Police say parents are not answering vital questions #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you so much Mellissasmom, I really appreciated reading your personal story. Thank you for sharing it.
I have no idea of how I would act, respond, comply, cope, under such a horrible condition, as you and / or Debbie & Jeremy.
I think it is easy to say or think how we would respond / act but we don't really know unless we have been in those shoes. Even then we are all different.

Thank you so much Mellissasmom, I really appreciated reading your personal story. Thank you for sharing it.
I have no idea of how I would act, respond, comply, cope, under such a horrible condition, as you and / or Debbie & Jeremy.
I think it is easy to say or think how we would respond / act but we don't really know unless we have been in those shoes. Even then we are all different.

Thanks for your response, and you are welcome. I hope I didn't stall out this thread. Because I'm sure some people don't know how to respond, and that is ok. And I'm sure there are those who think I am a whackadoodie for even sharing that. It was extremely hard to write. BUT I just felt like I needed to do it. Because I wanted to show that people's reactions to things are not always the same. We all like to think that we will act a certain way if the unthinkable happens, but will we?

I probably shouldn't have acted like I did towards LE, and I think they kind of understood, or maybe not. Some of them were real nice, and some of them were not so nice. I did get a vibe from a couple of them that I didn't like.

In any case, I am normally very good in a crisis. When any of my kids say, hurt themselves and needed to go to the ER for stitches, my husband would be slightly hysterical and I just very calmly scooped them up and took them in. No crying or wringing of hands. When other people in my family have passsed away I didn't completely space out. But when something like this happens all bets are off as far as I am concerned. Everyone IS different.

I am going to tell a story from my viewpoint of this whole thing, as far as the initial days of Lisa's case, and what MAY have went on with her parents. Now, this is MY OPINION only, and it not the same type of case, but there are some things that are similar as far as LE goes ( I feel).

My daughter comitted suicide at age 16 by jumping off a bridge/highway overpass. The bridge is 125 ft high. There is a bar right underneath the overpass. At approx. 2:30 am one morning, some guys coming out of the bar went into the bushes near the overpass. I do not recall why they went into the bushes. Had to pee, to smoke a joint, something. These men found my daughter's body. The police were called. They found my daughters car parked at the side of the highway on the bridge. The car door was open, the glove box was open, there were some items scattered about.

Anyways, I was questioned by a bunch of LE. I don't even remember who was there, local cops, sheriffs, maybe state police. You have to understand, all of this is remembered in kind of a fog. I was in a fog from the moment I heard the words "Melissa is dead".

From the moment I heard those words, I can not even describe what it was like. Kind of like a sign flashing in my head, a loop "she's dead. she's dead. my baby is dead. she's dead...." and on and on. I truly don't think i was even hearing clearly WHAT people were saying to me.

LE asked questions: when did you see her last, what was she wearing, who are her friends, what was she doing last night, etc. etc. etc. Over and over. And over. I happened to be on a weeks vacation from work at the time. The night before I had went with some friends from work to the bar as we belonged to a darts league. So I spent my evening playing darts and having a couple drinks. Maybe 2, I don't remember.

So as the police are asking me questions, I don't know if I was even hearing the questions correctly, hell I don't think I was even thinking. All there was was that damn loop" she's dead, shes dead. did she suffer, whathappened, shes dead. oh my poor baby. oh my god this is not real." And yes, I started getting aggravated. They just kept throwing questions at me, my brain wasn't working. At one point, I did snap, and I yelled at them. A lot. Something along the lines of "What the f#$@ do you want from me?!!!" Was this the proper way to act with LE? No, no it wasn't. I have no excuse other then I was shocked. In pain. Confused. I really don't know how to even descibe it. Now, you would think, since my child was dead, no one knew what happened, that I would focus on answering those questions, to find out WHAT happened to my precious child. But I didn't. I did try. But I just wasn't thinking clearly.

So I guess I just didn't do it right. I don't know. But whenever I think of Lisa's parents, I wonder, what was going through their minds when they were being questioned? Did they have a loop like I did? Did they just become aggravated, because of the shock, the unknowing?. I don't know. And I realize, a missing child is not the same as a dead child. But I think there are a lot of similarities to the situation.

Anyways, I just wanted people to see things from the point of view of someone who has went through something similar. Not the same.

Oh, and a suicide note was eventually found that my daughter wrote, so that closed the case.

ETA: I AM SORRY FOR THIS POST BEING OFF TOPIC :(
And yes, I realize that this doesnt explain why they won't talk to local LE today. I'm just talking about those first couple days.

:grouphug: I am so sorry, melissasmom. All of my other words seem paltry.

melissasmom, I am so very sorry. Bless you for trusting us with your story.

Thanks for your response, and you are welcome. I hope I didn't stall out this thread. Because I'm sure some people don't know how to respond, and that is ok. And I'm sure there are those who think I am a whackadoodie for even sharing that. It was extremely hard to write. BUT I just felt like I needed to do it. Because I wanted to show that people's reactions to things are not always the same. We all like to think that we will act a certain way if the unthinkable happens, but will we?

I probably shouldn't have acted like I did towards LE, and I think they kind of understood, or maybe not. Some of them were real nice, and some of them were not so nice. I did get a vibe from a couple of them that I didn't like.

In any case, I am normally very good in a crisis. When any of my kids say, hurt themselves and needed to go to the ER for stitches, my husband would be slightly hysterical and I just very calmly scooped them up and took them in. No crying or wringing of hands. When other people in my family have passsed away I didn't completely space out. But when something like this happens all bets are off as far as I am concerned. Everyone IS different.

Thank you for your story. I agree with you, everyone is different in how they deal with adverse conditions. I can foresee a scenario similar to your as it concerns the parents and that since that time, the situation has been exasperated by multiple people around them telling them that LE is the enemy, LE is only focusing on them, etc. It doesn't mean it's the correct advice.

If the parents are not directly responsible, then one or both are involved and have guilty knowledge, imo.

I have read every post about how they talked to LE for 4 days (until the gaps and inconsistencies arose and couldn't be filled, imo), about how we all have a 5th amendment right not to incriminate ourselves (they are being asked for vital details about the home and people coming/going, if that's incriminating, points to guilt imo), about how LE should have been kinder to Debbi when LE was checking their statements and the gaps (which are "holes" btw) started appearing, and Debbi herself admitted that she couldn't fill them in... At that point, LE should have come down hard on her, imo. They were racing against the clock to find a live baby, no time for pussyfooting. Parents who put their child first would understand that, imo.

I've seen LE, the lawyers and the media blamed for the parents lack of cooperation. Imo, whether to cooperate or not in the search for their missing 1 year old is solely the decision of the parents, regardless of who is advising them one way or the other. These parents choose not to cooperate even though they have lawyers who will not let them be led into any false confessions,true confessions, etc... I've read that these two parents are naive, though I haven't seen anything to suggest such. They both have faced challenges in life, been in long term relationships, owned or taken care of a home, worked, socialized, raised children, gone to court...

I have considered everything and truly wanted to believe that the parents aren't involved. But, they are involved, imo. No way around it in my mind, if I look at it objectively. It simply doesn't make sense that they won't answer questions alone or separately with their very capable lawyers in tow. It doesn't make sense to give them credit for cooperating for 4 days when the baby has been missing for months and the investigation appears stalled by lack of information that the mother may be able to provide. It doesn't make sense to excuse the mother because she was drinking or drunk or blacked out when it's a fact that people do things under those conditions every single day that are terrible and inexplicable (and many times hidden from others).

Imo, the only reasonable explanation the parents continue to refuse to answer vital questions for LE is because they have things to hide in regards to Lisa's disappearance. I suspect Debbi is very directly involved and Jeremy may have become involved after-the-fact. Either way, they do not want to answer questions for the people investigating their daughter's disappearance. There is a reason and it's not innocence and fear of being treated badly - that makes no sense considering their legal representation and the sacrifices an innocent parent would make for their helpless baby. ALL JMO.

I bumped this post because it is a complete synopsis and a very well written take on the Lisa Irwin Case and her parents cooperation. I think it explains how many feel.

I had no idea JI's employer was so vocal. I also has no idea his empolyer was a male...hmm. It appears they must have a close relationship.

Does anyone know if JI worked alone the night in question? He drove the Company van home, I see. To my kge, there is only one truck for this company. Did he leave his car at home or did he leave it at Starbucks? I saw a large tan SUV in the driveway parked in the back. Who's car is that?

I bumped this post because it is a complete synopsis and a very well written take on the Lisa Irwin Case and her parents cooperation. I think it explains how many feel.

It has been said however, that the parents ARE cooperating with the FBI, that is who they are working with. It seems to be only local LE that the problem lies with.
And yes, you would think that no matter what the lawyers say the parents are going to do what they want. If they want to speak about Lisa against the advice of counsel, they would. I just think there is a great fear there, with DB and JI, after the way Local LE treated them. Maybe DB IS afraid of being arrested. Because even if you have a lawyer, it doesn't mean the police can't arrest you.

JMO

Of course they are cooperating with the FBI. Attorneys love the FBI. Freedom of Information Act, etc.

The FBI didn't take over this case...to my kge. It is spin from attorneys; it softens up the hard line of people hearng they're not talking to LE.. Obviously the FBI can't get the answers that the local LE need. The FBI are not interrogating them about a timeline. That is the call of the local PD.

Take it with a grain of salt when the attorneys tell they are cooperating with the FBI. IOW, the FBI are the ones performing critical test, etc. So the parents are cooperating by giving them samples...and perhaps explaining phone calls (maybe)...if FBI retrieved the cell phone evidence.

I'm pretty sure that KCPD is in charge of this case. Without a body, it will be a hard call to to arrest DB right now. <Mod Snip>.

Of course they are cooperating with the FBI. Attorneys love the FBI. Freedom of Information Act, etc.

The FBI didn't take over this case...to my kge. It is spin from attorneys; it softens up the hard line of people hearng they're not talking to LE.. Obviously the FBI can't get the answers that the local LE need. The FBI are not interrogating them about a timeline. That is the call of the local PD.

Take it with a grain of salt when the attorneys tell they are cooperating with the FBI. IOW, the FBI are the ones performing critical test, etc. So the parents are cooperating by giving them samples...and perhaps explaining phone calls (maybe)...if FBI retrieved the cell phone evidence.

I'm pretty sure that KCPD is in charge of this case. Without a body, it will be a hard call to to arrest DB right now. <Mod Snip>.

The FBI was very much involved in the case. Their dogs were use, they searched the home. Isn't evidence sent to FBI labs?

Why would they trust the FBI and not local LE?

Melissasmom,
A loving hug for you. You're written a powerful post that made me think about what Lisa's parents could be going through. Everyday I hope one or both parents remembers some little detail that leads them and LE to Lisa.

The FBI was very much involved in the case. Their dogs were use, they searched the home. Isn't evidence sent to FBI labs?

Why would they trust the FBI and not local LE?

In every case I've covered the FBI offers their services. They have mobile labs and can process evidence, you are correct. They have almost everything a local PD would need to speed up an investigation. Heck, they will even profile.

So of course, they are cooperating. Everyone cooperates with the FBI. However, the FBI is not the agency that solves this crime. That will be local LE and that will be who talks to the parents to get information they need to find Lisa.

In every case I've covered the FBI offers their services. They have mobile labs and can process evidence, you are correct. They have almost everything a local PD would need to speed up an investigation. Heck, they will even profile.

So of course, they are cooperating. Everyone cooperates with the FBI. However, the FBI is not the agency that solves this crime. That will be local LE and that will be who talks to the parents to get information they need to find Lisa.

Sorry still not getting it. The FBI works in conjunction with other LE agencies. All evidence including whatever is revealed to them during interviews is handed over to the respective agency in charge of the case.

If true that DB and JI are cooperating with the FBI and not local LE, perhaps it really is a trust issue. They don't trust their local PD.

Sorry still not getting it. The FBI works in conjunction with other LE agencies. All evidence including whatever is revealed to them during interviews is handed over to the respective agency in charge of the case.

If true that DB and JI are cooperating with the FBI and not local LE, perhaps it really is a trust issue. They don't trust their local PD.

It is a matter of semantics and spin by their lawyers. Their idea of "cooperation" might be to let FBI investigators into the house without a warrant. You are correct, the FBI does work with agencies and they share information. I doubt these parents have been interrogated individually by an FBI agent.

JMO

I had no idea JI's employer was so vocal. I also has no idea his empolyer was a male...hmm. It appears they must have a close relationship.

Does anyone know if JI worked alone the night in question? He drove the Company van home, I see. To my kge, there is only one truck for this company. Did he leave his car at home or did he leave it at Starbucks? I saw a large tan SUV in the driveway parked in the back. Who's car is that?

I get your drift..!

the post this refers to expresses exactly why i posted what i did about marc klaas in the now closed thread... innocent parents like mr klaas do everything... unlike these "parents" who refuse the separate interviews. they may have done everything initially, but they still should be to this day.

Thank you, I thought it was because I just woke that I wasn't getting it, now after 2 trips outside and a cup of coffee, it still leaves me :waitasec:

Posting this for discussion, from Oct.10th. I think this is very interesting. I really have to wonder how this case would be different if LE would have tread lightly on the parents in the beginning.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1110/10/ijvm.01.html
MIKE LERETTE: There`s just a lot of miscommunication, to be honest. That they were being interviewed again downtown. And after several hours, Jeremy -- Deborah was already gone, and Jeremy said, "I had enough for today." And as soon as they left was when they announced there was an impromptu press conference. They said, you know, were -- you know, the parents aren`t -- or the family is not cooperating any more. And that was -- that was that.

It makes no sense why people would threaten the searchers on the basis that they don't believe the parents are innocent. Wouldn't they want the child to be found, regardless of who they believe is responsible?

If the woman truly believes she has information, she should be telling LE, not JI's employer.

Never mind, too many weird people involved in this case.

It is a matter of semantics and spin by their lawyers. Their idea of "cooperation" might be to let FBI investigators into the house without a warrant. You are correct, the FBI does work with agencies and they share information. I doubt these parents have been interrogated individually by an FBI agent.

JMO

bbm
If that's the case, then wouldn't that be considered cooperating with investigators? If that's not considered cooperating, I don't know what is.

I think regardless of what agency they decide to communicate with is irrelevant. Both work in conjunction with each other so ultimately whatever is gleened from an interview, evidence or whatever will be handed over to local PD. Yes, indirectly but who cares if the end result is solving the case. They allowed their children to be interviewed so imo, there is some dialogue going on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Askmetomorrow2
Back