Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
France is a different country that has its own way of doing things. In the USA, everyone sues everyone because they might get rich. Everyone knows this.

Bankrupting a company that restores 800 year old buildings may not be in the best interests of France or the Notre Dame Cathedral.

That is one of the reasons that I was asking who was the insurance for them as the insurance company would be the one who would subrogate?

I cannot even fathom what type of insurance they would have carried. I have not seen it in the media yet.

I don't know how insurance companies subrogate in France, and may be totally different from US.

I would expect media reports to talk about that in the future.

Major European insurers expect France to bear the bulk of the cost of rebuilding the Notre-Dame Cathedral after a fire tore through the eight-centuries-old Paris landmark on Monday.

“It is really going to be up to the French state and benefactors to help to restore and rebuild this,” Robert Read, head of art and private client at Lloyd’s of London insurer Hiscox told Reuters...
Insurers expect France to bear Notre-Dame rebuilding cost - Reuters

Was the potential for catastrophic loss so high that no one would insure Notre Dame Cathedral or was the cost of insurance prohibitive?

763BDF3F-A597-4C1A-AD9A-E7F47BB1A327.jpeg

Social media is ablaze with people saying they can see Jesus in the flames of Notre Dame after mother 'spots the figure in photograph'

Mother 'spots Jesus' in the flames of Notre Dame | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Mail website is ridiculous a lot of the time. Can any of you see the Lord? I think this lady needs a trip to the opticians. Great choice of words on the headline too.

The reality of it is definitely surreal. The tragedy and destruction, yet photographs of this shows that the building still stands. It looks nothing like expected as an outcome yesterday, it looks like something to be moving forward, to itself resurrect.

The builders, they did a great job. And to this day, Architects still are in awe of how they did it.

ETA I am assuming they are sending in drones to take many of these photographs?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190416-233843_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-233843_Chrome.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 16
But for some people in France, Notre Dame has also served as a deep-seated symbol of resentment, a monument to a deeply flawed institution and an idealized Christian European France that arguably never existed in the first place. “The building was so overburdened with meaning that its burning feels like an act of liberation,” says Patricio del Real, an architecture historian at Harvard University.
Notre Dame Cathedral Raises Questions About France’s National Identity – Rolling Stone

And people wonder how there is speculation that the fire was arson and not an accident?

“….it would be a mistake to view the building as little more than a Paris tourist attraction,” says John Harwood, an architectural historian and associate professor at the University of Toronto. “It’s literally a political monument,” he says.
Notre Dame Cathedral Raises Questions About France’s National Identity – Rolling Stone

Notre Dame Cathedral, a Christian church, would have had 100,000 worshippers attend one of their many Easter services this weekend. There were 9,000 seats.

Last edited:
Any rebuilding should be a reflection not of an old France, or the France that never was — a non-secular, white European France — but a reflection of the France of today, a France that is currently in the making. It is to repeat past errors, category errors of thought, and one has to imagine that if anything is done to the building it has to be an expression of what we want — the Catholics of France, the French people — want. What is an expression of who we are now? What does it represent, who is it for?,” he says.

Notre Dame Cathedral should no longer be a church where the God of the Holy Trinity is worshipped? It should be rebuilt as a secular, multi-cultural building?

Last edited:
How can these things simultaneously occur at the same time, and still be called an accident?

What are the odds of that occurring I wonder?

Imo

My interpretation ( as this is not a fire investigator or anybody close to knowing if there was a second fire at the same time) that this was poorly worded in my opinion. And if somebody was going to say something like this that there were indeed two fires that were started at the same time, it would not be coming from this American fundraising guy.

As to any fire in the north bell tower, I am assuming it was a result of the other fire moving to it.

Moo, from the linked story...

"Michel Picaud of the Friends of Notre Dame, a U.S.-based foundation dedicated to fundraising for the cathedral's reconstruction efforts, said the entire roof was destroyed."

"The fire started up near the roof top, while another fire started in the north bell tower," Picaud told NBC News. "All damage seems to be up high and did not go into the lower part of church or touch the organ or stained-glass windows."

My interpretation ( as this is not a fire investigator or anybody close to knowing if there was a second fire at the same time) that this was poorly worded in my opinion. And if somebody was going to say something like this that there were indeed two fires that were started at the same time, it would not be coming from this American fundraising guy.

As to any fire in the north bell tower, I am assuming it was a result of the other fire moving to it.

Moo, from the linked story...

"Michel Picaud of the Friends of Notre Dame, a U.S.-based foundation dedicated to fundraising for the cathedral's reconstruction efforts, said the entire roof was destroyed."

"The fire started up near the roof top, while another fire started in the north bell tower," Picaud told NBC News. "All damage seems to be up high and did not go into the lower part of church or touch the organ or stained-glass windows."

" it would not be coming from this American fundraising guy."

Exactly!

" it would not be coming from this American fundraising guy."

Exactly!
Yes. Sources matter. There are fire experts opining on the fire - fascinating information to learn!

Thanks, PommyMommy for the photos of the interior - I agree with others that they are awe-inspiring. I'm looking forward to what the renovation/restoration work will bring.

jmo

Apologies if already linked.

Notre Dame fire alarm went off 23 minutes before blaze was found

(spokesman for the Paris emergency services)

He confirmed that when the fire broke out, the cathedral's alarms started and the visitors inside Notre Dame were quickly evacuated.

Andre Finot, communication manager of the Cathedral said: "At the moment, we don’t know why the cathedral caught fire.

"Normally, there should be no more workers on the site because they are supposed to stop between 5pm and 5:30pm at the latest. But we are not sure there was no one left on the site".

bbm

Hoping everyone got out safely.
Looking at google pics. was confused for a moment by pics from gaming sites showing pics. of that church on fire. fwiw, imo.
Sorry to quote my own post, but had to laugh at how restoration help can arrive in unexpected ways!..rbbm.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/3d-maps-rebuild-notre-dame-fire-assasins-creed-13769593.php
"Ph.D. student Hannah Groch-Begley shared the work of art historian Andrew Tallon, who used laser scanners to create an immaculately accurate model of the cathedral."

"Tallon's models aren't even the only immaculate models we have of Notre Dame. An even more unlikely hero has emerged: the video game "Assassin's Creed."
The video game series is known for its immaculate recreations of real-world places as its settings. "Assassin's Creed Unity" is set in Paris and an artist for the game, Caroline Miousse, told The Verge she spent two years finessing the appearance Notre Dame, down to each individual stone."

'Paris needs Notre Dame': Donations to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral near $1 billion
Donations neared the $1 billion mark and recovery efforts ramped up Wednesday at the charred Notre Dame Cathedral after priceless relics and historical treasures were reported saved from a devastating fire that left Paris – and much of the world – in a state of shock.

[...]

Engineers and historians are expected to put up a temporary roof to protect the cathedral from the elements, assess damage and salvage materials before beginning repairs that may take decades.

Gabriel Plus, a representative for the Paris Fire Brigade, said during a news conference with reporters Wednesday that at least 60 personnel from his organization remain at Notre Dame checking the cathedral’s structural integrity.

He said the building’s outer buttresses are secure but that some damaged stonework will be cleared. Scaffolding damaged in the fire — part of existing renovation works before the blaze — will also be removed.

Structural engineers, stained-glass experts and stone craftspeople from across the globe are expected to head to Paris to help with restorations in the next few weeks.

[...]

"Even though the circumstances are clearly very different, we in the U.S. know what it feels like to lose a symbol of your country," she said, referring to the collapse of the Twin Towers of New York City's World Trade Center during the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001.

Paris’ public prosecutor Remy Heitz said Tuesday the cause of the fire that tore through the cathedral, causing its wooden roof and spire to collapse, was not yet known, although investigators are "favoring the theory of an accident" possibly linked to extensive renovation works, he said. There were no signs of arson, Heitz said.

Some 30 people have already been questioned in the investigation, which Heitz warned would be “long and complex.” Among those questioned are workers at the five construction companies involved in renovating the church spire and roof when the fire broke out.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HisMedusa
Back