Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
2008: Speaking of former BVA gridders, Craig Fayak -- who starred as quarterback and kicker for the Leps in the late 1980s -- left the bachelor ranks when he got married earlier this month.

Penn State's all-time scoring leader for 14 years with 282 points before Kevin Kelly broke the mark in 2007 as a junior, Fayak was wed at State College with the reception held on the fourth level at Beaver Stadium.

Representing Penn State at the affair were former Nittany Lion assistant coaches Jerry Sandusky and Joe Sarra and teammate Kyle Brady, who was a first round draft pick of the New York Jets and played for Jacksonville and New England in a 13-year NFL career.

Read more: Hunter back with Chargers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_598624.html#ixzz1eANuye8a

My point was that he now has sympathy which he probably would not otherwise have at a time when he most could use it. I didn't give him cancer, and I won't cure him. Merely observing. He also has a great health reason not to ever set foot inside a court room as a witness again.

I realize you do not know my professional background. If you did, I'm sure you would have left out the second part of your post. :)
BTW, my father died exactly 2 years ago at this this hour of cancer. He was the best man I and many other people ever knew. So I know that cancer does not just strike people in morally questionable situations.
Cancer and illness are not respective of personalities, goodness, evil, etc.

I simply do not find it shocking that an 84 y. o. man has cancer. What I do find slightly suspect is his son's release of the information at this time. I believe that it was told for sympathy.

Thanks. I understand more clearly now. It was the statement that this is his "out" that bothered me.

Having had cancer at 26, having my Mom beat it at 50 and having my Pop lose his battle at 69 makes me look at this with a bit more empathy. I can't think of one situation where I'd call anyone's cancer an out. IMO, at 84, it's not a battle worth fighting with chemo. If lucky, it may extend a life by a few months but it'll make those months miserable.

Being on the opposite side of the fence than most, I don't see it as a sympathy ploy. He doesn't need anyone's sympathy, he needs the media to back off, which is how I see the statement. The focus should be on the "alleged" perp and the victims, not the moral responsibility of one man, portrayed in the media as a "Figurehead" for 10 years then elevated to"Master of the Universe" 2 weeks ago.

As for not having to step foot in a courtroom again, that's the last thing anyone on my side of the fence wants to hear. We want the full story, we want to know, based on fact, where we're wrong in our support. We want the real monster brought to justice and we want the victims to begin healing, if that's even possible.

My character in my little piece of suburbia has been called into question and I've done nothing wrong. The line is clearly drawn and has created rifts among family members, friends, co-workers, etc. It's not that I can't see it from the opposite side, it's the perceived notion that in supporting one man, I support child abuse.

Sandusky operated football camps not only at the Behrend campus but also at Penn State Capital College in Middletown, Robert Morris University and Muhlenberg College, among others, according to his now offline website.

The camp was aimed at students from fourth grade through high school and offered personal attention and coaching from Sandusky, who retired from Penn State in 1999 after learning that he would not be head coach Joe Paterno's successor.

Sandusky has been aware of the accusations against him for about three years and has maintained his innocence, his lawyer said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...andusky.ran.camps.ap/index.html#ixzz1eAPGf7bN

Treatable measures include removal of most of the mass, thus giving more lung function. Treatable means they can make Joe P. more comfortable for a time though they most likely cannot stop the spread of lung cancer.
Treating means improving the quality of life over what he would have if the lung mass receives NO attention whatsoever.

Treatable does NOT equal curable. Not by any means. If he has carcinoma of the lung, he will die of metastatic cancer within a few months after the tumor is removed. He is way too old for chemotherapy and probably also radiation. He is at the end of a normal lifespan. He is not a candidate for aggressive treatment measures under the guidelines for helping people in the long run through cancer treatment measures.

So, while he can be treated, he is dying, and he will die, most likely before too long at his advanced age. I'm not sure palliative measures are the right term-- more like " conservative treatment due to advanced age".

Thank you for the explanation. I'm thinking this is why he turned the house over to his wife.

You couldn't make this stuff up!!:banghead:
Here are some quotes from JS's book "Touched"

"I had always professed that someday I would reap the benefits of maturity, but my lifestyle just wouldn't let me." That's how Sandusky launches into the life story he published a year after he retired from Penn State in 1999 to work full time for his charity.

"My father probably spoke the most truthful words about me that had ever been spoke," he writes. " 'Jer,' he said, 'you could mess up a free lunch.' ... I thrived on testing the limits of others and I enjoyed taking chances in danger."

"I believe I live a good part of my life in a make-believe world," Sandusky wrote in one of the final chapters. "I enjoyed pretending as a kid, and I love doing the same as an adult with these kids."
:furious:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sandusky_autobiography_t.html

Heh, I hope this autobiography is incorporated into his criminal trial-- I think the jurors might find his own words quite illuminating. Takes a ton of audacity, doesn't it?

Stunning.

In case you haven't seen John Stewarts comments on recent developments - here they are!! IMO He's spot on!!

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/299167/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-penn-state-riots"]Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Penn State Riots@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/s-kLHU2rorFNtHDl9PVEnQ@@AMEPARAM@@s-kLHU2rorFNtHDl9PVEnQ[/ame]

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/300560/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-jerry-sandusky-phone-interview"]Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Jerry Sandusky Phone Interview@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/P6Ni4Cu8UrDNU6PAAPQwxw@@AMEPARAM@@P6Ni4Cu8UrDNU6PAAPQwxw[/ame]

Jerry Sandusky's 'make-believe world'

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/19/us/sandusky-memoir-profile/index.html

Snipped
The walls of Sandusky's home and office were covered with photographs of children he befriended. "They are kids that have touched my life and have been a part of me for a long, long time," he writes. "They are people that I can never leave."

Snipped
The center was known as the Brownson House, taking its name from a benefactor -- a local judge. Jerry Sandusky called it "the Bug House" because of the colorful characters who came by.

He was an only child, but at the Bug House he never lacked for company. One of his constant companions was a mentally challenged boy everyone called Big Ern. "I used to take Ernie to the movies or we'd go swimming together, and I taught him how to play basketball," he recalls in the book.

In his book, Sandusky describes an exchange with a defiant boy in a psychiatric facility -- a child who initially welcomed his visits but grew cold toward him.

"You know, it's not right to treat people like this," Sandusky says he told the boy. "You should talk to me." He adds that the boy "laid into me, screaming from the top of his lungs, 'Get out of here! Get out of here!'"

This is from your CNN link Epiphany.
Very upsetting.

joe-paternogitop.jpg

Last season Joe Paterno's Penn State football program generated revenue totaling $72,700,000.00 with a profit, after expenses, of $53,200,000.00.

How many of those zeros will disappear next season? Will JoePa's statue then be turned to "look the other way"?

This former assistant says that Joe Paterno covered up Sandusky's actions:

Penn State Scandal: Matt Paknis, Former Graduate Assistant, Says Joe Paterno Knows Everything

Asked whether it would be possible for there to be any allegations, investigations or report surrounding Sandusky without Paterno knowing about it, the 49-year-old Paknis stated that would be impossible.

"Impossible, impossible. Joe knows everything, Joe knows everything -- everything that goes on at that campus, everything that goes on clearly in the football program," Paknis said. "It's like the [Bernie] Madoff thing. Not only did he cover it up, but there's no way that this wasn't apparent."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...erno-jerry-sandusky-penn-state_n_1097287.html

Barry Switzer says Sandusky's rape of children was "a secret that was kept secret":

Barry Switzer Says 'Everyone On That Staff Had To Have Known'

Former University of Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer said on Thursday that he believes this scandal goes deeper than just Paterno and athletic director Tim Curley.

"Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,” Switzer said. "Everyone on that staff had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/11/joe-paterno-fired-barry-switzer_n_1087599.html

I found these comments from Kim Jones, a reporter who used to cover Penn State, on the Mike Francesa Show interesting.

...Believed to be about 10 years old, and that was in 2002. Since then, in state college there has been rumor and innuendo that Mike McQueary witnessed something. What you’ve seen, these are subtle things as we connect dots here. The Second Mile golf tournament used to be one of the biggest summer events, I’ve covered many of them, players from the 80s who were legends came back and played. That’s when players started not going to that tournament. I’ve heard now that the golf tournament is a shell of what it was. People started to distance themselves from Jerry Sandusky.

http://ology.com/sports/full-transcript-mike-francesa-interview-kim-jones-about-penn-state-scandal

Here's what Sandusky wrote about the genesis of the golf tournament -- or, as he calls it, a "golf outing" -- in his book:

So many fun times developed every year, and we had one particular occasion in the spring of 1984 when the great comedian Bob Hope, visited the Penn State campus to do a special show for the benefit of the Second Mile. That was a great honor and special thrill for everyone in attendance at Recreation Hall. A man named Tom Nardozzo became chairman of our annual golf outing, and he eventually got the chance to play in Bob Hope’s Desert Classic in Palm Springs.

Tom put together a committee that worked year-round to make the outing a huge success. Willie Mays, Bill Mazeroski and so many other sports figures took part throughout the years. The late Bob Prince, former voice of the Pittsburgh Pirates, brought many of the former players with him, and he often took part in the organization of the outings.

The multitude of athletes that participated was always genuine, and they made the Second Mile golf outing the success it has become. The outing continued to grow over the years, and as we began to move forward, there were more lectures and fund-raising events. I went out and spoke quite often to business groups, not really sure of what I was doing but trying to raise money for the Second Mile. Quite simply, we just plugged away and plugged away.

Pg 188-189

Sandusky was still referring to the golf outing as a "success" in 2000, the year the book was published. I have been unable to locate any roster for a past Second Mile golf outings online. It would be interesting to know if and when ex-Penn State football players started to avoid participation. Such information might give some indication of when the whispers about Sandusky's aberrant behavior began.

In case you haven't seen John Stewarts comments on recent developments - here they are!! IMO He's spot on!!

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Penn State Riots

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Jerry Sandusky Phone Interview

Oh thank you for posting those. I watched them both and then I felt bad because I was laughing. But I was also shaking my head up and down along with Stewart's comments.

"What kind of creepy men's club do you two belong to?" LOL

I found these comments from Kim Jones, a reporter who used to cover Penn State, on the Mike Francesa Show interesting.

Here's what Sandusky wrote about the genesis of the golf tournament -- or, as he calls it, a "golf outing" -- in his book:

Sandusky was still referring to the golf outing as a "success" in 2000, the year the book was published. I have been unable to locate any roster for a past Second Mile golf outings online. It would be interesting to know if and when ex-Penn State football players started to avoid participation. Such information might give some indication of when the whispers about Sandusky's aberrant behavior began.

That's an interesting interview. She's another one who says Paterno knew.

The Joe Paterno we knew in 1998, when he surely knew of a Penn State investigation--he knew of everything. His players would get in a skirmish downtown and he knew about it before that player could pick up the phone and confess to him.

In 98’ and 2002, which seemed to be the seminal events, Joe Paterno was not the Joe Paterno we see now. He was not frail, and he was not sitting in the press box. He was king.

http://ology.com/sports/full-transcript-mike-francesa-interview-kim-jones-about-penn-state-scandal

Locker rooms and athletic showers are a dangerous place. I don't call any of this hazing. It is abusive whether physical or sexual. There are a lot of similarities to this Sandusky thing: coaches looking the other way, the word "horseplay", nude games, sodomy, rape, "boys will be boys" attitude, putting the sport before the victims, not apologizing, being forced into sexual positions.

I can't help but wonder if this is the type thing that made Sandusky into the monster he is and how to stop this if the coaches continue to look away. Obviously these victims spoke up as have many of Sandusky's victims, but how many remain silent.

Is there some boys club rule that this is ok and it must be kept silent?

http://www.kaj18.com/news/great-falls-hs-hazing-results-in-sexual-assault-charges/

http://espn.go.com/otl/hazing/list.html

80 percent of college athletes had been hazed, the vast majority of hazing incidents -- on the high school, college and pro levels -- go unreported.

I believe I have heard on television news reports that the grand jury investigation actually started after someone posted something on a penn state message board referring to McQuery witnessing something horrible in the locker room and it was being covered up. Has anyone else heard this or have a link to a report concerning this? Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy321