Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, that should be that Paterno did not know who the parents were, or the name of the victim. McQueary didn't, and doesn't know, either. Neither do the police.

He, Paterno didn't know ok but he didn't ask he just moved on with what was important to him and his silence protected a child predator.

Talk about every legal trick in the book - this statement by Amendola makes me want to throw up!

"Mr. Amendola said on Monday that he would ask for the charges to be dismissed if prosecutors did not provide more details about timing."

Karen Langley: klangley@post-gazette.com

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/penn_state_trustees_look_to_co.html

The new chairman of the Penn State board of trustees told members of the faculty senate today that the university has talked to officials at Cornell University about a smooth transition to becoming a private university.
Peetz.jpgView full sizeCHRIS KNIGHT/The Patriot-NewsPenn State trustees chairwoman Karen Peetz

Karen Peetz, elected chairwoman after the Jerry Sanusky sex abuse scandal rocked Penn State in November, stressed that the conversation was only exploratory, and said "this can't be rushed."

Peetz, during a reservation and question and answer session, said the Cornell model "is of great interest."

"I dont think that's going to be a quick decision," she said.

Transparency has been a prevailing theme since the board came under firing for its handling of the scandal and the decision to fire Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier.

Gov. Tom Corbett said the university will need to choose between continual state funding and its exemption from open records laws.

Peetz said the board's attorney is reviewing open records law

He, Paterno didn't know ok but he didn't ask he just moved on with what was important to him and his silence protected a child predator.

Yeah and all these caring people including Paterno who knew how serious it was and how it needed to be reported never wrote a single thing on paper about it. They met in homes and secret rooms away from people to talk about it. None of them filled out a report or wrote down a single statement. All their talks were off the record in other words.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/penn_state_trustees_look_to_co.html

The new chairman of the Penn State board of trustees told members of the faculty senate today that the university has talked to officials at Cornell University about a smooth transition to becoming a private university.
Peetz.jpgView full sizeCHRIS KNIGHT/The Patriot-NewsPenn State trustees chairwoman Karen Peetz

Karen Peetz, elected chairwoman after the Jerry Sanusky sex abuse scandal rocked Penn State in November, stressed that the conversation was only exploratory, and said "this can't be rushed."

Peetz, during a reservation and question and answer session, said the Cornell model "is of great interest."

"I dont think that's going to be a quick decision," she said.

Transparency has been a prevailing theme since the board came under firing for its handling of the scandal and the decision to fire Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier.

Gov. Tom Corbett said the university will need to choose between continual state funding and its exemption from open records laws.

Peetz said the board's attorney is reviewing open records law

Good grief! They'd rather go private and raise tuition than answer questions and shed light on their own actions.

If the university was a human being, that would be "consciousness of guilt."

As a state university Penn State attracts a lot of locals to their branch campuses like McKeesport and Johnstown etc. I can only imagine the costs per student if Penn State would go private - no way would these branch campuses draw PA students that can't get into the main campus - but wanted to graduate from Penn State. Penn State would be half the size it is now, if that, at private tuition rates.

What else are the powers that be in Happy Valley afraid to shine the light on?

And the famous Penn State football team and the alumni - who would they give to? Would love to know the name of the this private school.

The University of Pennsylvania is in Philly and they are not about to surrender their name.

Good grief! They'd rather go private and raise tuition than answer questions and shed light on their own actions.

If the university was a human being, that would be "consciousness of guilt."
Penn State doesn't want to go private. Penn State, Univ. of Pitt, and Temple are being forced to become private because the governor keeps axing of their funds (and other state universities) to reduce Pennsylvania's deficit.

The $230 million funding cut for Pittsburgh, Temple and Penn State is “a dismantling of a long commitment by the state to public higher education,” said University of Pittsburgh chancellor Mark Nordenberg at the state House Appropriations Committee hearing Wednesday.

“And we are being pushed in the direction of becoming private universities where tuition is much higher and in-state students get no discounts,” he said.
If the state-related universities become private, Nordenberg said, the schools also would offer fewer graduate programs for students.
The schools are called “state-related” because they have a long history of receiving taxpayer money, but are not owned or controlled by the state.
Earlier this month, Corbett announced his planned funding cuts as part of his $27.1 billion budget proposal.

The $230 million in savings would help plug a projected $719 million deficit, Corbett said. Such a cut would follow a 24-percent decrease, amounting to $144 million, in state aid this year.

http://statehousenewsonline.com/201...nts-pa-govs-cuts-could-lead-to-privatization/

There is no question that he should have been doing followup with Schultz and Curley. Beyond that, there is not too much more that could be done.

As a state university Penn State attracts a lot of locals to their branch campuses like McKeesport and Johnstown etc. I can only imagine the costs per student if Penn State would go private - no way would these branch campuses draw PA students that can't get into the main campus - but wanted to graduate from Penn State. Penn State would be half the size it is now, if that, at private tuition rates.

What else are the powers that be in Happy Valley afraid to shine the light on?

And the famous Penn State football team and the alumni - who would they give to? Would love to know the name of the this private school.

The University of Pennsylvania is in Philly and they are not about to surrender their name.
I have no idea how most will pay tuition if the governor continues to cut funds to state universities to reduce the state's deficit incurred by out-of-control spending. (I currently have two sons at Penn State and one at Univ of Pitt.) :furious:

There is no question that he should have been doing followup with Schultz and Curley. Beyond that, there is not too much more that could be done.

J.J. following your posts brings me back repeatedly to this board.

If the great and powerful OZ, I mean Joe Paterno went to the Pennsylvania State police one time and told them he had a FEELING yes a feeling that Sandusky was molesting children, or made a phone call to the head of CPS with a suspicion that one his former coaches was taking children to the Toftree Hotel and spending the night, he could have done more, a lot more to end Sandusky's access to children.

We probably will never agree on how much sooner the great and powerful Joe Paterno could have shut Jerry Sandusky down. It was the least Paterno could have done 12 years ago.

Talk about every legal trick in the book - this statement by Amendola makes me want to throw up!

"Mr. Amendola said on Monday that he would ask for the charges to be dismissed if prosecutors did not provide more details about timing."

Karen Langley: klangley@post-gazette.com

Counselor Amendola - ask your client Jerry Sandusky to fill you in on the details. He was there.

Counselor Amendola - ask your client Jerry Sandusky to fill you in on the details. He was there.
If TSM hadn't lost years of their computer records (cough cough), some of these dates could be determined through Jerry's expense reports and expense requests.

(I am still waiting to hear the investigation has begun on Dr. Jack Raykovitz, a child psychologist and the CEO of The Second Mile for 28 years. :furious:)

If TSM hadn't lost years of their computer records (cough cough), some of these dates could be determined through Jerry's expense reports and expense requests.

(I am still waiting to hear the investigation has begun on Dr. Jack Raykovitz, a child psychologist and the CEO of The Second Mile for 28 years. :furious:)

Pensfan, check out this post...I think the good dr. will be under the fed light pretty soon:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7672978&postcount=331"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8[/ame]

If the great and powerful OZ, I mean Joe Paterno went to the Pennsylvania State police one time and told them he had a FEELING yes a feeling that Sandusky was molesting children, or made a phone call to the head of CPS with a suspicion that one his former coaches was taking children to the Toftree Hotel and spending the night, he could have done more, a lot more to end Sandusky's access to children.

Paterno never knew about Toftrees. The only thing he had, in 2002, was a grad student who said he saw something; McQueary's status was not high at the time.

There are a couple of possibilities, from Paterno's viewpoint:
1. McQueary saw something accurately, but he doesn't give Paterno the details.
2. He saw something innocent and misinterpreted what he saw.
3. He's not telling the truth.

At best, Paterno can think, "Sandusky may have done something inappropriate and maybe criminal, but I don't know what exactly." He doesn't know the details.

I frankly don't agree, when it came to the police, and certainly the PSP or child services. They want specifics, not something this vague.

To top it off, Sandusky is not under Paterno's authority. Paterno can't reassign him, or discipline him, or order him not to do something.

We probably will never agree on how much sooner the great and powerful Joe Paterno could have shut Jerry Sandusky down. It was the least Paterno could have done 12 years ago.

It was 9 years prior to the indictment.

I would agree with the characterization "the great and powerful Joe Paterno" if you added within the university. As soon as he left that community, his power dropped.

Now, that said, Paterno could have done more in regard to followup with Curley and Schultz, even if he had to go over their heads to Spanier. From an administrative standpoint, he should have, IMO. I think, had he pressed it with them, he would not have been terminated.

The feds will have their best access to Second Mile & Raykovitz coming in from the PSU side. Because PSU receives a number of federal grants. (Remember, Jer said TSM tries to operate privately.) BUT, TSM "partnered" with PSU on programs where fed monies came in. Therefore, fed oversight and access now.

Just a couple. I haven't looked at all the funding, and don't think as a PSU outsider I could, for this. But here's a clip about a PSU student, written by Raykovitz, and a partnering arrangement:

"...During that same period [that she was a camp volunteer at TSM], she interacted with additional Second Mile programs through her selection as a Penn State Fellow in the America’s Promise Program, since we are a Promise Partner."

I'll give the link below, since this next program--which we all remember--comes from the same source:

"By Erin E. Reid and Melissa A. Reid,
The Pennsylvania State University
Prior to the summer of 2004,
The Second Mile staff formed a
partnership with The Pennsylvania
State University’s Prevention Research
Center to assess the intrapersonal
and environmental factors of children
served in the Summer Challenge
Program. As a result, campers at
the University Park site now are
asked to complete a computer-based
questionnaire, the Assessment of
Liability and Exposure to Substance
Abuse and Antisocial Behavior
(ALEXSA), during their stays at camp.
The information that is collected then
can be used to examine the effects
of camp attendance on specific areas
of concern. To date, three years of
data have been collected. This article
describes the ALEXSA in more detail
and provides information gained
from analyzing the data collected
from children attending the Summer
Challenge Program in 2004 and 2005...."

link:
http://www.thesecondmile.org/pdf/MilestonesFall06.pdf

The governor's office has oversight of all federal grant monies coming into the state. JJ will remember the name of one of the oversight committees--some commission on juvenile justice and prevention (not the old one that PA legislature disbanded; this is current).

Access the PSU Prevention Research Center here:
http://prevention.psu.edu/about/index.html

It is still headed up by Mark Greenberg, member of TSM's board of directors:
http://prevention.psu.edu/people/index.html

PSU's Prevention Research Center is a division of their College of Health and Human Development, where in 2007 Sandusky made the commencement speech. (IIRC, he had also been made an honorary member/alum of it, or some other sort of honor).

There's lots of ways to gather info on JS or other TSMers starting from the federal $$ into PSU. Hope there's the will to do so.

I'm still trying to find any possible link between Sandusky, TSM, and Christian Amos Goodall--the son of H. Amos Goodall, Jr, atty who handled Ray Gricar's estate. Christian committed suicide in Nov, 2010, at age 29. He graduated from PSU in June, 2010.

So far as I've found, Linda Gall (TSM volunteer and Board member--don't have the years on that) and husband Blake set up a memorial grant in remembrance of Christian (at that CCCF, where Blake is a professional advisor). And planted a tree in his remembrance. Linda was quite active is lots of community activities where she might have known Christian from. IDK.

H. Amos Goodall, Jr was also a TSM volunteer. But lots of locals were. One thing that strikes me, as always, is how intertwined these people all are. It's just odd that only Linda Gall went this far. And, she posted on his memorial site online. I didn't recognize any other names posting there who had TSM involvement.

Christian was a summer lifeguard at a local public pool. A "best friend" posted about his demons. My hope is that he wasn't drawn into Jer's web; but it's possible. If he was, maybe his friends know. This'd be a good time to get the whole truth out.

The governor's office has oversight of all federal grant monies coming into the state. JJ will remember the name of one of the oversight committees--some commission on juvenile justice and prevention (not the old one that PA legislature disbanded; this is current).

That is Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The chairmanship is a "gift" of the incumbent governor. That would be Rendell in 2004, and the chairman might have been Jim Eisenhower.

The Commission which I think meets twice yearly, basically hands out money (from the Feds) for programs.

Unless TSM was paying Sandusky in green for expenses, the Feds won't necessarily need to have their records. Provided they have some indication of which bank TSM used, they can get checks written to Jer through subpoena.

Years ago, I was subpoenaed as a witness in a Federal trial for a guy I had business connections with 5 or 6 years prior. Because I had been out of town on a job, they hadn't served me and I didn't know anything about it. I, litterally, got the subpoena one day and was on a plane to be in court the next. When I was on the witness stand, they had copies of checks going back for years they had obtained from my bank.

It could be that these "missing" records are suddenly "found" once the full weight of the investigation is brought to bear on people like Raykovitz. Whatever income Jer drew from TSM will be supported through W-2's and withholdings. Any other checks the Feds find could bite TSM execs AND Sandusky in the rear without proper explanation and documentation.

There's also the likely possibility of credit cards, both business and personal, having been used for Jer's lil junkets. If the Feds really want to dig, they can get all of this type information. If they do, someone better be ready to explain it, record or no records.

Paterno never knew about Toftrees. The only thing he had, in 2002, was a grad student who said he saw something; McQueary's status was not high at the time.

There are a couple of possibilities, from Paterno's viewpoint:
1. McQueary saw something accurately, but he doesn't give Paterno the details.
2. He saw something innocent and misinterpreted what he saw.
3. He's not telling the truth.

At best, Paterno can think, "Sandusky may have done something inappropriate and maybe criminal, but I don't know what exactly." He doesn't know the details.

I frankly don't agree, when it came to the police, and certainly the PSP or child services. They want specifics, not something this vague.

To top it off, Sandusky is not under Paterno's authority. Paterno can't reassign him, or discipline him, or order him not to do something.

It was 9 years prior to the indictment.

I would agree with the characterization "the great and powerful Joe Paterno" if you added within the university. As soon as he left that community, his power dropped.

Now, that said, Paterno could have done more in regard to followup with Curley and Schultz, even if he had to go over their heads to Spanier. From an administrative standpoint, he should have, IMO. I think, had he pressed it with them, he would not have been terminated.

JJ, Paterno was arguably the most powerful man in Pennsylvania over the last 30 years, beloved by Penn Staters, a sports icon, a respected and influential figure in Republican political circles, hated but respected by Pitt fans. He was also tenured at his institution, and so McQueary was a graduate student under his supervision. He wasn't just a football coach; he was a faculty member and so had the ethical and moral obligation to not only follow upon McQueary's report to him, but to make sure he (Paterno) followed up on the report, not only in regard to the child who was raped but also to his grad student and to others working under his supervision. HE should have made sure he KNEW the details. And I say that as someone who has supervised graduate students and junior faculty.

There should have been meetings of the football staff to inform them to be aware of and alert to the presence of children in the facilty and to make very clear that overt sexual activity of any kind was absolutely prohibited.

Wait till the civil suits ramp up--that is one of the first things all of those involved will be asked: What steps did the football program and athletic department take to secure the facility, to post notices and inform all employees, athletes and students that overt sexual activity is prohibited, etc.?
That ka-ching you hear is the sound of big judgments in civil court going to victims who were assaulted in the PS facility.

JJ, Paterno was arguably the most powerful man in Pennsylvania over the last 30 years, beloved by Penn Staters, a sports icon, a respected and influential figure in Republican political circles, hated but respected by Pitt fans.

Who's son couldn't get elected to Congress, despite having that great name.

Yes, Paterno had accomplishments as a coach, and yes as a fundraiser he was important to the University, but beyond that, his power was as a celebrity.

He was also tenured at his institution, and so McQueary was a graduate student under his supervision.

McQueary wasn't in 2002.

He wasn't just a football coach; he was a faculty member and so had the ethical and moral obligation to not only follow upon McQueary's report to him, but to make sure he (Paterno) followed up on the report, not only in regard to the child who was raped but also to his grad student and to others working under his supervision. HE should have made sure he KNEW the details. And I say that as someone who has supervised graduate students and junior faculty.

He had a legal obligation to report it and, I'd argue, an administrative duty to follow up after it was reported. He did the first, but not the second.

There should have been meetings of the football staff to inform them to be aware of and alert to the presence of children in the facilty and to make very clear that overt sexual activity of any kind was absolutely prohibited.

And what if it was completely innocent and, as I've indicated, McQueary misinterpreted what he saw? You mentioned civil suits; do you think that Paterno spread rumors, without evidence, he wouldn't be sued? He was not ever in the position to investigate it.

Even now, the 2002 incident is not the strongest case against Sandusky. It isn't the weakest, but both 2005-07 and 1998, though less serious, are stronger.

Paterno did the right thing in following the law, and reporting it to his supervisor. He failed to do the right thing, administratively, by not following up. I have no disagreement with his removal on the second ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
u3499