Penn State Sandusky Trial #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prognostication:
Jerry's only got a couple more nights at home.
He won't strangle Dottie, but will fantasize about it.
By this time next year, Dottie's going to look ten years younger and feel like she's come out of thirty years of hibernation. None of the Sandusky kids will be living in Pennsylvania and she'll have moved too, partly to get away from the church members who were so supportive but now seem to think she owes them, and the pastor who says anybody will be forgiven if they genuinely repent.
She might be allowed to see the grandchildren who weren't allowed to visit, but may not bother, because I've never seen any spin that said she was pining for them.
Her lawyer, not named Amendola, will have done a masterly job of sheltering her assets.
Her tiny new condo, in California? won't have a basement.

It's only going to get better from here.

Prognostication:
Jerry's only got a couple more nights at home.
He won't strangle Dottie, but will fantasize about it.
By this time next year, Dottie's going to look ten years younger and feel like she's come out of thirty years of hibernation. None of the Sandusky kids will be living in Pennsylvania and she'll have moved too, partly to get away from the church members who were so supportive but now seem to think she owes them, and the pastor who says anybody will be forgiven if they genuinely repent.
She might be allowed to see the grandchildren who weren't allowed to visit, but may not bother, because I've never seen any spin that said she was pining for them.
Her lawyer, not named Amendola, will have done a masterly job of sheltering her assets.
Her tiny new condo, in California? won't have a basement.

It's only going to get better from here.

Perhaps that was the reason for the high five LOL Excellent post.

Indeed, the football schedules were noticiably absent from the defense. They would have shown, proof positive that the "alleged" victims lied. The defense would have had them out, front and center if they would have been helpful! What does that say?

They might have entered them into evidence.

I'm sure that the defense would have preferred that the "alleged" victims had kept detailed calendars of all the visits with asterisks next to the days they were molested. Too bad being molested isn't calendar-worthy, but something these youngster tried to put in the back of their minds.

There is case law on that that the prosecution cited. A few of those things they have down to a one-two hour window.

The implication is that living with her is like being in the military, and since Jerry sees himself as just a big kid, to him she was the authoritarian parental figure. She said on the stand that she was strict and liked things to be done a certain way.

It's hard to understand how someone like that would be so clueless about what was going on, but I think she just looked the other way to protect her way of life. If there are any civil suits, I think she is culpable too.

BBM

Exactly, Mrs. Enabler <modsnip>. :maddening: All those poor innocent children.

I am relieved.

The defense really didnt refute anything. The defense theories are inconsistent.

I feel very strongly that justice is going to be done in this case.

But deep in my heart I know there are other victims out there that just did not have the courage to come forward. I hope all the lives that Sandusky detroyed will find some kind of peace now knowing this sickening pedophile will be locked away for the rest of his life.

It is so hard for boys to come forward. The shame is much worse for them than it is for females and females have more of a support group than boys who are sexually abused. A lot of time even their closest male friends dont understand or want to hear it. I do see that changing somewhat but we have a long way to go to make sure boys know it is ok to tell and they will not be blamed nor ridiculed. And that should happen whether their pedophile predator is a male or female.

God bless all of the victims touched by Sandusky. May they all get the justice they richly deserve.

imo

bbm

First, O-B-eyes, let me say it's nice to be on a forum with you again!!!! -:seeya:- we were on the ~~ was it Conrad Murray?~~ trial together! Or something last year... Anyway, HiYa and Good to see you!
icon12.gif

Now.

I particularly liked your remarks that I bolded in your post above. It IS harder for boys/young men to talk about molestation (using a nice word for it). Is it because they're taught to be tuff and take it about things in general and this kind of thing somehow falls into that category? Certainly our collective sensitivity has been hearing more and more about the molestation of girls for a while now, and there may be more of it going on than male molestation, but how do we really know?

NAMBLA <shudder> has been around since 1978, according to WIKI - that's a long time. And to have a name for it and to have the "positive" agenda that it proclaims is just sick, sick, sick. (I'm not implying in any way that JS has anything to do with this group. ) I just wanted to point out that the very thing this trial is about has a national organization. Think about that, folks... (I am thankful for & use daily my right of free speech, but .
:maddening:..)

Maybe this trial & the things this <modsnip> has been accused of doing will help boys and us in general be more willing to deal with this awful subject. A win for the State of PA and the People will help to show parents, victims and perpetrators that this kind of thing is wrong and illegal and needs to be reported, investigated and prosecuted if the evidence is there.

Anyway, I feel a rant coming on, so i will stop... but thanks for your post, and it's good to see you on this forum!
icon7.gif

I think I was a bit slow
:what: in thinking I was not already on a rant. :eek:

A repeat but Gamin's article linked above said she believed the closed meeting was about JS waiving his right to testify. I think he really WANTED to testify and Amendola got this meeting to get the judge to emphasize to him how this would open him to a wide open cross examination plus the indicting quotes from the Costas interview. He probably was persuaded against his will. I believe that's why he looked upset when they came back into court.

I'm looking forward to the closings tomorrow because I think McGettigan will put on a good one that will tie it all together and answer most of the (lame) questions and points brought up by the defense. I hope one of the newspapers will be able to publish a complete text of it.
---------

News 8 reporter Matt Barcaro said Jerry Sandusky looked upset in court. Barcaro said he really had not looked that way until today.
by WGAL6/20/2012 4:03:27 PM 12:03 PM

Before the defense rested, the defense attorneys, Sandusky and the judge held a closed door meeting. After coming out of it, the judge told the defense, you can continue your case. Defense attorney Joe Amendola stood up and said -- the defense rests.
by WGAL6/20/2012 4:02:48 PM 12:02 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yNQ50DAY

A repeat but Gamin's article linked above said she believed the closed meeting was about JS waiving his right to testify. I think he really WANTED to testify and Amendola got this meeting to get the judge and prosecutors to emphasize to him how this would open him to a wide open cross examination plus the indicting quotes from the Costas interview. He probably was persuaded against his will. I believe that's why he look upset when they came back into court.

I'm looking forward to the closings tomorrow because I think McGettigan will put on a good one that will tie it all together and answer most of the (lame) questions and points brought up by the defense. I hope one of the newspapers will be able to publish a complete text of it.
---------

News 8 reporter Matt Barcaro said Jerry Sandusky looked upset in court. Barcaro said he really had not looked that way until today.

Before the defense rested, the defense attorneys, Sandusky and the judge held a closed door meeting. After coming out of it, the judge told the defense, you can continue your case. Defense attorney Joe Amendola stood up and said -- the defense rests.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yNQ50DAY

Not a surprise. I am certain Jerry wanted to tell the world. We have seen that at least twice now!!

A repeat but Gamin's article linked above said she believed the closed meeting was about JS waiving his right to testify. I think he really WANTED to testify and Amendola got this meeting to get the judge and prosecutors to emphasize to him how this would open him to a wide open cross examination plus the indicting quotes from the Costas interview. He probably was persuaded against his will. I believe that's why he look upset when they came back into court.

---------

I think we can look forward to a closing from Mr. McGettigan that will bring a close to the freedom of a pedophile.

I hope he will be the prosecutor for the rest of this crowd.

I'm rewatching IS and Beth K said that <modsnip>(the last witness) looked down and turned bright red when asked if anything untoward had happened between him and Sandusky... that is a telltale sign of deception.

Jerry Sandusky does not testify in molestation trial; defense rests, closing arguments next

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...-defense-rests-child-molestation.html#more-id

BELLEFONTE, Pa. – Connie Bowland arrived on the steps of the Centre County Courthouse at 3:20 a.m. Wednesday with her daughter, sister and niece. The guidance counselor at an area elementary school was here for one reason.

"I want to look him in the eye, I want to see him, face him," Bowland said.

"Him" is Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator and founder of the Second Mile charity that was designed to help at-risk youth. Over the last 13 years, Bowland sent numerous kids to Second Mile.

She thought then they were going to camps and programs. Now she believes it was right into the line of a predator.

"I feel total betrayal," Bowland said. "I sent him these kids that were at risk, underprivileged, to give them an opportunity they wouldn't have." ..........

"I want to hear from him," she said.

She wouldn't get the chance.
-------

The defense had little to work with in this case.

Sandusky's admitted behavior is troubling to most. They can't argue he never showered with boys. Instead they have to say that, yes he hugged and wrestled with them naked in empty shower rooms, but that it didn't, as all these kids insisted, go any further.

Trust Jerry, they'll say, even if you didn't hear from him directly.

"That's not enough for me," Connie Bowland said. "I'm angry."

The only good news for the defense is she isn't one of the jurors.

Thanks to all who kept us up-to-date today!

Please remember that name-calling, or wishing a variety of explicit ills to befall someone, are against TOS here at WS.

- Not even if you believe that it's 100% apparent to anyone with eyes that this person is a <modsnip>.
- Nope, not even creatively-spelled name-ca!!ing.
- Doesn't matter how irate the person makes you.
- Yes, this applies to perps too.

:tyou: for self-editing, and for being here, and carry on!

Sara Ganim &#8207;@sganim
What happened today with my #Sandusky subpoena and why I sent that text:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_trial_subpoenae.html
from the link:
BELLEFONTE -- Despite what jurors were told Wednesday, Sara Ganim would have refused to answer questions on the stand in the Jerry Sandusky trial.

The Patriot-News reporter, through the newspaper&#8217;s attorney, told the presiding judge that she was willing to go to jail Wednesday to protect her sources in the ongoing child sex abuse case, and would not testify at the trial to answer a question about a text message sent to the mother of one alleged victim.
---
much more at pennlive.com link above

I think we can look forward to a closing from Mr. McGettigan that will bring a close to the freedom of a pedophile.

I hope he will be the prosecutor for the rest of this crowd.

How I hope so too! For some reason I already feel like we're in a verdict watch.....

How I hope so too! For some reason I already feel like we're in a verdict watch.....

We basically are. There are summations, but we have pretty much discussed the case to the point where we could write it for both sides.

Maybe 14 years. It is hugely unlikely that these will be concurrent.

J.J. -- How does sentencing work in PA? I'm from North Carolina, and unless the penalty for a crime -- when guilty -- is set by statute (the only one of which I am aware is for 1st Degree Murder, and the penalty is for Life Without Parole (and that means no parole, period) or death. There is a penalty phase which the jury decides that, etc., etc.

For other crimes, certainly such as this, the judge sets the sentence, according to State of NC Sentencing Guidelines in the NC Gen. Statutes having to do with prior felony points and whether the judge sees the crime as mitigated, presumptive or aggravated. And the judge sets whether the sentences will be concurrent or consecutive. I find that state laws vary, or course, but not to a great extent.

With that rambling preamble :what:-- if JS is found guilty of however many or what crimes, how will the sentence be pronounced as to years & consecutive or concurrent? TIA, much.

Definitely - I took it to mean that she had pulled the wool over the eyes of the Jurors and gotten in all her "talking points" that the Defense had told her to use. High five.

But it probably made the Jury wonder whether to believe her or not. Most adults in a scary situation and in a court of law do not high five. It seems juvenile and really sort of stupid.

Love your thoughts on this High Five ThoughtFox. Besides juvenile and stupid, it appears low class and out of place inside a courtroom. And most definitely seen on every football field in the country. IMO.

If I can add, I do believe Dottie was forced to lie in her testimony not just to save her husband, but also to protect herself from being charged for knowing his behavior and doing nothing about it. How sad is that.

jmo

Sports Illustrated's sports law guy Michael McCann has a good summary of stuff up till now:

Jerry Sandusky trial: What we've learned, what we can expect next

In it, he deals with these five issues and questions:
1. The prosecution presented a compelling and focused case
2. The defense was unexpectedly passive
3. Procedurally, how will the jury deliberations work?
4. If Sandusky is convicted, will he be jailed while he awaits his prison sentence?
5. If Sandusky is convicted, could he appeal?

J.J. -- How does sentencing work in PA? I'm from North Carolina, and unless the penalty for a crime -- when guilty -- is set by statute (the only one of which I am aware is for 1st Degree Murder, and the penalty is for Life Without Parole (and that means no parole, period) or death. There is a penalty phase which the jury decides that, etc., etc.

There is statutory maximum, i.e. a first degree felony is a maximum of 20 years, but that can be modified downward. There are sentencing guidelines someplace, but I never really looked at them.

I have heard of some murderers getting a suspended sentence in the 1990's (long term care-giver murdering a disabled spouse, I think). A pedo priest turned states evidence in January. He raped a child. He got 4-5 but will be out in 2, with good behavior.

With that rambling preamble :what:-- if JS is found guilty of however many or what crimes, how will the sentence be pronounced as to years & consecutive or concurrent? TIA, much.

Ask the judge. :)

Everything consecutively will be 560+ years, but that won't happen. My guess is 20, and out by his 80th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46