Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“The Paris prosecutors' office says investigators are treating the blaze that destroyed part of Notre Dame as an accident for now.

The prosecutors' office said late Monday they have ruled out arson in the fire, including possible terror-related motives for starting the blaze.”

Two somewhat contradictory sentences side by side. Besides the usual reporting problems, it’s possible that nuances are being lost/distorted in translation.

I'm not fire expert, but I do know that fire investigation is a very sophisticated science. Perhaps they can tell by the way the fire spread that it wasn't arson. I have no idea! I will be watching for more info on the investigation, but for now, I am accepting preliminary reports that it looks like an accident. It's early. More info will come.

I sure hope it was an accident.

jmo

My friend is a firefighter and says you can smell if accelerants (such as petrol) were used as soon as you go in. She said it's the best time to smell it, before you get into the smoke.

Still, I can't see how they can rule anything in or out just yet, but be sure there will be a very thorough investigation. Bet the renovation contractors, or whoever was working up in the roof, are absolutely bricking it.

"Many observers wondered why airplanes were not dropping water on the inferno, as firefighters do to combat forest fires. But the cathedral's urban setting makes such a mission too dangerous: It would involve dropping perhaps 6 tons of water, an unsafe proposition in a densely populated city. The intervention could destroy the cathedral in the effort to save it.

France's civil defense agency tweeted that a large drop of water could cause the entire structure to collapse and endanger the firefighters below."

Fire Engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris; Spire Collapses, Towers Still Standing

Lol, this headline is misleading. From the article:

“The condition of the cathedral, especially under the effect of pollution in the last decades, has strongly deteriorated,” said Michel Picaud, a Parisian-born engineer and archaeologist who is leading the fundraiser. “We have decided to finance this program of restoration with private funds."

Part of that effort includes the formation of two foundations, one in France and one in the U.S., where more than two thousand donors have already contributed about a quarter of the $185 million goal.

Lol, this headline is misleading. From the article:

“The condition of the cathedral, especially under the effect of pollution in the last decades, has strongly deteriorated,” said Michel Picaud, a Parisian-born engineer and archaeologist who is leading the fundraiser. “We have decided to finance this program of restoration with private funds."

Part of that effort includes the formation of two foundations, one in France and one in the U.S., where more than two thousand donors have already contributed about a quarter of the $185 million goal.
Yep, and nothing to do with the fire-fighting, lol.

skynews-notre-dame-altar_4641049.jpg

skynews-notre-dame-interior_4641050.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190415191421-17-notre-dame-fire-unfurled.jpg

MW-HH650_inside_ZH_20190415190634.jpg

12318788-6925015-image-a-14_1555368052079.jpg

Ce que l'on sait de l'incendie qui a ravagé Notre-Dame de Paris

An investigation opened for "involuntary destruction by fire"; workmen are questioned.

An investigation has been opened for "unintentional destruction by fire," the Paris Public Prosecutor's Office announced. The possibility of an accidental fire starting from the construction site on the roof of the cathedral "attracts the attention of investigators in the investigation stage," a source close to the case said.

According to information from BFMTV, several people among the site workers were being heard by the investigators overnight.

Investigators began on the night from Monday to Tuesday to collect testimonies from people who worked on the Notre-Dame site, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.

BBM

I wonder what the plan was, both to prevent a fire and what to do in case of a fire.
No one seems to be surprised that this could happen, shocked yes, but surprise not so much. Lots of talk about old buidings, roofs and cobwebs, and examples of other fires like the one at Windsor Castle (1992).
It's all very well to explain why canadairs cannot be used, but does the responsibility stop there? The roof was still vulnerable. Water mist can be as effective as a lot of 'solid' water for instance. There are many historical buildings that might benefit from that. But apparently this has not happened.
I am very curious about the fire plan

Was France indeed willing to take risks with its most important cultural and historical heritage?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/notre-dame-cathedral-interior-still-at-risk-of-collapse-firefighters/
Notre Dame isn’t completely out of the woods — and firefighters will continue to battle the massive blaze at the landmark well into the night.

There’s a risk that some of the historic cathedral’s interior structures could collapse, said Paris fire chief Jean-Claude Gallet.

[...]

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo tweeted a photo of some of the works of arts saved from inside the cathedral thanks to a human chain.

One work left intact was Nicolas Coustou’s “Pietà,” pictures showed. The crown of thorns — said to be the wreath placed on the head of Jesus before he was crucified — and a tunic worn by St. Louis were also saved from flames, said Hidalgo.

Officials haven’t yet released an inventory of what works have been destroyed. Firefighters struggled to take down some of the large paintings in time, said Notre Dame’s top administrative cleric, Monsignor Patrick Chauvet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill
Back