Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is 'treatable' a euphemism for 'palliative'? Treatable means it can be treated, whereas palliative means it can't.

:waitasec:

Treatable measures include removal of most of the mass, thus giving more lung function. Treatable means they can make Joe P. more comfortable for a time though they most likely cannot stop the spread of lung cancer.
Treating means improving the quality of life over what he would have if the lung mass receives NO attention whatsoever.

Treatable does NOT equal curable. Not by any means. If he has carcinoma of the lung, he will die of metastatic cancer within a few months after the tumor is removed. He is way too old for chemotherapy and probably also radiation. He is at the end of a normal lifespan. He is not a candidate for aggressive treatment measures under the guidelines for helping people in the long run through cancer treatment measures.

So, while he can be treated, he is dying, and he will die, most likely before too long at his advanced age. I'm not sure palliative measures are the right term-- more like " conservative treatment due to advanced age".

...This is the total information I could find on the 'net about Sandusky's family...

Their wedding announcement is online. I saw it this morning. I'll find the link if you'd like (if you haven't already seen it).

I registered because I thought I might be able to add some insight on this area. I have actually read Sandusky's autobiography "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story." The book is a wealth of information for sleuths. I thought I would post some excerpts that might contribute to the discusssion.

.One aspect of this case I've seen addressed a couple of times and quickly dropped is the family of Jerry Sandusky. What did they know? The facts about his wife and adopted children are few and far between on the web.

The most representive passage in Sandusky's book in terms of his relationship with wife is a story he tells about an incident at a pool during a summer vacation:

"We took trips with the kids a lot, and some of them would be to state parks and swimming areas. I always loved to fool around in the water, often to Dottie’s embarrassment because it usually took a lifeguard or park ranger to tell me to straighten up or get out. Once, I was throwing a volleyball around in the water and the lifeguard's whistle blew. “No volleyballs in the water,” he said as I turned to the sound of the whistle. Next, we were tossing around a lighter beach ball until we heard the whistle again. “No beach balls in the water.”

The young lifeguard sounded a bit more perturbed, so I did what he asked and threw the beach ball out of the water. After a while, the pool was fairly empty except for the kids and me, so in an impromptu sorts of way, I began to pick up one child after another and toss them a few feet into a safe spot of the pool. The kids were laughing, splashing, and having a great time – almost as much fun as I was – until we heard that dreaded whistle again.

“No throwing children in the water,” he said that same drill sergeant tone of his. I was starting to get annoyed now, because the kids were just having fun, and we weren’t jumping around in anyone’s path. I thought of letting him know how I felt, but Dottie politely told me that probably wouldn’t be a good idea. After thinking about it, I realized the lifeguard was just doing his job."

End excerpt.

There are many other stories in the book where Sandusky proudly revels in recounting childish behavior and acts of defiance. He comes across as immature and socially underdeveloped. IMO, he sees his wife more as a parental figure than a spouse. I have my doubts whether Sandusky could have a mature relationship with a women, emotionally or sexually. Again, that is just my opinion from reading his book.

How is 'treatable' a euphemism for 'palliative'? Treatable means it can be treated, whereas palliative means it can't.

:waitasec:
I have witnessed oncologists telling patients with stage 3 cancer that their cancer is treatable. Treatable does not always mean "survivable". Treatable includes receiving treatments that prolong death/keep the patient alive a while longer and also palliative care.

Less than 10 percent of people with primary lung cancer survive five years after diagnosis and you have to factor into any survivability equation that Joe Paterno is 84. (Joe Pa smoked/smokes? like a chimney.)

Treatable was the word choice for Elizabeth Edward's cancer, too.
Elizabeth Edwards Enters Second Cancer Fight - ABC News
abcnews.go.com › Health › HealthMar 22, 2007 – Elizabeth Edwards Enters Second Cancer Fight. ... "It is now incurable in a technical sense, but treatable," ABC News' medical editor Dr. Tim ...
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/story?id=2973414&page=1#.Tsc-TM1fqeY

Pensfan
______
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

Just came here to post that Paterno has his "out". Lung cancer at 84? Grim reaper...

Not bashing you but I think that is a rather cruel statement considering not all the facts are know. I'm sure no one has ever gotten lung cancer earlier or later and only get it when they've done something immoral to deserve it.

I registered because I thought I might be able to add some insight on this area. I have actually read Sandusky's autobiography "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story." The book is a wealth of information for sleuths. I thought I would post some excerpts that might contribute to the discusssion.

The most representive passage in Sandusky's book in terms of his relationship with wife is a story he tells about an incident at a pool during a summer vacation:

"We took trips with the kids a lot, and some of them would be to state parks and swimming areas. I always loved to fool around in the water, often to Dottie’s embarrassment because it usually took a lifeguard or park ranger to tell me to straighten up or get out. Once, I was throwing a volleyball around in the water and the lifeguard's whistle blew. “No volleyballs in the water,” he said as I turned to the sound of the whistle. Next, we were tossing around a lighter beach ball until we heard the whistle again. “No beach balls in the water.”

The young lifeguard sounded a bit more perturbed, so I did what he asked and threw the beach ball out of the water. After a while, the pool was fairly empty except for the kids and me, so in an impromptu sorts of way, I began to pick up one child after another and toss them a few feet into a safe spot of the pool. The kids were laughing, splashing, and having a great time – almost as much fun as I was – until we heard that dreaded whistle again.

“No throwing children in the water,” he said that same drill sergeant tone of his. I was starting to get annoyed now, because the kids were just having fun, and we weren’t jumping around in anyone’s path. I thought of letting him know how I felt, but Dottie politely told me that probably wouldn’t be a good idea. After thinking about it, I realized the lifeguard was just doing his job."

End excerpt.

There are many other stories in the book where Sandusky proudly revels in recounting childish behavior and acts of defiance. He comes across as immature and socially underdeveloped. IMO, he sees his wife more as a parental figure than a spouse. I have my doubts whether Sandusky could have a mature relationship with a women, emotionally or sexually. Again, that is just my opinion from reading his book.

Thanks for sharing that excerpt from his book. If you read it recently, you must have a strong stomach to have been able to finish it.

The description above describes the behavior of the subtype known as fixated pedophile. His sexual orientation is pedophilia. He was never interested in women, only children. Fifty percent of pedophiles are married. It would be interesting to hear from his wife's friends. I wonder if she ever discussed why they did not have children, but adopted. (Maybe they had 'fertility' problems, but maybe the reason was something else.)

Hi BigCat!

:welcome: :wagon:

Great post, the first of what I hope will be many more!

Not bashing you but I think that is a rather cruel statement considering not all the facts are know. I'm sure no one has ever gotten lung cancer earlier or later and only get it when they've done something immoral to deserve it.

My point was that he now has sympathy which he probably would not otherwise have at a time when he most could use it. I didn't give him cancer, and I won't cure him. Merely observing. He also has a great health reason not to ever set foot inside a court room as a witness again.

I realize you do not know my professional background. If you did, I'm sure you would have left out the second part of your post. :)
BTW, my father died exactly 2 years ago at this this hour of cancer. He was the best man I and many other people ever knew. So I know that cancer does not just strike people in morally questionable situations.
Cancer and illness are not respective of personalities, goodness, evil, etc.

I simply do not find it shocking that an 84 y. o. man has cancer. What I do find slightly suspect is his son's release of the information at this time. I believe that it was told for sympathy.

I do not wish illness on anybody, and Joe hasn't been convicted/charged with any crimes, so he is "innocent" I suppose.

With that said, I'd be thinking I was pretty lucky if I were Joe since now he can get sympathy from his devoted followers (i'm sure there are some, somewhere, right?) and have the focus (in his life anyway) taken away from the poor little abused victims and back in his spotlight.

Wow! Just wow.

Yepper, he has followers.

I'm sure some people are looking at only the facts available and didn't convict him of anything yet. The presentment doesn't include everything. I'd post a link to something I read but I believe it's not an approved link and states it's hearsay...

Can't wait til the full truth is known.

Get. Back. On. The. Horse. and wish him well. It's the morally appropriate thing to do.

Yay! Joe has cancer! Serves him right... really? People are better than this.

Penn State, like most huge entities, hires architectural firms to design and built their new buildings and complete renovations. The architectural firms put out a RFP (Requests for Proposal) to companies that can meet all the many legal requirements (see below) required by the state of PA to construct/renovate state property. The architectural firm recommends which company should hired to complete renovations and construct new buildings.

What is being implied on this thread is that the architectural firm is also filled with enablers of pedophile Jerry Sandusky since this firm had to recommend the RFP by Poole Anderson Construction (whose company president is on the board at Second Mile). :crazy:

There is probably a Ben and Jerry's located on this campus and Sandusky has likely eaten here at one time or another. Ben and Jerry may also be enablers of this pedophile, right?:crazy:
http://apps.opp.psu.edu/BiddersList/master_list.cfm
http://apps.opp.psu.edu/BiddersList/master_list.cfm

I don't know about the ice cream dudes, but with Sandusky going down in flames and taking Penn State officials with him, it's going to be interesting to see how many multi million dollar construction projects these Architects STILL feel compelled to recommend be awarded to a construction firm so closely tied to this monster.

PSUComposite.jpg

The loss of what appears to be upwards of $100,000,000.00 worth of revenue over the past 10 years would likely be a reason that Poole Anderson wouldn't exactly be thrilled about Sandusky's actions being revealed. They've already lost a $12,000,000.00 project, which had been started, when the publicly funded TSM project grant was pulled.

IMO, even if Poole Anderson are the world's greatest contractors, their connection with this monster is going to take them out of the PSU revenue stream. That's 100 million reasons they may have turned a blind eye and thereby enabled what Sandusky was doing to these children over the past decade.

Former NFL player shares abuse story

Al Chesley played linebacker for the Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles, for whom he played in Super Bowl XV. Chesley also played at the University of Pittsburgh, where he faced Penn St. and Joe Paterno four times.....

[snip]

Chesley said he has watched both stories unfold and recently watched the Jerry Sandusky interview on NBC. Chesley thinks the former Penn St. coach convicted himself publicly.

"He threw out the fact that that's what jocks do," said Chesley. "I'm here to tell you I played college football at the highest level competed against Penn St. and I've never seen any underage kids in showers at University of Pittsburgh."

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/Former-NFL-player-shares-abuse-story/-/475646/4788706/-/tu2w52/-/

WARNING: We do not sleuth family members, friends or other victims. For now, the only folks open to sleuthing are those named by LE and MSM as having a hand in this horrible, horrible case. There are plenty of names in the news, so there is no reason to start looking at innocent family members and friends - remember they are victims too. Especially if they had no idea what was going on and this can not be easy for them.

Thanks,

Salem

PS - if you have any questions or concerns, send me or one of the other mods a pm.

I'm assuming the new lead Casarez is referring to is the connection between the 1998 case and Victim 6 because nothing else sounds different to me (in comparison to what I've read thus far about Gricar). I know there's a Gricar blogger here so maybe it will stand out for that person.

November 18, 2011

New leads in missing Sandusky case DA (Gricar)

Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar investigated allegations that former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky molested a child in 1998. Gricar chose not to bring charges at the time and now that young man, who is an adult, is listed as "Victim 6" in the current child molestation charges the Pennsylvania Attorney General is pursuing against Sandusky.

More at link:

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/tag/in-sessions-jean-casarez/

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Questions remain in '98 Sandusky case;
No explanation why coach wasn't charged

A top assistant to the prosecutor who reviewed the first known allegations of improper conduct by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky in 1998 said Thursday that a search of the office turned up no records explaining the decision not to bring charges against the coach at that time.

Centre County First Assistant District Attorney Mark Smith said the search was completed last week....

[snip]

Penn State University spokeswoman Bekka Coakley said requests for police records of the 1998 incident have been passed on to university's police department.

Complete article:
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...=100020825&docId=l:1544769173&isRss=true&Em=4

I'm assuming the new lead Casarez is referring to is the connection between the 1998 case and Victim 6 because nothing else sounds different to me (in comparison to what I've read thus far about Gricar). I know there's a Gricar blogger here so maybe it will stand out for that person.

November 18, 2011

New leads in missing Sandusky case DA (Gricar)

Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar investigated allegations that former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky molested a child in 1998. Gricar chose not to bring charges at the time and now that young man, who is an adult, is listed as "Victim 6" in the current child molestation charges the Pennsylvania Attorney General is pursuing against Sandusky.

More at link:

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/tag/in-sessions-jean-casarez/

This is from that link. It's a picture of Gricar's computer when found;

blog-laptop.jpg

http://cnninsession.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/blog-laptop.jpg?w=480&h=320

This is also from the article;

...Although the conspiracy theories are being pushed forward, Rickard tells me, from knowing Gricar himself, and the type of prosecutor he was, there must not have been the evidence to prosecute Sandusky back in 1998. Rickard admits that is speculation on his part, and is in the midst of finding out more information on Gricar’s investigation of Sandusky back in 1998....

I think Gricar honestly didn't think he had enough to go on to prosecute Sandusky. Remember he was going up against the Penn State PR machine and a local legend. He'd need a very convincing case to get a conviction, IMO.

IF the rumor is true about Second Mile pimping out kids then it might have a connection, but I doubt it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/readers/2011/11/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-sex-rape-assault.html

“I have been puzzled by the use of what seems to be unnecessary euphemism in coverage of the Penn State child sexual abuse scandal,” Ramos wrote. “There is a reference to the suspect, former coach Jerry Sandusky, ‘having sex with a boy in the shower.’

“It seems to me that a grown man engaging in sex with a 10-year-old boy -- by its very definition non-consensual -- should be called ‘rape,’ not ‘having sex’ or even ‘being forced to have sex.’

“I see the word ‘rape’ used in other contexts in The Times, so I'm curious as to why it would not be used in coverage of this story, in which it seems entirely appropriate.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/readers/2011/11/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-sex-rape-assault.html

You couldn't make this stuff up!!:banghead:
Here are some quotes from JS's book "Touched"

"I had always professed that someday I would reap the benefits of maturity, but my lifestyle just wouldn't let me." That's how Sandusky launches into the life story he published a year after he retired from Penn State in 1999 to work full time for his charity.

"My father probably spoke the most truthful words about me that had ever been spoke," he writes. " 'Jer,' he said, 'you could mess up a free lunch.' ... I thrived on testing the limits of others and I enjoyed taking chances in danger."

"I believe I live a good part of my life in a make-believe world," Sandusky wrote in one of the final chapters. "I enjoyed pretending as a kid, and I love doing the same as an adult with these kids."
:furious:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sandusky_autobiography_t.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme