Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't understand the question. How does a fire investigation occur? - is that your question?

Fire investigation is sophisticated and there are experts - it's definitely a science that has been studied. Not sure why anyone would doubt an investigation happened at possible the most famous fire of our time.

jmo
Post the article that states official fire investigators were at the scene and completed an investigation. There are none. There are only statement from government officials stating they determined it was an accident.

The fire being caused by a worker during renovations does not rule out arson IMO. The two are not mutually exclusive. I don't see how they can definitively rule out arson so quickly.

What caused the Notre Dame Cathedral fire? What we know about damage at the historic landmark

What caused the fire?
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but officials say it probably began as an accident during restoration work. The cathedral was in the midst of a $6.8 million renovation project. Arson was ruled out as well as possible terror-related motives, officials said.

It took 2 hours for fire trucks to arrive on the scene (CNN and FOX news reported this). Before the fire trucks had even arrived, government officials had declared the fire was an accident. That's suspicious.

Post the article that states official fire investigators were at the scene and completed an investigation. There are none. There are only statement from government officials stating they determined it was an accident.
Never said they COMPLETED the investigation.

I responded to your post that there was no investigation. (See post 377 in which you wrote, "It's baffling that no investigation had occurred.")

There is an active investigation. At this point, they believe the fire was accidental. From this morning:

Notre Dame assessed for structural damage after fire extinguished
[...]

Police have begun questioning workers who were carrying out renovations at the cathedral. The Paris prosecutor’s office has opened an inquiry into “involuntary destruction by fire”, indicating they believe the cause of the blaze was accidental rather than criminal.

[...]

It took 2 hours for fire trucks to arrive on the scene (CNN and FOX news reported this). Before the fire trucks had even arrived, government officials had declared the fire was an accident. That's suspicious.

Yes I heard 2 hours as well, that dang traffic.

French President Macron hopes to rebuild Notre-Dame in five years - Reuters
[...]

Paris public prosecutor Remy Heitz said there was no obvious indication the fire was arson. Fifty people were working on what would be a long and complex investigation, officials said.

[...]

What caused the Notre Dame Fire? Inquiry calls blaze an accident, rules out arson
[...]

"It will be a long, complex investigation, which will combine police work with technical elements and expertise," an unnamed police official told Le Monde. The official added that the case was “extraordinary,” despite there having been no casualties.

[...]

Just my opine, it’s too early even now to imply anything, even accidental.
Yes, I agree, though I take it a bit further to say - imo - I accept "accidental" until evidence proves otherwise.

As of now, there is no evidence that a deliberate crime has been committed. Nobody has claimed that the investigation is complete and nobody has found evidence that it was arson, but indications seem to be it was caused by the construction work happening where the fire started.

Whew.

jmo

French President Macron hopes to rebuild Notre-Dame in five years - Reuters
[...]

Paris public prosecutor Remy Heitz said there was no obvious indication the fire was arson. Fifty people were working on what would be a long and complex investigation, officials said.

[...]

What caused the Notre Dame Fire? Inquiry calls blaze an accident, rules out arson
[...]

"It will be a long, complex investigation, which will combine police work with technical elements and expertise," an unnamed police official told Le Monde. The official added that the case was “extraordinary,” despite there having been no casualties.

[...]
It will be interesting not only to investigate how the fire started, but how it spread. I'm hopeful the investigation will help advance fire-fighting and fire-prevention knowledge in large, old spaces like cathedrals and other difficult-to-access places. It's already a field of knowledge, and this case might add to it.

And, I hope firefighters in urban areas around the world study how it was handled. No loss of life in a tourist area! Only a couple of injuries. Fantastic.

As tragic as the fire was, amazing things also happened.

jmo

Last edited:
It will be interesting not only to investigate how the fire started, but how it spread. I'm hopeful the investigation will help advance fire-fighting and fire-prevention knowledge in large, old spaces like cathedrals and other difficult-to-access places. It's already a field of knowledge, and this case might add to it.

And, I hope firefighters in urban areas around the world study how it was handled. No loss of life in a tourist area! Only a couple of injuries. Fantastic.

As tragic as the fire was, amazing things also happened.

jmo
I'm no expert, but I don't find the way it spread unusual. The attic was wood - very, very old wood - the roof was wood. Add in the wind and the unfortunate delays that firefighters encountered in getting there and it becomes a recipe for disaster. Still, by all accounts (credible sources, anyway), they did an outstanding job of putting out the fire, saving artifacts, and if I understand correctly, limiting injuries to just one firefighter out of 400-500. I have no doubt that all aspects (cause, response, etc.) will be studied in depth for years to come.

Yes, it will be interesting! :)

Digital blueprint means Notre Dame can be restored to former glory

Using a laser, historian Andrew Tallon collected more than one billion data points by taking scans of various locations throughout the cathedral in 2015, according to this National Geographic profile. Then he wove all of them together to recreate the entire structure in striking, three-dimensional detail.

That’s a good thing, too, because Tallon’s research uncovered loads of previously unknown information about the construction of Notre Dame. Even though he died in November, Tallon’s work combined with the fundraising campaign means the cathedral’s interior, roof and spire can all be restored in time

4 minute video also at link.

I'm no expert, but I don't find the way it spread unusual. The attic was wood - very, very old wood - the roof was wood. Add in the wind and the unfortunate delays that firefighters encountered in getting there and it becomes a recipe for disaster. Still, by all accounts (credible sources, anyway), they did an outstanding job of putting out the fire, saving artifacts, and if I understand correctly, limiting injuries to just one firefighter out of 400-500. I have no doubt that all aspects (cause, response, etc.) will be studied in depth for years to come.

Yes, it will be interesting! :)
I don't think it was unusual either. I simply meant the fire is worthy of study and it has potential to add to the body of knowledge of fires, fire-fighting, and prevention.

jmo

I don't think it was unusual either. I simply meant the fire is worthy of study and it has potential to add to the body of knowledge of fires, fire-fighting, and prevention.

jmo
Absolutely. And, I didn't mean to imply that you thought it was unusual - I may have worded that poorly. I apologize! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeofLife
Back