GUILTY Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just turned TV on to see VDS! What the hell is going on?

Can't believe my eyes. He's yawning and being bored in court? Checking a watch he isn't wearing?

Can't believe my eyes. He's yawning and being bored in court? Checking a watch he isn't wearing?

Hey epiphany!! :seeya: NTNS, my friend!

Yup, he's a piece of work, isn't he? I think he's high as a kite, personally.

His days are numbered, though. tick, tock...

<modsnip>:

This is where the problem starts:

article dated Sept. 4, 2011 : http://elcomercio.pe/lima/1269703/n...acusacion-fiscal-debil-favorece-van-der-sloot

According to the Flores family lawyer, the demand formulated by the prosecutor is 'weak' and 'favours JvDS'.
He says it doesn't explain the 'motive'. It also makes no reference to the results of the forensic analysis on J's laptop, which in turn destroyed the hypothesis of "reactive violence".

Instead the demand should have been for aggravated robbery....we all know that already, and this articles explains WHY it is that JvDS is now facing only simple murder.

It does not explain why the prosecutor decided for simple murder though.

following paragraph explains about the "sincere confession" (easy to understand)
Según el abogado, la acusación fiscal tiene aspectos a favor del holandés. Uno de ellos es que se menciona que el jugador profesional de póker no tiene antecedentes penales ni en el Perú ni en el extranjero. &#8220;Yo pienso que fue por esta razón que no pidió la pena máxima de 35 años, que es lo que está señalado en el Código Penal para homicidio calificado y si él se acoge a la confesión sincera puede recibir solo 25 años de cárcel. Además, si accede a beneficios penitenciarios, que esperemos no se los den, solo pasaría la tercera parte de esta condena en la cárcel&#8221;, dijo.
He also says that the Ministry of Public Affairs didn't take any reference to the NH case because her body hasn't been found.

Hey epiphany!! :seeya: NTNS, my friend!

Yup, he's a piece of work, isn't he? I think he's high as a kite, personally.

His days are numbered, though. tick, tock...

Missed you all...Just said the very same thing (BBM) to those watching him with me.

i believe i read after he's served his time in peru then he'd go to the US for the extortion charges/wire fraud trial/sentence if the extradition request was successful...

??

From what I understood, once his sentence is decided in Peru, then the US want him extradited to stand trial for the extortion. Once that trial is completed and if found guilty and his sentence is determined he will be returned to Peru to serve out his sentence there and then once that is completed he will be sent back to the US to serve whatever sentence he receives there. It appears as though the US do not want to wait up to 30 years to even start the extortion trial. :waitasec:

MOO

They way I understand it is that the 'sincere confession' needs to match the facts and evidence of the case. If they don't, the judges can (and probably will) reject his 'sincere confession' and then it will go to trial where he will get a much stiffer sentence.

A simple murder (crime of passion) does not match the facts and evidence in this case. The blood spatter everywhere shows the brutality. The fact that he used his shirt to strangle her and finish her off after he elbowed her (in the heat of passion?). The emails to friends desperately begging for money just prior to him luring her to his room. The fact that he did, indeed, rob her.

He just trying to decide whether he should gamble on if he can snow these judges. And we all know how he likes to gamble...

MOO

That's the way I understood it too suzihawk. If he had pled guilty to the charges today and the events as laid out by the prosecutor, the maximum he would face is thirty years. But because he pled guilty with a sincere confession, they may take that into consideration during sentencing and go with a lower penalty.

But he decided he didn't want to give a sincere confession to the events as they were described in court today so he needs some time to weigh his other options. The only other option I see is him deciding to go to trial because he disagrees with the events as they were laid out by the prosecutor.

MOO

From what I understood, once his sentence is decided in Peru, then the US want him extradited to stand trial for the extortion.

maybe things have changed since i read articles like these below that state the exact opposite lol

Now that there is a Van der Sloot extortion indictment in Alabama Joran Van der Sloot will have to face a trial there. That is assuming he ever gets out of prison in Peru.

http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=1891

Famed criminal defense lawyer Roy Black told ABC's "Good Morning America" that, "The murder case in Peru takes precedence over" the extortion charges, and that the chances of van der Sloot getting extradited to Alabama "are zero."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Internati...rtion-plot-natalee-holloway/story?id=10824621

maybe things have changed since i read articles like these below that state the exact opposite lol

Now that there is a Van der Sloot extortion indictment in Alabama Joran Van der Sloot will have to face a trial there. That is assuming he ever gets out of prison in Peru.

http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=1891

Famed criminal defense lawyer Roy Black told ABC's "Good Morning America" that, "The murder case in Peru takes precedence over" the extortion charges, and that the chances of van der Sloot getting extradited to Alabama "are zero."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Internati...rtion-plot-natalee-holloway/story?id=10824621

This was one of the latest ones I read so who knows...

The US authorities are reportedly currently involved in negotiations with the Peruvian government to have Van der Sloot extradited to the US for trial immediately after his trial in Peru ends. He would then be returned to Peru to serve his sentence there before being definitively extradited to the US to serve what is expected to be another long term of imprisonment

http://tswi.org/africa/bulletin/van-der-sloot-trial-starts-friday

From what I understood, once his sentence is decided in Peru, then the US want him extradited to stand trial for the extortion. Once that trial is completed and if found guilty and his sentence is determined he will be returned to Peru to serve out his sentence there and then once that is completed he will be sent back to the US to serve whatever sentence he receives there. It appears as though the US do not want to wait up to 30 years to even start the extortion trial. :waitasec:

MOO
That's exactly my understanding Kamille, and IDK, but it kind of doesn't make much sense to me JMHO. Surely extortion charges cannot take prevalence over a murder sentence, so :waitasec: what would determining his sentence for extortion years in advance achieve?
MOO

i guess time will tell re: a trip to alabama...

for anyone who wants to watch the hearing, here it is (courtesy of insession and the wonderful person who uploaded it):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1mtzGjbiF8"]Joran Van Der Sloot trial 1-6-12 - YouTube[/ame]

uh... uhhhhhhhhhh... uh... uhhhhh... uhhhh... uh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh

that translator is horrible! i hope he's replaced next week.

I have to agree with Jinkasaurus on this one ... Joran looked like he was seriously sleep deprived in court and even though he removed his bullet proof vest and jacket, he still looked very old or worn out for a 24 year old. For all the criticism on CNN about his disrespectful demeanor because he yawned and sat casual ... he did appear very tired, pale, jumpy and old beyond his years.

Joran ... having to appear before three women judges when he has a psychological eval stating that he is confrontational with women. No wonder his face was so twisted when he asked for a few days to think.

Like Knox, he was incarcerated in a foreign prison. One was given rehabilitation while the other was given a brutal, over-crowded Peruian prsion - soon to be in the Siberian Peruvian Mountains on fthe Bolivian border.

Perhaps the brutality of priosn brings out some of the truth.

Joran has admitted that he committed murder, but he's not ready to admit that he was violent and brutal for no reason. I think the three judges will throw the book at him. The fact that he is a murder suspect from 5 years earlier, to the day, reinforces the likelihood that he murdered her too ... not, as the defense suggests, that he was so traumatized by accusations of murder that he was driven to murder.

... what would determining his sentence for extortion years in advance achieve?

plus, what if he died in the peruvian prison or was killed? then the US/State of Alabama would have gone through all that time and expense for nothing really (except of course, a possible conviction merely "on the record").

This was one of the latest ones I read so who knows...

The US authorities are reportedly currently involved in negotiations with the Peruvian government to have Van der Sloot extradited to the US for trial immediately after his trial in Peru ends. He would then be returned to Peru to serve his sentence there before being definitively extradited to the US to serve what is expected to be another long term of imprisonment

http://tswi.org/africa/bulletin/van-der-sloot-trial-starts-friday

It will be interesting to see what transpires if and when JVDS is convicted in Peru.

This was taken from the treaty between the US and Peru, so it looks like it can be done.

http://www.oas.org/juridico/mla/en/traites/en_traites-ext-usa-per.pdf

Page 8, Article X

Article X addresses deferred and temporary surrender. Under Article
X(1) if a person whose extradition is sought is being prosecuted
or is serving a sentence in the Requested State, that State
may postpone the extradition proceedings against, or the surrender
of, that person until its prosecution has been concluded or the sentence
has been served. Alternatively, Article X(2) provides that in
such circumstances the Requested State may, in exceptional cases,
temporarily surrender the person to the Requesting State exclusively
for the purpose of prosecution. The person so surrendered is
to be kept in custody in the Requesting State and returned to the
Requested State after the conclusion of the proceedings against
that person, on conditions agreed between the Contracting States

plus, what if he died in the peruvian prison or was killed? then the US/State of Alabama would have gone through all that time and expense for nothing really (except of course, a possible conviction merely "on the record").
You partially got it. pretty obvious what the reasons are, which are not the 'obvious' IYKWIM.
good luck!

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. If so, my apology for duplicating it.

Wonder if JVDS has seen this and how he'd feel about an article about him AND the likes of Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacey?

fran

Joran van der Sloot and Other Famous Inmates with Groupies or Girlfriends

Joran van der Sloot, the young Dutchman charged with the murder of Stephany Flores, a 21 year-old Peruvian woman, and the number one suspect in the infamous disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway, has boasted about receiving marriage proposals while locked up,.....

full article at link ...................... http://www.thedailybeast.com/galler...lers-with-groupies-or-girlfriends-photos.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle