference Issues Statement on Notre Dame Cathedral Fire

April 15, 2019
WASHINGTON—Amidst the devastating fire taking place at the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Pairs, Daniel Cardinal DiNardo, Archbishop of Galveston-Houston and President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops issued a statement to the people of Paris.

The full statement follows:

“The horrific fire that is engulfing the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris is shocking and saddens us all, for this particular cathedral is not only a majestic Church, it is also a world treasure. Noble in architecture and art, it has long been a symbol of the transcendent human spirit as well as our longing for God. Our hearts go out to the Archbishop and the people of Paris, and we pray for all the people of France, entrusting all to the prayers and intercession of the Mother of God, especially the firefighters battling the fire. We are a people of hope and of the resurrection, and as devastating as this fire is, I know that the faith and love embodied by this magnificent Cathedral will grow stronger in the hearts of all Christians.”

I understand that, but what crime might they be considering? Arson or some other direct act that started the fire? The conflagration allegedly started shortly after the cathedral was closed to visitors for the day.
I don't know if it's the same in France as it's here in Sweden, but every fire is investigated as arson first, until they find a cause, be it found to be accidental or not. Better start with a criminal investigation, so that nothing is missed in the first days.

I understand that, but what crime might they be considering? Arson or some other direct act that started the fire? The fire allegedly started shortly after the cathedral was closed to visitors for the day.
I'm wondering if any investigation into a fire (especially of this magnitude) is technically a criminal investigation? Even if the cause is from construction, there might be a crime in the sense that legal procedures might not have been followed in terms of safety, cleanliness, etc. I'm also sure that a fire during Holy Week at a famous cathedral will also include questions about terrorism, criminal intent, etc. It's all on the table, imo.

But, I think it's too early to read anything specific into the investigation.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth
Back