Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/n...source=twCNN&utm_term=image&utm_medium=social
http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190415161946-04-notre-dame-architecture.jpg

A "forest" of wooden latticework inside Notre Dame Cathedral fueled the fire that consumed the iconic church.

Andre Finot, a spokesman for Notre Dame, said there's a risk "nothing will remain" from the frame. The cathedral's wooden frame, which primarily consists of oak, contains beams that date as far back as the first frame built for the cathedral. That frame features trees cut down between 1160 and 1170, forming one of the oldest parts of the structure.

[...]

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190415173024-02-notre-dame-wood-frame.jpg

Trees used to make the wood frame were likey 300 or 400 years old. Credit: From Notre Dame De Paris/Maurice de Sully association

[...]

Crown of Thorns: Fears for Notre Dame Cathedral's most precious relic in huge fire

Fears are growing that Notre Dame’s most precious treasure, a relic venerated as the Crown of Thorns worn by Jesus Christ, could have been badly damaged or destroyed in the fire.

The Crown of Thorns, considered Paris’s equivalent of the Crown Jewels, is stored at the end of a nave of the cathedral, not readily visible to visitors.

Said to have been worn by Christ before the crucifixion, it is presented to believers for veneration on the first Friday of each month and every Friday during Lent.

It is one of three holy artefacts, along with a fragment of the True Cross and one of the Holy Nails from the crucifixion.

I’m sorry but I have a hard time believing this is accidental. I sure hope so. Holy Week. Odd coincidence.

Last edited:
It is not going to be able to be rebuilt in the same way it was. It is impossible, imo. Not trying to be negative, just being real.

We cannot do what the craftsman of that time did, with the resources they had. They used oak from 54 acres of Oak Trees to build the beams. That cannot happen again, as far as I can see.
True, but once we get over the shock, we are going to see it's okay that it won't be the same. We can't go back, but we can move forward.

It might even mean a renaissance of the skills needed to make an old-style cathedral. Plus, adding a modern touch will now be part of the legacy. Please include a state-of-the-art fire-protection system!

It's not going to be the same, but it's going to be okay.

What an emotional day - shock, despair, hope and maybe even a little excitement mixed with the mourning to see what the future will bring.

jmo

I’m sorry but I have a hard time believing this is accidental. I sure hope so.
I'm totally open to the idea of accidental (unless evidence proves otherwise, of course).

Many devastating fires have been accidental. This is not unique in terms of historical fires.

We await evidence, of course, but I'm going to assume the best for the moment. And "the best" in this case is that it was an accident or negligence, but not purposeful. To be confirmed.

jmo

Paris' Notre Dame 'saved from total destruction', fire official says, after blaze ravages cathedral
[...]

The official estimated it could up to seven hours from the initial outbreak to contain the fire, French24 television reported, but the official said the two towers have now been saved. That news come as a sign of relief after one of the towers caught fire earlier in the evening. Earlier, a French Interior Ministry official had said that firefighters might not be able to save the cathedral.

[...]

One fireman was “seriously injured,” an official said.

[...]

The Paris prosecutor’s office opened an investigation into the fire soon after the damage begun. Late Monday, prosecutors said their preliminary findings suggested the huge fire was started accidentally.

Firefighters at the scene directed much of their efforts towards saving the artwork stored at the back of the cathedral, which had been undergoing renovations.

[...]

Paris' Notre Dame 'saved from total destruction', fire official says, after blaze ravages cathedral
[...]

The official estimated it could up to seven hours from the initial outbreak to contain the fire, French24 television reported, but the official said the two towers have now been saved. That news come as a sign of relief after one of the towers caught fire earlier in the evening. Earlier, a French Interior Ministry official had said that firefighters might not be able to save the cathedral.

[...]

One fireman was “seriously injured,” an official said.

[...]

The Paris prosecutor’s office opened an investigation into the fire soon after the damage begun. Late Monday, prosecutors said their preliminary findings suggested the huge fire was started accidentally.

Firefighters at the scene directed much of their efforts towards saving the artwork stored at the back of the cathedral, which had been undergoing renovations.

[...]
Amazing fire-fighting work today, in my non-expert opinion. No lives lost, fire didn't spread, building was spared in part, no/little damage (that we know of) to surrounding buildings. Dignified in the face of the world watching.

Well done, Paris.

jmo

If it was criminal, it's going to be really hard to prove it if everything is just... gone.

I dont think so. The fire investigators will be able to determine what they need.

They have that capability even if it was burned down to ashes only.

It is very strange the fire erupted just 5 or 6 minutes after everyone had left for the day.

Imo, but they will get to the bottom of the causation.

I would say it is most likely an accident although there could still be serious liability for anyone who caused it even accidently.

Imo

Last edited:
I dont think so. The fire investigators will be able to determine what they need.

They have that capability even if it was burned down to ashes only.

It is very strange the fire erupted just 5 or 6 minutes after everyone had left for the day.

Imo, but they will get to the bottom of the causation.

Imo

It didn't erupt 5 or 6 minutes after everyone had left for the day, it erupted 15 minutes before the last tour of the day ended. The tourists and staff had to be evacuated from the building.

Similar happened to York Minster and Windsor Castle during renovations, its not really hard to believe. I'm sure the investigation will be thorough though.
I'm seeing photos of the old wooden beams and wishing we could go back in time to let the workers know that HUNDREDS of years after they assembled the structure, their work would be admired - and the entire world would mourn when it burned. They certainly would understand a structure being destroyed by fire. Today seems sort of an opportunity to connect with people from the past through the collective, universal experiences of creation and loss. (I'm getting philosophical now that the worst is over, lol!)

jmo

True, but once we get over the shock, we are going to see it's okay that it won't be the same. We can't go back, but we can move forward.

It might even mean a renaissance of the skills needed to make an old-style cathedral. Plus, adding a modern touch will now be part of the legacy. Please include a state-of-the-art fire-protection system!

It's not going to be the same, but it's going to be okay.

What an emotional day - shock, despair, hope and maybe even a little excitement mixed with the mourning to see what the future will bring.

jmo

Great Post. Thanks

A Notre Dame cathedral priest has claimed that all precious artefacts and artwork have been saved from the historic building.

"Good news: all the works of art were saved. The treasure of the Cathedral is intact, the Crown of thorns, the Holy sacraments," Nicolas Delesalle tweeted.

Twitter

Wow! Great news from a tragedy.

Amazing fire-fighting work today, in my non-expert opinion. No lives lost, fire didn't spread, building was spared in part, no/little damage (that we know of) to surrounding buildings. Dignified in the face of the world watching.

Well done, Paris.

jmo

I have been thinking the same thing. God Bless.

Scroll back. This was posted

The prosecutors' office said late Monday they have ruled out arson in the fire, including possible terror-related motives for starting the blaze.

French Leader Vows to Rebuild Damaged Notre Dame Cathedral
Inaccurate reporting, probably caused by sloppy translation from the French. The prosecutors are treating it as an accident for now, how they end up treating it will depend on where the investigation leads them.

Scroll back. This was posted

The prosecutors' office said late Monday they have ruled out arson in the fire, including possible terror-related motives for starting the blaze.

French Leader Vows to Rebuild Damaged Notre Dame Cathedral
I'm not fire expert, but I do know that fire investigation is a very sophisticated science. Perhaps they can tell by the way the fire spread that it wasn't arson. I have no idea! I will be watching for more info on the investigation, but for now, I am accepting preliminary reports that it looks like an accident. It's early. More info will come.

I sure hope it was an accident.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo