Possible IT, Computer & Tech. Connection to the Long Island Case, Perp & Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most people don't even have all the time the same IP address. You log on at your provider and get a temporary IP address, called a lease, from a server. Next time you get online, you have maybe another address while someone on the other end of the city has the one you used yesterday.

Peter

I can't account for all ISP's but the major one in the Long Island area holds leases for about a month. I've seen them last longer, seen them last less. Average is about a month.

"If somone had, or used, a specific IP address back in, say, 2006, is it , in any way, possible that a new, totaly unrelated/different person, are using that EXACT same IP in 2011 /2012?
Yes. IP's are released and renewed. The ISP will have a log of IP to Account number timestamped and on file.

Meaning; if a person, at some point, stop using his/her IP address, is it possible that somone else, are given/ can "take over" that IP address?
OR is an IP address, for ever connected to the one person who got the IP address in the first place?" <- added quote.
It is absolutely possible unless you have a business account and you pay for a static ip address. Then as long as your account is up to date, you lease that address and it never changes. Remember we are talking WAN addressing, not internal LAN which is network specific depending on the configuration.

The amount of time for a lease should not matter. I am 99% sure ample records are stored where the ISP will know exactly who is using which IP address at a certain time. Also doesnt the compluter itself leave a "fingerprint" that is unique to the machine?

The amount of time for a lease should not matter. I am 99% sure ample records are stored where the ISP will know exactly who is using which IP address at a certain time. Also doesnt the compluter itself leave a "fingerprint" that is unique to the machine?

Not the computer per say for WAN IP addressing but the modem had a hardware address (MAC) which is associated with the IP they assign. They will have records of that. If you wanted to be sneaky (which I was doing when wireless ethernet first came out), you just buy a used laptop so your name has nothing to do with it. Go wardriving until you find an open SSID broadcasting and jump on that chumps network. If you want to get on a locked one it usually just takes a bit more time.:bananalama: If someone traces the IP, it never comes back to you, just the poor guy with the $30 wireless router.

I can't account for all ISP's but the major one in the Long Island area holds leases for about a month. I've seen them last longer, seen them last less. Average is about a month.

"If somone had, or used, a specific IP address back in, say, 2006, is it , in any way, possible that a new, totaly unrelated/different person, are using that EXACT same IP in 2011 /2012?
Yes. IP's are released and renewed. The ISP will have a log of IP to Account number timestamped and on file.

Meaning; if a person, at some point, stop using his/her IP address, is it possible that somone else, are given/ can "take over" that IP address?
OR is an IP address, for ever connected to the one person who got the IP address in the first place?" <- added quote.
It is absolutely possible unless you have a business account and you pay for a static ip address. Then as long as your account is up to date, you lease that address and it never changes. Remember we are talking WAN addressing, not internal LAN which is network specific depending on the configuration.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. Well, except that you can have a static IP without being a business :) I answered upthread as vaguely as I did because I do not know where this IP addy in question came from. From something posted on a public site that shows the poster's IP? A referring IP on one site from another? From a traceroute to some individual's private website? From an email header? From what? Without knowing the source of the IP (where TheForeigner got it) it's hard to tell much about it, whether it would be static or dynamic, or if it would point to an end-user's computer's IP at all. It could be completely meaningless for a random person trying to confirm another person's identity, depending on where this IP was found.

From reading your above post, I'm sure you know all this. Just elaborating for anyone who may not :)

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. Well, except that you can have a static IP without being a business :) I answered upthread as vaguely as I did because I do not know where this IP addy in question came from. From something posted on a public site that shows the poster's IP? A referring IP on one site from another? From a traceroute to some individual's private website? From an email header? From what? Without knowing the source of the IP (where TheForeigner got it) it's hard to tell much about it, whether it would be static or dynamic, or if it would point to an end-user's computer's IP at all. It could be completely meaningless for a random person trying to confirm another person's identity, depending on where this IP was found.

From reading your above post, I'm sure you know all this. Just elaborating for anyone who may not :)

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Can you explain? I'm lost.

I have 5 static IP's, a non business can obtain one from this ISP but it is unlikely someone would pay the extra money for one.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Can you explain? I'm lost.

I have 5 static IP's, a non business can obtain one from this ISP but it is unlikely someone would pay the extra money for one.

Sorry! The thing about a non-business entity having a static IP was just a side point. Obviously you know private individuals can have them, as you have 5. I figured you were just generalizing, but it really doesn't matter :)

And the rest does not much matter either. I was just pointing out that many things have an IP address, and without knowing where the OP (original poster) got the IP in question, we can't really know if the IP points to an individual end user. It could be an IP assigned to a mail server, or proxy server, or who knows what. I was going on the assumption that OP did not have much technical experience, since they were asking if an IP address could ever be used by 2 different end users. Based on that assumption, I was not sure if what OP had was an IP that was assigned to an end-user's pc, or possibly something else.
I hope that makes more sense. :abnormal:

Interesting article. Would like to know more about what is referred to as "tower dumps" and has this been utilized in this case. I really hope they're exhausting every avenue such as ones like these. So many serial killer cases are solved by cross referencing lists.

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-millions-of-cellphone-are-police-watching

Basically, what you get with a tower dump is the log file of a specific tower. Like:
phone x logged onto tower y at [time]
phone z logged of tower y at [time] ... as in lost contact, three watchdog pings not returned.

So what the tower dump actually answers is, which phones were at a given time in range of the tower rather then where was a specific phone.

Basically, what you get with a tower dump is the log file of a specific tower. Like:
phone x logged onto tower y at [time]
phone z logged of tower y at [time] ... as in lost contact, three watchdog pings not returned.

So what the tower dump actually answers is, which phones were at a given time in range of the tower rather then where was a specific phone.

And so a phone would not even have to have made a call but simply be on and in range to register at a tower??

And so a phone would not even have to have made a call but simply be on and in range to register at a tower??

Yep, as long as it's on, it holds contact to the nearest tower, as in log in on that tower. That's something it does on it's own.
Even if it's off, it's not really off. It's not logged in regularly. But if LE for example have a specific phone or rather, one with a specific SIM-card in mind, they can send out blind a command from the tower to switch it on. Then the phone activates and logs in to the tower. Technically, you can make a cell phone doing cartwheels that way. Well, maybe not cartwheels, but for example switch it on, activate the mic and use it as listening device. Or ask certain apps about your whereabouts in the last hours (as in not only where you are now, but where you have been). Thumb rule is, the smarter your smart phone, the more it is willing to tell about you and not for all of those acts and under all conditions LE would need warrants. Here in the US it depends partially on the state you are in and partially on what you are suspected of.

Yep, as long as it's on, it holds contact to the nearest tower, as in log in on that tower. That's something it does on it's own.
Even if it's off, it's not really off. It's not logged in regularly. But if LE for example have a specific phone or rather, one with a specific SIM-card in mind, they can send out blind a command from the tower to switch it on. Then the phone activates and logs in to the tower. Technically, you can make a cell phone doing cartwheels that way. Well, maybe not cartwheels, but for example switch it on, activate the mic and use it as listening device. Or ask certain apps about your whereabouts in the last hours (as in not only where you are now, but where you have been). Thumb rule is, the smarter your smart phone, the more it is willing to tell about you and not for all of those acts and under all conditions LE would need warrants. Here in the US it depends partially on the state you are in and partially on what you are suspected of.

Correct. That's why you never want a dual sim phone when your doing naughty things. (pulling the battery loses both sim connections) =) If you pull the battery, no commands can be sent to turn it on. I'm pretty sure the perp did this.......BUT as we all know, certain phones like Iphones can't have the battery easily pulled.

The phones used to make contact have not been found, correct?

Correct. That's why you never want a dual sim phone when your doing naughty things. (pulling the battery loses both sim connections) =) If you pull the battery, no commands can be sent to turn it on. I'm pretty sure the perp did this.......BUT as we all know, certain phones like Iphones can't have the battery easily pulled.

Nope, the phones haven't been found. They found one burner registration, which was registered on "Mickeymouse" (Not "Mickey Mouse"), but not the phone itself.

Oh, and before I forget it, iPhones have allegedly enough condensators (wjat are those things called in English) on the board to execute some little commands also without battery. Just for some split seconds, but that can be a lot if you only need one pin. So on an iphone and some other models, you need to pull the SIM-card as well.

Oh, and before I forget it, iPhones have allegedly enough condensators (wjat are those things called in English) on the board to execute some little commands also without battery. Just for some split seconds, but that can be a lot if you only need one pin. So on an iphone and some other models, you need to pull the SIM-card as well.

Capacitors. And they don't power the transmitter unit inside an iphone (at least gen 1-3). So yes, they hold a charge but no, they will not power the unit to receive a 'command'. Other phones may though.

Yes - Best bet is to pull the sim, but if you happen to detect a wifi signal, that will be logged. Apple is sneaky.

Does anyone have more information on this 'mickey mouse' account phone? Also, why was it even registered? You can go to 7-11 or Walmart and buy one of those pay as you go phones that you don't have to register.

So, what other purpose do these hypothetical sockpuppets, straw men, meat puppets and SNERTs serve besides what has been already mentioned in my posts about each of them? Well, working together and/or alone they can “game a website.”

Gaming a web site means doing various things to achieve your goals, often in a sneaky, underhanded, unethical manner that violates the rules or terms of service of websites such as online-gaming sites, blogs and forums that have multiple outside users contributing content to a website.

Often this consists of creating multiple user accounts for a site, and using those accounts to boost the popularity of a "main" account or persona. On a website where multiple outside users contribute content, the same technique can be used to buttress an idea and/or opinion and to give the impression that the idea/opinion has more supporters than it actually does. For example, one might create multiple accounts and have all those accounts up-vote or thumbs up a single account or that single or “main" accounts postings thereby artificially increasing the perceived value or reputation of that main account. This tactic is also used by cyberbullies to give the impression that a group of unrelated people are in opposition to another person or persons.

A person might create multiple accounts when they first establish a presence on a site and then start using them over the course of time. Alternatively, a person might simply create new accounts as needed to do the same thing. It is also possible for a person to hack/crack into a website's system to search for dormant accounts and take those over.

Some sites will have measures in place to prevent this behavior. Most commonly, this involves limiting a user to only having one account or profile per email address. This is easily defeated as there are many places you can get as many free email accounts as you want, such as Google, Hotmail, Yahoo etc.

More sophisticated sites try to prevent this behavior by limiting a user to one account per IP address. This is not always effective, as a lot of Internet service providers give their users "dynamic" IP addresses which means that the IP address might be different every day or every time you restart your cable or dsl modem.

It's also pretty easy to come to a site with a different IP address using proxy servers or other means of spoofing your IP address. You might log on to one account from your home computer, another from your smart phone, and another from a coffee shop or open wifi access point. This method is easy and simple and doesn't call for any tech know-how.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

Could the LI perp be "gaming a website" to misdirect LE and investigators, influence public opinion, feed his enormous ego, pacify his huge craving for attention, taunt LE, mock the victims' families and loved ones, lie, thumb his nose at authority, treat the rights and thought/feelings of others with contempt, gratify his need for control and/or launch a defense strategy?

Wow...just Wow!

If you feel a post is against TOS please alert and please don't reply to said post. It just makes more work for the Mods if the post needs to be removed. If you all have any questions you can pm me or any of the Mods. Thank you.

Ima

wow, for sure----it was happening on another site pertaining to this case-

I would be interested in a psych. profile of the type of person who would perpetrate such as freud. I would think that you would have to be

a. SEVERLY disturbed (unbalanced)

or

b. A sociopath with an agenda

In order to go to such elaborate means to decieve people.

Can anybody give me a more complete analysis?

Not the computer per say for WAN IP addressing but the modem had a hardware address (MAC) which is associated with the IP they assign. They will have records of that. If you wanted to be sneaky (which I was doing when wireless ethernet first came out), you just buy a used laptop so your name has nothing to do with it. Go wardriving until you find an open SSID broadcasting and jump on that chumps network. If you want to get on a locked one it usually just takes a bit more time.:bananalama: If someone traces the IP, it never comes back to you, just the poor guy with the $30 wireless router.

Thank you PC...I am the poor guy with the $30.00 router haha! And feeling very much like a bananalama...:gasp:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back