Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The language of that newspaper is Papiamentu.

Papiamento (or Papiamentu) is the official and most widely spoken language on the Caribbean islands of Aruba

According to Wikipedia there are many languages in Aruba but the official is Dutch. Since Aruba is right off the coast of South America, Spanish is also spoken. Schools are required to learn English, French to a lesser extent and Portuguese are also present. OK, here comes the hard part..Papiamento is the most widely spoken since when it was embraced in the 1990's. Papiamento is an old Afro-Portuguese Creole. So, in many ways..this language can be like a melting pot of languages hard to understand by maby. The one article regarding the "Fiesta" that had to do with Jorans mother and communications being down ( I think) was all about the World Cup Soccer ( Copa Mundial de la Fifa 2010) matches where the Netherlands will be playing on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchvixen
It's interesting that people are feeling empathy for Joran but mostly everyone wanted to crucify Casey.

I don't have empathy for Joran or Casey. I think it's the living conditions that bother me in the Joran case. Casey is sitting easy eating her candy bars while waiting for trial, while in Peru the dogs are treated better. Personally, it's a side of foreign prisons that I'm just learning about (which, yes, may be perceived as empathy).

IMHO, I think the death penalty would be better than living at Castro Castro - but that's just me.

MOO

Mel

On Geraldo now....

Stephany's family lawyer talking about Joran pretending to leave the room with the two empty coffee cups. Saying his intention would be for the hotel worker to find her body. Shows a cold man.

Geraldo's producer Guillermo on now saying Joran fired his lawyer. This was told to him today after lunch. Busy day in the jail, people wondering if anyone was coming to visit Joran. Joran fears for his life inside the prison; refuses to eat the food. Guillermo saying his fear is justified. People have no sympathy for him.

[bbm]

I wonder if that's why he refused the regular meal & wanted to eat what the guards were having ... I bet he thought his regular meal was poisoned somehow

Does anyone feel that the Kalpoe brothers are just as guilty as Joran? Also, if JVDS was never involved in NH's disappearance would he be as notorious in Stephany's murder as he is now?

I definately feel they know something important, the scoundrals.
They have been called a lot of names. I think, had Aruban authorities been able to pin Natalie's disappearance on them abd bypass Joran
that would have been done in a heartbeat. These guys could easily
be sacrificial lambs .... are they being protected for what they know?

Interesting, JWarner. I was able to read that newspaper article, while I was "in/on" the Google translator page.

Well, at least you can read it.
This is a great link. Thanks for posting it again. I would have missed it.
Now I completely understand, the various taxi cab rides, and why three taxi drivers were charged with known a crime was committed. Holy crap!

Holy crap is right. A lot of hard info. These things everyone is stirring
up here is worth 100 hours watching tv+advertising.

I think he closed it right around the time his Father died..Maybe daddy Paulus was financing his restaurant? IMO

In his confession he said his restaurant has been open for 2.5 years.

4. What do you do for work, where, since when and how much you earn it?

- I have one thing in Thailand. Selling pizza, sandwiches and coffee, which I earn 20,000 euros annually. I do this already 2.5 years.

What's that 24K a year?

Mel

I think the notion that Joran was "coddled" or treated as a "favorite pet," to quote Nancy Grace (about whom I won't comment so as not to violate forum rules), is yet another myth. Joran was jailed for months, and interrogated around the clock. No, it was not similar to Peru's almost certainly much tougher (to put it kindly) standards, but it is no picnic to be incarcerated anywhere for that length of time, especially at just 17 years of age.

Along with the inaccuracies about Paulus- who was not a judge (only one in training), and had no real influence with the powers that be in Aruba (if he had, Joran would not have remained in jail so long, and Paulus would have been able to visit him regularly), these myths are fueled by years of emotional and unprofessional "reporting" by American journalists. Needless to say, they contributed greatly to the public's very negative perception of Joran, even before the tragic story in Peru.

Other than Bryan Burrough's piece in "Vanity Fair," and the work of a few radio talk show hosts, all American journalists reported on the Holloway case with a distinct bias. The bias is even more obvious in this case.

- I have one thing in Thailand. Selling pizza, sandwiches and coffee, which I earn 20,000 euros annually. I do this already 2.5 years.

What's that 24K a year?

Mel

I think that was another mis-truth he told in the confession. Sort of like the money one.

I read (somewhere) that he didn't have the coffee shop for very long. The previous owners bought it back from him and the books were a mess. Go figger...

What's that 24K a year?

Mel

From ABC report (sorry no link kept):
"In the sleepy Bangkok suburb of Muang Ake, he attended Rangsit University in 2008 as a business major but dropped out and bought the Sawadee Cup cafe just off the campus, which served sandwiches and pizza. This folded quickly and was sold. The buyer commented Joran was certainly no businessman. He essentially had no working ledger or accounts. He sold the
business at a loss."

I think that was another mis-truth he told in the confession. Sort of like the money one.

I read (somewhere) that he didn't have the coffee shop for very long. The previous owners bought it back from him and the books were a mess. Go figger...

:doh:

When am I going to stop being so darn naive. I can only imagine that 1/2 of his confession -- if not more -- is a lie.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality!

Mel

From ABC report (sorry no link kept):
"In the sleepy Bangkok suburb of Muang Ake, he attended Rangsit University in 2008 as a business major but dropped out and bought the Sawadee Cup cafe just off the campus, which served sandwiches and pizza. This folded quickly and was sold. The buyer commented Joran was certainly no businessman. He essentially had no working ledger or accounts. He sold the
business at a loss."

Oh dear Lord, thank you. I don't think I'll be linking any quotes from his so called confession anymore.

Mel

See Unreals that's the catch about message boards. we can be biased if we want too. We can hold our own court and judge guilty or not.
We as a team do more research than any crimetainment show and as someone put it, dig deep. That's the advantage of like- mined people.
To make it all legit, MY OPINION ONLY (moo)

PS: I do love your posts, keeps us on our toes, and your far from a push-over.

I think the notion that Joran was "coddled" or treated as a "favorite pet," to quote Nancy Grace (about whom I won't comment so as not to violate forum rules), is yet another myth. Joran was jailed for months, and interrogated around the clock. No, it was not similar to Peru's almost certainly much tougher (to put it kindly) standards, but it is no picnic to be incarcerated anywhere for that length of time, especially at just 17 years of age.

Along with the inaccuracies about Paulus- who was not a judge (only one in training), and had no real influence with the powers that be in Aruba (if he had, Joran would not have remained in jail so long, and Paulus would have been able to visit him regularly), these myths are fueled by years of emotional and unprofessional "reporting" by American journalists. Needless to say, they contributed greatly to the public's very negative perception of Joran, even before the tragic story in Peru.

I think you may be correct about this in fact it may have been severe pressures on him to perform at an early age, without adequate emeotional support (as the oldest in a struggling family) that lead to his rebellion and counter-culture lifestyle. He has a huge inferiority complex coupled with
gross compensation ideation - which few people could live up to. It all
starts in the early years for all of us. Proving this is another matter -
that is why records in Aruba are so important if they ever see the light
of day. (Ironically the Peruvian system acknowledges such situations
and can give time allowance for them. The longer he keeps lying and
building a false vita, the worse it is for him. Cant he see that he needs
to come clean if there is any hope of redemption?)

Other than Bryan Burrough's piece in "Vanity Fair," and the work of a few radio talk show hosts, all American journalists reported on the Holloway case with a distinct bias. The bias is even more obvious in this case.

BBM:

I have no idea what a replacing member of the joint court of justice is, but when asked by Holland Television Show, NOVA, he says he's a "replacement judge".

Paul van der Sloot: I am a replacing member of the joint court of justice of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba [1] and I am appointed for a period of three years, from January the first, 2003, until January the first, 2006.

Reporter (Twan Huys): So, you are replacement judge?

Paul van der Sloot: Yes.

linky:

http://scrux.com/natalee/paulusinterview.htm

Best,

Mel

It's late, and I need a laugh. When I read your statement about mis-truth the first thing that popped in my mind was Cindy Anthony and how thats what she said about Casey's statements. LOL

Hope I don't get a Time Out ;)

Mel

Oh dear Lord, thank you. I don't think I'll be linking any quotes from his so called confession anymore.

Mel

I hate to say this but Im 50% serious. We are all caught up in his lies -
the whole world is similarly caught up. In the end he is lying only to himself! He has ceased to fool anyone. IS HE EVEN CAPABLE OF NOT
LYING? If he isnt then we are dealing with a .... emotional vegatable.

BBM:

I have no idea what a replacing member of the joint court of justice is, but when asked by Holland Television Show, NOVA, he says he's a "replacement judge".

Paul van der Sloot: I am a replacing member of the joint court of justice of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba [1] and I am appointed for a period of three years, from January the first, 2003, until January the first, 2006.

Reporter (Twan Huys): So, you are replacement judge?

Paul van der Sloot: Yes.

linky:

http://scrux.com/natalee/paulusinterview.htm

Best,

Mel

Thanks for that. I suspect that "replacement judge" is another way of saying "judge in training," but there obviously could be a difference.

Thanks for that. I suspect that "replacement judge" is another way of saying "judge in training," but there obviously could be a difference.

Hello Unreals. What's your take on that "coffee cup" video showing Joran's weirdly suspicious behavior?

Also, are you planning to rewrite your book?

Hello Unreals. What's your take on that "coffee cup" video showing Joran's weirdly suspicious behavior?

Also, are you planning to rewrite your book?

Frankly, I don't know what Joran was doing in most of that video. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, but as you might expect, I don't really find it to be indicative of guilt or incriminating. On the contrary, as I've noted, I feel that getting the hotel employee to open the door was an almost unbelievably risky thing to do, if a dead body lay just behind it. Unless, of course, the intent was to get the employee to see the body, as some have suggested. However, since Joran didn't do anything to direct his attention there, the whole thing seems ridiculous. Unless, of course, he really did lock himself out of the room.

Every time I mention the book, it seems to cause trouble, so I won't say much about that. Needless to say, things have to turn out a certain way in Peru for there to be a viable book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahearn