Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Sandusky’s Voice and Speech Content Show Signals of Deception Guilt In Costas Interview
http://drlillianglassbodylanguagebl...gnals-of-deception-guilt-in-costas-interview/

She nails it right on. Sandusky is full of lies and deception.

I really appreciate you posting this HMSHood. It was an interesting read. But, I've got to make an acception to one part of the doctor's comments about Sandusky's voice.

Since Sandusky and I are from the same home town, I am quite familiar with raising your voice at the end of a sentence. It does make it sound as if he is unassure and is asking a question. But people from the southwestern part of Penna normally sound that way. It's an accent I worked at losing for years as I moved across the country. Which of course I can easily take back once I visit my home town of Washington, Penna for a period of time.

I know the accent is almost hick sounding. But the raising of the voice at the end of a sentence is quite common for people of that area. You hear it in the voices of those from Pittsburgh too. They call it speaking Pittsburghenese.

Knowing he moved and lived a major part of his life in the Happy Valley area, Sandusky could still retain that accent and that method of speaking; maybe in stressful situations. I know it happens often to me. I can pick out that accent in a crowd and all I have to say is who here is from Pittsburgh and someone will come forward and ask "how did you know?"

I just wanted to point out that the doctor
might just be mixing a simple territory accent in with her list of disclosure that he sounds guilty.

However, I do think he is.

just my O

I don't think McQueary's dad went.

Grand Jury Findings:
"The graduate assistant and his father decided that the graduate assistant had to promptly report what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno. The graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno’s home, where he reported what he had seen." (pg 7)
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...RwmBuW&sig=AHIEtbTBUceIh0JMq3aYW7ai3OF9aAkXgA

That's correct...just rechecked it too....the GJ report does not say his father went with him to tell Paterno...

I'm sorry, FloatingStar, that is an error in the article I posted...it would have been great if there had been a witness to the conversation....

It was too late for me to edit the post for a note to explain.

I hope the rest of the article is OK....

They hired Sandusky from within, and he was a GA as well. There were a few others, according to Wikipedia, Dick Anderson and Fran Ganter.

Thanks J J, but Ive made no reference to being hired from within. But, since you mention Sandusky, he is a perfect comparison to McQueary for the point I am making.

Both played at Penn State:

Sandusky played for Paterno at Penn State, starting at defensive end from 1963 to 1965

McQueary was a record setting former quarterback for Penn State. He led the team for two seasons, 1996 and 1997

Both were graduate assistants:

Sandusky served as a graduate assistant under Paterno at Penn State in 1966

McQueary was a graduate assistant under Paterno from 2000-2002

The similarity between their histories end at this point in their respective carriers. After serving as a graduate assistant:

Sandusky was assistant basketball and track coach at Juniata College in 1967

Sandusky was offensive line coach at Boston University in 1968.

McQueary?.....after witnessing the shower rape incident in 2002?

McQueary spent the 2003 season as an administrative assistant with the football program

Sandusky became the defensive line coach for Penn State in 1969, having been a defensive player for Penn State, and having TWO prior coaching positions on his resume.

McQueary became the receivers coach for Penn State in 2004, having been a quarterback for Penn State, and having ZERO prior coaching positions on his resume.

I haven't even looked into the other aspect of the post you referenced which is the win/loss record of Paterno's team prior to McQueary being named as a coach in comparison to Sandusky. I'm willing to bet there wasn't nearly the pressure on Paterno for results improvement in 1969 that there was in 2004 which makes hiring a non experienced coach with no player's position experience very hard for me to understand.

Unless there was another reason.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky"]Jerry Sandusky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McQueary"]Mike McQueary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

That's correct...just rechecked it too...that is an error in the article I posted...

Yes, I should have checked the Grand Jury presentment (GJP) - didn't think an article would have such a blatant misstatement. I wonder if that reporter had some other source saying they both went to Paterno. More likely it was the general description in the GJP that led the reporter to phrase it that way.

I realize this has probably been hashed over enough already, but reviewing the GJP there ARE a couple of things that seem quite odd (see excerpt below). McQueary allegedly witnessed the locker room rape on a Friday (March 1, 2002). He went to his office and called his father, who told him to LEAVE THE BUILDING AND COME TO HIS FATHER'S HOME. Come on, this is very weird. It sounds almost like the father thought McQuery was in danger or something. Leave the building, quick, we need to talk this over and figure out what to to do. We need to strategize on the best way to proceed. I read somewhere that the father was the type whose life was sort of integrated with Penn State as a religion, maybe with football on the high alter. It seems that the father may have been the key starting point of the cover-up, participated in by so many with the same tinted Penn-State-first lens for viewing everything.

The second weird thing is the testimony that McQueary and father decided they should "promptly" report what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno. WHAT? PROMPTLY report? So after making the momentous decision to "promptly" report the incident, McQueary waits until the NEXT DAY to call Paterno? Wow, that puts everyone hot on the trail of the CHILD RAPIST. Using the word "promptly" makes me think a lawyer or someone similar put words into the speaker's mouth. Unless other evidence emerges my judgment is that McQueary and father were more concerned about McQueary's place within Penn State royalty than they were about a child being raped. Investigators who first interviewed McQueary found him eager to unload his guilty conscience. McQueary's saga may turn out to be good symbolism that represents the whole Penn State bureaucracy. But wait, a bureaucracy is likely never eager to unload it's guilt.

From Grand Jury presentment:

"On March l, 2002, a Penn State graduate assistant (‘“graduate assistant"`) who was then 28 years old, entered the locker room...The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that both Victim 2 and Sandusky saw him. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught.

The graduate assistant went to his office and called his father, reporting to him what he had seen. His father told the graduate assistant to leave the building and come to his home. The graduate assistant and his father decided that the graduate assistant had to promptly report what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno ("Paterno"), head football coach of Penn State. The next morning, a Saturday, the graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno’s home, where he reported what he had seen.

Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant’s report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset."

I really appreciate you posting this HMSHood. It was an interesting read. But, I've got to make an acception to one part of the doctor's comments about Sandusky's voice.

Since Sandusky and I are from the same home town, I am quite familiar with raising your voice at the end of a sentence. It does make it sound as if he is unassure and is asking a question. But people from the southwestern part of Penna normally sound that way. It's an accent I worked at losing for years as I moved across the country. Which of course I can easily take back once I visit my home town of Washington, Penna for a period of time.

I know the accent is almost hick sounding. But the raising of the voice at the end of a sentence is quite common for people of that area. You hear it in the voices of those from Pittsburgh too. They call it speaking Pittsburghenese.

Knowing he moved and lived a major part of his life in the Happy Valley area, Sandusky could still retain that accent and that method of speaking; maybe in stressful situations. I know it happens often to me. I can pick out that accent in a crowd and all I have to say is who here is from Pittsburgh and someone will come forward and ask "how did you know?"

might just be mixing a simple territory accent in with her list of disclosure that he sounds guilty.

just my O

Sorry this is O/T but here is a link to a good (if not a bit exaggerated and hilarious) example of the pittsburgh accent. Pittsburghers always sound defensive to me
http://yappinyinzers.com/home.php
But I think Lillian Glass was spot on in her analysis.

Thanks J J, but Ive made no reference to being hired from within. But, since you mention Sandusky, he is a perfect comparison to McQueary for the point I am making.

Both played at Penn State:

Both were graduate assistants:

The similarity between their histories end at this point in their respective carriers. After serving as a graduate assistant:

McQueary?.....after witnessing the shower rape incident in 2002?

Sandusky became the defensive line coach for Penn State in 1969, having been a defensive player for Penn State, and having TWO prior coaching positions on his resume.

Football is not my strength, but Sandusky might have been was the first assistant coach. Wikipedia does list any before that (which could mean Wikipedia is incomplete as well).

One of those was as a basketball coach.

McQueary became the receivers coach for Penn State in 2004, having been a quarterback for Penn State, and having ZERO prior coaching positions on his resume.

He was playing, in the NFL, so that might have given him broader experience.

From what I can tell from Ganter, he went into the program the fall after graduation. http://www.gopsusports.com/genrel/ganter_fran00.html

I'm not thrilled with the practice, but a lot of groups hire from within. The employer thinks they are a known quality (though Sandusky obviously wasn't).

I haven't even looked into the other aspect of the post you referenced which is the win/loss record of Paterno's team prior to McQueary being named as a coach in comparison to Sandusky. I'm willing to bet there wasn't nearly the pressure on Paterno for results improvement in 1969 that there was in 2004 which makes hiring a non experienced coach with no player's position experience very hard for me to understand.

From what I'm gathering McQueary's position is somewhat inferior to what Sandusky's was. Also Sandusky started out at a "lower" position and was eventually promoted in 1977 to defensive coordinator.

I'm not seeing anything too suspicious in McQueary's naming.

Article: Sandusky accuser, charity settle legal dispute

"Andreozzi and Fritz said that under terms of the settlement, The Second Mile has agreed to obtain court approval before transferring assets or closing and give their client the ability to weigh in before a judge regarding any distribution of assets."

just my O

ITA. There were a lot of Eastern European immigrants who moved to W. Pa to work in the coal mines and steel mills. Raising the pitch at the end of every sentence (like English people do when asking a question) is how Russians/Ukrainians normally speak. If one scans the phone book, he/she can see the many Russian/Ukrainian names ending in a "ov", "ova", "ich", or "ko" (Matko, Simko, and etc...). In Pittsburgh, which is near Washington, Pa, there are 7 Russian Orthodox Churches and 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Churches.

Football is not my strength, but Sandusky might have been was the first assistant coach. Wikipedia does list any before that (which could mean Wikipedia is incomplete as well).

One of those was as a basketball coach.

He was playing, in the NFL, so that might have given him broader experience.

From what I can tell from Ganter, he went into the program the fall after graduation. http://www.gopsusports.com/genrel/ganter_fran00.html

I'm not thrilled with the practice, but a lot of groups hire from within. The employer thinks they are a known quality (though Sandusky obviously wasn't).

From what I'm gathering McQueary's position is somewhat inferior to what Sandusky's was. Also Sandusky started out at a "lower" position and was eventually promoted in 1977 to defensive coordinator.

I'm not seeing anything too suspicious in McQueary's naming.
IIRC, his dad was also was a Penn State football player. McQueary's family lives in that city (State College, Pa). He was a hometown boy and graduated from high school there.

On the subject of Penn State fooball hiring practices: the current interim head coach, Tom Bradley, played defensive back at Penn State from 1977-78, which were the first two years of Sandusky's tenure as defensive coordinator. Bradley became a graduate assistant in '79, at the age of 23, and then an assistant on the defensive staff in '80. He worked under Jerry Sandusky for 19 seasons and then took over Sandusky's job as defensive coordinator in 2000 after Sandusky's retirement in '99.

Bradley is a candidate for the permanent head coaching job and he's actively pursuing the position (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...adley-sells-penn-state-to-recruits/51517254/1). There was does seem to be some sentiment in his favor. However, I'll be surprised if he gets the job. My guess is that the hiring committee would want someone for the position who neither played nor coached under Paterno. Fair or not, recruiting will be challenge for Bradley since parents are going to wonder how he worked closely with a pedophile for 20 plus years and didn't have a clue what was going on, at best.

So, there is precedent for Paterno hiring young graduate assistants who played for him. If there is a difference, Penn State's defense is much better than the offense and has been for many years. The receivers McQueary coached have never played at a high level. If, however, McQueary is a good recruiter, as another poster has suggested, then that could explain his position on the staff. Recruiting is very important in college football. :twocents:

Interesting. I have a call in to my football guy as I have no interest in looking at the stat crap...

For now, I leave you with this... The "house that Joe built", the dominant football mentality, say it however you like that created the cover-up is now going to put their streak or whatever in jeapordy in 2004 to buy some guy's silence? The immoral, narcissitc, self-serving football god I've been reading about the past few weeks would never put anything in front of his record. Why not just pay him off if he didn't deserve the spot?

I'm going to ask you to take a look at this "streak", as you called it, in 2004 for the "house that Joe built". For the previous five years, Joe Paterno's Penn State football teams had losing records in four of those years. The combined win/loss record for those five years was 26 wins with 33 loses. That's about as bad as it gets in big time college football.

The program needed help. Joe needed help just to keep his job. As bad as it may sound, loyalty in sports in general, but college football in particular, often boils down to "what have ya done for me lately"? The facts of "the house that Joe built" in 2004 were the program was losing and he needed help.

NOW........suit up and place yourself in Joe Paterno's shoes. Given a choice, why would you EVER consider hiring someone in the critical role of Receiver's Coach who had never been a coach ANYWHERE? Given a choice, why would you EVER consider hiring someone as a Receiver's Coach who, not only had zero coaching experience but, had NEVER PLAYED THE POSITION OF A RECEIVER?

Is it just me, or does that seem a little bit like a corporate executive hiring someone as pilot of the company plane who had never flown before? I'm not trying to knock McQueary. If there is a good guy in this mess, it may very well be him, but I see nothing that indicates he "deserved the spot".

I apologize, my post was dripping with sarcasm that's lost in print. The overall point is: You can't have it both ways. The figurehead vs. the god has already been discussed. The godliness portrayal does not leave room for an unqualified individual coaching such a key part of your offense. The record of the team prior to 2004 holds no bearing on McQ's coaching ability. The support of his hiring can only come from the team record going forward. The overall record from 2004 through 10/29/11 is 70-26, with the only losiing season being 2004 (4-7) and the worst winning season being 2010 (7-5). I also don't see it being overly odd to have a qb as a receiver's coach. It's offense to offense, it's not like he was QB and coached defense.

As for a crumbling empire hiring a n00b, that'd be how I got my start here. I didn't deserve the position. I had no experience in this field, or any field for that matter. 4 weeks after I started, a takeover was announced. Of the 15 that started with me that regretful day, only 1 besides me wasn't "let go" over the years. So McQ's 4 years as a member of a coaching staff prior to promotion is not out of my realm of possibilities. I live it, I'm with my company as long as he was a member of the coaching staff. My salary has doubled in those 11 years. I quit and they asked me to come back. I've had several more promotions than he did in that time frame and I'm not here as part of a cover-up.

It is offical, they fired Paterno again.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/executive_penn_state_board_mem.html

The Penn State Board of Trustees met this morning and officially ratified the firing of head football coach Joe Paterno and stepping down of university president Graham Spanier in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

The meeting lasted four minutes, and was essentially a formality and part of the process following an emergency meeting.

The votes were unanimous. “Due to extraordinary circumstances, the board needed to act swiftly and decisively Nov. 9. We believe that immediate action was necessary and we stand by those decisions," board president Steve Garban said.

I apologize, my post was dripping with sarcasm that's lost in print. The overall point is: You can't have it both ways. The figurehead vs. the god has already been discussed. The godliness portrayal does not leave room for an unqualified individual coaching such a key part of your offense. The record of the team prior to 2004 holds no bearing on McQ's coaching ability. The support of his hiring can only come from the team record going forward. The overall record from 2004 through 10/29/11 is 70-26, with the only losiing season being 2004 (4-7) and the worst winning season being 2010 (7-5). I also don't see it being overly odd to have a qb as a receiver's coach. It's offense to offense, it's not like he was QB and coached defense.

As for a crumbling empire hiring a n00b, that'd be how I got my start here. I didn't deserve the position. I had no experience in this field, or any field for that matter. 4 weeks after I started, a takeover was announced. Of the 15 that started with me that regretful day, only 1 besides me wasn't "let go" over the years. So McQ's 4 years as a member of a coaching staff prior to promotion is not out of my realm of possibilities. I live it, I'm with my company as long as he was a member of the coaching staff. My salary has doubled in those 11 years. I quit and they asked me to come back. I've had several more promotions than he did in that time frame and I'm not here as part of a cover-up.

Did you report the rape of a little boy to your boss and nothing was done about it?

The article below suggests that former FBI Director Freeh may be overextended which means the investigation into Penn State might take "forever".

“....four days after Freeh was named to head the PSU investigation, he was picked to be the trustee for MF Global's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
This, too, would seem to be a time-consuming task. The Associated Press reports that as trustee, Freeh will assist the company in securing financing to maintain operations as well as oversee reorganization or liquidation of MF Global's assets.
In addition to decisions that led to MF Global's bankruptcy, there are allegations that up to $1.2 billion may be missing from customer accounts.”
http://www.lewistownsentinel.com/pa...41/Is-Freeh-taking-on-too-much-.html?nav=5003

Additionally, his company was retained to review security for the SAT college-admissions test, according to the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, New Jersey, and the New York-based College Board.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-trustee-set-to-be-ex-fbi-director-freeh.html

The article below suggests that former FBI Director Freeh may be overextended which means the investigation into Penn State might take "forever".

“....four days after Freeh was named to head the PSU investigation, he was picked to be the trustee for MF Global's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
This, too, would seem to be a time-consuming task. The Associated Press reports that as trustee, Freeh will assist the company in securing financing to maintain operations as well as oversee reorganization or liquidation of MF Global's assets.
In addition to decisions that led to MF Global's bankruptcy, there are allegations that up to $1.2 billion may be missing from customer accounts.”
http://www.lewistownsentinel.com/pa...41/Is-Freeh-taking-on-too-much-.html?nav=5003
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-trustee-set-to-be-ex-fbi-director-freeh.html

A few days ago I read about another big investigation he is doing. Let me see if I can find it.

Cheating Scandal on SAT test. Freeh was hired.

SAT Officials Vow More Security After Cheating Arrests on Long Island
New York Times
Published: Oct. 25, 2011

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — Stung by the arrest of seven Long Island teenagers accused of cheating on the SAT, the College Board said Tuesday that it was hiring a former F.B.I. director to review its security procedures, and that by the next exams, Nov. 5, it would begin analyzing more test scores for irregularities and increase training for test-center supervisors.

Gaston Caperton, president of the College Board and a former governor of West Virginia, said that in addition to bringing in the former F.B.I. chief, Louis J. Freeh, as a consultant, the College Board was also considering additional safeguards over the next year, including bolstering identification requirements for students taking the SAT and taking digital photographs to ensure they are who they say they are.

http://www.freehsporkinsullivan.com/news/13

An Agent for Change in Online Gaming
National Journal Daily
Published: Oct. 11, 2011

Former FBI Director Louis Freeh
is upping the ante in the fight against illegal Internet gambling. He has joined the advisory board of FairPlayUSA, a new coalition of law-enforcement officials, consumer-protection experts, and other groups concerned about the need to regulate Internet gambling.

Although Freeh has held numerous positions over his extensive career, including FBI director, U.S. attorney, and professor, he actually got his start working to eradicate illegal gambling. Freeh joined the FBI as a young agent in New York City in 1975, where he was assigned to an organized-crime squad in Manhattan that focused primarily on illegal gambling activities. He wondered at the time why the FBI was spending so much time working on that kind of case‹most people they caught were released on bail, and back in another wire room within 24 hours.

http://www.freehsporkinsullivan.com/news/10

...the Go-To Guy for High-Profile Corruption Investigations is Louis J. Freeh
FCPA Blog
Published: Aug. 18, 2011

His name hasn't come up yet in the News Corp case. But these days the go-to guy for high-profile corruption investigations is Louis J. Freeh.

He's a former FBI director, federal prosecutor, and U.S. district court judge. Now he's a private citizen, running Freeh Group International Solutions, LLC, "an independent global risk management firm," and partnering at the law firm Freeh Sporkin & Sullivan, LLP (with two other former federal judges including Stanley Sporkin, the 'father of the FCPA').

FIFA -- soccer's international governing body -- hired Freeh in June to investigate allegations of bribery within the organization.

When Jack Warner, FIFA's vice president from Trinidad and Tobago, found out Freeh was on his way there to interview him, Warner quit. He said he'd rather “die first” than meet with Freeh.

Freeh then went to FIFA's headquarters in Zurich, reportedly "with a team of ex-Federal agents to start the inquiry."

http://www.freehsporkinsullivan.com/news/2

LOL LOL LOL That is funny!

On the subject of Penn State fooball hiring practices: the current interim head coach, Tom Bradley, played defensive back at Penn State from 1977-78, which were the first two years of Sandusky's tenure as defensive coordinator. Bradley became a graduate assistant in '79, at the age of 23, and then an assistant on the defensive staff in '80. He worked under Jerry Sandusky for 19 seasons and then took over Sandusky's job as defensive coordinator in 2000 after Sandusky's retirement in '99.

I have the impression that this was fairly widespread, though there were exceptions, in PSU program.

So, there is precedent for Paterno hiring young graduate assistants who played for him. If there is a difference, Penn State's defense is much better than the offense and has been for many years. The receivers McQueary coached have never played at a high level. If, however, McQueary is a good recruiter, as another poster has suggested, then that could explain his position on the staff. Recruiting is very important in college football. :twocents:

Some of McQueary's picks were listed on his bio: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcqueary_mike00.html

I bluntly have no idea who these people are. :)

...the Go-To Guy for High-Profile Corruption Investigations is Louis J. Freeh
FCPA Blog
Published: Aug. 18, 2011

His name hasn't come up yet in the News Corp case. But these days the go-to guy for high-profile corruption investigations is Louis J. Freeh.

He's a former FBI director, federal prosecutor, and U.S. district court judge. Now he's a private citizen, running Freeh Group International Solutions, LLC, "an independent global risk management firm," and partnering at the law firm Freeh Sporkin & Sullivan, LLP (with two other former federal judges including Stanley Sporkin, the 'father of the FCPA').

FIFA -- soccer's international governing body -- hired Freeh in June to investigate allegations of bribery within the organization.

When Jack Warner, FIFA's vice president from Trinidad and Tobago, found out Freeh was on his way there to interview him, Warner quit. He said he'd rather “die first” than meet with Freeh.

Freeh then went to FIFA's headquarters in Zurich, reportedly "with a team of ex-Federal agents to start the inquiry."

http://www.freehsporkinsullivan.com/news/2

LOL LOL LOL That is funny!
^Wow.

I hope his busy company has hundreds of investigators or they start hiring quickly. Although Second Mile hasn't hired anyone to do an outside investigation, Freeh's employees might find criminal information on it while working around State College and Penn State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine