Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it's a lot of mincing words about what McQueary saw or what people were told he saw. If that doctor testified against McQueary, then I would look into that guy's connection to Second Mile.

He knew that Jerry was in the shower alone with a naked boy - that should be damning enough all by itself, and enough for any medical doctor to contact authorities.

And McQueary knew they were in there because of sexual sounds he was hearing, not between two adults, but an adult and a child. Any doctor worth his salt, whether McQueary's father or Dr. Dranov should have been worried about the child and not their reputations or that of Penn State.

But you know, as we have seen every day in this case, human nature and fear kick in and people forget every oath they ever took, including "first do no harm," that little promise doctors make called the Hippocratic Oath. *sarcasm*

"Playing" with a young naked boy in a shower can't be misconstrued too many ways, but if that Dr. wants to play word games about it he can. I don't think it will change Jerry's fate one iota.

Exactly!!! Totally agree....even if there is some doubt cast upon McQueary's testimony, it won't matter, he only got the ball rolling.

There are now too many actual VICTIMS that will testify for JS to wiggle out of these charges like he has been able to do before, with the help of the ones who covered up.

He forgot about the fact the boys would grow up, living in his dream, and now they are coming back to haunt him!

Thank God! I hate seeing this happen live. No, I don't mean that Sandusky should not be tried or that he's innocent. I just hate seeing what has happened to Centre County and Penn State (and yes, the latter was brought on by itself).

This was a place where I went to school, once called one of the most beautiful places in Pennsylvania. Now it's Central Pennsylvania Gothic. :(

My pain is nowhere near the victims, but my childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood are tainted in my memory by this.

I have read about a lot of the people who went to Penn St. or grew up in the area, even the people from JS's hometown, expressing these same feelings.

That is understandable but you and others are not to blame for what one person did and a few others covered up.

Also, please check back to post #86 that explains what is allowed in court and says a full court transcript will be posted on the county link as soon as possible.

AP IMPACT: PSU culture explained away Sandusky

http://centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9RIRA380@news.ap.org>&ps=1013

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — The warning signs were there for more than a decade, disturbing indicators that Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was breaching boundaries with young boys — or maybe worse.

Yet the university's top administrators kept allowing, even encouraging, Sandusky to invite some of those boys into campus sports buildings — locker rooms, showers, a sauna and a swimming pool — where prosecutors now say he fondled, molested and sexually assaulted some of the most vulnerable in the place known as Happy Valley.

Too many, from the university president to department heads to janitors, knew of troubling behavior by this revered, longtime coach who founded a charity for children with hardscrabble backgrounds. But at this school whose sports programs vow "success with honor," the circle of knowledge was kept very limited and very private.

Year after year, Penn State missed opportunity after opportunity to stop Sandusky. Secrecy ruled, and reaction to complaints of improper sexual behavior was to remain silent, minimize or explain away — all part of a deep-rooted reflex to protect the sacred football program.
--------

Prosecutors say the only thing that stopped Sandusky, who retired a year after a 1998 allegation was not prosecuted, was when he was accused elsewhere, a decade later, of sexually abusing a freshman at a local high school where Sandusky had volunteered to help coach the football team.

Much more at link...11 pages.....

Pen, I agree that the "riot" was blown out of proportion. I also don't want anyone to think that any of my comments are meant to be derrogotory in any manner to Penn State or it's students or alumni in general. If I understand correctly, you seem to be offering the premise that this doctor wouldn't lie because of all he has to lose. I don't know what this doctor did or didn't say to the grand jury, but I do know what the grand jury said in their report.

They didn't even mention this doctor!

Doesn't it stand to reason that a grand jury would place considerable weight in a medical doctor's testimony that drastically impeached a grad student's testimony?

If this doctor testified that he asked McQueary three times if he saw anything sexual, and three times McQueary said no, why did the grand jury give such a glowing endorsement of the veracity of McQueary's testimony?

If this doctor testified to the grand jury that, three times, he asked McQueary and, three times, McQueary said he saw NO RAPE and NOTHING SEXUAL, how and why did they bring criminal charges against Schultz and Curley?

I really feel that the only logical conclusion is that Sara's secret unnamed source is likely wrong again (like the Sue Pa swimming story). :)

That is a strawman, but I'll respond. Shultz, Curley, Spanier will all find other jobs with their education

Maybe - I wouldn't put money on that. Their resumes aren't what they once were.

Pensfan said:
Notice that none of my posts stated that because this colleague of Mike McQueary's dad was a physician that he had higher morals. My argument states that he didn't lie because he had everything to lose (14 years of college and training).

How many collective years did Paterno, Curley, and Spanier have between them? Alot more than fourteen! And they remained silent why? Because they had so much to lose. What's sauce for them is sauce for the doctor.

Go back and watch and this supposedly frightening "riot" which was 30 bad kids who overturned one new truck and pulled down a street sign/light post and approx. 2000 "Sunday drivers" (gawkers) watching the mostly obnoxious shenanigans.

We were talking about why people stay silent or why a doctor would lie for Jerry. I think fear of overreactions such as that might be one reason.

A trio of SportsbyBrooks tweets just now of the "I told you so" variety:
SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
SbB 11/15 Tweet: Source close to current PSU Trustee told me they may have to keep Bradley (as coach) b/c 'he knows where bodies are buried'
5 minutes ago
---
After I Tweeted that, I was mocked & ridiculed, ppl saying PSU would NEVER DREAM of doing that. Whose laughing now? http://bit.ly/upM6oZ
2 minutes ago
---
The current PSU AD is a well-known cog in Paterno's rusted-out crony machine, and he wants to hire Bradley as permanent coach - right now.
1 minute ago
http://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOKS

How a Broward reporter beat journalism’s giants
BY ADAM H. BEASLEY The Miami Herald

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/11/2498104/how-a-broward-reporter-beat-journalisms.html

.........Throughout, Ganim has consistently beaten her more experienced (and better funded) peers in the national media, earning their respect and praise.

• Sports Illustrated soccer writer Grant Wahl wrote on Twitter: “No journalist has done a better job covering the Penn State story.”

• Said Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports: “Tremendous reporting on missed opportunities and conflicting stories at Penn St.”

She's also being recommended for a Pulitzer Prize and those are not given lightly.

Lawyer: No plea talks on eve of Sandusky hearing (AP)
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- On the eve of a key court hearing, Jerry Sandusky's lawyer said that no plea negotiations have been held and that the former Penn State assistant football coach is looking forward to facing his accusers in the child sex-abuse case.

As many as 10 young men could testify in public for the first time at the hearing, which is expected to last at least a full day Tuesday and perhaps spill into a second day.
---
full article at link above

I don't understand why a judge is needed to determine if a case should go to trial after a grand jury heard the victims and decided that the case should go to trial. In sexual assault cases, this is cruel to the victims. Does this same procedure occur in other states? TIA

I don't understand why a judge is needed to determine if a case should go to trial after a grand jury heard the victims and decided that the case should go to trial. In sexual assault cases, this is cruel to the victims. Does this same procedure occur in other states? TIA

Yes, it does.

Here is another thing I would like to know about this Dr. who became part of this story with McQueary and his Dad for some strange reason.

Why didn't he go to the cops when he heard there was a naked 50 year old man in the shower late at night with his hands on a naked little boy?

Can't wait to hear his explanation for that.

I thought it was really really strange when McQueary ran to his Dad instead of calling the police. I think it is really strange too this Dr. got involved in it. What was his purpose or mission for hearing the story?

I thought it was really really strange when McQueary ran to his Dad instead of calling the police. I think it is really strange too this Dr. got involved in it. What was his purpose or mission for hearing the story?
Good point. I can only come up with these possibilities. What do you think?

1. The doc is an extremely close friend and was at McQueary's dad home when Mike arrived to ask for guidance.
2. Mike gave his dad a preview of what he needed to discuss. The dad sensed the enormity of the situation and called a non-family member to corroborate his son's "testimony" just in case it was ever called into question.
3. Sara's secret unnamed source is wrong.

There are many possibility for why McQueary's dad thought his son's "testimony" might need a corroborating witness. Maybe there is some reason people might not believe McQueary's accusation was accurate (besides the fact that Sandusky was viewed a "great guy who supposedly helped lots of children)?

Another possibility is that McQueary and the doctor's testimony matched. McQueary could have admitted telling the doctor only the partial truth and given a reason for it. Perhaps the grand jury found McQueary forthcoming and credible as a witness. The bottom line is that neither the doctor nor the McQueary are charged with perjury. Curley and Schultz have been. There's a missing puzzle piece somewhere. Ganim's source may have been someone on Curley's and Schultz's defense. Of course it would make sense that they would only want information released that's favorable to their clients.

Some thing does not smell right in this story the doctor told. Personally, I could see the doctor telling a lie as he was asked for advice and did not want to put himself too close to knowing the real story in testifying. It is his word against the McQueary father and son and in this huge case, the grand jury has more to deal with than doctor friend's perjury. Can you imagine how the McQueary's feel as they hear the story coming out as to what the doctor said? Given it is the truth, if the reporter has it correct that is. Of course, it will be interesting to see what happens if the doctor has to testify at trial.

Here is another thing I would like to know about this Dr. who became part of this story with McQueary and his Dad for some strange reason.

Why didn't he go to the cops when he heard there was a naked 50 year old man in the shower late at night with his hands on a naked little boy?

Can't wait to hear his explanation for that.

I just think the timing of this story is extremely odd.

I doubt there would be much disagreement that the most damning part of the grand jury report was the testimony of Mike McQueary. Without that testimony, Spainer would likely still be President of Penn State, JoePa would still be head coach, Shultz and Curley would have never been arrested and would still have their jobs. McQueary's testimony of witnessing a child being anally raped was the catalyst for their demise.

After all of the half baked interviews by Sandusky and his lawyer apparently blew up in their faces, SHAZAM!, less than 48 hrs before this monster is due in front of a judge, this doctor deal comes crawling out of the woodwork claiming the State's star witness lied to the grand jury! Talk about trying to create doubt!

Wonder where he's been since November 7th?

I just think the timing of this story is extremely odd.

I doubt there would be much disagreement that the most damning part of the grand jury report was the testimony of Mike McQueary. Without that testimony, Spainer would likely still be President of Penn State, JoePa would still be head coach, Shultz and Curley would have never been arrested and would still have their jobs. McQueary's testimony of witnessing a child being anally raped was the catalyst for their demise.

After all of the half baked interviews by Sandusky and his lawyer apparently blew up in their faces, SHAZAM!, less than 48 hrs before this monster is due in front of a judge, this doctor deal comes crawling out of the woodwork claiming the State's star witness lied to the grand jury! Talk about trying to create doubt!

Wonder where he's been since November 7th?

Paterno backed up McQueary's story in the grand jury. Further, it affects Shultz and Curley more than Sandusky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap